Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

What has shocked you the most so far?

Started by HF#1, October 19, 2014, 09:03:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbadhog

I said four wins again this year and think that is still the number.  I am not surprised by the wins-loses at this point...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

PorkRinds

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 20, 2014, 03:12:16 pm
PorkHinds, That is the most truthful opinion. Bowl game or bust.

Yep.  We need to squeeze a bowl game out of this season.  I say we beat Mizzou and UAB.  That means we have to get a bowl game out of MSU, Ole Piss, or LSU.  LSU being the most obvious, but if we play well I think we could give all of them a decent game.  We play like Saturday, we will be curb stomped in Starkville and Ole Piss will hand us an embarrassing loss at home.

bigbadhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 03:05:55 pm
I'm with therazorbackgay.

Of course you are, but my prediction is spot on so far...

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 20, 2014, 02:06:24 pm
His wife is a major infatuation with several here who want to post up and fight to the death over a coach who has done exactly jack squat in 19 games here.

PRJ

sharpd1

I've been surprised that we haven't been blown out more in losses.  I really expected no improvement on D.

TheRazorbackGuy

bigbadhog

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 20, 2014, 03:21:22 pm
Wrong Answer BiggBadHog, You should be surprised this team should be a bowl team and 5-2 at this point!

I didn't say I was happy with our results.  My win-loss prediction was based on my lack of faith in BB as our leader...

Razor1997

Our stupidly difficult schedule has shocked me.  The SEC West has always been the toughest division in the toughest conference, at least for a decade or so now.

But when both of the Mississippi schools are top 3 material, that's not only unprecedented, it just isn't fair.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 20, 2014, 03:23:21 pm

Blind faith and lame jokes.....

One day I hope we get to tell jokes to each other....

PRJ

Oklahawg

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 01:12:35 pm
If Richt was truly worried about our comeback, he was the only person in the stadium that was. Most of the people in our section left after the 3rd quarter and many left at halftime.

There was no comeback that I saw. I saw a strategy by GA that forced us to use clock to score and as long as they burned some clock there was no way that we were coming back.

The game was not as close as the score indicated at all. Richt's comments were coach speak.

Gosh, the opposing coach - paid millions to know the ins and outs of football - was worried, but the drunks in your section - who paid $100/ticket to see the game - left early to go drink more.

Not trying to go HV on you! Richt had reason to be worried. They couldn't sustain their success any more than we were going to let them. We were a different team after half. I am not one to trumpet moral victories but we won the second half. The egg laid in the 2nd quarter was inexcusable, but it is what happens to fragile teams who are on the inferior end of the talent comparison.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

LZH

Quote from: code red on October 20, 2014, 01:55:48 pm
I am surprised at the lack of discipline.

I have been in on this issue about BB for a long time....check the date.

Quote from: LZH on October 14, 2013, 02:13:00 pm
Off the field, I'd start acting like a grown man who's the leader of young men instead of acting like he's one of them.  Most of the trouble he's having right now is not football-related.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 01:31:12 pm
I'm shocked at the amount of hell raising around here after we get beat by 4 top ten teams as an unranked team.   

You're still calling A&M a top ten team?  Really?  If you disregard the garbage time TDs they scored after Mississippi State and Ole Miss called off the dogs in their respective games A&M has been pounded by a combined 142-24 since we played them.

They were ranked highly because they beat South Carolina when everyone thought South Carolina was good.  They're not.  Kentucky beat them, and I think we all saw what the LSU team that everyone on this site is predicting we will beat did to Kentucky.

HF#1

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 20, 2014, 04:25:08 pm
You're still calling A&M a top ten team?  Really?  If you disregard the garbage time TDs they scored after Mississippi State and Ole Miss called off the dogs in their respective games A&M has been pounded by a combined 142-24 since we played them.

They were ranked highly because they beat South Carolina when everyone thought South Carolina was good.  They're not.  Kentucky beat them, and I think we all saw what the LSU team that everyone on this site is predicting we will beat did to Kentucky.

They were clicking on all cylinders when we played them.  At the time, it appeared they were a top ten team.  It doesn't matter what they are now.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Razorback4

Hog fans in general (I have been guilt of it before) tend to have ridiculous expectations for a coach and a team that are unrealistic overall, let alone in the SEC west. I expected a couple of bumpy years to start of with CBB. I expected us to lose a handful and maybe pull an upset or two. But overall, I am extremely happy with where we are going. The offense is almost there, the defense has made HUGE strides, the recruiting is phenomenal, the depth is building. The pieces are here people, this program is being built again from the ground up. Give CBB a couple more recruiting classes and we will be seeing postseason success once again. Just be patient.

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 20, 2014, 04:25:08 pm

Wha were they ranked when we played them? See if you can remember.

EastexHawg

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 04:30:28 pm

Other than beating us, what's the most impressive win on their resumé?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/_/id/245/texas-a&m-aggies

Florida was ranked in the top ten last year when we played them, too.  Of course that was before they lost eight straight. 

Look at that A&M schedule.  How much would you be willing to bet they win another SEC game this year?

lumphog

What shocks me the most......IS THE STUPID "stuff" being posted on here....WOW!!!

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 20, 2014, 04:35:25 pm

Florida was ranked in the top ten last year when we played them, too.  Of course that was before they lost eight straight. 

Look at that A&M schedule.  How much would you be willing to bet they win another SEC game this year?

Indeed

PorkRinds

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 20, 2014, 04:35:25 pm

I notice you didn't answer my question. 

Pig In The City

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 20, 2014, 02:00:02 pm
You ever went to a coffee shop and ordered a black coffee.....And they bring it back to you and it is decaffeinated. You tell the waiter that it isn't caffeinated and he says, Yes, I am sorry. We know the problem and we are fixing the problem.....And then he turns around and brings you the same hot mess in a cup that he brought you the first time?

You can set there and give me reason after reason that he is doing this, doing that and on and on and so forth. He can come out and tell us he is knows the problems and he is fixing them and we are so close, so very close....But the proof is in the results.....

PRJ

If you want the best cup of coffee you have to go get the best bean. An ordinary bean won't do.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Pig In The City on October 20, 2014, 05:00:23 pm
If you want the best cup of coffee you have to go get the best bean. An ordinary bean won't do.

Its just sad

[attachment deleted by admin]

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 20, 2014, 02:29:19 pm
The degression of Alex Collins is not a positive sign. How he has declined is what has shocked me so far, the most.

He's had two bad games against two of the best run defenses in the country?  I wouldn't call that a "degression".  I'd just call that a guy whose had a couple rough games.

bigbadhog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 04:30:28 pm

Being ranked at all would have been overrated and most knew that which has been proven since...

TNRazorbacker

Quote from: Pig In The City on October 20, 2014, 05:00:23 pm

The coffee widely considered to be the best in the world is brewed from beans that are harvested in Indonesia from cat feces.  It's also the most expensive in the world.

Of couse "best" is subject to opinion.

So the question is, do you consume the cat feces hoping it's worth it, or stick with the ordinary beans you already know? 

Choose wrong and you could end up with nothing more than an expensive mouthful of shrat.

LZH

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 20, 2014, 05:44:45 pm
The coffee widely considered to be the best in the world is brewed from beans that are harvested in Indonesia from cat feces.  It's also the most expensive in the world.

So the question is, do you consume the cat feces hoping it's worth it, or stick with the ordinary beans you already know? 

Choose wrong and you could end up with nothing more than an expensive mouthful of shrat.

Kopi Luwak.  It's excellent...everyone should try it.

(Psyche!  I wouldn't know, I had never even heard of it til I saw "The Bucket List")

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on October 20, 2014, 05:44:45 pm

I'm a big fan of Ethiopian harar and yirgacheffe. Can't go wrong with a good Hawaiian Kona either.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

BlueBox

Can we go to what has shocked me the least?

Me standing up all game pacing the floor and being disappointed but next week I'm there again.  Wipe hands on pants repeat.

WPS!  It's coming soon.

secfan30

How close we played Bama and ATM.
I was thinking we would win between 5-7 games depending on some luck and I still think that is possible.

Boardon Hamsay

The [you] tag not being enabled is not only shocking but also disappointing.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&amp;Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

LZH

I don't know about shocking, but it's odd:  I've been in Mississippi for the past two days and haven't heard one peep about MSU & Ole Miss....not anything.  Not even much on TV.  I've been between Jackson and Hattiesburg in a little town called Collins, so it's no metropolitan area, for sure.  But I've spent time at the car lot, the restaurants, the dollar store, the bank, and in the hotel lobby where everyone has their coffee and donuts in the morning - when I ask, these guys act like they're not even aware of it.  "Oh yeah, I saw that...ain't that something?"

I've heard more about NASCAR at Talladega this weekend than both of the MS schools being in the top 3.  I guarantee if we were #1 and ASU was #3 (yeah, I know) and some dude from out-of-town was staying at the Best Western in Malvern, he'd hear about it from the time he left his hotel room until the time he got back.

goneal

I'm very surprised at how inconsistant they are. I knew they would have a tough season, but its particularly disappointing to see them squandering opportunities to shine with stupid penalties, often lackluster effort, bad offensive gameplans/execution and general lack of desire to win. This team should NOT be in a 15 game SEC losing streak. I don't care what they were picked to do, they have had opportunities to win some of these games and they're just not mentally tough enough or inspired enough to do what it takes to win.
To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.

Smokehouse

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 20, 2014, 02:41:25 pm
I know, I know....He would body slam me through the field....blah, blah.

I notice we have quit defending specific problems when it comes to Bret....and have just went full, batten down the hatch's, for better or worse, defend at all costs...

It is really shameful that people will defend a coach over a program...

PRJ

I'm perfectly willing to defend Bielema along specific "problems." Many people have been and continue to. Maybe you're just not reading them.

You know what would be bad for the program? Canning a coach with on of the best winning percentages in college football in year two of a massive rebuild following one of the most extreme coaching transitions you can have short of NCAA sanctions.

Being frustrated over losses is understandable. Losses suck. But the refusal by some to apply any context, critical thinking, or consideration that certain sacrifices have to be made for a better future is mind boggling.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HF#1 on October 20, 2014, 04:27:02 pm
They were clicking on all cylinders when we played them.  At the time, it appeared they were a top ten team.  It doesn't matter what they are now.

No, they did not appear to be very good.  Average at best.

LSUFan

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 02:04:04 pm
Which has nothing to do with his wife, as you stated.  I've seen improvement.  I'm sick of losses too.  But making asinine connections about fans liking him because of his wife isn't going to help and doesn't even deserve to be acknowledged.  I'll be the first one to tell you CBB has made some mistakes, but I also believe that he's made progress, and will be fine here once the wins come.  Unlike some people, I take no pleasure out of coaches being bashed and the fan base being divided.
Progress would be three conference wins.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Smokehouse

Quote from: LSUFan on October 20, 2014, 08:33:46 pm
Like fans expecting one damn Conference win in 1.5 years of used car salesman talk?

The most ignorant post on HV since the hiring of CBB.

Bless your heart. It's really difficult to consider circumstances apart from black-and-white measures. Maybe you'll get it one day.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

LSUFan

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 20, 2014, 08:42:53 pm
Bless your heart. It's really difficult to consider circumstances apart from black-and-white measures. Maybe you'll get it one day.
Were the PB&Js not fresh enough at half time?

Bless your heart, maybe if you had played a down or two, you would get it.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 20, 2014, 08:42:53 pm

You know Smokehouse, I have read your posts and you seem like a pretty smart guy so I will pose you the question I asked our resident statistical guru Muskogee and he hasn't answered yet.

Give me a coach who has sustainable success at the same program he started out with a 0-12 conference record?

I want someone to answer that and tell me why it will all come out rose petals at the end of the day....

PRJ

rusvegashog

October 20, 2014, 09:04:52 pm #187 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 09:42:32 pm by rusvegashog
What's shock me the most is that people were sleeping on Georgia going into that game. Not that it matters or that ANYONE cares, but they were my pick to win it all coming into this season. Several factors contributed to the way we played Saturday, but none more so than that Georgia is legit. JMO. As a fan of the Hogs and a realist I've been pleasantly surprised and even a bit shocked at times at how well we've played this year. I really hope not for my sake as a fan but for those seniors( Flowers coming back etc.)that they get to taste some SEC success this year. Thus far they've proven their resolve to me. Go Hogs. Wish we had Spaight and Derby another year.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 20, 2014, 08:57:35 pm
You know Smokehouse, I have read your posts and you seem like a pretty smart guy so I will pose you the question I asked our resident statistical guru Muskogee and he hasn't answered yet.

Give me a coach who has sustainable success at the same program he started out with a 0-12 conference record?

I want someone to answer that and tell me why it will all come out rose petals at the end of the day....

PRJ

Imagine that....no one wants to touch this one.

PRJ

LZH

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 20, 2014, 10:16:25 pm

PRJ

Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me! I will take a shot at it.................

In modern football?  No one.

PorkRinds

Quote from: LSUFan on October 20, 2014, 08:50:37 pm
Were the PB&Js not fresh enough at half time?

Bless your heart, maybe if you had played a down or two, you would get it.

Screw off corn dog.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: LZH on October 20, 2014, 10:27:57 pm
Ooh, ooh, pick me, pick me! I will take a shot at it.................

In modern football?  No one.

Thank you....You pass the quiz.....

PRJ

bphi11ips

Quote from: jonbo on October 20, 2014, 06:53:10 pm
This is my defense: You cannot tell if CBB is good, great, bad or indifferent as a coach with the schedule he has this year. He might NOT be successful down the line, but the 16 straight SEC losses do not mean a bloody thing. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Arkansas right now is in the middle of the toughest stretch of games in the entire history of college football. It is playoff football, all the time, and all we know is they're not really a playoff-caliber team at this point. Nothing else. It looks like they've improved, but not enough. But I maintain it's impossible to conclude anything about CBB. The schedule's just been too freakin' ridiculous. People may think of this as an excuse, but he has to get another pass this year.

Jonbo is the best new poster on Hogville.  Some of the regulars in this thread can't figure out from week to week what they think. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 20, 2014, 10:37:05 pm
Jonbo is the best new poster on Hogville.  Some of the regulars in this thread can't figure out from week to week what they think. 

I guess that is aimed at me......I kid, I kid.....

PRJ

Smokehouse

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 20, 2014, 10:16:25 pm

PRJ

I was driving back to my house in the time you posted that. I try not to Hogville and drive :)

Asking for coaches who have gone 0-12 is a highly arbitrary figure. There is not a precedent for a coach taking over after a scandal, a year with an interim coach, and at a school playing in what is this season arguably the greatest division in the history of college football. If you want to argue semantics, it may not be the best but it's certainly in the discussion. If the Hogs opening SEC slate was Kentucky, Florida, and Vanderbilt we wouldn't be winless in conference play this season. Circumstances matter, and the A&M loss is the only one that's really cringe worthy.

Even with a bad season and a half with a depleted Arkansas unit, Bret Bielema's winning percentage is 67%. That is a great performance. He stepped into a situation with one serviceable QB on campus (who promptly injured his throwing shoulder), a lot of missing pieces on offense, and a razor thin defense.

To act like 0-12 is an accurate indicator of future success is to be cynical to the point of obstinance.

I assume this is of little value since you'll merely hang your hat on the arbitrary "0-12" number, but there is precedent for coaches to have two poor first years in conference play and turn it around. Coaches in bold won a national championship at the same school where they had that record. Mack is the only coach to not win a conference title at the same school, but he went on to win over 60% of his games at North Carolina before landing the Texas job.

Barry Alvarez: 2-14 (Big 10)
Ralph Jordan: 3-11 (SEC)
Wally Butts: 3-6-1 (SEC)
Dana Bible: 2-10 (SWC)
Mack Brown: 1-13 (ACC)
Eddie Robinson: 3-8 (SAC)

If you expand the list to include coaches with a poor first season and a mediocre second season it grows considerably.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 20, 2014, 11:03:47 pm
I was driving back to my house in the time you posted that. I try not to Hogville and drive :)

Asking for coaches who have gone 0-12 is a highly arbitrary figure. There is not a precedent for a coach taking over after a scandal, a year with an interim coach, and at a school playing in what is this season arguably the greatest division in the history of college football. If you want to argue semantics, it may not be the best but it's certainly in the discussion. If the Hogs opening SEC slate was Kentucky, Florida, and Vanderbilt we wouldn't be winless in conference play this season. Circumstances matter, and the A&M loss is the only one that's really cringe worthy.

Even with a bad season and a half with a depleted Arkansas unit, Bret Bielema's winning percentage is 67%. That is a great performance. He stepped into a situation with one serviceable QB on campus (who promptly injured his throwing shoulder), a lot of missing pieces on offense, and a razor thin defense.

To act like 0-12 is an accurate indicator of future success is to be cynical to the point of obstinance.

I assume this is of little value since you'll merely hang your hat on the arbitrary "0-12" number, but there is precedent for coaches to have two poor first years in conference play and turn it around. Coaches in bold won a national championship at the same school where they had that record. Mack is the only coach to not win a conference title at the same school, but he went on to win over 60% of his games at North Carolina before landing the Texas job.

Barry Alvarez: 2-14 (Big 10)
Ralph Jordan: 3-11 (SEC)
Wally Butts: 3-6-1 (SEC)
Dana Bible: 2-10 (SWC)
Mack Brown: 1-13 (ACC)
Eddie Robinson: 3-8 (SAC)

If you expand the list to include coaches with a poor first season and a mediocre second season it grows considerably.

I appreciate your answer....

So Barry Alvarez and Mack Brown?

Well, its something.....

PRJ

EastexHawg

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 20, 2014, 02:29:19 pm
The degression of Alex Collins is not a positive sign. How he has declined is what has shocked me so far, the most.

I'm not so sure he has regressed.   He's playing against better defenses and the line isn't capable of blowing open the enormous holes we were seeing against Texas Tech, NIU, and Nicholls.

hogman64

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 20, 2014, 11:19:18 pm
I'm not so sure he has regressed.   He's playing against better defenses and the line isn't capable of blowing open the enormous holes we were seeing against Texas Tech, NIU, and Nicholls.

yes check his stats for both years , having weaker  games against teams like Bama and Georgia isn't all that out of character.

Hogs-n-Roses

PRJ  I think Lou Holtz did it at SC or at least went 0 fer his whole first year. I m also not sure if you could call what he did at SC sustainable success. As far as what s shocking to me is some peoples ability to not let others have a few doubts about the future with what we've seen.  Its all speculation. What our coach did at another school don't mean squat and isn't very good validation of whats possible here. I have been back and forth with it myself. We're improved but inconsistent at best. Its not shocking but it is strange how people have to find a way to look at this mess in some stretch of the imagination in order to back the side they're on.

We all want Arkansas to win. I don't know a soul who wants us to lose so they can be right. There is no way Coach B is going anywhere, nor does most of the fans want him to. It is a bit alarming how some fans want you to look at things the way they do or your a troll,hater,bad fan.... We're not robots right?

WhatsitHOGabout

I am surprised that we still are employing a failed SEC Offensive coordinator.  I do not care what happens the remainder of this season, we can do better than JC at OC.  We should do that and everything else will fall into place.  :razorback: