Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

With the recent issues at RB

Started by ShadowTheHedgehog, October 20, 2014, 12:12:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ShadowTheHedgehog

Do you think we take one more than previously planned?

RAZORHOGG15

I have always thought they were looking for 2 in this class.  Just to much of a chance that we lose both our top guys after next season
ONE TEAM ONE HEART ONE GOAL

Never make the mistake of confusing kindness for weakness

redeye

I think the plan was to take another one all along, but I don't think any recent "issues" have anything to do with it.

online-with-swine

If Marshall doesn't pan out and JWill goes in the draft, we will be hurting for RBs.  Collins will have to carry the load along with Walker and which ever freshmen come on board.  I'm always leary of rbs who redshirt as it typically is a position that one can/should contribute right away.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: online-with-swine on October 20, 2014, 07:55:10 am
If Marshall doesn't pan out and JWill goes in the draft, we will be hurting for RBs.  Collins will have to carry the load along with Walker and which ever freshmen come on board.  I'm always leary of rbs who redshirt as it typically is a position that one can/should contribute right away.

Forgetting about Day and Evans.

JaketheSnake

I don't see JWill leaving after this year.  He is a pretty good RB, but he is not high draft pick material at this point and I don't believe he comes from extreme poverty like many that leave early do.

PorkRinds

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 20, 2014, 08:29:25 am
I don't see JWill leaving after this year.  He is a pretty good RB, but he is not high draft pick material at this point and I don't believe he comes from extreme poverty like many that leave early do.

Yeah, he does.  The day he came to live in Fayetteville his mom and siblings lived in a hotel after getting kicked out of their house.  She may be more settled in now, but JWill came from poverty.  Don't kid yourself.  He was likely the poorest kid on the Allen,TX football team.

Big Nasty 34

The only bad thing is teams aren't drafting RBs high anymore, so who knows what he would do.

Tim Harris

Most of the "recruiting experts" were predicting 2 RBs in this class anyways.  Personally I wasn't a fan of that with all our other needs but now that we have the Marshall issues we may have to.  I'm not worried about Collins but will say we only have him for 1 more year.

Tim Harris

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 20, 2014, 08:29:25 am

To me the question would be does another year move him up in draft position or not.  I'm just making up round projections but if you are a 2-3 round pick this year then would coming back for your Sr year and having the same type of season move you up any higher or is your ceiling still a 2-3 round pick.  If that is as high as you will go then why not go to the draft and start getting paid.  RBs careers are already short enough and one play can end it. 

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 20, 2014, 09:01:27 am
Most of the "recruiting experts" were predicting 2 RBs in this class anyways.  Personally I wasn't a fan of that with all our other needs but now that we have the Marshall issues we may have to.  I'm not worried about Collins but will say we only have him for 1 more year.

I was actually thinking that we may take 3 this year (if we can land an off the radar Stud RB as the 3rd). I did not like the way CBB talked about one of our RBs and said that he either understands what is expected and begins to do what is expected or he will not be here anymore. That combined with the Marshall suspension is worrisome. I am really happy Rawleigh William is playing so well.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 20, 2014, 09:20:41 am
I was actually thinking that we may take 3 this year (if we can land an off the radar Stud RB as the 3rd). I did not like the way CBB talked about one of our RBs and said that he either understands what is expected and begins to do what is expected or he will not be here anymore. That combined with the Marshall suspension is worrisome. I am really happy Rawleigh William is playing so well.

Was that directed at Collins or Marshall? Or do we even know?

trashcan maN

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 20, 2014, 09:22:21 am
Marshall. Said if he doesn't clean up his off field issues, it could end up being one of the saddest stories of his coaching career.

Not going to speculate but it sounds like he did something pretty serious. Hope he doesn't go the AJ Turner route.

Tim Harris

I'm not exactly sure what the other poster is talking about.  Possibly internet rumor or getting comments about different players confused.

For Marshall he said he is out 3-4 weeks for things he chose to do off the field.  They had a spirited conversation earlier in the week, took him out of the program that day and then met with him again on Friday.  Has one final chance to get things right.

For Collins he said last week he didn't have the right mind set so wasn't surprised with his performance.  This week he did expect more.  Said that he is in a rut and they have to figure out a way to get him out of it or move on to the next guy in line.  No where in the press conference did he say anything about Collins not being here anymore.

ShadowTheHedgehog

I think the comment was directed at Collins. I really hope they can work this out. Collins is a really good guy and I think the problems may be due to frustrations with the results on the field. The team has been working their tails off for two years not and they keep falling short, that has to be exhausting mentally. But these are good kids with good moral values so I think CBB will be able to sort it out. Still, a plan B is always a good idea and having hungry good RBs pushing for playing time early will only make the upper classmen RB better.

And a bit off topic: Is Kody not starting to look solid? Good ball security and he is looking good running and catching. Still too few carries to really tell but some of the signs are there.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 20, 2014, 09:31:08 am
I'm not exactly sure what the other poster is talking about.  Possibly internet rumor or getting comments about different players confused.

Post game presser.

Tim Harris

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 20, 2014, 09:35:06 am
Post game presser.

Go back and watch it again.  No where in there does he say Collins won't be here anymore.  He says they have to get him out of his rut or move on to the next guy in line.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 20, 2014, 09:35:48 am
Go back and watch it again.  No where in there does he say Collins won't be here anymore.  He says they have to get him out of his rut or move on to the next guy in line.

I just did. Man did I mixed that up. It was about KM that he said he gets one more chance or else he is out. About AC he said that if he does not produce he will move to the next guy. Thanks Tim. My bad on that one. Wheeew I feel a lot better now. Delete this thread if you like. It was started by a stupid mistake on my part.

GalaHawg

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 20, 2014, 09:01:27 am

The bold comment is probably accurate. The structured college environment does not seem like a good fit for AC - he is a laid back kid who wants to do things his own way - like leaving Miami despite his mom's pressure and coming to Arkansas. So, he probably will leave as soon as he can to gain some freedom. He reminds me of Ricky Williams in certain ways --- and I'm not talking about his smoking habits - just a little eclectic.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 20, 2014, 09:42:02 am
I just did. Man did I mixed that up. It was about KM that he said he gets one more chance or else he is out. About AC he said that if he does not produce he will move to the next guy. Thanks Tim. My bad on that one. Wheeew I feel a lot better now. Delete this thread if you like. It was started by a stupid mistake on my part.

While you might have heard correct, the thread title is still appropiate.  If KM can't clean up his off field issues and AC does not get his head in the game we still have issues at the RB spot.  I have to think AC is enjoying college a good bit, not in a bad way, just enjoying life at the moment outside of FB due to his FB success.  Bielema needs AC to get right and AC needs to get it right for his future. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 08:37:34 am
Yeah, he does.  The day he came to live in Fayetteville his mom and siblings lived in a hotel after getting kicked out of their house.  She may be more settled in now, but JWill came from poverty.  Don't kid yourself.  He was likely the poorest kid on the Allen,TX football team.
You may be correct, it just seemed like he wasn't in as bad of shape when he came in. 
I agree with the draft stock, but I don't see him getting drafted in the first half and could be a free agent.  Just my opinion...

Hawg Red

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 20, 2014, 09:04:34 am
To me the question would be does another year move him up in draft position or not.  I'm just making up round projections but if you are a 2-3 round pick this year then would coming back for your Sr year and having the same type of season move you up any higher or is your ceiling still a 2-3 round pick.  If that is as high as you will go then why not go to the draft and start getting paid.  RBs careers are already short enough and one play can end it.

Good post. And we have seen the last 2-3 drafts that NFL teams are simply not drafting RBs in the 1st round anymore. Bishop Sankey was the first RB off the board at #54 this year and Gio Bernard was the first RB taken in 2013 at #37. So I think if a RB gets a 2-4 round grade, they should probably go because that's likely as good as it gets right now.

In 2012, 3 RBs went in the 1st round: Trent Richardson at #3, Doug Martin at #31 and David Wilson at #32. None of them really helping the case for RBs being worth 1st round picks.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 20, 2014, 10:25:40 am
Good post. And we have seen the last 2-3 drafts that NFL teams are simply not drafting RBs in the 1st round anymore. Bishop Sankey was the first RB off the board at #54 this year and Gio Bernard was the first RB taken in 2013 at #37. So I think if a RB gets a 2-4 round grade, they should probably go because that's likely as good as it gets right now.

In 2012, 3 RBs went in the 1st round: Trent Richardson at #3, Doug Martin at #31 and David Wilson at #32. None of them really helping the case for RBs being worth 1st round picks.

If I was even just a decent college RB I'd probably declare after my junior year. Ceiling is low for RBs in the draft right now and injury risk is high. If you want a big NFL payday you'll have to earn it on the second contract as an RB so you may as well get started as soon as possible.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Pork Twain

Quote from: online-with-swine on October 20, 2014, 07:55:10 am
So much wrong here
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

logand02

Would be happy to see both come to the Hill to complement Williams III. We have other needs but our identity is a running team and I have faith that we will develop current and incoming defenders.

http://247sports.com/Player/Charles-West-22111

http://247sports.com/Player/Karan-Higdon-30628

cbhawg03

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 08:37:34 am

This. I believe it was a Yahoo article that told JWill story.

RB not being taken in the 1st round, so if you are 2-3 round, you might as well go. Fourth round or later, probably come back for another year.

Beaverfever

Quote from: cbhawg03 on October 21, 2014, 11:47:29 am
so if you are 2-3 round,
Is Williams really this type of prospect?  Running backs are out of favor these days.  A 2-3 round rb is a stud. 

MS_HogFan

Im not sure what he has to gain by coming back. Even if he is a 4th or 5th round guy. At this point he is what he is.
SOOIE

onebadrubi

Quote from: MS_HogFan on October 22, 2014, 09:13:58 am
Im not sure what he has to gain by coming back. Even if he is a 4th or 5th round guy. At this point he is what he is.

Williams has been all about the Hogs since he committed.  He very well could come back just to be apart of what Bielema is building and to win!  I assume him and Bielema will sit down and figure this out.  Another great aspect of Bielema is he's been through this process with many NFL guys.  I'm sure he could give good advice to Jonathan. 

MS_HogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 22, 2014, 09:18:33 am
Williams has been all about the Hogs since he committed.  He very well could come back just to be apart of what Bielema is building and to win!  I assume him and Bielema will sit down and figure this out.  Another great aspect of Bielema is he's been through this process with many NFL guys.  I'm sure he could give good advice to Jonathan. 

I HOPE he comes back. He is REALLY good.
SOOIE