Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has shocked you the most so far?

Started by HF#1, October 19, 2014, 09:03:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

Quote from: LSUFan on October 19, 2014, 10:08:21 pm
I don't have the youtube links. His dumbassness has been the topic of discussion by more than just me, and if you don't know that, you must sleep all the time.

Why is the defense of this man more important than the good of the program?

HE      IS      IN      OVER     HIS     HEAD.

Leslie is too, but at least Leslie surrounds himself with great assistant coaches.

Quite possibly the most ignorant post on HV since the hiring of CBB.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: TeufelHog on October 19, 2014, 10:30:42 pm
At times, our ignorant and impatient fan base.

At times? Around HV the concensus is that we should have already won the 2015 national championship.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Smokehouse

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 19, 2014, 10:49:36 pm
You can't be serious.  I mean that quite literally.

Oh how soon we forget...

QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

H-TownHawg

When does the person that got us into this mess get to stop making the decision ? (Long)
No coach survives 2 seasons of 0 for conference...Bielema has got to go

list of replacement- Chad Morris, Tuberville, the Raiders coach that was fired, Kirby Smart, maybe Rich Rod, or Holgersen, Josh McDaniels, best coach in 1-AA, anyone that knows how to win games and is sick and tired of the excuses, Rex Ryan would be interesting

Oklahawg

I was sucked in - badly - by the hype. The A&M game could have easily been a blowout. The Bama game could have been a win. The emotional condition of the team following those two mythical wins might have been enough to fight off UGA's staggering set of gut punches in the first half.

No team under Smiley or CBB's first year would have fought back in the second half. That is progress if you care to see it.

UA cannot control any other team but itself. Weather and injuries plague every team. Over time, the impact is equalized (every team has good or bad happen equitably if you sample enough data).

My greatest shock is the continually shifting bar defining excellence. Way too many fans move their standard of competence (let alone excellence) to conveniently be beyond the current state of affairs. It is as if they don't want UA to achieve success according to their standard.

The argument shifts like sands in the desert. We absolutely destroy Texas Tech, a Power 5 conference with some pre-season chatter who is hosting UA. I don't remember UA taking someone's soul that way very often, even during Bobby's heyday. The only examples are 2-3 different USC-E games, the one team that Bobby seemed to want to hammer and one that Nutt managed to hammer when DMac went for 300+ yards. That's all that I remember since...the SEC era began.

Some, however, complained we didn't pass enough.

The Alabama loss produces a lot of anti-special teams commentary, but none of the most nazi-like commentary remembers that Bama missed a chipshot FG either. Mr Recruiting Day Champions, Nick Saban, is four deep at every position but doesn't have a good place kicker. Didn't have a solution vs Auburn last year either, did he? That is lost.

UA absolutely shut down an elite offense vs Bama. Never has a UA defense shut down a volatile, elite opponent since the Holtz era. Not that I recall (help me, please!). That was dismissed by many...but it also quietly became the new standard, as witnessed by the meltdown around here following the UGA game.

BAllen had the best day passing vs a Bama defense since Saban took over. That was lost. Instead we got:
BA is worthless.
Chaney is a chump.
The offense is one-dimensional.
The offense is dysfunctional.

The HV moving targets had Bama's defense as "weaker tha the past". Tell that to A&M's vaunted offense, completely shutdown by the Bama defense.

At the rate we are moving the target around here we will have to have the Ole Miss program shut down in lieu of coming to RRS to play next month before some will find satisfaction in our progress.

We have too many who think they are qualified to critique the offense because they saw Bobby or Gus diagram a play in a coach's show. Once. They see an open receiver and maintain that coaching is the reason they aren't targeted with a pass. (Hint: happens every game, even to Bobby, even to Gus).

Similarly, we have special teams geniuses around here who are so freaking brilliant they don't even need to look at a monster 50-yard punt with hang time a full second beyond average, complete with six defenders waiting on the ball to drop across the field from the set-up location of the returner. They know, despite the evidence to the contrary: simply watching the video shows our PR waiting on one hash only to have the ball booted WELL to the other hash with such hangtime and location that the PR would have to fight through defenders to get to the ball. Not every time, necessarily, but I saw that at the Bama game live. Not a lot of Joe Adams returns happened that way.

The special teams geniuses cannot connect substandard kicking skill with less than optimum coverage. Zach Hocker disguised a lot of coverage issues with great kicks. We don't have Hocker. Speed alone cannot compensate for low, line-drive (and short!) kicks. No gashing returns yet, in my book, but there is a risk. The bar is moving, so pay attention - those championing the coverage during the NIU game (Sprinkle's big hit comes to mind) are now expecting that, even as the kicking prowess is fading (pressure on the shoulders of those incapable of handling it does that, y'know), on every return.

I could go on and on.

And, after all the typing, it doesn't surprise me one lick - I expect the irrational chattering class to find outrage in whatever the Hogs do. That they continue to log on to post their garbage is what surprises me. They are smart enough to see the structural changes in the program that signal things are turning around. Yet, they still come around. One day they will be caught red-handed, and still be around HV when the clear signal we have returned is sent/received. I look forward to helping them eat crow.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 19, 2014, 10:55:37 pm
Oh how soon we forget...

Thanks! A perfect example of how bad things can be...and how compromising it can be when BAD is tossed into the middle of GOOD. Might as well let all the "oops" happen now, get them out of our system.

FATHAWG08

That 4 of the 5 top rank teams in the SEC West are in the top 5. There are a lot of Top25 teams in country that would be where Arkansas is this year if they played their schedule.
I love off season Football!!

FATHAWG08

Quote from: H-TownHawg on October 19, 2014, 11:00:55 pm
When does the person that got us into this mess get to stop making the decision ? (Long)

list of replacement- Chad Morris, Tuberville, the Raiders coach that was fired, Kirby Smart, maybe Rich Rod, or Holgersen, Josh McDaniels, best coach in 1-AA, anyone that knows how to win games and is sick and tired of the excuses, Rex Ryan would be interesting
yeah they would be beaten the door down to take this job. Stability is what this program needs. CBB was handed a bad hand &  I would imagine he has second guess his decision as well. What coach wants to come to Arkansas in the division they play in. Most of you people would be wanting them fired by the end of their first year anyway.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: H-TownHawg on October 19, 2014, 11:00:55 pm

and to answer your first question Long didn't get us in this situation BP  did this shi!!!

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 19, 2014, 10:49:36 pm
You can't be serious.  I mean that quite literally.
reminds me of the Tejeda days!

1highhog

How far we've come in just a years time.  Most on this Board are either just just dumb when it comes to football or just are trolling when they fly off the handle thinking we "should beat" a top 10 team, just because we had a chance to beat the Aggies and Bama.  The Aggies are not a good team and did not deserve to be ranked in the first place, but they're a deeper talent wise team than we are right now, Bama, we could have beat them, the Hogs were really looking forward to playing them more than any team on the schedule, but just didn't have a kicker to get the job done, besides, Bama this year is not the Bama we've seen in years past.  We will beat UAB, LSU, and Mizzou.  And we will lose to Ole Miss and Miss State.  Not bad for this year, better than I actually had them finishing.

Oklahawg

I am absolutely amazed that some monosyllabic goober hasn't polluted this thread.

My faith in HV may return, slowly.

Very slowly, but one favorable thread at a time.

Good OP, and some really insightful posts. Not patting myself on the back, I am inspired by what others are posting.

BatesvilleHOG

Quote from: LSUFan on October 19, 2014, 10:01:01 pm
There is no rebuild, they won two conference games the year BEFORE he came on board, and NONE since then. THAT AIN'T A REBUILD. If I'm wrong, please show me.
must you always need reminded that Arkansas had no real coach the 2012 season? We had the horses to compete for a national title, but no one to lead us there. Players can only do so much.

hogman64

that the kicker from Texas  hasn't been our number 1 kicker considering how hyped he was and how inept our kicker has been.

that our punter has regressed tremendously.

that A J Derby is as good as he is.

that we don't have anyone who can consistently catch a punt.

that Korliss Marshall has  been a complete non factor in our running game.

that except for a few quarters our defense has improved as much as it has.

that for three years now no one has been able to beat out our two safeties for a starting position.

redeye

I'm mostly just disappointed, but here are the things that have shocked me the most:

1.  How much better our defense is playing: especially the secondary.

2.  How well our OL is coming together.  We saw signs of it last year, but even though I still think they have a ways to go, I've enjoyed watching them push teams around for half a game.

3.  That we nearly beat Alabama.  It's not that I didn't think it was possible to win, but we've lost some doozies to Bama and some of our fans didn't seem to think it was even possible to keep the game close, but we did.

4.  Recruiting has really picked up this year.  Although the same can be said about every SEC team, recruiting is also picking up for Arkansas.  But the thing I like most about Bielema's recruiting efforts is that even the no-name recruits appear to be solid contributors.

5.  Selection of assistants!  We have some very good assistant coaches, but Bielema only seems interested in having great ones.  His off-season selections of Jennings and Smith have already proven to be excellent choices.  It wouldn't surprise me to see more upgrades after this season is over.

6.  And finally, unrealistic fan expectations.  We're playing a top-10 team for nearly every conference game and we're crying because we've yet to win one?  Many of the teams coached by Hatfield, Holtz, or even Broyles, probably wouldn't have won a game yet, either, with this conference schedule.  It's understandable that we're disappointed, but things will change for the better.

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: HF#1 on October 19, 2014, 09:03:48 pm
My question, even to the angry little trolls, is what has surprised you to this point?  What exactly did you expect after a year and half?   

To answer your question almost nothing that has happened in the last 22 months is all that much of a surprise and maybe everyone was hoping to be pleasantly surprised a little by now.

The facts say it eventually must work.  But what the head can think and the heart can believe are two different things.  He certainly believes it.  I think he has most of the team believing with him. 

What he needs to do before this year is out is give everybody else in the Razorback Nation a reason to keep believing.

Wild Boarnado

What has shocked me the most this year?

Our overall improvement this year from last - How quickly a strong foundation has been laid
The improvement in the defense has been truly stunning
The love we've gotten from the media
The strength of our recruiting
The strength of the SECw this year

I believe in CBB. We need to be patient and give him the time to build and time for the program to grow. I believe we are on the right track. I think the improvement we see in this year's team is evidence of that. If we were in any other conference or even in the East Division, we would have some conference wins by now, but we're not. We are in the most powerful division of the most powerful conference which makes our road vastly more difficult, but will make for us a future powerhouse feared by all, if we stay the course.

~*~

To answer the comparison between CBB and JLS
Yes, JLS did win two conference games in 2012
-Auburn (3-9) - who didn't win a conference game that year
-Kentucky (2-10) - who didn't win a conference game that year
We don't have a 3-9 Auburn or 2-10 Kentucky conference game in this year's schedule.

"Cry 'SOOIE!,' and let slip the Hogs of War!" ~William ShakeSqueal

When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer

TNRazorbacker

Nothing real shocking so far. We are exactly where most said we would be at this point in the season. Many thought we would lose to TX Tech who we throttled handily. I've been surprised at how competitive we've been in all our games which is what i really wanted to see this season- to feel like we had a shot in every game which wasn't the case last year. Who would have thought we' d been within a point of beating Akabama? Nobody predicted that before the season.

hogcard1964

Our tendencies to get away from or abandon the running game so often and the lack of focus from the coaching staff to our special teams play.  The silly unsportsmanlike penalties are also a direct reflection of the coaching staff.

Sir Oinksalot

...how competitive the SEC West has become !!

Any other "days gone by" we would have a win or two more looking at at least a couple more wins
and a Bowl game while in a rebuilding year, not now boy, EVERY WEEK is a top 10 team...

Remember, we have had the toughest schedule or close to it for the last 5 years or longer, so,
what that means is that E V E R Y little "chink" in our armor, i.e. coach getting fired during Spring
practice, sub par recruiting for 2-3 years etc. is going to get MAGNIFIED 10X...because of comp.

People, ONE sub par recruiting classes will kill you in the SEC !!  Think about all that has happened
to Arkansas....this isn't rocket science, it's about the ultimate in competition vs. shooting yourself
in both feet vs. two whole years of the non existent recruiting of guys who should now be our leaders...

Now, some want to fire our Head Coach which would be another huge set back to our program...

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

RazorPiggie

Quote from: LSUFan on October 19, 2014, 09:53:45 pm
Even Stevie Wonder can see, that with the talent on this team (See Big Ass O-Line, Collins, BA improvements, etc) A, 1, uno, singular, ONE damn conference game should have been won by now. PERIOD!!!

Smiley won two!

Where does the blame lay? You guessed it, boys and girls, with the mouth breather making millions and selling snake oil.

It's the Peter Principal at its best.

Ok yes he did win two conference games but it was Kentucky that went 2-10 and Auburn that went 3-9 and both were 0-8 in conference play. We aren't getting that luxury.

HatfieldHog

What shocks me the most is our lack of QB play. 

If BA is the best we have, then we don't have an SEC caliber QB on campus!

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

Horthawg

Quote from: HatfieldHog on October 20, 2014, 07:49:19 am

See ya

That would be one of mine as well. Also: the disappearance of the o-line in conference play, special teams let-downs, and finally that people still support Chaney in spite of overwhelming evidence that he has not, nor will ever be, and SEC caliber offensive coordinator.
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

Fatty McGee

Quote from: jlhogfan on October 19, 2014, 09:16:07 pm
I expected us to beat A&M and beat a GA team that lost to SC and is minus their best player. I expect us to go to a bowl game in year 2.  Is that wrong?

Not wrong, just unrealistic.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Fatty McGee

Nothing has shocked me.  We were a not very good team last year, and we're young and improving.  Improving isn't always reflected in the W-L column.  There's a reason other SEC coaches said what they did last year about how good we'd be and that it would take time for Bielema to get his system in place and get the talent here.  One year isn't going to appreciably change that.

The only thing that mildly surprises me is that our fans still consistently overrate  us and then want to jump from the heights when their misguided predictions don't come true.  A mild surprise, though, because that's fans for you.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

hogsanity

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 20, 2014, 12:16:39 am
  We had the horses to compete for a national title, but no one to lead us there. Players can only do so much.

Do you really truly believe that 2012 team had the horses, as you say, to compete for a NC?  On offense, outside of gragg and hamilton, they had no receiving threats.  Davis was still running timid, and Wilson was getting his brain scrambled every game because the Ol could not keep anyone off him for over 1 second. The defense could not tackle, and the db's could not keep the ball from going over their heads.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

chuggs33

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 19, 2014, 10:29:13 pm
What I would like in the years 1 and 2, while a new coach brings players in for his system, is year 1 and 2 is wining at least 1 game in SEC, the third year is be competitive in the west.  That's not asking much.
And unless I am mistaken, we still have four more SEC games.  Year 2 is not over yet.

DeltaBoy

Our all world O-line vs Texas Tech looks weak against the SEC.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: HatfieldHog on October 20, 2014, 07:49:19 am

See ya

Well, if you look at SEC QB numbers then half the teams in the sec don't have a sec caliber qb.  BA ranks 7th in attempts, 7th in completions, only has 4 int's, and is 6th in td passes.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

GoHogs1091

Special Teams errors-   Tough to win games with Special Teams errors occurring.

Lack of physicality on the DL-  I expected more physicality on the DL considering that Coach Segrest has coached in the NFL.  I also expected more DL physicality than what occurred last season with Charlie Partridge's DL (which I felt wasn't as physical as Steve Caldwell's Hogs DLs).

Fumbles by the RBs-  One of the aspects that was supposed to be good regarding RB Coach Joel Thomas' prior RB coaching experience was good ball security by his RBs.  There has simply been too many fumbles by our RBs this season.

hogsanity

How fans can underestimate the problem caused by lack of depth.  A team might have the most dominate d-line in football,. BUT if the 2nd string is the worst 4 d-linemen to ever play the game, then that team is still going to have d-line problems.

opineonswine

The progress we have made in one short year with basically the same personnel.  The change in DC has been outstanding.  The real problem with the Razorbacks is STILL the problem that only time and hard work can fix....recruiting.  The prior coaching staff was simply not good at recruiting...particularly on defense but really across the board and it left us with depth and talent deficits ESPECIALLY relative to the rest of the SEC.

It will take time to rebuild.  That is the hateful reality.  But I am most shocked at how much progress and improvement we've made in year 2.

chuggs33

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2014, 09:01:03 am
How fans can underestimate the problem caused by lack of depth.  A team might have the most dominate d-line in football,. BUT if the 2nd string is the worst 4 d-linemen to ever play the game, then that team is still going to have d-line problems.
We definitely have a depth problem, but more time in the system will help. 
:razorback:

wupigsuey

I admit I'm surprised at how far we've had to come. I said aloud that I thought we would win 6 games CBB's first year. I certainly thought that we could reach that milestone this year but, I'm not so sure now. I'm disappointed, just like everyone else but, I think we're going to get there. Many of our key players are sophomores.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

hogsanity

Quote from: wupigsuey on October 20, 2014, 09:11:05 am
I certainly thought that we could reach that milestone this year but, I'm not so sure now.

Many of our key players are sophomores.

When you thought 6 wins this year, did you think at least 1 of those would be against either msu or old misses?  Did you think that on Oct 20th that 4 of the top 5 ranked teams in the nation would be out of the secw, and another top 10 team would be one of the hogs sece opponents?

Your other point is key.  While other teams are loaded with srs and jrs, the Hogs start fr or sophs at many key spots.

wupigsuey

Quote from: hogsanity on October 20, 2014, 09:16:56 am
When you thought 6 wins this year, did you think at least 1 of those would be against either msu or old misses?  Did you think that on Oct 20th that 4 of the top 5 ranked teams in the nation would be out of the secw, and another top 10 team would be one of the hogs sece opponents?

Your other point is key.  While other teams are loaded with srs and jrs, the Hogs start fr or sophs at many key spots.

Yes, I kinda thought we would at least beat one of the 2 Miss teams if not both. I don't think many expected to see what we have out of them. We may still but, it doesn't look as favorable as it did. I would have expected AU and BAMA to be near the top but not many others.
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

hogsanity

Quote from: wupigsuey on October 20, 2014, 09:32:24 am
Yes, I kinda thought we would at least beat one of the 2 Miss teams if not both. I don't think many expected to see what we have out of them. We may still but, it doesn't look as favorable as it did. I would have expected AU and BAMA to be near the top but not many others.

I too thought 6 wins, maybe 7. 4-0 ooc, then a split with the miss schools, and a splits with ga/mizzu. Thought they might catch LSU napping, and still could, but now it looks as if beating LSu is going to be a must to get to 6 wins.

RazorPiggie

#1 Shocked that our FG kicking is as bad as it has been. I was hoping Hedlund would come in here and continue what Hocker was doing. I've never felt comfortable with Henson kicking.

#2 Our defense is playing much better than I thought it would. Toliver is by far our best CB and he's only a freshman. We still have those moments that make me cringe (like Liddell completely whiffing at a player Saturday). And I'll be extremely happy once Tevin, B Mitchell, A Turner, and R Gaines are no longer on our defense. Jennings should get this corrected in a year or two.

#3 Shocked we played aTm and Bama close. I really thought the Aggies would throw us out of the building and Bama would run us out of the building.

#4 Shocked that we are recruiting as well as we are with the way the last 2 years have gone. But the kids are noticing that we are improved and only a couple of pieces away from competing week in and week out.

jlhogfan

Quote from: opineonswine on October 20, 2014, 09:08:44 am
The progress we have made in one short year with basically the same personnel.  The change in DC has been outstanding.  The real problem with the Razorbacks is STILL the problem that only time and hard work can fix....recruiting.  The prior coaching staff was simply not good at recruiting...particularly on defense but really across the board and it left us with depth and talent deficits ESPECIALLY relative to the rest of the SEC.

It will take time to rebuild.  That is the hateful reality.  But I am most shocked at how much progress and improvement we've made in year 2.

I don't believe many are saying we haven't improved from last year.  I believe many (myself included) think that the term rebuild is what is concerning.  Rebuild to what?  Rebuilding to a consistent 7-5 6-6 type team then yes, we are; building to a consistent SEC championship contender type team, then that is where the disparity comes in.  You are spot on about recruiting.  Yes, we are recruiting better, but we are still something like 8-9 in the SEC in recruiting.  If that improves, then ok, maybe.   

Idahog

Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

The Kig

Have both positive and negative shocks....

Positive:
- How much more competitive we were vs. Bama than the last 2 years.  Two 52-0 beat downs followed by a 14-13 game that we should have won is really remarkable. 
- The future of our Offensive line.... we are going to be OMG good.
- The overall improvement of the team (even the defense which looked terrible at times vs. Georgia).  Our losses have all come at the hands of Top 10 teams (at least when we played them- A&M was #6).  Other than the Georgia game, we were in all of them.  Despite the 4th quarter woes, we had been going toe-to-toe with everyone. 
-  How really good we are when we stick to what we do well.  Auburn gets a ton of grief/ credit for the simplicity of their offense.  They run a few plays and will run them over and over until they perfect the repetition and spring a big gainer.  We have had a few games where we cram the ball down a teams throat and the next series the announcers are baffled by what we are trying to do. 

Negative:
- How many dumb mistakes we continue to make this far into the season that have cost us games.  A&M and Bama should both be wins.  Other than Georgia, our losses are all self inflicted.   
- That BA hasn't progressed.  I bought into the hype that he spent the summer working with ex-nfl players, last year was due to lack of practice and shoulder injury.  Staring down your lone target is not good QB play.  On a brighter note, he hasn't thrown many INT's because he is so off target that most passes seem to be 10 yards away from anyone. 
- How good the Mississippi schools are... Misstake was one of the wins I expected this year and right now they look like the best team in the country.   Nasty defense with a surprisingly potent offense. 
Poker Porker

jlhogfan

Quote from: HF#1 on October 20, 2014, 10:31:28 am
Pretty sure Philon was an addition by Bielema.  Peters is gone.  How good you think Gaines is?  Mitchell is inconsistent.

I mean, did we not have the absolute worst secondary in the country last year?  The fact that we have gotten a few good games out of them this season is a modern miracle.  Our D-line is good but they are just as inconsistent as everyone else.  Philon and Flowers have been solid.

You can't possibly think that the defense we started with last season was even close to being good.  That group was left by Petrino and John L, no?   Yes, Robb Smith has done a hell of a job and I hope he is here for a very long time.

Your little list of players there, has about two real talented players that contribute on a consistent basis on it. 

My post was directed at the folks that have already drawn their conclusion that Bielema won't be successful here. 

When you say "folks believe Bielema won't be successful here", what about Coach B and anything you have seen so far, screams SEC Championship or National Champ?  Or, do you define successful as consistent 7-5 with occasional 9-3?

HF#1

Quote from: jlhogfan on October 20, 2014, 10:37:27 am
When you say "folks believe Bielema won't be successful here", what about Coach B and anything you have seen so far, screams SEC Championship or National Champ?  Or, do you define successful as consistent 7-5 with occasional 9-3?

It's year two.  I've never claimed he would win that but I'm willing to give him time to allow for it. 

What about coach B leads you to believe he won't win anything here?  It goes both ways and your argument as to why he wouldn't is just as invalid as mine is to why he would.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

jlhogfan

Quote from: HF#1 on October 20, 2014, 10:41:29 am
It's year two.  I've never claimed he would win that but I'm willing to give him time to allow for it. 

What about coach B leads you to believe he won't win anything here?  It goes both ways and your argument as to why he wouldn't is just as invalid as mine is to why he would.

His 0'fer in SEC games!  Just kidding, I know what you are getting at. Your right, it is still early, but the indications are he could go 0'fer in the SEC again this year, and sorry, but two years in a row of not winning a conference game kind of indicates something. 

Bebop

What I'm most shocked by is that lack of leadership. This lack of leadership has caused us to be undisciplined, sloppy, and has cost us games. Real leadership doesn't crumble in the 4th when you are up two scores. Real leadership takes advantage of mistakes and overcomes your own mistakes. Real leadership would have maintain the lead at A&M and won the game that Bama was trying to give us. Real leadership outsmarts your opponent either by doing the same thing that is working effectively or trying something different when it doesn't. We lack real leadership from the coaches to the players. The proof is in the pudding.

GolfnHog

Quote from: jlhogfan on October 20, 2014, 10:37:27 am
Or, do you define successful as consistent 7-5 with occasional 9-3?

The Hogs will get there but, until then, your question can wait. I do like the progress that this team has made this year though I never anticipated we'd be in any conversations of playoff contention.

The Hogs are a SO & FR laden team that are playing key roles and all things considered, they're improving but not at a rate that is acceptable by the masses that think they could coach this team and make winners out of them and bowl contenders in 1.5 years.

Patience is not a commodity that's well received in Hognation but it's required.
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

hogcard1964

Quote from: Bebop on October 20, 2014, 10:56:28 am
What I'm most shocked by is that lack of leadership. This lack of leadership has caused us to be undisciplined, sloppy, and has cost us games. Real leadership doesn't crumble in the 4th when you are up two scores. Real leadership takes advantage of mistakes and overcomes your own mistakes. Real leadership would have maintain the lead at A&M and won the game that Bama was trying to give us. Real leadership outsmarts your opponent either by doing the same thing that is working effectively or trying something different when it doesn't. We lack real leadership from the coaches to the players. The proof is in the pudding.

+100000

Very good post.

HF#1

Quote from: GolfnHog on October 20, 2014, 10:58:54 am
The Hogs will get there but, until then, your question can wait. I do like the progress that this team has made this year though I never anticipated we'd be in any conversations of playoff contention.

The Hogs are a SO & FR laden team that are playing key roles and all things considered, they're improving but not at a rate that is acceptable by the masses that think they could coach this team and make winners out of them and bowl contenders in 1.5 years.

Patience is not a commodity that's well received in Hognation but it's required.

It's not a commodity that is even in existence on this message board.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

WarPig88

I am most shocked at how well some fans have become at accepting losing.

It was only 3 years ago that a lot folks were po'd about losing to only Bama and LSU.

Now we have a 12 game conference losing streak and a lot of posters on this board can't even understand why some are frustrated because Coach B is making a difference in these kids lives and handles the media so well.

To me, the acceptance of losing and moral victories is what is most shocking.

HF#1

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 11:01:40 am
I am most shocked at how well some fans have become at accepting losing.

It was only 3 years ago that a lot folks were po'd about losing to only Bama and LSU.

Now we have a 12 game conference losing streak and a lot of posters on this board can't even understand why some are frustrated because Coach B is making a difference in these kids lives and handles the media so well.

To me, the acceptance of losing and moral victories is what is most shocking.

It's not accepting losing.  It accepting the reality of the situation.  We are in year two of a 4-5 year process.