Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

O-line weakness.

Started by PorkerOinker, October 19, 2014, 06:50:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkerOinker

One thing I have noticed over the last three games is SEC teams are starting to put their speediest DE going against Skipper and he is starting to get beat more and more. I really like Dan, but I am starting to wander if he is just to big to be a real good pass blocker. If you look at the tape more and more of the pressure being put on BA is coming from his blind side, I know most of you will disagree with me, because Dan is GOD on Hogville.

This is not a criticism on Dan, because he can't control how big and tall he is, but I think his height is really his footwork when it comes to pass blocking.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: PorkerOinker on October 19, 2014, 06:50:12 pm
One thing I have noticed over the last three games is SEC teams are starting to put their speediest DE going against Skipper and he is starting to get beat more and more. I really like Dan, but I am starting to wander if he is just to big to be a real good pass blocker. If you look at the tape more and more of the pressure being put on BA is coming from his blind side, I know most of you will disagree with me, because Dan is GOD on Hogville.

This is not a criticism on Dan, because he can't control how big and tall he is, but I think his height is really his footwork when it comes to pass blocking.

Went back and watched the replay this afternoon and saw both OTs having trouble.  Cook nearly got BA killed on that 2nd possession.

They got batter as the game went along and more importantly BA got a little better at getting the ball out which has been as much part of the problem as the blocking.

Yesterday may have been the worst they'll face.  Georgia is built to pressure the passers in the east.  They'll be facing a defense built to stop the run in 2 weeks in Starkville.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on October 19, 2014, 07:02:33 pm
Went back and watched the replay this afternoon and saw both OTs having trouble.  Cook nearly got BA killed on that 2nd possession.

They got batter as the game went along and more importantly BA got a little better at getting the ball out which has been as much part of the problem as the blocking.

Yesterday may have been the worst they'll face.  Georgia is built to pressure the passers in the east.  They'll be facing a defense built to stop the run in 2 weeks in Starkville.

Cook has never quite come on like many thought he would and their pass protection improved in the second half some because we moved BA to the shotgun more and quit running as much play action. But in CBB offense we will have to be good in the play action pass blocking or no QB will ever make it.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

rogers-hog

There's a reason most great left tackles are jr's and sr's. If we had competent upper class linemen skipper would still be playing guard and would be getting good reps before moving out next year. But alas as with most positions that require time to learn the last staff failed to deliver.  Now we have trial by fire and if they struggle most of you dooshbags want to insult them or entertain yourselves with catchy nicknames for them.
        One last thing why with the greatest quarterback coach the school has ever had, do we have only 1 ,the guy you hate,  as a realistic option not one other sophomore,  jr or Sr? 

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: rogers-hog on October 20, 2014, 02:56:54 am
There's a reason most great left tackles are jr's and sr's. If we had competent upper class linemen skipper would still be playing guard and would be getting good reps before moving out next year. But alas as with most positions that require time to learn the last staff failed to deliver.  Now we have trial by fire and if they struggle most of you dooshbags want to insult them or entertain yourselves with catchy nicknames for them.
        One last thing why with the greatest quarterback coach the school has ever had, do we have only 1 ,the guy you hate,  as a realistic option not one other sophomore,  jr or Sr?
Bingo. Kirkland, Skipper, and Ragnow are all true underclassmen. Tretola is a JC transfer with no prior SEC experience. I think Smothers started maybe 4 games last year. Cook is the only experienced upperclassman on the o-line.

Those guys are still learning. This is still a young team. We have some physical specimens but we are still lacking depth and experience across the board.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Soooie21

I am beginning to think that all the attention by the refs on Skipper is starting to take the edge off and he is playing softer...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: PorkerOinker on October 19, 2014, 06:50:12 pm

Skipper has been playing with an injured ankle the last few games that is really hampering his ability to be mobile.
Go Hogs Go!

Theolesnort

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 20, 2014, 05:36:04 am
Skipper has been playing with an injured ankle the last few games that is really hampering his ability to be mobile.
This.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

bulldog04

I'm not sure if we will face pass rushers like Jordan Jenkins and Leonard Floyd the rest of the year.

SemperFi

The one thing that can slow down a pass rush are quicker throws such as slants, screens and draws. These plays take advantage of the defense pushing up the field vacating chunks of space. Of course getting our running game back to form will have a huge impact as well.

I've actually noticed our OT's getting beat to, but our interior has given up a few as well. We just can't execute those long developing plays and need to stick with the quick hitters. This all coming from an armchair QB with nowhere near the experience of a Jim Chaney.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

MJ2

I think we're starting to see SEC defenses vs a Big 10 Offense.   

LA Football fan

The other play we have that can take away from that pass rush is the shovel pass.  Surprised we didn't use it against Georgia.  When DE's are rushing that hard you can use that play to run right past them and get your OT downfield on the LB.  Burn them a couple times and they will be more hesitant on pinning their ears back.

3kgthog

If we are knowingly playing an injured Skipper and putting BA at more risk to injury, this staff is dumber than I thought.

I'm not buying the injury issue, though. The coaches admit their line isn't fast enough or athletic enough to run screens. That tells me they'll continue to get whipped by more athletic DEs like we saw Saturday. Skipper barely even got a hand on his man a few times because Dan was simply just too big and slow. None of it matters, though. With such a basic offense defenses can tee off at will. They know they will never get beaten over the top. This makes me feel bad for the players as they don't have a system that maximizes what they are capable of doing.

trashcan maN

In Skipper's defense, that kid that was owning him will be drafted in the top 5 or 10.

PorkRinds

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 20, 2014, 08:09:58 am
If we are knowingly playing an injured Skipper and putting BA at more risk to injury, this staff is dumber than I thought.

I'm not buying the injury issue, though. The coaches admit their line isn't fast enough or athletic enough to run screens. That tells me they'll continue to get whipped by more athletic DEs like we saw Saturday. Skipper barely even got a hand on his man a few times because Dan was simply just too big and slow. None of it matters, though. With such a basic offense defenses can tee off at will. They know they will never get beaten over the top. This makes me feel bad for the players as they don't have a system that maximizes what they are capable of doing.

Warning: Low IQ posting alert. 

onebadrubi

UGA was bringing blitz's all night from skippers side as well.  He can't pick up a DE And a LB/corner blitz.  He's also getting no TE help(I.e a chip or rub)

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 20, 2014, 03:04:56 am
Bingo. Kirkland, Skipper, and Ragnow are all true underclassmen. Tretola is a JC transfer with no prior SEC experience. I think Smothers started maybe 4 games last year. Cook is the only experienced upperclassman on the o-line.

Those guys are still learning. This is still a young team. We have some physical specimens but we are still lacking depth and experience across the board.

Bingo2.  This current set of OL's, added to with 2 or 3 strong classes, should be very solid for the next 3 years and hopefully beyond.

SemperFi

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 20, 2014, 08:09:58 am

I wouldn't call our coaching staff "dumb". I think that they're doing everything they can do to disguise our weaknesses, which abound and in the end it boils down to execution.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Dominicanhog

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 20, 2014, 08:15:26 am
UGA was bringing blitz's all night from skippers side as well.  He can't pick up a DE And a LB/corner blitz.  He's also getting no TE help(I.e a chip or rub)

I've seen HH whiff a few times this year that allowed some sort of chaos... our backs have gotten better.. Derby has improved.... Georgia's really good...

JaketheSnake

They started having the RB blocking off the left edge and Skipper stepping down to help inside as the night went on.  Kirkland Didnt do much, if any, better out there from what I saw.

chuggs33

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 20, 2014, 08:22:39 am
I've seen HH whiff a few times this year that allowed some sort of chaos... our backs have gotten better.. Derby has improved.... Georgia's really good...
I agree about Georgia.  They are really good.  Much better than I thought.  After seeing them play Tenn I thought that we would beat them by three scores.  Well, I'm still full from all the crow I had to eat, and I think I've got a feather stuck in my teeth.  Somehow, losing Gurley made them better. 

We are a young team that is miles better than we were.  I know its hard to see sometimes, but we are getting there. 

DeltaBoy

Yes we are a young team, no real deep threat WR and lack of depth across the board.  So let us all bite a towel and wait till next year.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Iceman

I think Brian Wallace is more of what we need at OT. 6'5" 305-310 lbs, quick and agile. I think Ragnow will eventually be an OT as well, once Zac Rogers takes over the Center position.

onebadrubi

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 20, 2014, 08:52:48 am
I think Brian Wallace is more of what we need at OT. 6'5" 305-310 lbs, quick and agile. I think Ragnow will eventually be an OT as well, once Zac Rogers takes over the Center position.

I believe Rogers will redshirt.  That would be pulling a jr center to replace him with a rs.Fr. 

GoHogs1091

Quote from: trashcan maN on October 20, 2014, 08:12:55 am
In Skipper's defense, that kid that was owning him will be drafted in the top 5 or 10.

Georgia's DE, Leonard Floyd, is a good player, but Walterfootball.com doesn't have him going in the Top 10 in their current 2015 Mock NFL Draft.  Floyd might move up some depending on how he does the rest of the season, and how he does at the NFL Combine.

As of now, Nebraska's DE, Randy Gregory, and USCw's DE, Leonard Williams, is projected by Walterfootball.com to be the 1st two DEs drafted.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Randy Johnson

onebadrubi

Quote from: Kevin on October 20, 2014, 09:07:01 am
Is ragnow hurt?

I believe is he had a concussion in a previous game. 

MountainHomeHogger

Quick DE's are getting around Skipper because he doesn't use his feet, he is too tall to be playing that backside tackle....the Ends just dip under him... I've said it all year our line can run block but they are the worst pass blockers in the SEC...I understand they are young, and we have no WR's who can break away from corners, but we need to pass block 100x better.

trashcan maN

Quote from: MountainHomeHogger on October 20, 2014, 09:20:12 am
they are the worst pass blockers in the SEC...
This is just flat out wrong.

Why do we have to be either the best or the worst in everything? We had given up like 2 sacks going into the UGA game.

Poker_hog

I've wondered why they don't put the juco guy in for 3rd and long.  He's clearly a better pass blocker and probably could block for a screen.
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

onebadrubi

Quote from: trashcan maN on October 20, 2014, 09:24:00 am
This is just flat out wrong.

Why do we have to be either the best or the worst in everything? We had given up like 2 sacks going into the UGA game.

It's the nature of MMQB forums.  Feast or famine type syndrome. 

ricepig

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 20, 2014, 08:52:48 am

I figured Jefferson would see a little time at OT, especially when they took Skipper out for a series. Jefferson is supposed to be very agile, and have better feet for the speed rush, instead, they put Kirkland at tackle.

onebadrubi

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2014, 10:09:04 am
I figured Jefferson would see a little time at OT, especially when they took Skipper out for a series. Jefferson is supposed to be very agile, and have better feet for the speed rush, instead, they put Kirkland at tackle.

I believe someone with a different skin color was playing left tackle than Kirkland when Skipper was removed.  Just can't remember the number.

PorkRinds

It's becoming obvious that what we thought was our greatest strength, our Oline, is not actually our greatest strength.  IN fact, against experienced SEC defenses, it's become one of our weaknesses.  Although they show spurts of being amazing, they all need more work.  Just a really young group of guys. 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 10:21:16 am
It's becoming obvious that what we thought was our greatest strength, our Oline, is not actually our greatest strength.  IN fact, against experienced SEC defenses, it's become one of our weaknesses.  Although they show spurts of being amazing, they all need more work.  Just a really young group of guys. 
You do realize we just faced the two best run defenses in the SEC right?  And still put up more yards than their average.  We just had to hit the big plays.  Even with GA, we are still just a couple plays from being in the hunt for the West. We just have to get it all working together

Who is our Coach?

Our O line is huge, but unathletic.  It's telling when Chaney says we can't run screens because our offensive line doesn't have quick enough feet to do so.  That's a telling statement.  It's often said that the biggest difference in the SEC is the athleticism of the defensive lines.  It's been evidence against Bama and Georgia that our O line struggles mightily with the D line quickness.  I am not ready to say O line is a weakness for us, but there is certainly a way to attack it. 

ricepig

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 20, 2014, 10:19:40 am
I believe someone with a different skin color was playing left tackle than Kirkland when Skipper was removed.  Just can't remember the number.
According to Bielema, they shifted Kirkland to tackle and put Charpentier in Kirkland's spot.

ballz2thewall

how can this line not be good enough to run screens?

one can search for reasons to dovetail the question, but i have a hard time crediting that as being the case.
The rest of the frog.

PorkRinds

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 20, 2014, 10:46:02 am

one can search for reasons to dovetail the question, but i have a hard time crediting that as being the case.

Both Chaney and Pittman have said it.  They lying?

ballz2thewall

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 10:47:49 am
Both Chaney and Pittman have said it.  They lying?

no, i'm not suggesting that they're lying; i've heard their statements.  i've basically assumed that they don't favor those kinds of plays.
The rest of the frog.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Who is our Coach? on October 20, 2014, 10:33:51 am
Our O line is huge, but unathletic.  It's telling when Chaney says we can't run screens because our offensive line doesn't have quick enough feet to do so.  That's a telling statement.  It's often said that the biggest difference in the SEC is the athleticism of the defensive lines.  It's been evidence against Bama and Georgia that our O line struggles mightily with the D line quickness.  I am not ready to say O line is a weakness for us, but there is certainly a way to attack it.

We did just play probably the 2 best front 7's in all of College football... we lost some and we won some... we are a dam good OL that is still young and inexperienced.. imo the future is so bright here we need shades. 8) :razorback:

Who is our Coach?

Chaney straight out said that this line isn't quick enough or good enough in space to run screens.  That's why we haven't run one in two years.  I know.  It's baffling.  Our best players are our running backs, yet we can't run a screen pass.  I for one would have liked to see Korliss Marshall with the ball in space with a few blockers.  Haven't seen it, and now we may never, I'm afraid.

ballz2thewall

the thing about screens:  they are a gimme to offset a strong pass rush.  its standard "go to" football; sortof automatic.

and we don't run them.  alex collins is built for screen passes. his style of running would thrive on it.

but, it IS monday.........
The rest of the frog.

Ironhawg

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 20, 2014, 10:46:02 am

It's not that they aren't good enough to run screens, it's that due to their size they lack the speed and agility to effectively run screens.

ricepig

Quote from: Ironhawg on October 20, 2014, 10:55:55 am
It's not that they aren't good enough to run screens, it's that due to their size they lack the speed and agility to effectively run screens.

Well, we pull them and expect them to run downfield to block, anyway, let's try one and see....

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2014, 10:59:23 am
Well, we pull them and expect them to run downfield to block, anyway, let's try one and see....

Agree we should try it!

I've seen effective screens with just ONE LINEMEN pulling out to block. All they have to do is take up space and get in the way.

Now, if it goes the way of let's say Derby on a reverse type of play, we'll all say ok that didn't work, it's a bad play call!

PorkRinds

Quote from: ricepig on October 20, 2014, 10:59:23 am

I'm sure they've NEVER run one in practice.  Never at all.  They're just guessing that they won't do well, and abandoning the idea of a screen game.  Jeeze people.  Come on.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2014, 11:08:00 am
I'm sure they've NEVER run one in practice.  Never at all.  They're just guessing that they won't do well, and abandoning the idea of a screen game.  Jeeze people.  Come on.

Maybe our scout team defense is outstanding on stopping them?? Sometimes you show stuff for later plays, fake screen double reverse TE pass after running it?

Kevin

are we playing a guard at tackle with skipper
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22