Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia fan's view of WMS

Started by HamIAm, October 19, 2014, 05:24:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HamIAm

Quote6) War Memorial Stadium - And speaking of a great fan experience, I thoroughly enjoyed being able to watch a game in Little Rock's War Memorial Stadium.  The experience is probably not for everybody, since it lacked virtually every "modern" amenity that we as fans have come to insist upon, such as TV monitors and stadium speakers in the concourse area, concession stands with something other than a hot dog, pretzel, and a coke, good cell service, seat backs for your bleacher-style seats, and any vendors that accept credit cards of any kind.  It has character, though, and I love that.  The stadium was built in 1947, and like many stadia of that time, the rows are extremely narrow by modern standards.  You barely had room between the rows to sit down, and if anybody near the middle wanted to get out to the aisle, not only did everybody have to stand up, but the person had to make their way down to the aisle not by walking in the row in front of the standing-up fans, but they had to stand on the seats upon which the fans had previously been sitting and walk down the seats to get to the aisle.  It was definitely close-quarters seating.

The fact that the rows are so close together is the primary reason that such a small stadium can seat about 54,000 people.  The entire thing is not quite as big as the lower bowl at Sanford Stadium, to give you a perspective on its size.  And the slope of the stands is quite steep.  In fact, the ramp leading up to the seats from the concourse area is easily the steepest I've ever seen in a stadium.  You have to be careful not to walk too fast on it or lose your footing, because a fall could be precarious there.

Still, though, I don't understand why so many Arkansas fans (and the stray LSU fan or two I talked to about the stadium) hate WMS so much.  It's a harkening back to a time when college football was more intimate and more fan-centric, and which is quickly fading in the modern world.  (In fact, some might say it has already completely faded away, with this one exception.) After the current contract runs out, I have no doubt that Arkansas will decline to play any more games in Little Rock at War Memorial Stadium, and for my part, I think that's a damn shame.  (In fairness, Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville really is an impressive stadium, and is a great place to watch a football game.  But it will never have the character that War Memorial Stadium has.)

http://www.dawgsports.com/2014/10/19/7004949/youre-not-on-notice-dawg-week-9

Wild Bill Hog

Nice.  Thanks for this.  +1 if I could.

ChemEHawg

1.) Does Georgia have a secondary stadium? No? I wonder why not?

2.) They can make up the loss of profit for the University if they like attending WMS so much.
Thanks for all the info.  Will probably stick to one of the places close to the hotel so that if I have a few too many I can stagger back.  Nothing better than your kids seeing you drunk.  I don't look at it as a bad example but rather a cautionary tale.<br /><br />-Dwight_K_Shrute<br /><br />I can't wait to have kids...

hobhog

Quote from: ChemEHawg on October 19, 2014, 05:38:34 pm
1.) Does Georgia have a secondary stadium?

2.) They can make up the loss of profit for the University if they like attending WMS so much.

Lighten up, Francis....

Dr. Starcs

I also like the fact that wms uses the sun to keep time rather than an actual clock on the scoreboard. Very old school.

hobhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 19, 2014, 05:40:17 pm
I also like the fact that wms uses the sun to keep time rather than an actual clock on the scoreboard. Very old school.

They ran out of Pizza in 2nd quarter of Bama game in my section, and clock/scoreboard malfunctioned first game at RRS.

Just thought I'd point out things that have nothing to do with OP, like you did....

ICEman

It is always easy to feel magnanimous after a victory.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Torqued pork

How could Georgia fan go home in a bad mood? They spanked us in a stadium where we're supposed to be practically invincible according to some.

Dr. Starcs

Quote from: hobhog on October 19, 2014, 05:45:48 pm
They ran out of Pizza in 2nd quarter of Bama game in my section, and clock/scoreboard malfunctioned first game at RRS.

Just thought I'd point out things that have nothing to do with OP, like you did....

How many times has that happened at wms?  Hmmm....lets say virtually every game. Sorry to offend you though mr clock operator.

LZH

WMS is a great place to watch a game.  I can understand how many wouldn't wanna have to watch more than one or two games a season there compared with a more modern stadium, but I love it.  I'm gonna miss it an awful lot.  If LR ever gets their collective heads out of their butts, I hope whatever new (or upgraded/enlarged) facility that hopefully can lure the Hogs back to town still has that "fans right on top of the field" feel to it.

hobhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 19, 2014, 05:54:51 pm

How many times has that happened at wms?  Hmmm....lets say virtually every game. Sorry to offend you though mr clock operator.

It's ridiculous, agree.

Just a few more games there and then you can attend all the games at RRS you want and don't have to be inconvenienced anymore.

tophawg19

georgia does play in Atlanta some times
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Dr. Starcs

^^^
Usually in the sec championship.

LZH

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 19, 2014, 06:05:26 pm

Ha!  Yeah, some of you cats don't wanna play in LR anymore but you'd do damn-near anything to play in Shreveport right after Christmas!              :P

Hogfaniam

I've been to at least a half dozen games in the last ten years at WMS. Sober at everyone.  I don't remember one clock malfunction.  There may have been but it just wasn't that big of deal I guess. 

I don't get the "dump" thing either.  It's spartan, to say the least, but everything has worked and no holes appeared in the bleachers.

The bleachers in DWRRS are no better than WMS.  I've sat in both.  The east side under the bleachers and the SEZ at DWRRS are as nice as they come for A non dome stadium.

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hogustus Caesar

Quote from: hobhog on October 19, 2014, 05:45:48 pm

GSD...it's over.
"Mastering the art of discourse with the tenacity of a razorback and the eloquence of an emperor – HogustusCaesar, where discussions meet greatness."

reddogjcss

Seems there is no home field advantage in WMS anymore. Times have changed the roads are great and all games need to be played on campus!

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: tophawg19 on October 19, 2014, 06:05:26 pm

Other than at Ga Tech and the SEC championship game, they have played once in Atlanta over the past four years, one of the "kickoff classics" against Boise.

LZH

Quote from: Hogfaniam on October 19, 2014, 06:10:23 pm
I've been to at least a half dozen games in the last ten years at WMS. Sober at everyone.  I don't remember one clock malfunction.  There may have been but it just wasn't that big of deal I guess. 

I don't get the "dump" thing either.  It's spartan, to say the least, but everything has worked and no holes appeared in the bleachers.

The bleachers in DWRRS are no better than WMS.  I've sat in both.  The east side under the bleachers and the SEZ at DWRRS are as nice as they come for A non dome stadium.

A lot of guys should remember, too, that most folks my age went thru that "wine and cheese" period at RRS.  It's not quite like that now, or at least so I hear, but there for a long time the atmosphere at WMS was light years above and beyond that of RRS.  That had a lot to do with many people's perception of each stadium.

Corkscrew Johnson

Georgia also doesn't claim to be a one university, no professional team state

popcornhog

They actually do. It's in Jacksonville. They play there every year.
WPS

Hogfaniam

Quote from: popcornhog on October 19, 2014, 06:16:19 pm

And get fewer seats allocated to their fan base than we get at WMS. 

Smokehouse

I read Dawg Sports pretty regularly, and I like vineyarddawg's posts. But he (and most of the writing staff there) are football romantics. He enjoyed WMS because it's quaint compared to SEC stadiums and he only had to go there once. If you're playing multiple games a season there it's less "harkening back" and "more stuck in the past."
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

WilsonHog

There was a time I enjoyed attending games at WMS. Seats on the 40 yard line, a drive that could easily be made in one day, and what turned into a post-game tradition of great prime rib at Steak & Ale.

Good times. I haven't been in 15 years or more, but I may go back one more time before we stop playing there, just for old times' sake.

Smokehouse

Quote from: popcornhog on October 19, 2014, 06:16:19 pm

That's a traditional neutral site game with a yearly game against the same rival. Very different from having a secondary stadium.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 19, 2014, 06:35:37 pm
That's a traditional neutral site game with a yearly game against the same rival. Very different from having a secondary stadium.
The same as the Texas/OU game. Tickets are split equally.

redeye

That's great and I completely agree with him.  And yet, I still think all but one small game should be moved to Fayetteville and WMS should undergo vast improvements to retain that one game.  I love old stadiums, but also understand the need to maintain and modernize a little.

Of course, I'm also probably the only one who misses Ray Winder Field and Barnhill Arena.  Specifically the latter, because Barnhill had so much more energy and that has nothing to do with winning and losing.

Stadiums used to be where men went to hang out, and women if they dared to tag along.  Now they're like plush country clubs for the elite wine and cheese crowds.

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: Hogfaniam on October 19, 2014, 06:10:23 pm

College football traditions:
1. Army / Navy
2. The Ohio State band dotting the i
3. Touchdown Jesus
4. Clock problems at War Memorial Stadium
5. The USC cheerleaders' sweaters.

redeye

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on October 19, 2014, 06:46:35 pm
1. Army / Navy
3. Touchdown Jesus

In fairness, I don't remember ever having clock problems until the past decade or so.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on October 19, 2014, 06:46:35 pm
1. Army / Navy
3. Touchdown Jesus

4a Some Razorback fans bitchin about anything and every damn thing they can. 

Dr. Starcs

I'd say the clock going out nearly every game played is a pretty big deal. Just as the blaring speakers from dwrrs led to a multi-paged thread after the first game this year.

Torqued pork

Quote from: redeye on October 19, 2014, 06:45:37 pm
That's great and I completely agree with him.  And yet, I still think all but one small game should be moved to Fayetteville and WMS should undergo vast improvements to retain that one game.  I love old stadiums, but also understand the need to maintain and modernize a little.

Of course, I'm also probably the only one who misses Ray Winder Field and Barnhill Arena.  Specifically the latter, because Barnhill had so much more energy and that has nothing to do with winning and losing.

Stadiums used to be where men went to hang out, and women if they dared to tag along.  Now they're like plush country clubs for the elite wine and cheese crowds.
It cost 100 million to renovate and expand RRS over 20 years ago. How much of somebody else's money should be spent to keep just one game per year in Little Rock?

Hogfaniam

Quote from: redeye on October 19, 2014, 06:49:31 pm
In fairness, I don't remember ever having clock problems until the past decade or so.

I don't remember any in the last decade.  Just asked my wife.  Her either.  Again, though, it could have blipped and it wasn't enough of an issue to remember.

When your butt hurt about something, even a hard fart stings.

Iwastherein1969

one can tell that you are at the bottom of the scrotum pole when, after every week the visiting team has nothing but "good things" to say about Arkansas....for God's sake, they feel so sorry for us that other SEC fans are beginning to try and put a positive spin about a War Memorial Stadium experience....doesn't get worse than that, people...because we ALL KNOW that spinning an experience at WMS as a positive, even after discounting the game, is well, proof positive we are the worst program in the SEC..it's like being at an 8th grade mixer and none of the girls will dance with you when you ask, then after a couple of hours after standing over in the corner, spilled cardinal kool-aid on your white shirt and looking pathetic, the inevitable "will you dance with me" out of pity come rolling in....Razorback Football is THAT kid
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

secfan30

Only thing good about your post is your avatar... It's ok for someone to compliment the game experience in Little Rock.

onebadrubi

Don't they play in Jacksonville as a neutral field deal and have for many many years? 

Dr. Starcs

I only wish I had been keeping stats on those clock malfunctions.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: hobhog on October 19, 2014, 05:40:12 pm
Lighten up, Francis....
haaaa....
You just made his list, Sgt Hulka
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

redeye

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 19, 2014, 06:59:09 pm
It cost 100 million to renovate and expand RRS over 20 years ago. How much of somebody else's money should be spent to keep just one game per year in Little Rock?

It hasn't been 20 years since RRS was renovated, but that's beside the point.  I'm talking about smaller upgrades for WMS and for all the events held in it.  I know it hasn't been long since they completed some renovations, but it's Central Arkansas' largest stadium and needs to be maintained.  It's held all sorts of events over the years and could continue doing so well into the future.

If you don't understand that, then you're likely the type who wishes "somebody else's money" shouldn't have been used to build Verizon Arena and that all the games, and concerts, it brings to Central Arkansas would be better in the 8,000 seat cow barn known as Barton Coliseum.

Quote from: Hogfaniam on October 19, 2014, 07:01:29 pm
I don't remember any in the last decade.  Just asked my wife.  Her either.  Again, though, it could have blipped and it wasn't enough of an issue to remember.

When your butt hurt about something, even a hard fart stings.

You guys just don't remember then, because it happens almost every game in WMS.  Also happens some in RRS.  I think it happens everywhere some, but it's happens so frequently in WMS that it comes across as incompetence.  And it's not bashing WMS when you're merely stating the truth.

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 19, 2014, 07:50:33 pm
Don't they play in Jacksonville as a neutral field deal and have for many many years?

Yea, the World's Largest Cocktail Party is held in Jacksonville every year.  If I had my way, Arkansas and ASU would play each year in WMS and that would be the only time Arkansas would play there.  I'm not an ASU fan, but it just makes sense for everyone.

twistitup

Outhouses have character but I don't still use one
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Torqued pork

It makes no sense for the UofA to play ASU anywhere voluntarily. Also, arenas are much more usable for most events than football stadiums.

LZH

Quote from: twistitup on October 19, 2014, 08:44:50 pm
Outhouses have character but I don't still use one

You're missing out brah.

Smokehouse

Quote from: redeye on October 19, 2014, 08:35:11 pm

Yea, the World's Largest Cocktail Party is held in Jacksonville every year.  If I had my way, Arkansas and ASU would play each year in WMS and that would be the only time Arkansas would play there.  I'm not an ASU fan, but it just makes sense for everyone.

Not really. That's a lose-lose proposition for the U of A. When Arkansas produces as few top-level D-I players as it does, why would we want to do anything that could help ASU look more like an equal?

Augustus

the UGA-Florida game every year has been played in Jacksonville, Florida, dating back to 1927... as opposed to Athens and Gainesville, with the exception of just a handful of years.

So I guess you could qualify that a secondary stadium. Plus they play in Atlanta quite often I believe (SEC Champ game excluded).

Hoggish1

Ham, It's an away game.  We took a coach back and you flew to GA.  You got to your bed faster than we did AND WE WERE THE HOME TEAM!

HamIAm

Quote from: Hoggish1 on October 19, 2014, 09:10:29 pm
Ham, It's an away game.  We took a coach back and you flew to GA.  You got to your bed faster than we did AND WE WERE THE HOME TEAM!
There's a whole lot of assumption in that post.

redeye

Quote from: Smokehouse on October 19, 2014, 09:09:10 pm
Not really. That's a lose-lose proposition for the U of A. When Arkansas produces as few top-level D-I players as it does, why would we want to do anything that could help ASU look more like an equal?

ASU looks more like an equal today then ever before, but they're still a Sunbelt team, while we're a P5, so it's hard to imagine it hurting our recruiting.  It would be an exciting game and most certainly more exciting then playing Nicholls.

Personally, I find it embarrassing that we're afraid of playing them (yea, I know many will disagree with my choice of words, but I think they're accurate.)  We spend so much time talking about not having a rival, but refuse to play a natural rival, who would love nothing more then to beat us.  I would love to stomp ASU every year and settle it once and for all.  We may lose some games, but if we can't beat ASU regularly, then we have larger problems then we're willing to admit.

But that's a topic that's been debated ad-nauseum and I realize many disagree.  And while we can refuse to play ASU, that won't stop them from playing other SEC teams, as they already do.

Smokehouse

Quote from: redeye on October 19, 2014, 09:44:29 pm
ASU looks more like an equal today then ever before, but they're still a Sunbelt team, while we're a P5, so it's hard to imagine it hurting our recruiting.  It would be an exciting game and most certainly more exciting then playing Nicholls.

Personally, I find it embarrassing that we're afraid of playing them (yea, I know many will disagree with my choice of words, but I think they're accurate.)  We spend so much time talking about not having a rival, but refuse to play a natural rival, who would love nothing more then to beat us.  I would love to stomp ASU every year and settle it once and for all.  We may lose some games, but if we can't beat ASU regularly, then we have larger problems then we're willing to admit.

But that's a topic that's been debated ad-nauseum and I realize many disagree.  And while we can refuse to play ASU, that won't stop them from playing other SEC teams, as they already do.

If we ever play ASU, it needs to be in Fayetteville and it needs to be clear that they're just there to get a paycheck and a stompin'.

But you're first sentence is the key. If they're improving as is, don't give them legitimacy by making them a "rival."

Hogfaniam

Quote from: LZH on October 19, 2014, 09:04:01 pm
You're missing out brah.

Nothing tickles your butt better than granddaddy longlegs

RedRock