Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Only player I see getting open in our offense are

Started by sechog, October 20, 2014, 01:20:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

elksnort

Hoggish,

I believe I agree and like many of your posts, but please lets avoid this

Next year we will have wide receivers all over the field and will be unstoppable.

lumphog

elksnort

ballz2thewall

i'll say this again.

its not THAT hard for a WR to get open at least some of the time, and when expected.  its just not that complicated considering a full game timeline. some coverages are better than others but the notion that our receivers can't get open is over-used.  we can, and have.

my take after rewatching some games is that it is mainly reads first, and protection second.  however, after carefully looking at it, the lack of reading predominates in my opinion.  absent the cave-ins, the reads are not timely.

i've looked and i don't think BA knows what he's seeing prior to the snap. 

but the worst problem is that he's afraid to throw a pick, and i think this accounts for a lot of the gaffs and misses.  if you watch closely you can see it.  he will not throw until separation is in place, but not before, and this is too late. he's got to be able to see it happening, and its there.

even freshmen have speed and know the basics of hitching, juking, and simply staying away from the coverage.  it isn't that scientific, particularly in man coverage.  but of course when we're covered man-to-man, chances are the protection for allen is breaking down.

he's got to rid the ball quicker. 

this is why we get so few yards after most catches.  he throws too late, allowing the cover man to close.
The rest of the frog.

elksnort

The notion, whether true or not, that our offensive line can't block well enough to run screens seems troubling to me. Screens seemingly would help out the iffy passing attack.

onebadrubi

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 01:59:13 pm
There was no double move on the first pass and it was thrown BEFORE the receiver broke open.

What I am saying is that we wouldn't have thrown that pass simply because the receiver was not already open.

Saw it all day long. As long as we are waiting for space to appear in order to pass the ball, we will have a hard time in this league and believe that our receivers suck.

I happened to watch the replay last night.  The first pass of the game on Toliver was a double move and that is what beat toliver. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 20, 2014, 01:25:51 pm
Hatcher runs down the field uncovered constantly....I mean uncovered.

PRJ

Maybe he should wear a uniform! In most places you have to be covered to not get arrested!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

immahog

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on October 20, 2014, 01:22:09 pm
Hatcher has been wide open for TD's/First downs on many plays that Allen never came off of his first read on.

in the bama game on third dwn BA went deep on a bannana route to wilson who was covered he never looked off wilson b/c he had hatcher WIDE open on the under cross route wide open an hatcher would have walked in the end zone ....
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

hogsanity

Quote from: immahog on October 21, 2014, 12:45:04 pm
in the bama game on third dwn BA went deep on a bannana route to wilson who was covered he never looked off wilson b/c he had hatcher WIDE open on the under cross route wide open an hatcher would have walked in the end zone ....

But here is the thing about that. If he is going to throw the vertical route ( and dear heavens how many times have people here complained about no vertical passing game ) he has to throw it BEFORE KH has time to come open on the cross. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 20, 2014, 01:33:37 pm

Just wondering how many of you have ever played QB before in your life. Its hard to see WR's down field when a 260lb DE is rushing you a second after the ball is snapped. The O-line needs to protect better so Allen has the time to get to his 2nd read.

Above is correct.  Allen does miss some open receivers, & does not always go thru his other WR options before throwing.  Part of that problem is....he would have been sacked more often than he already was on Saturday.  The defense was coming thru our line almost immediately, he didn't have enough time to always go thru his reads. Coach BB said after the game we need to be able to protect our QB better.  We seem to run block better than we pass protect. 
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 20, 2014, 04:27:46 pm

even freshmen have speed and know the basics of hitching, juking, and simply staying away from the coverage.  it isn't that scientific, particularly in man coverage.  but of course when we're covered man-to-man, chances are the protection for allen is breaking down.

Zone routes are precise and based on timing.  Watch our receivers as they are usually unable to get off the line and into their pass routes or simply starting the route and then begin free lancing trying to get open.

So far we have been able to not take the bait into midfield interceptions from the cover of the safety and corners.  By the time we are open in the middle, we seem to be one or two seconds out of the route.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

WarPig88

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 21, 2014, 12:07:18 pm
I happened to watch the replay last night.  The first pass of the game on Toliver was a double move and that is what beat toliver.

You continually miss the point. Double move or not, the pass was in the air BEFORE the receiver broke open. WE DO NOT DO THIS IN OUR PASSING GAME.

Passing is all about anticipation of receivers coming open, not waiting for them create space and THEN trying to squeeze a pass in before the defense recovers.

code red

"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

ballz2thewall

Quote from: hogsanity on October 21, 2014, 12:49:37 pm
But here is the thing about that. If he is going to throw the vertical route ( and dear heavens how many times have people here complained about no vertical passing game ) he has to throw it BEFORE KH has time to come open on the cross.

good point. it's a called play with a made man.
The rest of the frog.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 21, 2014, 02:14:22 pm
You continually miss the point. Double move or not, the pass was in the air BEFORE the receiver broke open. WE DO NOT DO THIS IN OUR PASSING GAME.

Passing is all about anticipation of receivers coming open, not waiting for them create space and THEN trying to squeeze a pass in before the defense recovers.

That is why we are having problems passing.  We have too many receivers not running crisp routes and not being in the position to catch the ball on the play or they are somewhere other than where the play calls for them to be.

A "read" is the quarterback being able to see that his receivers are where they are supposed to be and where the defender is or if there is a breakdown in the secondary.   We have not seen very much of either to evaluate Allen's read skills.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

WarPig88

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on October 21, 2014, 02:35:03 pm
That is why we are having problems passing.  We have too many receivers not running crisp routes and not being in the position to catch the ball on the play or they are somewhere other than where the play calls for them to be.

A "read" is the quarterback being able to see that his receivers are where they are supposed to be and where the defender is or if there is a breakdown in the secondary.   We have not seen very much of either to evaluate Allen's read skills.

I understand where you are coming from, but I watched the passing game closely at the game Saturday and he literally only threw a guy open a couple of times.

I have a hard time believing that in around 40 attempts, that NONE of our receivers were able to run an accurate pattern or get off the line more than just a couple of times. I mean we are talking about nearly 140 different routes and we only executed twice?

I am telling you, there is very little attempt to anticipate receivers coming open going on out there.

I just don't know if it is BA, or if he is being taught that way.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 21, 2014, 02:53:07 pm
I understand where you are coming from, but I watched the passing game closely at the game Saturday and he literally only threw a guy open a couple of times.

I have a hard time believing that in around 40 attempts, that NONE of our receivers were able to run an accurate pattern or get off the line more than just a couple of times. I mean we are talking about nearly 140 different routes and we only executed twice?

I am telling you, there is very little attempt to anticipate receivers coming open going on out there.

I just don't know if it is BA, or if he is being taught that way.

I think I did not explain myself clearly enough.  That route has to be run correctly repeatedly or the QB has to study to see where his receiver is.  He has to know that when he releases the ball, the receiver will be there, just as the receiver has to know that when he gets to Point  A the ball will be there.  It is that second or so of doubt that has decimated the passing game. 

It is just not on the receivers. 

WarPig88

Quote from: TOM "tbw1" on October 21, 2014, 03:00:02 pm
I think I did not explain myself clearly enough.  That route has to be run correctly repeatedly or the QB has to study to see where his receiver is.  He has to know that when he releases the ball, the receiver will be there, just as the receiver has to know that when he gets to Point  A the ball will be there.  It is that second or so of doubt that has decimated the passing game. 

It is just not on the receivers.

Gotcha.

HSVhogfan2

Oline has a lot of trouble pass blocking. Any routes that take a bit to develop are not going to be real successful. Route combos are not real sophisticated. BA gets happy feet when he feels pressure. Screen passes would help tremendously but it has already been discussed that AR Oline can't block downfield. As with most bad situations, there is blame all around.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

elksnort

Couple all this with the apparent fact that we can execute a screen. 

Is anyone else bothered that we don't or can't executed a screen?

Ben Steiger

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2014, 01:33:07 pmWhen was the last time the Hogs had a wr just flat out beat his man deep?

That's easy; Keon Hatcher had his man beat by five yards on a go route in the first half at Auburn, but unfortunately, he dropped the perfectly thrown pass by Brandon Allen.
Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Wildhog

Quote from: Ben Steiger on October 21, 2014, 06:47:01 pm
That's easy; Keon Hatcher had his man beat by five yards on a go route in the first half at Auburn, but unfortunately, he dropped the perfectly thrown pass by Brandon Allen.

Happened at least a couple of times in the UGA game, too.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977