Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All I gotta say is...

Started by PorkSoda, October 20, 2014, 12:58:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

trippigs

No doubt. Folks who have been around a while know that TAM nearly always screws the pooch. I was never too concerned about them being on the cusp of making perpetual noise in the SEC.

Professor Pig

it's hard to be competitive on a consistent basis when you play 80% offense and 20% defense. These guys are practicing against a 'soft' defense everyday at practice, which does no one any good.

Baylor, TTech, WVU A&M, etc...will all continue to struggle so long as the game plan is to score 65 and hold the opponent to less.

For these reasons, I remain cautiously optimistic that our current staff will field a true competitor over the next couple of seasons.

DeltaBoy

TAMU doesn't have a 0-16 SEC winning streak even after coming over from the WEAK Little 12.

Jeff Long FAILS us when it comes to getting, and maintaining a winning FOOTBALL TEAM!
He gets a pay raise and we get our losing streak.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hellwonthaveme

Didn't A&M beat us? Did I dream that?

PRJ

demonHOG1013

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 20, 2014, 01:07:11 pm
TAMU doesn't have a 0-16 SEC winning streak even after coming over from the WEAK Little 12.

Jeff Long FAILS us when it comes to getting, and maintaining a winning FOOTBALL TEAM!

0-16 winning streak?

ricepig

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 20, 2014, 01:12:10 pm

PRJ

Yes they did, and no you didn't.

PorkRinds

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on October 20, 2014, 01:13:52 pm
0-16 winning streak?

Forgive him.  I think he's had a stroke or two. 

WarPig88

Quote from: Professor Pig on October 20, 2014, 01:04:40 pm
it's hard to be competitive on a consistent basis when you play 80% offense and 20% defense. These guys are practicing against a 'soft' defense everyday at practice, which does no one any good.

Baylor, TTech, WVU A&M, etc...will all continue to struggle so long as the game plan is to score 65 and hold the opponent to less.

For these reasons, I remain cautiously optimistic that our current staff will field a true competitor over the next couple of seasons.

You coach to the resources you have available.

The schools you mention play offense well because they are smart enough to realize that there are not enough true defensive studs available after the traditional powers get done skimming them off the top to DEPEND on their defense to win games for them.

How many great defenses has Arkansas had since the 70's?

What kind of approach did we use during our most successful stretch since the 70's?

Professor Pig

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 01:18:43 pm
You coach to the resources you have available.

The schools you mention play offense well because they are smart enough to realize that there are not enough true defensive studs available after the traditional powers get done skimming them off the top to DEPEND on their defense to win games for them.

How many great defenses has Arkansas had since the 70's?

What kind of approach did we use during our most successful stretch since the 70's?

A&M can get whoever they want, they tend to, however, focus solely on offense. As for the question of AR being successful under CBP: you just proved my point, we would never have played for a NC with those defenses -- neither will any of the teams I listed previously. Sure, they'll be competitive and win 8, 9 or 10 games, but the lack of defense will always preclude them from a championship run. Go look at who wins NCs and how they do it: balance.

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

GolfnHog

And we've not had a JM that could be a difference maker either. aTm is about to get into the same conference snafu that the Hogs are going thru based on the trend they are setting for themselves. That Thanksgiving game,that was given to them,  looks like they will again be blown out on a national setting.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

WarPig88

Quote from: Professor Pig on October 20, 2014, 01:23:29 pm
A&M can get whoever they want, they tend to, however, focus solely on offense. As for the question of AR being successful under CBP: you just proved my point, we would never have played for a NC with those defenses -- neither will any of the teams I listed previously. Sure, they'll be competitive and win 8, 9 or 10 games, but the lack of defense will always preclude them from a championship run. Go look at who wins NCs and how they do it: balance.

We came very close to playing for a NC while Petrino was here. Closer than we have in 40 years of playing the way you claim works best. We were in the top 3 all the way up to our last regular season game at LSU. Can't think of another time that has been the case in my lifetime.

You missed the point entirely. You coach to your resources.

If you think that coaching to a style that relies on its' defense wins big here, then you just haven't paid attention for the last 3 decades is all I can say.

WarPig88

Quote from: GolfnHog on October 20, 2014, 01:27:12 pm
And we've not had a JM that could be a difference maker either. aTm is about to get into the same conference snafu that the Hogs are going thru based on the trend they are setting for themselves. That Thanksgiving game,that was given to them,  looks like they will again be blown out on a national setting.

So they are going to be .500 against LSU? Because that's what we were while being more offense oriented.

PorkRinds

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 01:29:22 pm
We came very close to playing for a NC while Petrino was here. Closer than we have in 40 years of playing the way you claim works best. We were in the top 3 all the way up to our last regular season game at LSU. Can't think of another time that has been the case in my lifetime.

If you think that coaching to a style that relies on its' defense wins big here, then you just haven't paid attention for the last 3 decades is all I can say.

And we came closer to beating Alabama this year than we ever did under Petrino. 

WarPig88

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 01:32:11 pm

We beat Bama regularly under Ford.

I would rather be a program that puts a premium on the TOTAL number of wins instead of making one team its' Super Bowl.

Professor Pig

Exactly, close but no cigar. We got blown out in that game, because of LSU's commitment to balance. Alabama, per the usual during said coaches tenure, also blew us out that year.

and I don't disagree that you coach to your resources, but that's different from blatantly avoiding defense, which each of the teams I mentioned (including CBP's) typically do.

code red

I agree with this.  Fact of the matter is if our game would have been in College Station....we would have gotten beaten much worse.  We need to worry about us cause quite frankly I think they go bowling and we don't.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

snortman

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 01:32:11 pm

Arkansas will soon start to be on everyone's list to be there Homecoming game under BB

MikePiazza

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 01:33:33 pm

I would rather be a program that puts a premium on the TOTAL number of wins instead of making one team its' Super Bowl.

I wouldn't call winning twice by a point on the road beating Alabama regularly. Plus, they were coached by a Gene Stallings on his way out and Mike DuBose.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

woopigsooie13

WPS!

PorkSoda

Quote from: woopigsooie13 on October 20, 2014, 03:15:43 pm
Yeah we're worse we lost to them >:(
ummm 59-0 against bama?  we weren't even that bad last year.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Razor1997

I'd gladly trade our one point loss to Bama for Aggy's 59-point loss, if Aggy's two conference wins get thrown in as part of the deal.

PorkSoda

October 20, 2014, 03:23:47 pm #23 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:34:26 pm by PorkSoda
Quote from: Razor1997 on October 20, 2014, 03:22:06 pm
I'd gladly trade our one point loss to Bama for Aggy's 59-point loss, if Aggy's two conference wins get thrown in as part of the deal.
you wanna trade mascots too?

we will get our two conference wins.

HoggieStyle

PorkSoda

they are clearly the better team because they got lucky in overtime.  /sarcasm

never mind that they played bama a week after we nearly beat bama and got handled.

59-0 is a complete collapse.

sure we lost to georgia, but our team didn't collapse, they fought back and made it respectable.

SemperHawg

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 20, 2014, 04:46:01 pm
they are clearly the better team because they got lucky in overtime.  /sarcasm

never mind that they played bama a week after we nearly beat bama and got handled.

59-0 is a complete collapse.

sure we lost to georgia, but our team didn't collapse, they fought back and made it respectable.

TAMU, as bad as they might be, they are still more than likely headed to a bowl game, and we are certainly in doubt of that outcome.   So yeah right now I would rather be pointed towards a sure bowl game like they are, instead of the not, like we are.

PorkSoda

ya'll take this too seriously.

it was part joke at TAMU's expense and partly just losing my mind. 

hogcard1964

DoctorSusscrofa

Oh, yeah right. We were right there and couldn't finish. Sound familiar. It should. Close isn't there, but some will pretend.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 20, 2014, 12:58:57 pm
at least we aren't TAMU

LMAO. So you actually think, right now, AR is in better shape than TAMU? Isn't TAMU short for Texas A&M? That would be the only way this post is not insanely stupid if I had the intials wrong and TAMU really stood for like, Alcorn State or something.
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

Dirty

Give it a rest!  Coach B is not going anywhere.

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: Dirty on October 20, 2014, 07:56:45 pm
Give it a rest!  Coach B is not going anywhere.

Please show me one of my posts where I have said I think he should be fired. Firing him at this point would be almost as stupid as thinking  that he is the greatest coach in America and next year is gonna be "the year".
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

WarPig88

(notOM)Rebel123

Problem was, we lost to Bama & LSU by a combined 79-31. So, in reality, no we weren't very close at all.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 20, 2014, 12:58:57 pm
at least we aren't TAMU

Turns out they're really a Big XII team after all.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

The Pulse

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 01:30:24 pm
So they are going to be .500 against LSU? Because that's what we were while being more offense oriented.

.500 is better than HDN or CBB. So yeah, this offense thing sound pretty good.

Corkscrew Johnson

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 20, 2014, 01:12:10 pm

PRJ

Brother you gotta learn how to think beyond this week's game.  Our team has progressed immensely over the past 12 months.  A&M has regressed steadily since its magical 2012.   Do you buy your stock based on how they performed last year? 

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 20, 2014, 09:28:30 pm
Problem was, we lost to Bama & LSU by a combined 79-31. So, in reality, no we weren't very close at all.

LOL. And after the Cotton Bowl where AR D shut down the big slow white kid from Kstate so many were touting for the heisman, even the folks on here now stating how Petrino was never going to have a defense, were wetting themselves because of the defensive performance. AR was the third best team in the country that year.

Veni Sancte Spiritus

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on October 20, 2014, 09:53:54 pm
Brother you gotta learn how to think beyond this week's game.  Our team has progressed immensely over the past 12 months.  A&M has regressed steadily since its magical 2012.   Do you buy your stock based on how they performed last year? 

How about head to head?

PRJ

PorkerOinker

A&M is Houston 2.0, Sumlin will struggle nightly before his days at A&M are over. Sumlin is a coach who despises defense more than Bobby Petrino and it is starting to catch up with him.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Lake City Hog

This thread is like the dumb kid that tells his mom, "I got the highest F in the class"!
Is that really where we are? Have we sunk to the point of basing our standing upon the failures of another team?

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 20, 2014, 07:18:12 pm
ya'll take this too seriously.

it was part joke at TAMU's expense and partly just losing my mind.
There's never a bad time to take a shot at the aggies.

Harleigh Hog

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 20, 2014, 10:37:05 pm

He's got a point...

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: The Pulse on October 20, 2014, 09:41:24 pm
.500 is better than HDN or CBB. So yeah, this offense thing sound pretty good.
We were a Tejada kick and/or a terrible call (Ridley never got out of bounds) away from being 3-1 against LSU.We were well on our way to beating every team except Bama most years. And I think Bobby would have eventually snuck one in on Saban too - should have in 2010, but Knile Davis had yet to emerge at hat point in the season.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 20, 2014, 10:37:05 pm

It pains me that this very fact had to be explained.

The state of the Arkansas fanbase is wanting.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

PonderinHog

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on October 20, 2014, 11:28:05 pm
It pains me that this very fact had to be explained.

The state of the Arkansas fanbase is wanting.
59-0  Gig 'em!  See, that was fun!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on October 20, 2014, 10:02:29 pm
LOL. And after the Cotton Bowl where AR D shut down the big slow white kid from Kstate so many were touting for the heisman, even the folks on here now stating how Petrino was never going to have a defense, were wetting themselves because of the defensive performance. AR was the third best team in the country that year.
Finished 5th in AP & 5th in Coach's poll & 6th in final BCS poll (final BCS poll was released in early December)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Hoggish1

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 01:33:33 pm

No that's funny.  Did you mean to be...?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 21, 2014, 07:06:05 am
Finished 5th in AP & 5th in Coach's poll & 6th in final BCS poll (final BCS poll was released in early December)

Somewhere between 3rd and 6th sounds right.
This is my non-signature signature.