Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is our fanbase less intelligent than most?

Started by luke hawg, October 19, 2014, 04:38:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

October 19, 2014, 04:38:52 pm Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 08:36:09 pm by luke hawg
We will be favored to win 3 games this season. We were picked to finish dead last in the SEC west last season and this season. Why are some people struggling with the concept that we aren't good due to a low level of elite division 1 talent in the elite division of college football?

ceegar

Go Hogs. Go Noles.

The Hogfather

We should be 5-2 right now.  It isn't a lack of talent. 

hobhog

Quote from: luke hawg on October 19, 2014, 04:38:52 pm
We will be favored to win 3 games this season. We were picked to finish dead last in the SEC west last season and this season. Why are some people struggling with the concept that we aren't good due to a low level of elite division 1 talent in the elite division of college football.

Your post answers your own question....

thirtythree

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 19, 2014, 04:42:07 pm

We "Could" be 5-2 if we knew how to finish games. Unfortunately, that is also part of the game. The talent is there. It is lack of mental toughness/awareness. Some of that comes from play calling as well. Our HC needs to knuckle down on this crap and get it going.

Wants2Win

What teams do you think we will out talent in the future?

JansterZ71

Quote from: Wants2Win on October 19, 2014, 04:48:48 pm
What teams do you think we will out talent in the future?
At this point only Vandy
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

RazorPiggie

We have the 4th dumbest fanbase in America. Closing in on the top spot quickly.

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 19, 2014, 04:54:32 pm

Standard answer from blind faithers who cant stand the facts....

PRJ

Divot

Quote from: RazorPiggie on October 19, 2014, 04:54:32 pm

At least we'll be #1 at something.

MissippHog

Do some of you actually think our staff coaches the kids to leg whip?  To target?  To push and shove away from the ball after the play is over?  All the coaches can do is deal with it after it happens and sit their butts on the bench.  Which is what they've done.

I don't know how you coach "focus" but our kids seem to lack it when we need for them to have it most.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 19, 2014, 04:39:42 pm
Thank you Phyllis from Mulga

I think it's Mulva......maybe

[attachment deleted by admin]
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

Torqued pork

I'm dumb for caring so much. I wish I didn't.

hobhog

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 19, 2014, 04:55:54 pm
Standard answer from blind faithers who cant stand the facts....

PRJ

I think maybe most fans understand the "facts" and situation.

But ill play- Give us your solution to your issues and "facts".

BigoBoys

Which games should we have won that we didn't? 

Supermark101

October 19, 2014, 05:16:55 pm #17 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 11:39:04 pm by Supermark101
Quote from: thirtythree on October 19, 2014, 04:45:04 pm
We "Could" be 5-2 if we knew how to finish games. Unfortunately, that is also part of the game. The talent is there. It is lack of mental toughness/awareness. Some of that comes from play calling as well. Our HC needs to knuckle down on this crap and get it going.

Our fan base got there hopes up way too high. I agree with you we are not mentally tough, but there is a defiant talent gap between us and the rest of the SEC West.

We "could" also be 3-4 coming off three strait blowouts, if A&M does not drop so many passes, and Bama plays like they are capable. We need to realize the talent IS NOT there yet. Anyone who thinks it is is wearing Razorback red colored glasses. We are right where we should be, this year. We have offensive play makers coming. We have to be patient.

Inhogswetrust

A lack of total talent. Some players in key positions are talented but not elite talent.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

RollHogTide

Quote from: Divot on October 19, 2014, 04:56:49 pm
At least we'll be #1 at something.

Never, Arkansas will always play a distant second fiddle to our (Bama) fans.   

We're #1, we're #1, we're #1  ;D

WashUhog6

I know we like to rag on our own fan base here, but the issues that plague the Arkansas fan base also run rampant in other fan bases. We're no different from other SEC fans in that our passion betrays our rational ability from time to time. We're also not much different other fan bases outside of the SEC as well. If you visit any message board or forum that includes fans from all over the country you'll see everyone suffers from emotionally charged views, demands to fire everyone, ref blaming, and unfair criticisms of coaching staffs.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: hobhog on October 19, 2014, 05:15:39 pm
I think maybe most fans understand the "facts" and situation.

But ill play- Give us your solution to your issues and "facts".

He can't. He's not the AD.

Pig In The City

Georgia and Auburn beat us. The rest we beat ourselves with mental lapse after mental lapse. It hurts but it won't always be this way.

Hogtimes

I think our fan base over reacts and get our hopes too high ........and yes  ..... take the game way to seriously.   After all it is just a game that is suppose to be for entertainment.   

It seems, that at least on this board, most fans get overly carried away with anything that good happens......  from a new recruit to winning a game.   Then when we lose or something fails we go overboard on despair.   

Just my two cents.

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Inhogswetrust

We will be favored to win 3 games this season. We were picked to finish dead last in the SEC west last season and this season. Why are some people struggling with the concept that we aren't good due to a low level of elite division 1 talent in the elite division of college football.

If you think some of ours are not intelligent you haven't been around aggie fans I guess!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

intelligence

i think we have a greater ratio of dumbasses to smart people than most, but i would argue that our most intelligent posters can go toe to toe with any in the country.

Lake City Hog

I think I get it, the intelligent fans agree with you and the others are dumb. Right?

texas tush hog

Quote from: Supermark101 on October 19, 2014, 05:16:55 pm
Our fan base got there hopes up way too high. I agree with you we are not mentally tough, but there is a defiant talent cap between us and the rest of the SEC West.

We "could" also be 3-4 coming off three strait blowouts, if A&M does not drop so many passes, and Bama plays like they are capable. We need to realize the talent IS NOT there yet. Anyone who thinks it is is wearing Razorback red colored glasses. We are right where we should be, this year. We have offensive play makers coming. We have to be patient.

At least somebody gets it, but sure is a rarity on this board.

MountieDawg

So you approve of 6 wins total in 2 years... Others may prefer to see more wins.
SEC!

Hogfaniam

"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Hogfaniam

Less intelligent? No.  Most have sense enough to stay off Internet message boards.

I'm here for the train wreck...and DST culture.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

PORKULATOR

No, we're actually about par for the course. I live within 3 and half hours from Athens, Tuscaloosa, Nashville, Knoxville and  Awwwe...burn. Some of the biggest morons root for teams from these locales and share the streets of Chattanooga with me.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

reddogjcss

No not dumb fan base just more fanatical than most! Team played so well we believe in them and know if they get pass the mental could of and can beat anybody!

Our fans are no different than nearly all other fans in the region.  We just want to win.  Many fans try to turn nearly everything into a positive and many try to turn everything into a negative.  The truth lies somewhere in the middle. 

I try to see things as they are but that's still based on my opinion.  We've lost 4 SEC games in a row this season and here's my opinion on them.  Auburn was just better than us and cleaned our plow in the 2nd half after us showing well in the first half.  We were never in serious contention for that possible win. 
A&M played about as good as they could against us and we had them for 3 plus quarters but they owned us the last quarter and in overtime.  They are not a good football team this season.  BAMA was pretty much at low ebb for our game.  They stunk terrible for a BAMA team and still won.  We aren't likely to have another opportunity like that against BAMA for a long, long time.   We had them at our house and ready for the picking and we just couldn't do it.  I hoped GA would show up flat as they can sometimes do but they didn't oblige.  They beat us because they were better, period. 

We really didn't come close to beating anyone but BAMA and they come alive just in time to seal the deal.  Please don't forget, they were terrible on this day, not BAMA, more like a decent middle of the road Big 10 team like Purdue or Ind. except they still had enough BAMA in them to close the door even though terrible.  See what they did to A&M one week later.  They kicked them in the teeth in every phase of the game. 

We are what we are.  I would guess its hard for the players to keep getting up and trying to just lose the game.  We play good teams in a good league.  We are not big enough, quick enough, deep enough, talented enough and well coached enough to overcome those teams.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Supermark101 on October 19, 2014, 05:16:55 pm
Our fan base got there hopes up way too high. I agree with you we are not mentally tough, but there is a defiant talent cap between us and the rest of the SEC West.

Maybe that's the problem right there.  Our kids just need to get new caps that don't defy authority. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hehawg

Quote from: BigoBoys on October 19, 2014, 05:16:08 pm
Which games should we have won that we didn't?

I believe your question answers the OP to a certain degree. You obviously missed those 2 games we SHOULD have won. Ridiculousness. ..
#LEFTLANE
#HAMMERDOWN!

kuhog

No, but we are certainly one of the most unrealistic.

PonderinHog

I feel like if I end my fandom, our average intelligence would go down - and that's really bad!

scooby21322

Go listen to Paul Finebaum's show for an hour and you'll realize we're not the dumbest.  The callers are rarely from Arkansas.

The Truth

The fanbases of 134 other universities are better educated than UA grads, according to US News and World Report.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-arkansas-1108

Overall, Arkansas ranks 48th out of 50 states in educational achievement, according to United States census numbers.

http://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/rank19.html
The Truth hurts.

Vildsvin

Quote from: thirtythree on October 19, 2014, 04:45:04 pm

With as thin and young as this team is, coaches are forced outside of their comfort zone in regards to play calling. Thus increasing the chance of coaching error.

Mature teams that are stacked with talent go a long way to hide coaching errors. Coaches with good teams like that also have a wide open play book and can limit their chances of calling plays they later regret.

WilsonHog

"Fan base," or "message board fans?"

There is a difference.

hogsanity

Are we talking lacking in football intelligence, or just being overall stupid. I would says posts saying that the Qb should be benched everytime he turns the ball over, because that's what happens to other players, shows such a lack of football intelligence, that brain dead when it comes to football may be an accurate description.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

cosmodrum

Lack of depth, lack of offensive play calling
Go away, batin'

Hogarusa

I'll ride the wave where it takes me

LZH

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

Supermark101

Quote from: Lake City Hog on October 19, 2014, 05:41:14 pm
I think I get it, the intelligent fans agree with you and the others are dumb. Right?

Now your gettin it.

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 19, 2014, 08:54:20 pm
Maybe that's the problem right there.  Our kids just need to get new caps that don't defy authority. 

Idk maybe they are too tight. We need looser caps

Quote from: The Truth on October 19, 2014, 09:36:26 pm
The fanbases of 134 other universities are better educated than UA grads, according to US News and World Report.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/university-of-arkansas-1108

Overall, Arkansas ranks 48th out of 50 states in educational achievement, according to United States census numbers.

http://www.census.gov/statab/ranks/rank19.html

+1, if I could

lumphog

Just read the responses in the thread..........YES