Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB's Grade

Started by TheRazorbackGuy, October 20, 2014, 03:40:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What is CBB grade through a year and a half?

A
61 (11.9%)
B
189 (36.9%)
C
121 (23.6%)
D
88 (17.2%)
F
53 (10.4%)

Total Members Voted: 498

eusebius

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 20, 2014, 09:03:26 pm
+ 1 million if I could.

There is more to life than winning football games.  Teaching and molding youngsters, helping them to become outstanding citizens and grown men, is worth far more than wins and losses on the field. 

That said, I think we will see a couple of SEC wins next year, and get back to the Independence or Liberty bowl.   Once we get to 2018, and see the full fruits of CBB's system, folks are going to be very happy that we were patient.

Wait until 2018? Can we get shirts made? '14, '15, '16, '17  . . . '18. There's patience and then there's lunacy. 
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: eusebius on October 21, 2014, 11:40:31 am
Wait until 2018? Can we get shirts made? '14, '15, '16, '17  . . . '18. There's patience and then there's lunacy. 

If the losing pace continues then 2018 will be another coaching staff. Probably after 2015 if we are 1-23 in SEC play

thefisher

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 21, 2014, 11:39:01 am
Pointless comment. There was a conference win in those 3 games

Pointless .... hardly.  Pointed and accurately to the point ... definitely.
I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

hogcard1964

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 21, 2014, 11:43:11 am
If the losing pace continues then 2018 will be another coaching staff. Probably after 2015 if we are 1-23 in SEC play

I have news for you and everyone elese that is trying to claim this failure should be expected and accepted.  If BB goes winless again this season within the SEC, he will not make it to 2015 as our head coach.

Justified or not, I don't know of any other head coach that failed to win one conference game withing his first two seasons and was allowed to keep his job.

Kevin

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 21, 2014, 11:57:01 am
I have news for you and everyone elese that is trying to claim this failure should be expected and accepted.  If BB goes winless again this season within the SEC, he will not make it to 2015 as our head coach.

Justified or not, I don't know of any other head coach that failed to win one conference game withing his first two seasons and was allowed to keep his job.

good point, but he will still be here.
too much money
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

TheRazorbackGuy

I think he will be the coach in 2015 even if UAB is the only win left. This has more to do with the top 15 recruiting class coming in. I do think he will be on the hot seat in 2015 if he starts his career in the SEC at 0-16

Dropkick

Boy, I bet that B average is pissing some of you whiners off.

Atlhogfan1

Staff building:  A
Recruiting: B
Off the field: A
In game: C
Game preparation: B

I don't know if Bielema will make it at Arkansas or not.  I've already stated multiple times that if forced to say I would go with this will prove to have been a bad career decision for him to come to try rebuild our program at this time. 

I do know firing him after this season should not even be considered for many reasons other than the buyout and to suggest it is stupid. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

WilsonHog

I all but guarantee that won't happen.

hogcard1964

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 21, 2014, 12:08:22 pm
I all but guarantee that won't happen.

I as well.  Simply because I believe we'll win (3) more games this year.

gchamblee

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 21, 2014, 07:57:28 am
Sides are forming.

yep... the georgia types on one side, and the florida state types on the other

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 21, 2014, 12:10:43 pm
I as well.  Simply because I believe we'll win (3) more games this year.

Hogcard, do you really? I only see one guarenteed win and the posibility of winning two or three but not likely.

gchamblee

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 21, 2014, 11:39:01 am
Pointless comment. There was a conference win in those 3 games

so youre ok with being 3-4 as long as 1 of the 3 is a conference win. got it.

gchamblee

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 21, 2014, 12:00:56 pm
I think he will be the coach in 2015 even if UAB is the only win left. This has more to do with the top 15 recruiting class coming in. I do think he will be on the hot seat in 2015 if he starts his career in the SEC at 0-16

our 2015 recruiting class will probably fall apart if the lunacy of fans wanting to fire the coach after 2 years becomes something commonly discussed. who in their right mind would come play here when we fly planes over our stadiums and try to fire coaches after 2 years. i wouldnt, nor would i let my son. you dumbasses are doing serious damage with your idiotic witch hunt.

thefisher

Not exactly the same but pretty darn close was Bill Snyder. Yeah, that Bill Snyder. The one coaching at Kansas State. The one who plays on a home field named, "The Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium".

1-10 his first season including 0-7 on conference. Another losing season his second season including 2-5 in conference. Went 2-5 in conference again his fourth year. In fact it was his FIFTH year before he got his first bowl eligible team!

I haven't heard many willing to wait five years to go bowling with CBB for the first time.

However after that difficult start for Snyder he now sits at a 105 - 69 in conference record playing in a stadium named after himself. 

CBB is from Snyders immediate coaching tree. Folks need to let all that sink in.

I miss the smell of the mud, grass, and sweat of the practice field. I miss blood oozing down your arm from the rip in your skin that was slashed on a guys helmet as you punked him at the line of scrimmage and put his dobber in the dirt.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 20, 2014, 11:28:18 pm
I have come to the conclusion that no only the university...but the majority of Arkansans would put winning way down the list compared to integrity/morals. It's just our mentality.

In my opinion it's a major factor as to why we will never be a top tier SEC football team, and most likely never win a championship. Winning at a sustained high level just isn't really THAT important to most Hog fans or the university.

I know when the whistle blows everyone wants the Hogs to win, but honestly, as a whole...I don't think we take it nearly as seriously as most of our other SEC foes.

We will never be a top tier SEC football program because of the recruiting base compared to the competition and the depth of the competition.  It has nothing to do with morality or fans' attitudes towards winning.  Winning at a sustained high level won't happen.  The program recruits and produces too few NFL caliber defensive players in the deepest conference as far as talent in college football. 

We take it as seriously.  We are just as crazy as the rest except perhaps Bama.  I would say even moreso than Miss St or Ole Miss fans. 

I haven't put winning down the list.  I just have a perspective about winning and expectations for our program.  We can have top tier SEC football teams and will again.  I'm bolding this as there is a difference between having a top tier team and program.  A program is sustained.  It is difficult to sustain it at Arkansas.  To even have a chance, the program needs stability which we haven't had since we have been in the SEC.  And please don't say Nutt staying 10 seasons was a sign of stability as we know that circus with the drama, free passes and scapegoat coordinators going through the revolving door brought little stability.

We are down right now and probably at our lowest point since at least 1990 if not pre Broyles era which might as well have been a different sport.  It is going to take a while to build out of this.

Perhaps you believe we don't take it as seriously because not all of us are throwing tantrums and crying because a coach was fired or he wasn't replaced by who we wanted or because we are man enough to not fall apart while this rebuild happens.  We knew from the ULM loss this was going to be difficult for a while.  Some of us can take it while others can't.

As far as our program winning, Nutt was a 7.5 wins per year coach and Petrino 8.5.  Around 8 wins a season and a staff capable of taking those good seasons and maxing the teams potential and not having the bottom fall out in the down cycles should be the expectation for our program.  We should also expect the players and coaches to not disrespect or embarrass the program off the field.  We haven't had this combination of winning and off the field behavior since perhaps the Hatfield era which took place in a much different football world than we are in now.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hogsenburg

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 12:54:58 pm
So over 50% have voted C or worse.

Guess those are all labeled as Haters?

Nope just fans......

thefisher

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 12:54:58 pm
So over 50% have voted C or worse.

Guess those are all labeled as Haters?

Hmmm .... you may also notice that 48% (almost half) give CBB a grade of A or B and 71.5% are at C or better. Just under three quarters of all votes have CBB at average or above average at this point. Nearly half of votes are at above average.

Hogsenburg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 21, 2014, 12:57:29 pm
We will never be a top tier SEC football program because of the recruiting base compared to the competition and the depth of the competition.  It has nothing to do with morality or fans' attitudes towards winning.  Winning at a sustained high level won't happen.  The program recruits and produces too few NFL caliber defensive players in the deepest conference as far as talent in college football. 

We take it as seriously.  We are just as crazy as the rest except perhaps Bama.  I would say even moreso than Miss St or Ole Miss fans. 

I haven't put winning down the list.  I just have a perspective about winning and expectations for our program.  We can have top tier SEC football teams and will again.  I'm bolding this as there is a difference between having a top tier team and program.  A program is sustained.  It is difficult to sustain it at Arkansas.  To even have a chance, the program needs stability which we haven't had since we have been in the SEC.  And please don't say Nutt staying 10 seasons was a sign of stability as we know that circus with the drama, free passes and scapegoat coordinators going through the revolving door brought stability.

We are down right now and probably at our lowest point since at least 1990 if not pre Broyles era which might as well have been a different sport.  It is going to take a while to build out of this.

Perhaps you believe we don't take it as seriously because not all of us are throwing tantrums and crying because a coach was fired or he wasn't replaced by who we wanted or because we are man enough to not fall apart while this rebuild happens.  We knew from the ULM loss this was going to be difficult for a while.  Some of us can take while other can't.

As far as our program winning, Nutt was a 7.5 wins per year coach and Petrino 8.5.  Around 8 wins a season and a staff capable of taking those good seasons and maxing the teams potential and not having the bottom fall out in the down cycles should be the expectation for our program.  We should also expect the players and coaches to not disrespect or embarrass the program off the field.  We haven't had this combination of winning and off the field behavior since perhaps the Hatfield era which took place in a much different football world than we are in now.

I agree....just because some wish to have integrity doesn't mean they dont like to win. I have always looked at it like this...as a high school coach I am held to a certain standard of conduct. We are expected to not only win, but mold young men into responsible, disciplined, and respectful adults. That is our job. Winning is important and if you don't win you get fired, but there is much more to being a coach than wins and losses. Truth be told all of us here have probably been impacted by a coach in our life

thefisher

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 01:02:37 pm
You're comparing the Razorback program to Kansas State???

Not exactly. Hogcard said he was unaware of a coach ever being retained with such a losing conference record as CBB. I just showed a specific coach that was ... and the long term benefits of the decision to retain him. I also pointed out that CBB is from Snyder's immediate coaching tree with a process that has continually produced winning football if allowed to blossom.

Are you in disagreement with any of that?

You are aware that Snyder's K State team beat highly touted Oklahoma last Saturday aren't you?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 01:02:37 pm
You're comparing the Razorback program to Kansas State???

When Snyder was hired at K-State for the first time on November 24, 1988, he inherited a situation that was several times worse than the one he'd found when he arrived in Iowa with Fry. Kansas State had a cumulative record of 299–510 (.370) in 93 years of play, which was easily the most losses of any team in Division I-A at the time. The school had been to only one bowl game (the 1982 Independence Bowl), had not won a conference title since 1934 and had enjoyed four winning seasons in the previous 44 years (including two in the previous 34 years). The program had also not won a game since October 1986, going 0-26-1 in that time.

Prior to Snyder's first season in 1989, Sports Illustrated published an article about Kansas State football entitled "Futility U," which labeled the school "America's most hapless team."[2] Snyder won only one game in his first season, beating the recently renamed North Texas, but it was a significant win because it was K-State's first win in three seasons. The game was especially thrilling, with a touchdown pass coming on the last play of the game. In Snyder's second season, in 1990, the Wildcats improved to 5–6. The five wins posted by the team had been matched only twice in the prior 17 years at the school, in 1973 (5–6) and 1982 (6–5).

We are in a similar situation as K St was.  Snyder had to rebuild beginning with far less talent and depth than much of his competition.  His recruiting base or brand at the time put him at a disadvantage to OU, OSU, Nebraska and Colorado.  Our program bottomed out.  Some of you don't seem to realize how far we have fallen and the fact we have to climb back up against competition all of whom except Mizzou has recruiting advantages and/or their programs are in better shape in terms of talent, depth and stability. 

It won't be an epic rebuild on the level of K St.  But our program is way down.  And with our recruiting base compared to the SEC, it is at a fragile point to where it could take some time to get out of this. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 01:15:21 pm
Kansas State was one of the worst programs in the country when Snyder took over. 

This is not 1989.

KSU beat Oklahoma 25 years after Snyder first took that job.  Whoop.

We were one of the worst power conference programs in the country last season when Bielema took over and face deeper competition while at a competitive disadvantage. 

Kevin

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 01:19:01 pm
No. 

We were not one of the worst power conference programs in the country when Bielema took over.  Even as bad as Long and JLS mis-managed it.

go giants
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 01:17:33 pm
Guess there's a large portion of the fanbase that just doesn't realize what a program-killer Petrino was.  That's who you would blame it on, right?
The guy was so bad Louisville hired him back to cause them more problems.

Multiple reasons as to why but if you want to go down that path we can as Petrino had the most responsibility as to where our program had fallen. 

It is interesting you headed this direction from the sentence you bolded.  I made no mention of Petrino. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 01:27:06 pm
No, you didn't mention Petrino.  However the guy had the program in the Sugar Bowl.  That doesn't sound like a program at epic lows.  Insert here the fact that no one really cares about the fact that it was "Petrino"... but more about the results.

Even JLS won a SEC game despite his best efforts.

You can't ignore where the program was just 2 years prior to Bielema and call the program one of the worst in the country.

First off, We lost the Sugar Bowl if you forgot already.
Secondly, The talent gap is not the problem currently or the games wouldn't be so close. We have actually beat ourselves several times this year. The problem in the in-game management, time management and not using the timeouts right.
Third, it reflects the coach when a team can't finish out a win.
Lastly, i want BB to be sucessful at Arkansas because I love his PR skills as well as his recruiting and player development. However, because his in-game management has been below average is why I gave him a C

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 01:27:06 pm
No, you didn't mention Petrino.  However the guy had the program in the Sugar Bowl.  That doesn't sound like a program at epic lows.  Insert here the fact that no one really cares about the fact that it was "Petrino"... but more about the results.

Even JLS won a SEC game despite his best efforts.

You can't ignore where the program was just 2 years prior to Bielema and call the program one of the worst in the country.

Yes I can.  The players who were most responsible for the Sugar Bowl were no longer in the program in 2013.  Insert here the fact they were not replaced with comparably talented players.

JLS did win a game against a horrible UK team with a few contributing players left from the 2010 and 11 teams. 

I don't ignore what happened in 2010 and 11 just like I don't ignore the recruiting, attrition and actions of some of those coaches didn't put our program into a rapid decline. 

It is almost sad if it wasn't so ignorant and stupid to believe our program was somehow on a path to where the 2010 and 11 teams were going to be the norm at Arkansas and that is a true representation of where our program was.  Those were two great seasons by our standards.  That is it. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 01:47:15 pm
So you say "Yes I can ignore what happened", and then you say you don't. 

Petrino is just your convenient scapegoat.  That has been hired by his old employer who has watched recent history play out before them. 

Might as well ignore the pre-season #5 ranking our "worst program in power conference" had after Petrino left while you're at it.

I did ignore the top 5 ranking.  I was one of the first to point out after the Cotton Bowl and BEFORE the accident the defenders who were no longer going to be in the program and their production compared to what was going to replace them.  The top 5 ranking should have been ignored. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 20, 2014, 04:32:07 pm
I give him a solid "A."  Here's why:

1.  Return of integrity
2.  Accountability for the players
3.  Recruiting is through the roof
4.  APR is great
5.  Players are getting good grades
6.  No off-the-field issues
7.  Developing and stock-piling players.

The wins will come eventually, but there is more to life than winning football games.

I gave him a B but for pretty much same reasons. When we start winning he can get the A.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 01:55:25 pm
Glad to hear you called it first, and all the paid analysts were clueless.  Nice to know we have a seer in our midst.

It was obvious in hindsight.  Now I didn't foresee the disaster coming.  Most "trusted" Petrino including myself.  We had been told that he had the recruiting plan of where he had the size, speed focus for each position where he was making us a longer, bigger and a more athletic team.   That this was the way to build Arkansas especially defensively we were told.  Take players even underecruited (2/3 stars) based on size and speed and develop them.  And we heard about how excited he was to have them and we thought they were being developed the right way by him.  The analysts saw the offensive players returning including KD to go with Petrino's offensive coaching.  They ignored the defense and trusted Petrino to do as he had done and win with offense.  Therefore we got a top 5 ranking.  Then after the accident it was assumed that with the staff in place, they could Coker it to a great season because of the offense.  Still the defense was ignored.  Petrino would have beaten ULM even with Wilson getting hurt which may would have lessened the slide.  The interim staff should have as well.

But the program was not is as good of shape as some of you want to believe had Petrino stayed.  QB depth after Tyler wasn't going to be different than it is.  Tyler wasn't in Mallett's class as qb either.  Petrino had not made Mitchell the obvious replacement for TW and he would have only had last season as the qb anyway.  The defensive situation in 2012 and 13 wasn't going to be much different.  McKay probably would have stayed but the wr recruiting did not match the success we had shown wr's could have at Arkansas or the rep of developing wr's Paul had.  We would have been replacing Hocker this season as well.  What happened in 10 and 11 does not appear to have been sustainable.  Then the lack of leadership from April - Dec 2012 compounded the problem along with a partially lost recruiting year.  So it isn't all on Petrino.  Stop being such a drama queen with this nonsense.  His assistants should share in the responsibility.  And to make you happy, Long has some too.  He hired Bobby knowing his rep and instead of managing him,, he let the * do what he wanted and treat people like darn to the point he couldn't even hire a competent coaching staff and had the affair. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: thefisher on October 21, 2014, 12:56:48 pm
Not exactly the same but pretty darn close was Bill Snyder. Yeah, that Bill Snyder. The one coaching at Kansas State. The one who plays on a home field named, "The Bill Snyder Family Football Stadium".

1-10 his first season including 0-7 on conference. Another losing season his second season including 2-5 in conference. Went 2-5 in conference again his fourth year. In fact it was his FIFTH year before he got his first bowl eligible team!

I haven't heard many willing to wait five years to go bowling with CBB for the first time.

However after that difficult start for Snyder he now sits at a 105 - 69 in conference record playing in a stadium named after himself. 

CBB is from Snyders immediate coaching tree. Folks need to let all that sink in.

That's true, but that still doesn't answer the question of: Is there any coach at anytime that was able to retain his job in year 3 after losing every conference game he coached during his first two seasons at that school? 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 21, 2014, 02:12:29 pm
It was obvious in hindsight.  Now I didn't foresee the disaster coming.  Most "trusted" Petrino including myself.  We had been told that he had the recruiting plan of where he had the size, speed focus for each position where he was making us a longer, bigger and a more athletic team.   That this was the way to build Arkansas especially defensively we were told.  Take players even underecruited (2/3 stars) based on size and speed and develop them.  And we heard about how excited he was to have them and we thought they were being developed the right way by him.  The analysts saw the offensive players returning including KD to go with Petrino's offensive coaching.  They ignored the defense and trusted Petrino to do as he had done and win with offense.  Therefore we got a top 5 ranking.  Then after the accident it was assumed that with the staff in place, they could Coker it to a great season because of the offense.  Still the defense was ignored.  Petrino would have beaten ULM even with Wilson getting hurt which may would have lessened the slide.  The interim staff should have as well.

But the program was not is as good of shape as some of you want to believe had Petrino stayed.  QB depth after Tyler wasn't going to be different than it is.  Tyler wasn't in Mallett's class as qb either.  Petrino had not made Mitchell the obvious replacement for TW and he would have only had last season as the qb anyway.  The defensive situation in 2012 and 13 wasn't going to be much different.  McKay probably would have stayed but the wr recruiting did not match the success we had shown wr's could have at Arkansas or the rep of developing wr's Paul had.  We would have been replacing Hocker this season as well.  What happened in 10 and 11 does not appear to have been sustainable.  Then the lack of leadership from April - Dec 2012 compounded the problem along with a partially lost recruiting year.  So it isn't all on Petrino.  Stop being such a drama queen with this nonsense.  His assistants should share in the responsibility.  And to make you happy, Long has some too.  He hired Bobby knowing his rep and instead of managing him,, he let the * do what he wanted and treat people like darn to the point he couldn't even hire a competent coaching staff and had the affair. 

That's exactly the issue of notions. But where do we go from here?

Peter Porker

October 21, 2014, 02:48:28 pm #181 Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 03:06:49 pm by Peter Porker

There's never been a coach that's had to play a schedule like this.

Plus, having to follow the scorched earth that Petrino left...
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 01:43:14 pm
I'm well aware we lost the Sugar Bowl.  It cost me dearly in the wallet and in interactions w/ OSU fans. 
Does that somehow diminish getting there... especially compared to where we are now?  Bielema couldn't win a Rose Bowl... bet Wisconsin fans were still happy they had a shot. 

I would like Bielema to be successful as well... because he's the coach that we've been dealt.  When Arkansas fans are proud of their program's success, it won't be the coach they're thinking of.

You're excusing a loss.  I guess now "almost beating Alabama" counts as something to be happy about in your book?  Since losses are now things to notch your belt for.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 21, 2014, 02:40:55 pm
All the above hypotheticals and assumptions can be boiled down to one phrase:  No one knows how things would have transpired had Petrino continued as coach, with a new DC coming on staff.

No matter how much our fans want to believe, changing DC's isn't the answer.  Some will be better than others.  But it will not make up for how we recruit on the defensive side compared to our competition. 

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 21, 2014, 02:38:06 pm
That's exactly the issue of notions. But where do we go from here?

Down the chosen path whether it was the right one or not.  If the competition wasn't so deep or if we were in better position from a depth of talent or recruiting base standpoint, change may could be suggested earlier.  We would run a huge risk of making this worse if we were to change anytime soon for a number of reasons.

We allow this staff the opportunity to develop their recruits.  They may fail or not succeed to the point the decision makers want.  We wait for things like the qb competition between AA, Peavey and Storey to go along with the RBs, Olinemen and TE's this program is drawing.  We wait for the young defenders being thrown in to develop and stop changing coordinators and systems on them.  That is how Arkansas can build a capable defense.  We've seen this cycle before.  Many don't want to wait.  They think the success should be immediate for some reason. 

hogcard1964

Quote from: Peter Porker on October 21, 2014, 02:48:28 pm
There's never been a coach that's had to play a schedule like this.

Plus, having to follow the scorched earth that Petrono lwft...

Well yea.   

TheRazorbackGuy

I don't think that will be the case as result of the recruiting class coming in

Ramtough

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 21, 2014, 02:35:31 pm
That's true, but that still doesn't answer the question of: Is there any coach at anytime that was able to retain his job in year 3 after losing every conference game he coached during his first two seasons at that school?
At some point every year you begin to run out of games. We see a win against UAB but no way we beat Ole MISS or MISS STATE so now the LSU and MISSOURI games become must wins for a bowl game. If BB goes winless again in the SEC then he should be fired IMO.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Ramtough on October 21, 2014, 05:53:50 pm
At some point every year you begin to run out of games. We see a win against UAB but no way we beat Ole MISS or MISS STATE so now the LSU and MISSOURI games become must wins for a bowl game. If BB goes winless again in the SEC then he should be fired IMO.

I don't think that will at all be the case. But are you sure we will win an SEC game?

Augustus

Even if UAB is our last Win this season... I don't see it happening this year. Too expensive.

We would have to pay Bret $11.5-12 Million to buy him out, then let's just say another $5 Million (at least) to buyout our next Coach out of his current contract.

I just don't see the PTB spending $16-17 Million to get another Coach on the hill for 2015, which would also mean stalling our program another 2-3 years.

Only being nearly 1/2 full, the 2015 recruiting class looks very, very good. May possibly end up being the best we've had in quite a long time.

I think Bret's here at least until the end of 2015 season. No, if he's 0-24 in the SEC at the end of 2015?  That will be interesting, because we're stalking a $9 Million buyout.

I think all of that is moot, though; because I see us beating UAB, then LSU and Mizzou.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Augustus on October 21, 2014, 08:06:01 pm
Even if UAB is our last Win this season... I don't see it happening this year. Too expensive.

We would have to pay Bret $11.5-12 Million to buy him out, then let's just say another $5 Million (at least) to buyout our next Coach out of his current contract.

I just don't see the PTB spending $16-17 Million to get another Coach on the hill for 2015, which would also mean stalling our program another 2-3 years.

Only being nearly 1/2 full, the 2015 recruiting class looks very, very good. May possibly end up being the best we've had in quite a long time.

I think Bret's here at least until the end of 2015 season. No, if he's 0-24 in the SEC at the end of 2015?  That will be interesting, because we're stalking a $9 Million buyout.

I think all of that is moot, though; because I see us beating UAB, then LSU and Mizzou.

Winning 3 of the next 5 I will take it but see it as highly unlikely.

bphi11ips

I'd break it down a bit:

Rebuilding to his vision  -  A
Recruiting                    -   A
Motivating                    -  A
Discipline (off field)       -  A
Discipline (on field)       -  C
Game plan                    -  C
Game day                     -  C 

Thus far, Bielema's greatest strength seems to be commitment to his vision and his development and implementation of his philosophy.  His greatest weakness appears to be an unwillingness to adjust to changing circumstances, whether they be during a game or otherwise.  Maybe once his vision is fully developed, the C's will become A's because there will be no need to adjust.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TheRazorbackGuy

October 22, 2014, 06:14:15 pm #191 Last Edit: October 22, 2014, 07:41:02 pm by TheRazorbackGuy
Quote from: bphi11ips on October 22, 2014, 02:04:27 pm
I'd break it down a bit:

Rebuilding to his vision  -  A
Recruiting                    -   A
Motivating                    -  A
Discipline (off field)       -  A
Discipline (on field)       -  C
Game plan                    -  C
Game day                     -  C 

Thus far, Bielema's greatest strength seems to be commitment to his vision and his development and implementation of his philosophy.  His greatest weakness appears to be an unwillingness to adjust to changing circumstances, whether they be during a game or otherwise.  Maybe once his vision is fully developed, the C's will become A's because there will be no need to adjust.   

Pretty good breakdown. It comes to the overall mid term grade indeed

Overtheroadtruckdriver

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 22, 2014, 06:14:15 pm
Pretty good breakdown. It comes to the iverall mid term grade indeed

Iverall I'd say you could use a spelling lesson.

gchamblee

Quote from: Augustus on October 21, 2014, 08:06:01 pm

If we fire Bret after only 2 years, we wont have to pay a buyout for our next coach.. in fact the university we are hiring him from will probably pay us to take him. No coach worth darn will want to come coach here if we fire a coach after 2 years with the progress the team is showing since the dumpster fire Bret was hired to fix. If you cite wins/losses on this issue you are too shallow to understand the issue.

Augustus

Quote from: gchamblee on October 22, 2014, 07:41:43 pm
If we fire Bret after only 2 years, we wont have to pay a buyout for our next coach.. in fact the university we are hiring him from will probably pay us to take him. No coach worth darn will want to come coach here if we fire a coach after 2 years with the progress the team is showing since the dumpster fire Bret was hired to fix. If you cite wins/losses on this issue you are too shallow to understand the issue.

I get what your overall point, but that's still not how it would work. 

If we fired Bret after year 2 for poor performance (and in no way do I see us doing that), we would have to buy out his contract... there's no question about that.

But... our next Coach? We wouldn't be going after an Ass't. (Florida's Foley has shown how that turns out w/ Muschamp).  We would be hiring an active Head Coach of another program.

There would be a buyout involved.

And, as long as the SEC (in particular the SEC-W) is the best Conference/Division in CFB? People will want to coach in the SEC.  Even at Arkansas, regardless of what our program has endured the past 3 years. That's what brought Bielema here, and it would bring another here.

IMO, Coaches have just as much, if not more, ego & competitive spirit than Players. And we would/could definitely find a Coach jumping at the chance to Coach Arkansas, again. (Especially at a $3 Million or more salary).

gchamblee

Quote from: Augustus on October 22, 2014, 08:15:36 pm
I get what your overall point, but that's still not how it would work. 

If we fired Bret after year 2 for poor performance (and in no way do I see us doing that), we would have to buy out his contract... there's no question about that.

But... our next Coach? We wouldn't be going after an Ass't. (Florida's Foley has shown how that turns out w/ Muschamp).  We would be hiring an active Head Coach of another program.

There would be a buyout involved.

And, as long as the SEC (in particular the SEC-W) is the best Conference/Division in CFB? People will want to coach in the SEC.  Even at Arkansas, regardless of what our program has endured the past 3 years. That's what brought Bielema here, and it would bring another here.

IMO, Coaches have just as much, if not more, ego & competitive spirit than Players. And we would/could definitely find a Coach jumping at the chance to Coach Arkansas, again. (Especially at a $3 Million or more salary).

I think youre missing my point though. I think nobody worth a crap will be interested in taking a job here if wee prove that we will fire you after 24 months even if you are showing considerable improvement. That is the kind of pressure that causes coaches to recruit thugs, cover up cheating and basically act like Jimbo Fisher.

rude1

Quote from: gchamblee on October 22, 2014, 08:57:37 pm
actually, it doesnt. im trying to point out that firing a cook because the 30 minute cookies arent ready in 15 is stupid.
If the 30 minute cookies are burned to a crisp in 15 minutes, do we patiently wait the other 15 minutes to see if they recover?

Augustus

Quote from: gchamblee on October 22, 2014, 08:59:45 pm
I think youre missing my point though. I think nobody worth a crap will be interested in taking a job here if wee prove that we will fire you after 24 months even if you are showing considerable improvement. That is the kind of pressure that causes coaches to recruit thugs, cover up cheating and basically act like Jimbo Fisher.

Ok, I gotcha now. I agree. Firing a coach after 24 months would send a bad signal Nationally.  But I don't think we fire Bret in year 2. Or year 3, even. Year 4? If not significant improvement in the W column.

Just look at Florida right now... We all can bet money that the next Florida Coach - whoever it will be -  is watching how Florida's AD is handling the situation with Muschamp in mid-season.

And, Foley is doing the right thing... support Muschamp, until it's time to not support him anymore.

bphi11ips

Quote from: rude1 on October 22, 2014, 09:05:27 pm
If the 30 minute cookies are burned to a crisp in 15 minutes, do we patiently wait the other 15 minutes to see if they recover?

Maybe your cookies aren't burned at all.  Maybe they're just flat because you lacked the patience to let the dough rise. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LZH

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 23, 2014, 05:36:18 am
Maybe your cookies aren't burned at all.  Maybe they're just flat because you lacked the patience to let the dough rise. 

Or....maybe he had no idea what he was doing in the first place.

BB is a good coach, but he just hasn't translated that into wins.....yet, anyway.