Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I don't buy that Chaney's offense

Started by Piggfoot, October 19, 2014, 08:30:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Is so complicated it takes two years to learn. I do believe it may take a year for a high school player to adjust to the speed of the SEC game, especially if that player has been playing against teams composed at times of kids in grades 10-12, especially in Arkansas.
I lived in San Antonio for eight years. High school games there were typically played in front of 25,000 fans. The quality of play is far ahead of Arkansas high school play. The mental toughness and maturity is more developed in those kids than those in Arkansas.
The most difficult positions to learn are QB and Safety. Both require lighting reflexes and computer like analysis that can only come from experience at a high level.

Some will say but look at Johnny Football. Johnny was a red shirt freshman protected by a senior line many of whom are playing on Sunday and throwing to a first round wide receiver, Evans. And, of course Johnny was without peers.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

ballz2thewall

i think that its reading the defenses that takes development time, which sorta circles back to offense.
The rest of the frog.

Danny J

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 19, 2014, 08:32:52 pm
i think that its reading the defenses that takes development time, which sorta circles back to offense.
Yes...it does take time but BA has trouble reading defenses and it showed up big time against UGA. I think that Chaney has to do a better job of teaching/allowing BA to change plays at the line according to what is actually happening on D. He also has to be less predictable. When we are able to run the ball the play-action passes work fairly effectively. When we are in obvious passing downs or in obvious passing formations is when we struggle a lot.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Programs need consistency.

Look at UGA their players were able to execute without many errors because they have had the same offense for the last 8 years.

Pro style offenses take more time.

HF#1

Learning the offense isn't the problem.  Executing the offense consistently is the problem.  Brandon Allen actually knows the offense quite well.  He has checked out of bad plays on a consistent basis and most of the time has been correct in doing so. 

It takes 11 guys to execute a play properly.  If one screws up we don't have the playmaking ability to make up for it.  Period. 

The first drive of the game is a perfect example.  We executed perfectly all the way down the field.  The rest of the game, not so much. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Vildsvin

If not for just plain old bad luck, we are 5 - 2 right now and well into the top 25.

It doesnt make since to start looking towards making major changes when we are a season and a half into a brand new program that was a complete dumpster fire when this coaching staff got here.

If we weren't even competing, then I would say maybe after this season we should reassess our situation.. but we are close. It crazy how close we are.. just have a little patience.

If we were in the East, everyone would be happy right now because Georgia and whatever western division teams we had played would likely we our only losses. Just have a little patience.

SantaHog

Chaney's offense can't be that complicated if he can coach it.  I remember him saying in an interview that he didn't know how to coach a left-handed quarterback.   ???

Augustus

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 19, 2014, 08:30:25 pm
Is so complicated it takes two years to learn. I do believe it may take a year for a high school player to adjust to the speed of the SEC game, especially if that player has been playing against teams composed at times of kids in grades 10-12, especially in Arkansas.
I lived in San Antonio for eight years. High school games there were typically played in front of 25,000 fans. The quality of play is far ahead of Arkansas high school play. The mental toughness and maturity is more developed in those kids than those in Arkansas.
The most difficult positions to learn are QB and Safety. Both require lighting reflexes and computer like analysis that can only come from experience at a high level.

Some will say but look at Johnny Football. Johnny was a red shirt freshman protected by a senior line many of whom are playing on Sunday and throwing to a first round wide receiver, Evans. And, of course Johnny was without peers.

From what I've seen Mike Irwin write about Chaney's offense on here, it is somewhat complex.

With that said, if our O-line can't block, and our RB's can't hold on to the ball (as was the case w/ Georgia, and with Bama)... does it really matter how complex or simple the scheme is?

jfred59

One problem is how many QB'S in Arkansas HS football take a snap under center anymore?  About 1 percent

Kevin

Quote from: HF#1 on October 19, 2014, 08:48:48 pm
Learning the offense isn't the problem.  Executing the offense consistently is the problem.  Brandon Allen actually knows the offense quite well.  He has checked out of bad plays on a consistent basis and most of the time has been correct in doing so. 

It takes 11 guys to execute a play properly.  If one screws up we don't have the playmaking ability to make up for it.  Period. 

The first drive of the game is a perfect example.  We executed perfectly all the way down the field.  The rest of the game, not so much. 

Not sure, he read anything saturday or checked out of anything
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on October 19, 2014, 11:13:26 pm
Not sure, he read anything saturday or checked out of anything

He did some very nice checks in Saturdays games actually.  He and his receivers do have shuttle hand motions for checks.  He try's to place them around thigh level immediately following a line of scrimmage check or decoy change of protection... At least this was the plan that was executed during Georgia. 

RollHogTide

IMO - It's all about the O-line and eliminating mistakes (penalties and turnovers).   When a team such as Arkansas chooses to be a power-team, then they have committed to dominating TOP and physically wearing an opponent down in the trenches.  Long sustained drives will disrupt a HUNH offense's rhythm and lead to the other team getting frustrated.  Over time the opponents defense will wear down and the game comes to the more physical team. 

But, the score HAS to be close - when down by 17+ points the game begins to shift.  It is difficult to play from behind because the offensive scheme has to change, which makes it increasing difficult for the linemen when the opposition can take risks by stacking the box.

lumphog

"IF" BA wasn't throwing balls HIGH we wouldn't be reading this $#!#

Break & Run

We are scoring like 30 points per game.

Why the hell is everyone so hung up on how bad our offense is?

It isn't the offense that's bad, it's the players trying to execute it that is causing the frustrations.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

IntegrityHog

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 19, 2014, 08:46:25 pm

Look at UGA their players were able to execute without many errors because they have had the same offense for the last 8 years.

I totally agree with you.  This is why I am reserving judgment on CBB until after the 2018 season.  That will be the first year that he will have a roster of 5th year players that he recruited (the 2012 class doesn't count).

3kgthog

Quote from: Break & Run on October 19, 2014, 11:48:51 pm

It isn't the offense that's bad, it's the players trying to execute it that is causing the frustrations.

A handful of games against some really bad defenses/teams is skewing that ppg number just a wee bit. Bama had no problems stopping us and neither did anyone else in most of the 2nd halves we've played.

trashcan maN

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 20, 2014, 07:55:48 am
A handful of games against some really bad defenses/teams is skewing that ppg number just a wee bit. Bama had no problems stopping us and neither did anyone else in most of the 2nd halves we've played.
You're right. Our offense isn't the top 10 offense that stats showed it was through 5 weeks or so, but it also is not a bad offense. It is an average SEC offense. Our defense is still below average but performing pretty well considering the talent we have on that side of the ball.

If we can keep all of our assistants together for several years for a change, we might be pretty damn good. Firing people only resets the clock. We should only fire someone if their unit is abysmal (2013 Arkansas defense)

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 20, 2014, 07:55:48 am

Bama doesn't have much problems stopping anyone

hoghevn

Quote from: Vildsvin on October 19, 2014, 09:27:54 pm
If not for just plain old bad luck, we are 5 - 2 right now and well into the top 25.

It doesnt make since to start looking towards making major changes when we are a season and a half into a brand new program that was a complete dumpster fire when this coaching staff got here.

If we weren't even competing, then I would say maybe after this season we should reassess our situation.. but we are close. It crazy how close we are.. just have a little patience.

If we were in the East, everyone would be happy right now because Georgia and whatever western division teams we had played would likely we our only losses. Just have a little patience.

Voice of reason - Thank you
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

upperdeck_hawg

I also don't buy that our OL aren't good in space and that is why we don't have a screen game. Hell, there are Junior High schools that can teach the screen. Not having any kind of screen allows the defense to rush with reckless abandon on obvious passing downs. I remember Georgia sending a cornerback on three consecutive downs. Why can they do this? They know we dont run a screen.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

DeltaBoy

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 20, 2014, 08:36:34 am
I also don't buy that our OL aren't good in space and that is why we don't have a screen game. Hell, there are Junior High schools that can teach the screen. Not having any kind of screen allows the defense to rush with reckless abandon on obvious passing downs. I remember Georgia sending a cornerback on three consecutive downs. Why can they do this? They know we dont run a screen.

Yep.  Not even a WR Screen.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 20, 2014, 08:39:19 am
Yep.  Not even a WR Screen.

Man we tried 2 WR screens last year. I think they both lost a total of 5 yards. One was against Ole Miss

DeltaBoy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 20, 2014, 08:42:43 am
Man we tried 2 WR screens last year. I think they both lost a total of 5 yards. One was against Ole Miss

Yep but none this year.  We can't even slip the RB out and use the WR to run a Bubble or slip screen.

BadHog

When you include his time at TN, Chaney is 2-26 in SEC games as offensive coordinator.

?????
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

PorkRinds

Quote from: BadHog on October 20, 2014, 01:01:39 pm
When you include his time at TN, Chaney is 2-26 in SEC games as offensive coordinator.

?????

He's worked at two absolute train wrecks for the entirety of his SEC career.  He will win some games here, no doubt about that.

DeltaBoy

?????

BOOM!

WarPig88

Quote from: trashcan maN on October 20, 2014, 08:05:14 am
You're right. Our offense isn't the top 10 offense that stats showed it was through 5 weeks or so, but it also is not a bad offense. It is an average SEC offense. Our defense is still below average but performing pretty well considering the talent we have on that side of the ball.

If we can keep all of our assistants together for several years for a change, we might be pretty damn good. Firing people only resets the clock. We should only fire someone if their unit is abysmal (2013 Arkansas defense)

We are NOT an AVERAGE SEC offense. We have to look up to see on of those.

What separates us from being one is our ability to pass the ball efficiently against SEC opponents. We have the running game right now, but the approach to passing in this offense is going to have to change.

What Stanford does in the PAC 10 won't work here. There are TWICE the number of NFL draftees in this league and simply throwing to the TE and working your way down the field on every possession instead of being explosive leaves little room for error in this league.

Augustus

?????

An interesting note about that stat... since 2011, Tennessee's SEC-West rivals are 50-3.

HOGINTENNESSEE

?????

Not that it's much better but it's actually 8-39 and 1-0 as a HC

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on October 20, 2014, 01:34:58 pm
Just can't believe in a coach that looks like this

What does his size have to do with his coaching ability?

Bigger issue is our Kicking game that cost us the Bama and Aggies game

trashcan maN

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 20, 2014, 01:07:15 pm
We are NOT an AVERAGE SEC offense. We have to look up to see on of those.

What separates us from being one is our ability to pass the ball efficiently against SEC opponents. We have the running game right now, but the approach to passing in this offense is going to have to change.

What Stanford does in the PAC 10 won't work here. There are TWICE the number of NFL draftees in this league and simply throwing to the TE and working your way down the field on every possession instead of being explosive leaves little room for error in this league.
We have an average SEC offense. We're not going to lay 40 on every top 10 team we play.

We have a better offense than Vandy, Kentucky, Florida, and Tennesse, and our O is every bit as good as SCar and Ole Miss.

hogfanfromlr

Quote from: Break & Run on October 19, 2014, 11:48:51 pm

Actually we average scoring 23.5 vs Conf teams and 58 points / gm vs Non-Conf. 

On Defense we are giving up 34.8  vs Conf teams and held Non-Conf teams to 16.3 points per game.

Which also happens to Mirror our Wins and Losses.

HogNdazs

I fully support Allen but do not think he is the kind of quarterback that can run a more complex passing scheme. At Tenn, Cheney had a pretty complex scheme going but with Tyler Bray? running it.

I don't think we have all the personel together. That said Cheney has made some iffy decisions but I don't think you can blame him for our losses.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 19, 2014, 08:30:25 pm

When the coaches say "it'll take 2 years to learn," what I think they're really saying diplomatically is "it'll take 2 years to get some guys in here to run it."

RB is the only consistent position, and there's an obvious talent gap at QB and WR. 
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

It may be numerically average, but it's one-dimensional.

Arkansas is also giving up too many points.  Arkansas has played 10 halves against Power 5 competition.  They've given up 21 or more points in 5 of them.  It may not all be on the defense, but Arkansas is still surrendering a lot of points, and tends to in bunches.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

hawgtime

Quote from: Danny J on October 19, 2014, 08:37:00 pm
Yes...it does take time but BA has trouble reading defenses and it showed up big time against UGA. I think that Chaney has to do a better job of teaching/allowing BA to change plays at the line according to what is actually happening on D. He also has to be less predictable. When we are able to run the ball the play-action passes work fairly effectively. When we are in obvious passing downs or in obvious passing formations is when we struggle a lot.

true... a lot!!!

BrianWPS!!

To fat, Cant coach qbs, offense is to simple/predictable,
What are we keeping him around for?????? >:(

Augustus

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on October 20, 2014, 01:34:58 pm
Just can't believe in a coach that looks like this

So, by that rationale, Charlie Weiss isn't a good coach either? (ok, bad example)  ;)

Seriously, his physical build has nothing to do with his coaching ability or play calling.

Also, he played college ball as a Nose Tackle. How else would you expect him to look in his 50's?

Bebop

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 01:04:21 pm
He's worked at two absolute train wrecks for the entirety of his SEC career.  He will win some games here, no doubt about that.

His only good year at Tenner was 2012.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Danny J on October 19, 2014, 08:37:00 pm
I swear we faked to the running backs more often than we handed it off.  if he is trying to establish the playaction instead of establishing the run, then he is doing a masterful job.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 01:04:21 pm
hmm, I see a pattern that includes chaney and trainwrecks.  I wonder if there is a correlation.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

The Pulse

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on October 19, 2014, 08:46:25 pm

Mike Bobo didn't seem to have any problems getting his players to grasp that offense from day 1. 11-2 and a Sugar Bowl W in his first year. That didn't take 8 years.

Bebop

I think Chaney's offense leaves little to the imagination. I hope Chaney proves me wrong. So far, however, he has proven me right.

Kevin

I think Chaney is working with the cbb offense   
This is not the offense they ran at Tennessee
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

PorkSoda

Quote from: Kevin on October 20, 2014, 09:06:37 pm
I think Chaney is working with the cbb offense   
This is not the offense they ran at Tennessee
45 passes a game is not a CBB scheme.

Kevin

When you cannot run it then you have to do something

WarPig88

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 20, 2014, 09:09:19 pm
45 passes a game is not a CBB scheme.

Better get used to it. It's the result of playing from behind.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: jfred59 on October 19, 2014, 10:39:05 pm
One problem is how many QB'S in Arkansas HS football take a snap under center anymore?  About 1 percent

agreed. and how!
The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

great post.  very true.  all this bullshiiit about our power run game was nice to hear, but c'mon, man.  i mean, REALLY? 

but the glimmers are there, no doubt. let it meld and keep coaches intact.
The rest of the frog.