Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do we have a dedicated special teams coach?

Started by LRHawg, October 19, 2014, 10:19:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LRHawg

Or is that picked up by CBB and lesser assistants? I think that is the area we need to improve the most.

31to6

Quote from: LRHawg on October 19, 2014, 10:19:05 pm
Or is that picked up by CBB and lesser assistants? I think that is the area we need to improve the most.
Segrest.

As a note, earlier in the season ST looked like a strength. Many in fact commented to that effect.

Not sure why the plane has crashed into the mountain.

PonderinHog

HF#1

Quote from: 31to6 on October 19, 2014, 10:19:54 pm
Segrest.

As a note, earlier in the season ST looked like a strength. Many in fact commented to that effect.

Not sure why the plane has crashed into the mountain.

Cause we can't kick an extra point or a FG...  Punt return leaves something to be desired but we don't have anyone explosive/elusive enough to return punts effectively.  KJ Hill will change that.  Kickoff return and coverage is ok.  Marshall is good back there if he can keep his nose clean.  Would like to see more touchbacks but it is what it is.  Irwin-Hill has his moments but is probably average as a whole.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

AugustaHog

We are pretty terrible in every aspect of special teams (without Marshall returning KOs).  Irwin Hill has put us in a ton of bad spots this year and failed to flip the field position.  Last year he was great at booming one when needed and was even able to pin them deep.  Our KOs are just ok and PKing duties have been egregiously botched.  This STs looks vastly worse than 2 years ago when JLS was screwing things up.  Segrest needs to get after some things or he's going to be gone.

JaketheSnake

I don't see it that way.  Yes, we had two blocked PATs, but other than that and not fielding punts our special teams has been consistent.  But it's just like the Penalties... Te last game was bad and that becomes all our knee jerk fans can remember.
Quote from: AugustaHog on October 20, 2014, 07:51:27 am
We are pretty terrible in every aspect of special teams (without Marshall returning KOs).  Irwin Hill has put us in a ton of bad spots this year and failed to flip the field position.  Last year he was great at booming one when needed and was even able to pin them deep.  Our KOs are just ok and PKing duties have been egregiously botched.  This STs looks vastly worse than 2 years ago when JLS was screwing things up.  Segrest needs to get after some things or he's going to be gone.

PorkRinds

Quote from: AugustaHog on October 20, 2014, 07:51:27 am

Lol.  Everyone is so "fire the coach" happy these days.  Segrest isn't going to be fired.  His Dline is actually performing quite well.  ST are a big area that needs to improve, but it's hard to know if it's coaching, or what the problem is.  One thing is certain.  SIH has taken a step back for some reason.  His punting has gone to the birds.  I suspect the PR issues have to do with the fact that they have no one they really trust to catch the punt in heavy traffic.  There are lots of problems that "just fire the coach" aren't likely to fix.

Tim Harris

We don't have a dedicated special teams coach.  The different units are spread across different assistants.

LRHawg

I think we need to spend more time in practice on special teams. It's really showing in games how unprepared we are.