Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Drive comparison

Started by PorkSoda, October 20, 2014, 06:45:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoggles

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 21, 2014, 01:39:34 pm
Its funny, earlier in the season we heard people saying, "we need to throw it more on first down!"

Now, we attempt to throw it on first down, and we get sacked or something, and now everyone is saying, "we need to run it more!"

Our hindsight OC's are fantastic here on Hogville.

Were they the same posters? If not, all you have done is point out that some fans will have opposing opinions, which isn't something that needs to be pointed out.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HF#1 on October 21, 2014, 02:34:39 pm
Don't you think we were forced into throwing after our first drive?  Two big plays by Georgia then we started turning it over. 

We weren't just throwing it because it's what Chaney thinks we are best at...
no we were not forced to throw after the first drive.  chaney chose to throw instead of doing what was obviously working.  that got us in a hole quick, then he tried to throw us out of the hole, and only dug us deeper.

we are good at running the ball.  running the ball takes commitment.  chaney is not committed to the run, he wants to pass.  he has proven over and over again.  he doesn't care what we are good at, he just cares about what he wants to do.  we are not texas tech, he needs to quit acting like we are.

georgia only threw 17 passes, we threw like 45 or 50 (with an injured QB)  Chaney is the new MOTHO.  not really, I'm sure he knows passing games inside and out.  but the fact remains, passing is not our strength, and its not going to magically become a strength by passing every down.  meanwhile, our top of the conference rushing attack is sitting around wondering WTH
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Hoggles

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 21, 2014, 02:58:03 pm
no we were not forced to throw after the first drive.  chaney chose to throw instead of doing what was obviously working.  that got us in a hole quick, then he tried to throw us out of the hole, and only dug us deeper.

we are good at running the ball.  running the ball takes commitment.  chaney is not committed to the run, he wants to pass.  he has proven over and over again.  he doesn't care what we are good at, he just cares about what he wants to do.  we are not texas tech, he needs to quit acting like we are.

georgia only threw 17 passes, we threw like 45 or 50 (with an injured QB)  Chaney is the new MOTHO.

Someone posted a link to some old Tennessee board's posts about Chaney from several years ago about a month ago, and their complaints more or less mirrored yours. Hopefully CBB shows him the door after the season's over.

PorkSoda

October 21, 2014, 03:07:26 pm #53 Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:54:14 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: Hoggles on October 21, 2014, 03:02:57 pm
Someone posted a link to some old Tennessee board's posts about Chaney from several years ago about a month ago, and their complaints more or less mirrored yours. Hopefully CBB shows him the door after the season's over.
I just wish he'd put the hand cuffs on him.  give him a pass quota, and tell him to stick to it or else.  I don't want to install a whole new system each season.  I just want chaney to do the right thing.  we are a smashmouth team, the defense is doing its part, the offense needs to stick to the game plan.

Chaney's thought process seems to go something like this.

The run is working, time to pass

or

The run is not working, time to pass.

or

The pass is not working, time to pass.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Harleigh Hog on October 20, 2014, 09:42:06 pm
The football knowledge by some around here is amazing!

If you watched the game and paid attention (not just review the box scores at the end), you would notice that GA was in a base defense for the entire first drive. We can run the ball down the throats of anyone in the country who doesn't stack the box against the run, and on the first drive that's exactly what we did. Beginning with the second drive and for the rest of the time that the game was in question (basically until 38-6) GA had at least 9 and sometimes 10 guys within 4 yards of the LOS.
If we ever want to compete in the SEC we MUST be able to throw the ball when the opposing team basically dares us to do so. When we can do that the results will be obvious and will reopen the run game.  The reasons that we haven't are the subject of debate in about 10 new threads every day. My personal opinion is that we just don't have the QB and WR's yet to consistently be successful in passing situations. 
I think that currently 8 or 9 players on our staring offense are good enough to win games right now. The problem is that due to lack of depth, that's all we got! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why late game production is lacking in our offense this year. Run blocking is extremely diffucult and physically taxing due to the amount of time the line must hold their blocks and drive the defense away from the play. We are essentially one deep on the line right now with sec quality lineman. Pound a young running back up the middle 30+ times a game and your begging for a short season as the year wears on.
I'm not saying Chaney is calling it perfect, I scratch my head with some of his decisions as well. However folks must understand that you won't line up and run the ball play after play on legit sec defenses with a stacked box. As confusing as it sounds I think at least once this year BA will have a good game early against a good team and then watch our offense hum, running and passing! Don't give me the crap about what we did to Nichols and Tech because once the game was in hand we were so deep in the depth chart that the announcers were lost (ie fresh bodies up front).

Did anyone hear Troy Aikman on the Cowboys vs Giants fox telecast on Sunday? He said this out of his own mouth. If the Cowboys never ran the ball with 8, 9, or even 10 men in the box they wouldn't have won championships and Emmitt Smith wouldn't be the all time leading rusher in NFL history! So how about we just pass the ball every time the defense has more than 7 in the box?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Bebop

Even with Chaney abandoning the run at times, I wonder why our passing game is not as good as our running game? Some of it is talent and Allen missing open receivers, but I think there's something more to it.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Bebop on October 21, 2014, 03:33:45 pm
Even with Chaney abandoning the run at times, I wonder why our passing game is not as good as our running game? Some of it is talent and Allen missing open receivers, but I think there's something more to it.

run blocking vs pass blocking.  BB has been recruiting run blockers and it shows.  we need to stick to what we are good at, and try to be efficient with our use of the passing game. 

BB is going to find it harder and harder to recruit, the more he lets chaney get away from his core philosophy of smash mouth and defense.