Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kevin Sumlin will not get it done at A & M.

Started by luke hawg, October 19, 2014, 02:01:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

luke hawg

The man is not capable of fielding a defense. He is in year 3 with elite talent and still getting crushed 45-0 against Bama. The one thing that gives me hope is there is the possibility of us being good on both sides of the ball in time.

Demaghog

Yep, there's no excuse to lose like that after pulling in top 10 recruiting classes.

rude1

When we are one of the ones getting wins against him, this will mean something to me.

luke hawg

Yes we pooped the bed against A&M but still looked great doing it with inferior talent. Our talent will increase a lot more than there's over the next couple years

Bubba's Bruisers

Forget the defense.  I'm becoming suspicious of his offense.  In his first year, any team with a quality defense figured it out by halftime and often just shut them down.  In year 2, JF took over and won a bunch of games for Sumlin.  He simply scrambled around when the play broke down, which happened a lot, and extended things long enough to get a WR open...often tossing up hail marries to a particular 6-5WR.  Now, take away JF, and they look incompetent.

Not convinced of Sumlin at all.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

showme

Quote from: luke hawg on October 19, 2014, 02:01:47 pm
The man is not capable of fielding a defense. He is in year 3 with elite talent and still getting crushed 45-0 against Bama. The one thing that gives me hope is there is the possibility of us being good on both sides of the ball in time.
Sobering to think that we can't beat that team when it is being coached by a guy that "will not get it done there". If they ever get someone that can get it done there, i guess we will lose by 50 to them ?

CDBHawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 19, 2014, 02:07:45 pm
Forget the defense.  I'm becoming suspicious of his offense.  In his first year, any team with a quality defense figured it out by halftime and often just shut them down.  In year 2, JF took over and won a bunch of games for Sumlin.  He simply scrambled around when the play broke down, which happened a lot, and extended things long enough to get a WR open...often tossing up hail marries to a particular 6-5WR.  Now, take away JF, and they look incompetent.

Not convinced of Sumlin at all.

His first year they were 11-2.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 19, 2014, 02:09:54 pm
His first year they were 11-2.

I know.  JF having much to do with...i say most to do with it.  A steady decline since.  A lot of coaches have great first years.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Razorfox

Sounds like another Petrino to me; great offensive minds, but limited by their defensive capabilities. 

Torqued pork

I doubt A&M hired Sumlin to field a great defense. The football culture in Texas has been all about spread offenses producing basketball scores for a while now.

CDBHawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 19, 2014, 02:12:05 pm
I know.  JF having much to do with...i say most to do with it.  A steady decline since.  A lot of coaches have great first years.

I was responding to your statement that most teams shut them down his first year.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 19, 2014, 02:13:17 pm
I doubt A&M hired Sumlin to field a great defense. The football culture in Texas has been all about spread offenses producing basketball scores for a while now.

I also think the SEC was getting acclimated to Sumlin's offense in the first year.  An offense run by a uniquely gifted QB that nobody ever really got acclimated to.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Razorfox on October 19, 2014, 02:13:13 pm
Sounds like another Petrino to me; great offensive minds, but limited by their defensive capabilities. 

I was thinking the same thing.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: CDBHawg on October 19, 2014, 02:17:21 pm
I was responding to your statement that most teams shut them down his first year.

Well, I said quality defenses.  FL and LSU Did.  Bama did not.  Nobody else really had quality defenses that I recall.  Maybe, quality was a poor choice for a description.  A top defense.

Sumlin relied heavily on JF's improvisation skills for a couple seasons, which were prevalent.  And JF relied on Evans to bail him out on several moronic, big play throws in national TV.  Never seen so many prays get answered for a team.  That's gone now.  Now the lack of defense becomes noticeable.

Theolesnort

Over on the SEC Rant board for the last two years according to Aggie fans they were owning the SEC or so they thought even though they had really done nothing yet. They are pretty mute about being elite at the moment. Expectations delayed.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on October 19, 2014, 02:18:28 pm
I was thinking the same thing.

Probably, but Sumlin had much more talent at his disposal. 

impact

We are getting our tails handed to us but we are criticizing Sumlin, Petrino and even Nutt.

Yep a typical day on Hogville.
Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

Marshfieldhog

Petrino is like 27-7 his last 3 years coaching in the FBS, not counting his one year stint at WKU. We are like 10-21, I'll take Petrino and his crap defense any day.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: impact on October 19, 2014, 02:31:37 pm
We are getting our tails handed to us but we are criticizing Sumlin, Petrino and even Nutt.

We need the distraction.

Pigdiana Jones

Good cause they don't belong in the SEC in the first place.
"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Theolesnort

We are getting our tails handed to us for valid reasons. We are short of real players although we have a few really good ones. I suspect the gripes will ease up next year though it should take at least 4 years but I do think we are ahead of the curve.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

The_Bionic_Pig

October 19, 2014, 02:41:12 pm #21 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:01:54 pm by The_Bionic_Pig
Quote from: showme on October 19, 2014, 02:08:26 pm
Sobering to think that we can't beat that team when it is being coached by a guy that "will not get it done there". If they ever get someone that can get it done there, i guess we will lose by 50 to them ?

Why are you saying them when what you really mean is us Tigerfan?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

impact

Quote from: Theolesnort on October 19, 2014, 02:38:43 pm
We are getting our tails handed to us for valid reasons. We are short of real players although we have a few really good ones. I suspect the gripes will ease up next year though it should take at least 4 years but I do think we are ahead of the curve.

Your post was a good post that is coherent and is very valid.  I was talking about the other posters who need to put down the Jim Beam before they post.  Honestly we are punching above our weight this year and will not see significant results for another year or two.  If a coach isnt cutting it, he will receive the Ash treatment.  We will continue to recruit better.
Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: rude1 on October 19, 2014, 02:05:00 pm
When we are one of the ones getting wins against him, this will mean something to me.

Rude you've done nothing but complain beginning in the Spring of 2011 since your Lord and savior ran his Harley Davison into a ditch...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Locutus_of_Boar

Sumlin will just speed his departure plans to the NFL where the GM can worry about drafting him a defense.

You never can tell how a team jumping conferences will react to the move and you can't project the impact of the rare talent like Manziel.

In two years A&M managed to tick off Bama for years to come and they've set themselves up to be LSU's Thankagiving turkey dinner forevermore.

Meanwhile, Arkansas will be able to count on starting the SEC race successfully year after year in Arlington and finishing relatively easily against a lesser breed of cat.

And down in Austin they're all beginning to chuckle.

rude1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 19, 2014, 02:43:41 pm
Rude you've done nothing but complain since the Spring If 2011 sunce your Lord and savior ran into a ditch...
See I guess you don't know me then or you are just projecting what you THINK I believe. I have gone on record over and over that firing BP had to be done, no way you could bring that guy back after his dirty laundry was aired and have him effectively lead this program. My issue is the guy we replaced him with and the fit. IMO we needed a guy who knew how to build a program and ran an innovative offense. We failed on both accords and here we are now....................

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: rude1 on October 19, 2014, 02:47:08 pm
See I guess you don't know me then or you are just projecting what you THINK I believe. I have gone on record over and over that firing BP had to be done, no way you could bring that guy back after his dirty laundry was aired and have him effectively lead this program. My issue is the guy we replaced him with and the fit. IMO we needed a guy who knew how to build a program and ran an innovative offense. We failed on both accords and here we are now....................

Failed based on his record in year 2 or lack of improvement?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

showme

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 19, 2014, 02:58:57 pm
he said we failed on hiring a guy who knew how to build a program and ran an innovative offense.

"IMO we needed a guy who knew how to build a program and ran an innovative offense. We failed on both accords"

He didn't say that BB had failed. You are creating drama where it doesn't exist.

rude1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 19, 2014, 02:58:57 pm
We failed to get a guy who ran an innovative offense, we failed to get a guy who knew what it was to turn a program around. Results, 0-12.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 19, 2014, 02:17:30 pm
I also think the SEC was getting acclimated to Sumlin's offense in the first year.  An offense run by a uniquely gifted QB that nobody ever really got acclimated to.
Sumlin's first year success is turning into a curse. It set wild expections at a school that consistently fails to meet expectations despite fertile recruiting grounds and resources most places can only dream about.

UABAlum

From an outsider looking in, you guys look much improved even though the record doesn't show it - more so than I expected.  A lot of good teams would have a similar record given the same schedule.  You guys have a good team.  You just need a better pass threat to keep defenses more honest before you can have a great one.  I see a number of respected teams this year with multiple losses who have not played anyone as tough as any of the teams you''ve lost too.  Southern Cal fmes to mind.  How would Ohio State have fared?  Or even Oregon? Or even Florida State?  The schedule is murderous.

farmhawg

He beat us....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jkstock04

Lol gotta love seeing us criticize other coaches/programs not getting it done. Something seems wrong with that picture.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

ballz2thewall

the hipsters on here were all about sumlin and a&m virtually taking over the sec.  yall remember all that.

johnny football was the team. 

badass qb's can make one hell of a difference; a very "duh" statement.

but they are VERY had to find.  i've said before in another thread, searching for that true dual threat qb is a luck-driven, losing proposition.  usually its half a season, then switch to WR or safety.

so you've got to build a team that can handle the mid range, which is likely what you're going to have.

sumlin's teams depend on a superstar at qb.  hill just isn't it.  he's good but not great and that kind of offense takes greatness.  if there's not greatness there, then the defense has to take up the slack.

defense doesn't really need superstars like some offenses.  they help, of course.  but building on the averages is good when occasionally you find that superstar.

how'd you like to have matt jones now?  not a great arm but it wouldn't matter.

personally, i like defenses and offensive lines.  get that, and someone will make a game out of it.
The rest of the frog.

Hogwild

at the end of the season Sumlin will fall to 2-7 against Auburn/Bama/LSU

farmhawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2014, 03:28:31 pm
Lol gotta love seeing us criticize other coaches/programs not getting it done. Something seems wrong with that picture.
Simpleton trying to deflect the criticism of our program......
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: UABAlum on October 19, 2014, 03:13:20 pm
From an outsider looking in, you guys look much improved even though the record doesn't show it - more so than I expected.  .

Thanks.  UAB looks to be much improved this year too.  Should be an interesting game next week.

Inhogswetrust

He got beat by other HIGHLY rated recruiting classes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogarusa

Sumlin will be fine.  He may want to hop to the NFL but id he sticks around and
continues recruiting top 10 classes, he will get the right DC at some point.  I hear Will Muschamp may be in need of a gig
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: showme on October 19, 2014, 03:04:47 pm
he said we failed on hiring a guy who knew how to build a program and ran an innovative offense.

"IMO we needed a guy who knew how to build a program and ran an innovative offense. We failed on both accords"

He didn't say that BB had failed. You are creating drama where it doesn't exist.

Who is "This other Head Coach" that we hired that has failed? since He obviously NOT talking about BB?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Positive Pete

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 19, 2014, 02:12:05 pm

I guess CBB is an exception.  Guess it is better to not have a very productive first year.  That way you can keep selling "we're getting better"  and hope for next few years. 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Positive Pete on October 19, 2014, 04:15:30 pm
I guess CBB is an exception.

Nice that you used this thread as way to dog BB. You might want to check out the Bears first year a time or two............Not exactly great.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Positive Pete

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 19, 2014, 04:17:16 pm
Nice that you used this thread as way to dog BB. You might want to check out the Bears first year a time or two…………Not exactly great.

I was pleased when he was hired.  Yes team is better but success is ultimately ab wins and loses. 

I really could care less about Bear Bryant's first few years.  If he was coached in this era at any school he may not have made to year three or four.  Can't believe I took time to respond to that.

showme

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 19, 2014, 03:55:29 pm
Who is "This other Head Coach" that we hired that has failed? since He obviously NOT talking about BB?
Seriously ??

You really don't understand what he wrote ? This is funny. He didn't say that any COACH has failed. He said that we failed to hire a coach that knew how to turn around a program and ran an innovative offense.

Again the failure was in the hiring of a coach, not a failure by a coach, hired or not.

rzrbackrob

Good is the enemy of great

SavoySeamster

It seems the SEC proves out time and again, that you have to be balanced on both sides of the ball. You can't have a lights out offense and an enemic defense, or vice-versa and expect to make it to Atlanta. Sumlins program is a prime example. Petrinos time here was an example. Both of the MS schools figured that out this year and look at there results. Bama has always been an example of balance, FL in years past, as well as SC. Sumlin will have gaudy numbers, but few, if any trips to Atlanta.
"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes."

UABAlum

October 19, 2014, 05:41:41 pm #47 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 05:53:46 pm by UABAlum
I really could care less about Bear Bryant's first few years.  If he was coached in this era at any school he may not have made to year three or four.  Can't believe I took time to respond to that.

I hope you''re kidding.  When Bryant took over Bama, Bama was one of the worst of all major college teams and Bama was offered a bowl game his first year, which he declined.   He won a national championship with an undefeated team within 4 years.  Heck, the man nearly won a national championship at Kentucky!  His Kentucky team lost the vote in the polls only to beat the national champion in a bowl game.  That was back when final polls werebefore bowl season.

rude1

Quote from: showme on October 19, 2014, 04:42:10 pm
Seriously ??

You really don't understand what he wrote ? This is funny. He didn't say that any COACH has failed. He said that we failed to hire a coach that knew how to turn around a program and ran an innovative offense.

Again the failure was in the hiring of a coach, not a failure by a coach, hired or not.
I think he clearly understands.......Just his way of avoiding what it says.

LZH

Exactly.  I'd love to know why Sumlin not making it at A&M is any different than saying BB won't make it at Arkansas.