Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O-line weakness.

Started by PorkerOinker, October 19, 2014, 06:50:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkerOinker

Quote from: rogers-hog on October 20, 2014, 02:56:54 am
There's a reason most great left tackles are jr's and sr's. If we had competent upper class linemen skipper would still be playing guard and would be getting good reps before moving out next year. But alas as with most positions that require time to learn the last staff failed to deliver.  Now we have trial by fire and if they struggle most of you dooshbags want to insult them or entertain yourselves with catchy nicknames for them.
        One last thing why with the greatest quarterback coach the school has ever had, do we have only 1 ,the guy you hate,  as a realistic option not one other sophomore,  jr or Sr? 

Are you responding to me??? I have not insulted Skipper in the least nor have I defended anything CBP did, especially his recruiting or lack there of! I actually agree with your post that Skipper may actually be forced to play out of position due to lack of depth at lineman. But either way SEC defenses are putting their faster/quicker DE's against Skipper and it is causing him problems.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2014, 11:12:53 am
Maybe our scout team defense is outstanding on stopping them?? Sometimes you show stuff for later plays, fake screen double reverse TE pass after running it?

You try things in practice.  If they don't work in practice, you don't try them in a game. 

PorkerOinker

Quote from: MountainHomeHogger on October 20, 2014, 09:20:12 am
Quick DE's are getting around Skipper because he doesn't use his feet, he is too tall to be playing that backside tackle....the Ends just dip under him... I've said it all year our line can run block but they are the worst pass blockers in the SEC...I understand they are young, and we have no WR's who can break away from corners, but we need to pass block 100x better.

Really worst in the SEC? Have you seen our stats when it comes to QB sacks?
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 11:28:04 am
You try things in practice.  If they don't work in practice, you don't try them in a game. 

I'm guessing the TE reverse is a killer in practice.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2014, 11:36:23 am
I'm guessing the TE reverse is a killer in practice.
It probably has worked in practice, which is why they've tried it in the game a couple of times.  You guys suggesting that the game is the time to experiment and "just try it' are asking for even MORE mistakes.  You don't try it if it's not ever worked before.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 11:38:05 am
It probably has worked in practice, which is why they've tried it in the game a couple of times.  You guys suggesting that the game is the time to experiment and "just try it' are asking for even MORE mistakes.  You don't try it if it's not ever worked before.

Ok Coach T.......

MountainHomeHogger

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on October 20, 2014, 10:33:51 am
Our O line is huge, but unathletic.  It's telling when Chaney says we can't run screens because our offensive line doesn't have quick enough feet to do so.  That's a telling statement.  It's often said that the biggest difference in the SEC is the athleticism of the defensive lines.  It's been evidence against Bama and Georgia that our O line struggles mightily with the D line quickness.  I am not ready to say O line is a weakness for us, but there is certainly a way to attack it.
I completely agree with you!!!