Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dime to Washington

Started by Oklahawg, October 20, 2014, 12:30:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2014/oct/20/dime-washington/

Many thought Iowa State was the leader, so this is a surprise.

On to the next option.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hawg Red

We might've had a better chance if there wasn't so much uncertainty around Portis' future. Some believe he will be back for his junior season. Dime only has two years of eligibility to work with.

booogaga

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 20, 2014, 12:33:26 pm
We might've had a better chance if there wasn't so much uncertainty around Portis' future. Some believe he will be back for his junior season. Dime only has two years of eligibility to work with.
Heaven forbid a kid come in and compete and earn playing time. I imagine Portis is gone this year if it is a lottery pick possibility.
GO HOGS!

Hawg Red

Quote from: booogaga on October 20, 2014, 12:36:10 pm
Heaven forbid a kid come in and compete and earn playing time. I imagine Portis is gone this year if it is a lottery pick possibility.

I get what you're saying, but we still have Kingsley and Thompson already on campus to go with Portis. There's only so many minutes. It's easy to talk about competing for playing time when it isn't your college career. (That last line is not meant to be rude or anything like that, just an observation of mine and something I try to keep in mind when I consider recruits and their decisions.)

Scott7703

Good luck to mr dime at Washington.

To all of you basketball recruiting guys, what other big men do we have a legitimate chance at?

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 20, 2014, 12:47:47 pm
Good luck to mr dime at Washington.

To all of you basketball recruiting guys, what other big men do we have a legitimate chance at?

Legend Robertin 7'0 220lbs
John Carlos Reyes 6"10 210lbs
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

longtimeHogfan

Mrs Longtime and I got to meet him at the Catfish Hole during his official visit.   Did all we could to show him love.   Bummer for MA.
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

RazorPiggie

Still in need of a recruiter on this staff.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 20, 2014, 12:33:26 pm

The other problem is we already have two Centers that basically play the same position as him (Moses and Trey).

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 20, 2014, 01:36:56 pm
The other problem is we already have two Centers that basically play the same position as him (Moses and Trey).

Moses can be far more than just a 'center' before his eligibility is done. You should give more thought to how MA uses his players (past, present, and future).
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

outlawhogeywells

Are we still in on Melvin Frazier? 
6'7" swingman out of Louisiana

Oklahawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 20, 2014, 01:19:25 pm
Still in need of a recruiter on this staff.

The composition of the hoops staff still seems less than optimum. Maybe Lee Mayberry (that was fun to type and say to myself) can help.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hawg Red

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on October 20, 2014, 03:54:57 pm

Haven't heard or read anything in a while, but I sure hope so.

TomBigBeeHog

Oh well, hurts a wee bit but I am already over it. Kinda like that Atwood guy. Stung for about an hour. Was over it by dinner. Ready to move on to the next target. Good luck to the guy. Washington must be a better fit for him.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

The_Iceman

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on October 20, 2014, 03:54:57 pm

He would be a solid forward on our team next to either Moses or Trey.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

3kgthog

MA obviously runs some weird subbing patterns. The kid would've seen lots of playing time. Oh well.

Scott7703

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 20, 2014, 12:57:42 pm

Which of those do you prefer? Thanks for the info.

-Blu

Quote from: Scott7703 on October 20, 2014, 07:18:00 pm
Which of those do you prefer? Thanks for the info.

Not trying to speak for Bionic, I'm sure he'll give his opinion as well.  But, I think it's very premature to speculate anything on those 2 guys.  Legend reportedly has an offer, but no telling at the moment if it's a "commitable offer" or if there is really any mutual interest, really hasn't been much info out about his recruitment with us.  And with JCR, we just recently started recruiting him, think staff has went to see him play a couple times last month, no word on if an offer is expected to come or not.

My guess would be we're done for the Fall unless something happens with Kevaughn Allen, which I wouldn't really hold my breath on.  We'll see what happens with Portis, I'm sure if his stock continues to rise and the staff feels he may leave we'll start seeing some names pop up in the Spring. 

Music City Razorback

Tenpenny first, now Dime.  Please don't tell me next we lose Double-Nickel.

Seriously, I hate the loss, but understand that he thinks he'll fit in better in WA.
"Sure. I'm proud to be an American."
-Cincinnati Reds rookie pitcher Steve Foster, asked by a Canadian customs agent if he had anything to declare.

1highhog

I honestly believe that Portis will stay through his Junior year before trying the NBA.  JMO but one I'm confident in, we'll just have to wait and see.

mhuff

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 20, 2014, 03:57:12 pm
The composition of the hoops staff still seems less than optimum. Maybe Lee Mayberry (that was fun to type and say to myself) can help.

mhuff

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 20, 2014, 12:57:42 pm

Bionic, I must have missed the boat on these two players. Have they been talked about before? We no longer have search feature. Thanks

Hawg Red

Per Brad Winton, Legend Robertin has just committed to Clemson.

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 20, 2014, 02:24:13 pm
Moses can be far more than just a 'center' before his eligibility is done. You should give more thought to how MA uses his players (past, present, and future).

Are you suggesting that Moses could improve offensively enough to be a PF ,or are you saying that he could evolve into a special center.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: mhuff on October 21, 2014, 01:40:05 pm
Are you suggesting that Moses could improve offensively enough to be a PF ,or are you saying that he could evolve into a special center.

His offensive game can/will allow him to do more than simply play within 5 to 10 feet of the basket. We normally run a 4 out-1 in motion with Portis being the 'in' player. With Portis and Harris on our roster, and even Williams to a lesser degree, there won't be many opportunities this season for Moses to play a more versatile role.

Had we landed Dime and should Portis decide to leave early, Moses could/would have been our starting '4' with Dime/Thompson sharing the interior responsibilities. Moses has only been playing basketball regularly for less than a decade. He's still evolving and will only get better (hopefully).
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

mhuff

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 21, 2014, 02:04:26 pm
His offensive game can/will allow him to do more than simply play within 5 to 10 feet of the basket. We normally run a 4 out-1 in motion with Portis being the 'in' player. With Portis and Harris on our roster, and even Williams to a lesser degree, there won't be many opportunities this season for Moses to play a more versatile role.

Had we landed Dime and should Portis decide to leave early, Moses could/would have been our starting '4' with Dime/Thompson sharing the interior responsibilities. Moses has only been playing basketball regularly for less than a decade. He's still evolving and will only get better (hopefully).

I agree with your latter paragraph. I have been following his progress for several years ,and I see a player who has improved every year. I want a whole roster full of that kind of player. He obviously wants to reach his fullest potential, but that is what any real athlete wants. I have also been projecting positions after Portis leaves.... whenever. Hopefully, Portis elects to stay for his jr. year. We should have a worthy replacement by then. I could see Thompson and Kingsley playing together as need requires.

TomBigBeeHog

If it turns out that Moses does develop into a more versatile offensive player and Trey can develop into a serviceable defender, rebounder and scorer around the basket by next season, then we should be ok at the forward spot. Williams and Miles will be seniors next year and will provide good depth at the position as well. At this point though, I would love to see us sign a skilled big man to replace Bobby. Even if he doesn't leave, his eventual replacement needs to be here next fall.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

DoggtownHog

University of Washington is basically in Seattle. And that is a cool town to be in.
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.

ChicoHog

Quote from: DoggtownHog on October 21, 2014, 03:20:17 pm
University of Washington is basically in Seattle. And that is a cool town to be in.
If you like rain. 

WooPig90

Razorpigg

DoggtownHog

And Salumi (go to this place if you are ever in Seattle).
How stupid a man is depends on where he's standing.