Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would you Wednesday a little early...

Started by HF#1, October 20, 2014, 03:18:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HF#1

Would you trade Chaney for Garrick McGhee?
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Razorfox

Quote from: HF#1 on October 20, 2014, 03:18:44 pm

Considering 90% of the people on this board said that Petrino was actually the OC and that McGhee just assisted, I'd have to say, stick with Chaney. 

I still don't see anything truly with his playcalling anyway.  Sure, it's easy to second guess plays here and there, but overall, I don't think it's been that bad.  Need a few more players, better depth, and more time in the system and we'll be good. 

PorkRinds

onebadrubi

Mcghee is the glue that holds player and petrino relationships together.  He works in that atmosphere, I don't think he would work here replacing Chaney. 

MissippHog

If a large portion of those "bad" or "stupid" plays were executed correctly we wouldn't have threads like this.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 20, 2014, 03:37:00 pm
If he can coach Brandon Allen to actually spot Hatcher when he's wide open down the field, then yes. 

Oh good lord, how many times are we going to hear this?

Vandyhog4

As a QB coach and recruiter, absolutely.  As the OC, probably not. 

Wants2Win

Quote from: MissippHog on October 20, 2014, 03:41:15 pm
If a large portion of those "bad" or "stupid" plays were executed correctly we wouldn't have threads like this.
Isn't that a pretty big part of coaching?...making sure the players can execute....

HF#1

Quote from: MissippHog on October 20, 2014, 03:41:15 pm

It's simply a hypothetical.  I'm not suggesting anything.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

FightnHog20

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 20, 2014, 03:53:13 pm
Don't know.  They're now posting this exact sentiment in 1080P high-definition at halftime with talking-head experts pointing out examples (see our most recent game).

So not only are message-board dwellers wondering about it... people paid to analyze football are pointing it out as well.

If you don't believe it then rewind your VHS and see for yourself.

To help you find it, the operative phrase used on the broadcast was "That's WIDE OPEN in the SEC".

Get yourself some earplugs to go with your blinders.

I guess nobody has been watching NFL games or any other college football game? Andrew Luck missed multiple wide open receivers in his game too. He actually missed a wide open TD, causing the Colts to have to settle for a field goal. It happens, all QB's miss receivers, especially when the offensive line isn't holding up. Drew Brees also threw a late interception and cost his team the game. There isn't a perfect QB out there on any team, so I'm not sure why so many posters expect us to have one playing for the Razorbacks. Go look at Tim Tebow's stats from college. The QB play goes hand in hand with the weapons around the position. We do not have depth around Brandon Allen right now. They have potential, including the incoming recruits, but they aren't there yet. Mallet and Wilson had 7-8 players get drafted from the skill positions around them. We have about 1-3 right now. Alex Collins has fumbled in the last 2 games, leading to 14 points. This includes Alabama's game winning drive from out 25 yard line after he coughed it up. If you are going to start blaming players, blame everybody, because it is not all on Branden Allen's shoulders. The whole team stunk it up in the 1st half against Georgia.

Hogs-n-Roses

SpaCityHawg

The_Iceman

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 20, 2014, 03:53:13 pm
Don't know.  They're now posting this exact sentiment in 1080P high-definition at halftime with talking-head experts pointing out examples (see our most recent game).

So not only are message-board dwellers wondering about it... people paid to analyze football are pointing it out as well.

If you don't believe it then rewind your VHS and see for yourself.

To help you find it, the operative phrase used on the broadcast was "That's WIDE OPEN in the SEC".

Get yourself some earplugs to go with your blinders.

Yeah, Brandon Allen missed a WR that was 30 yards downfield that had just gotten about a step past 2 defenders. To a QB standing 30 yards behind that, with an elite Georgia front 7 applying pressure, it was probably hard to see that guy open.

To call the WR "WIDE" open is a stretch, even by those analysts standards.

nchogg

Quote from: FightnHog20 on October 20, 2014, 04:04:15 pm
I guess nobody has been watching NFL games or any other college football game? Andrew Luck missed multiple wide open receivers in his game too. He actually missed a wide open TD, causing the Colts to have to settle for a field goal. It happens, all QB's miss receivers, especially when the offensive line isn't holding up. Drew Brees also threw a late interception and cost his team the game. There isn't a perfect QB out there on any team, so I'm not sure why so many posters expect us to have one playing for the Razorbacks. Go look at Tim Tebow's stats from college. The QB play goes hand in hand with the weapons around the position. We do not have depth around Brandon Allen right now. They have potential, including the incoming recruits, but they aren't there yet. Mallet and Wilson had 7-8 players get drafted from the skill positions around them. We have about 1-3 right now. Alex Collins has fumbled in the last 2 games, leading to 14 points. This includes Alabama's game winning drive from out 25 yard line after he coughed it up. If you are going to start blaming players, blame everybody, because it is not all on Branden Allen's shoulders. The whole team stunk it up in the 1st half against Georgia.

AAA+

Lake City Hog

Do we judge all coaches by that same standard? "If his players executed just a little better maybe his play calling wouldn't be so bad?" So no bad coaching just bad players, Houston Nutt is smiling!!!

But, no I wouldn't make that trade. I would trade him for Joe Ferguson so fast it would make his head spin!!!

mlloyd4

No, I don't think Chaney is the problem. He's not perfect, he needs to improve (who doesn't), but the play calling on the offense isn't the single most important factor in the losses for this season.
WPS

chuggs33

Nope.  No way.

And B. Allen has been better than last year.  Is he the greatest?  Obviously not, but I don't think he is as bad as a lot of posters think.  He is just an easy target because he is the QB. 

The Pulse

I'm not a fan of Chaney and want him replaced as mush as the next guy, but not McGhee. He didn't call the plays here and was absolutely abysmal at UAB.

We need to get a successful and proven OC from a smaller school that is putting up numbers on O.  We need someone that will continue what we have in the running game, but also bring in a sophisticated passing game. Someone that can develop QB's and coach up WRs

B501

does McGhee have a TE reverse in his playbook?  ;)

Sed76

WarPig88

No. Petrino ran that offense not McGhee.

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG

PORKULATOR

I sale both Chaney and McGhee to get Brian Johnson from Utah.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

I said before we hired Chaney that that was who I wanted and some said,  'why would he leave Uyah'...  turns out,  to coach Miss St...
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

redeye

I've always been skeptical of McGhee being the great coach many around he seem think he is.  He may be one, but just like with Chaney, I wouldn't know.  The biggest plus for McGhee is that he helped recruiting in Oklahoma.

redeye

Quote from: FightnHog20 on October 20, 2014, 04:04:15 pm
I guess nobody has been watching NFL games or any other college football game? Andrew Luck missed multiple wide open receivers in his game too.

When Andrew Luck was a sophomore, all the ESPN experts thought he was behind Jake Locker.  I thought Luck was the only QB better then Mallett and that Locker was vastly overrated.  I'm not being critical of Allen when I say there's a world of difference between him and Luck.