Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something I believe our offense is underutilizing

Started by bigred223, October 20, 2014, 11:03:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred223

There have been times this year when our offense has looked great. However, we get bogged down when we go to shotgun because we seem to pass about 90% of the time out of the shotgun. In the second half against Georgia we ran a few sweeps out of the gun that worked very well. I think our offense would be able to take a giant step forward if we could spread people out from time to time and use the run game out of the shotgun. I still think our base offense should be under center, but it's a big problem when the defense knows a pass is coming just by the formation. Georgia also had great success running Chubb from the shotgun. Maybe our linemen aren't suited to that style of run game, but I think we could do it. Any thoughts?

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Well, you are correct in that we don't confuse anybody with what we are going to do. Shotgun=pass. We have only run a few draws out of shotgun to my memory, and those didn't gain much.

It was nice to FINALLY see the speed sweep with a wide receiver. Too bad it started at game 7 when we were down TOO BIG to come back.

To me, over the course of the season, the LEAD DRAW play has been our most effective play of them all.

010HogFan

Things we haven't done enough to be happy with:

-Run out of the shotgun
-Getting the ball to playmakers/slot receiver in space
-Screen pass
-Fly sweeps
-Slants and Posts (way too many flat/out routes)

I really liked our offense the first couple games of the year when we were playing teams that we had the ability to out-talent. The play calls were superb. Maybe it's because we're facing exponentially tougher competition, but it seems like we totally abandoned some of the creative aspects of the offense we saw early in the season.

Kevin

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 20, 2014, 11:15:45 am

-Run out of the shotgun
-Screen pass
-Fly sweeps

totally agree.  we do nothing in space.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

upperdeck_hawg

watched the game on dvr and georgia sent their cb on three consecutive plays. they have no fear of a screen because we haven't one in our play selection
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

010HogFan

What gets me is that we haven't even attempted one...I could understand if we tried to run screens and "well, we just don't run them well", but NO, we don't even try them?

Our linemen are too big and unathletic to run screens? Ok, then run a WR tunnel screen...run a bubble screen. There are screens that do not rely on the O-line to do anything but go "Ole!" and let the defense advance towards the QB...it is mind boggling to watch us face the teeth of a blitzing front-seven every week and do nothing offensively to counter it.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 20, 2014, 11:15:45 am

-Run out of the shotgun
-Screen pass
-Fly sweeps

I really liked our offense the first couple games of the year when we were playing teams that we had the ability to out-talent. The play calls were superb. Maybe it's because we're facing exponentially tougher competition, but it seems like we totally abandoned some of the creative aspects of the offense we saw early in the season.

Do these issues reflect a WR problem?  If you can't get open, if you can't get off the block, then you're in trouble on a slant route. 

Tell you what, Jared Cornelius needs the ball more.  He can play.

bigred223

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on October 20, 2014, 11:26:13 am
Do these issues reflect a WR problem?  If you can't get open, if you can't get off the block, then you're in trouble on a slant route. 

Agree on Cornelius, and I think the same goes for Kendrick Edwards. On the other hand, we had a LOT of receivers wide open against Georgia that BA just didn't see because he was too locked in on avoiding the pass rush.

010HogFan

Definitely. We need WRs who can change a game the same way our RBs can...teams are changing their entire defenses to account for Amari Cooper...our WRs haven't earned that amount of respect. Cornelius can ball, he will be fun to watch over the next couple years.

upperdeck_hawg

No, it does not. Watch the replay of our game and Andre Ware diagrams no less then three replays where Keon Hatcher is running open and BA does not see him. He instead locks onto a shorter route.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

Danny J

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 20, 2014, 11:20:47 am
watched the game on dvr and georgia sent their cb on three consecutive plays. they have no fear of a screen because we haven't one in our play selection
Yep...still having nightmares about that. The receiver on two different occasions was pointing out the blitz is coming from his man and we didn't even try to change the play or take advantage of it.

PorkRinds

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 20, 2014, 11:25:12 am
What gets me is that we haven't even attempted one...I could understand if we tried to run screens and "well, we just don't run them well", but NO, we don't even try them?

Our linemen are too big and unathletic to run screens? Ok, then run a WR tunnel screen...run a bubble screen. There are screens that do not rely on the O-line to do anything but go "Ole!" and let the defense advance towards the QB...it is mind boggling to watch us face the teeth of a blitzing front-seven every week and do nothing offensively to counter it.

I'm sure they've never tried one in practice EVER!!! You try things in practice, and if they don't work you don't try them in the game. 

The_Iceman

I really think this offense would be best utilized in the Pistol Formation. In fact, I think a full time pistol set is one of the best in football, especially if you are a play action running team.

010HogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 11:33:51 am
I'm sure they've never tried one in practice EVER!!! You try things in practice, and if they don't work you don't try them in the game. 

This does nothing to address the root of the problem...

If we have tried a screen in practice and it didn't work...do we not have the presence of mind to correct what's wrong?
A screen should be a cornerstone of an offense like ours. If it's not working, then by God figure out what's wrong and run the play again. If we start having issues with the HB dive in practice are we just gonna abandon it too?

PorkRinds

Quote from: 010HogFan on October 20, 2014, 11:41:30 am
This does nothing to address the root of the problem...

If we have tried a screen in practice and it didn't work...do we not have the presence of mind to correct what's wrong?
A screen should be a cornerstone of an offense like ours. If it's not working, then by God figure out what's wrong and run the play again. If we start having issues with the HB dive in practice are we just gonna abandon it too?

Not enough facepalms for this.  You have no idea what or how many times they practiced in in the closed practices.  You think maybe they've spent time on it, and it hasn't worked?  Maybe they've attempted to correct it, and have come down to the conclusion that the linemen can't pull it off well enough to make it work?  Nah, that can't be it.  They must have just abandoned the thought of running a screen because Chaney and Pittman don't like screens. 

010HogFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 11:50:46 am
Not enough facepalms for this.  You have no idea what or how many times they practiced in in the closed practices.  You think maybe they've spent time on it, and it hasn't worked?  Maybe they've attempted to correct it, and have come down to the conclusion that the linemen can't pull it off well enough to make it work?  Nah, that can't be it.  They must have just abandoned the thought of running a screen because Chaney and Pittman don't like screens. 

Let's take a look at the players we put on the field. The eye test says we should be able to run a screen of some kind when we need to. That's all I'm saying.

The fact remains that we do nothing, I repeat nothing, to put the defense on their heels in the slightest bit.

GBHawg

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 20, 2014, 11:40:27 am
I really think this offense would be best utilized in the Pistol Formation. In fact, I think a full time pistol set is one of the best in football, especially if you are a play action running team.

I completely agree.  BA really struggles dropping back to pass from under center.  I'm not sure if the problem is his inability to see the field ( whether locking in or dropping his eyes when presented with the slightest rush), lack of pass protection due to missed assignments or poor technique, routes that develop too slowly, or all of the above.  The pistol would definitely allow him a little more time in the pocket and still be able to at least present a run threat.

Kevin

Quote from: bigred223 on October 20, 2014, 11:28:25 am
Agree on Cornelius, and I think the same goes for Kendrick Edwards. On the other hand, we had a LOT of receivers wide open against Georgia that BA just didn't see because he was too locked in on avoiding the pass rush.

I think Edwards & Cornelius are potential studs. Need to play more
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Lake City Hog

It seems to me that on MANY plays, both runs and passes that a couple of our big slow linemen are downfield blocking. If they can pull they should be able to block for a screen.

It's not like they have to run 30 yards downfield, they have to fool their guy a bit and let him by then basically just get in the way of the 2nd level defenders and give the back an option for his cut.

Also, to me the slant pass is more of a timing issue than a separation issue. The receiver will automatically be between the QB and the DB when he makes his cut. TIMING is the key, 2 maybe 3 step drop and throw the ball just in front of the receiver. Practice, practice, practice.

PorkSoda

the plays we are under utilizing are the run plays. 

45 passes by BA?  in what world is that an acceptable game plan?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

wupigsuey

I was thinking today we need to get VERY creative with the run game. We don't seem to be able to just line up and run over sec teams. Need to think outside the stacked box. 
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

bigred223

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 20, 2014, 06:36:46 pm
the plays we are under utilizing are the run plays. 

45 passes by BA?  in what world is that an acceptable game plan?

I think that is mostly because we were down by 32 at the half.

Danny J

Quote from: bigred223 on October 20, 2014, 07:04:11 pm
I think that is mostly because we were down by 32 at the half.
Correct however it is because we went to the pass on our second drive that put us WAY behind the chains when all we needed to do was keep doing what we did to them on the first drive.....pound the rock. For the life of me I have never understood why coaches go away from something that is working.