Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AP poll

Started by rzrbackrob, October 19, 2014, 01:13:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackrob

In 2011, the SEC had the 1(LSU), 2(Bama), and 3(Hogs) teams in the country and all from the western division.

But for the SEC west to have 4 of the top 5 maybe more impressive.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll
Good is the enemy of great

CallThemHawgs!

That was the beginning of the end of us... I remember those days. Good times.

EastexHawg

How is Texas A&M still receiving one vote?  They aren't just losing, they are being destroyed.  Mississippi State and Ole Miss had them down 48-17 and 35-7 respectively before they called off the dogs and the Aggies got a couple of late sympathy scores.  Alabama just plain annhilated them from start to finish.

They are not a good football team.  Must be an Aggie voting them 25th in his poll. Ridiculous.

chuggs33

We will be back there.  Soon. 

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: rzrbackrob on October 19, 2014, 01:13:12 pm
In 2011, the SEC had the 1(LSU), 2(Bama), and 3(Hogs) teams in the country and all from the western division.

But for the SEC west to have 4 of the top 5 maybe more impressive.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

How is Notre Dame ranked ahead of Georgia, Michigan State and TCU? They lost and only dropped two slots. That's garbage!

pigbacon

I'd say LSU could argue that they should be ranked higher than a couple of 2 loss teams- specifically Clemson being one.

Hogwild

October 19, 2014, 01:39:03 pm #6 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 03:48:35 pm by Hogwild
How is Michigan State ranked ahead of Oregon, the Ducks beat them by 3 touchdowns.

ETA;Should have stated that this is the case in the Coaches Poll

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hogwild on October 19, 2014, 01:39:03 pm
How is Michigan State ranked ahead of Oregon, the Ducks beat them by 3 touchdowns.

Oregon is ranked 6th and Michigan State is number 8 so they are not ranked ahead of them. Why is Notre Dame even still in the top 10. They had to cheat to try to win the game vs FSU and refs were not fooled by the dirty cheating by Notre Dame. They shouldn't be in top 10.

rzrbackrob

First time a conference, much less a division has place 4 in the top 5

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/sec-1st-conference-put-4-top-5-ap-poll

Thirty times since 2001 a conference has had 3 in the top 5.
The SEC has place 3 teams in the top 5, 16 times since 2009.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: rzrbackrob on October 19, 2014, 02:22:56 pm
First time a conference, much less a division has place 4 in the top 5

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/sec-1st-conference-put-4-top-5-ap-poll

Thirty times since 2001 a conference has had 3 in the top 5.
The SEC has place 3 teams in the top 5, 16 times since 2009.

Notre Dame ranked ahead of Georgia, Michigan State and TCU makes no sense. Really? Is the AP that stupid? I guess AP doesn't watch all the teams. Notre Dame is MAYBE a top 15 team

hogcard1964

Since we're improving weekly and we had 15 votes last week after our loss to Alabama, we obviously picked up more votes this week.  So, how many do we have now?

pigbacon

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2014, 02:37:42 pm
Since we're improving weekly and we had 15 votes last week after our loss to Alabama, we obviously picked up more votes this week.  So, how many do we have now?

dhornjr1

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 19, 2014, 02:34:11 pm
Notre Dame ranked ahead of Georgia, Michigan State and TCU makes no sense. Really? Is the AP that stupid? I guess AP doesn't watch all the teams. Notre Dame is MAYBE a top 15 team

It's Notre Dame. They are ranked in perpetuity.

hogcard1964

pigbacon

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2014, 03:01:11 pm
Well this simply can't be true.

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2014, 03:01:11 pm
Well this simply can't be true.

Maybe they could open the poll up online- surely Hogville could fix it!

RockyMtnHog

The 4 from the SEC West still have to play one another except for Ole Miss vs Bama.  The cream will float to the top.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

farmhawg

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on October 19, 2014, 03:10:07 pm
The 4 from the SEC West still have to play one another except for Ole Miss vs Bama.  The cream will float to the top.
Something floated to the top yesterday.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Hogarusa

Why would any of you think that Notre Dame would tumble down the rankings after losing at #2 Florida State in the final seconds?  No way TCU is higher ranked. 
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Hogarusa

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2014, 02:37:42 pm

It was 10 points after the Bama loss and it was by 1 voter who had the Hogs 16th.  He has finally seen the light

Hogwild

Quote from: RockyMtnHog on October 19, 2014, 03:10:07 pm

State already blasted Auburn

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 19, 2014, 03:41:49 pm
Why would any of you think that Notre Dame would tumble down the rankings after losing at #2 Florida State in the final seconds?  No way TCU is higher ranked. 

Notre Dame was lucky to still be in that game. They would be last in the SEC West

Hogarusa

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 19, 2014, 03:51:13 pm
Notre Dame was lucky to still be in that game. They would be last in the SEC West

I love that argument

BorderPatrol

We must have watched different games.

bp

ChicoHog

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 19, 2014, 01:21:37 pm
How is Notre Dame ranked ahead of Georgia, Michigan State and TCU? They lost and only dropped two slots. That's garbage!
Because they lost at FSU on a last second call.  Game was a toss up.  Pretty simple.  How is oregon right ahead of them when they lost at home? 

ChicoHog

I hope you're kidding. You must not have watched that game. It was even all the way.  They are definitely a top ten team as of now. 

Rankings don't matter anyway.  It's just for conversation.  They don't mean a thing.

HiggiePiggy

I don't know about that.  Probably 5th maybe 4th. I think we have 7th secured for this year. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

EastexHawg

Notre Dame was an official's call from beating the team that beat conference champ Auburn...with Tre Mason...in the championship game nine months ago, but they would be last in the SEC West.  That argument makes no sense.

Chestodrawers

Notre Dame is the real deal. And it pains me to say it. But they are good. And FSU has the ability to wake up, turn up the heat, and smoke anybody. Here is my final four, I'm calling it now. Alabama, FSU, Oregon, and Notre Dame.

brenthog

If you went by the true best teams in the country w/o regard to record we would be a top 20 team.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 19, 2014, 07:55:31 pm
Notre Dame was an official's call from beating the team that beat conference champ Auburn...with Tre Mason...in the championship game nine months ago, but they would be last in the SEC West.  That argument makes no sense.

Not to mention, beating a 4-3 Stanford team in the final seconds or a 3-4 North Carolina team.

Hogarusa

If the Hogs werent in the SEC and were top 10 with a 6-1 record, would the fanbase continually say that we dont deserve the ranking because we dont play in the SEC, or claim "if we were in the SEC West we would be last" even though hypothetically we would be competing for a conference title?

That argument is so boring and tired.  It doesnt matter.  You win with the schedule you have

hogcard1964

Quote from: Chestodrawers on October 19, 2014, 09:15:49 pm
     Notre Dame is the real deal. And it pains me to say it. But they are good. And FSU has the ability to wake up, turn up the heat, and smoke anybody. Here is my final four, I'm calling it now. Alabama, FSU, Oregon, and Notre Dame.

Interesting, but I don't think Dame is there.  They have another loss in them to either USC or Arizona St.

I could see:

Alabama
FSU
Oregon
Michigan St.

hei5manhog

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on October 19, 2014, 02:57:01 pm
It's Notre Dame. They are ranked in perpetuity.

They lost by 4 on the road, UGA lost to a down South carolina. They deserve to be where they are. It's splitting hairs 6-10. An agrument could be made for any of those teams to be a spot or two up or down
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Fatty McGee

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 19, 2014, 02:34:11 pm

Notre Dame's only loss is by a questionable call against the #2 team in the country.  TCU's loss is to a lower ranked team, Georgia's loss is to an unranked team, and MSU's loss is to a lower ranked team.  And only TCU's was as close as ND's loss. 

So really, it makes perfect sense.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: hei5manhog on October 20, 2014, 09:59:02 am
They lost by 4 on the road, UGA lost to a down South carolina. They deserve to be where they are. It's splitting hairs 6-10. An agrument could be made for any of those teams to be a spot or two up or down

Notre Dame gave up almost 50 points to N. Carolina. Losing to FSU in a close game doesn't tell much because Florida State has been limping along all year. Looking at the current AP poll, Notre Dame should be ranked 14th. Right behind Ohio State.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

rzrbackrob

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 20, 2014, 09:36:47 am
If the Hogs werent in the SEC and were top 10 with a 6-1 record, would the fanbase continually say that we dont deserve the ranking because we dont play in the SEC, or claim "if we were in the SEC West we would be last" even though hypothetically we would be competing for a conference title?

That argument is so boring and tired.  It doesnt matter.  You win with the schedule you have

But the Hogs are in the SEC.
in a division that has 4 teams ranked in the top 5.

It is easy for the Notre Dame, Big 12-2-2+2, and FSU apologist to discount toughness of schedule, but it is real and running up a bunch of wins against teams outside the best teams is relatively meaningless.
Just look to the Notre Dame team that went up against Bama in the BCS national championship game.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: John Quincy Poodle on October 19, 2014, 01:14:57 pm
That was the beginning of the end of us... I remember those days. Good times.

Yup there were good, too bad someone traded them for a blonde.

demonHOG1013

Auburn lost to current #1, Notre Dame lost to current #2, Alabama lost to current #3.  Those are the "best" losses of 1-loss teams. Also K-State lost to Auburn, they should be ranked higher than they are.

hogcard1964

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on October 20, 2014, 11:04:57 am
Auburn lost to current #1, Notre Dame lost to current #2, Alabama lost to current #3.  Those are the "best" losses of 1-loss teams. Also K-State lost to Auburn, they should be ranked higher than they are.

Kansas St. is in fact, a very good team.

Hogarusa

Quote from: rzrbackrob on October 20, 2014, 10:36:41 am
But the Hogs are in the SEC.
in a division that has 4 teams ranked in the top 5.

It is easy for the Notre Dame, Big 12-2-2+2, and FSU apologist to discount toughness of schedule, but it is real and running up a bunch of wins against teams outside the best teams is relatively meaningless.
Just look to the Notre Dame team that went up against Bama in the BCS national championship game.

So what you are saying is, yes you would be saying the Hogs were overrated if they were the top dog in another conference and a top 10 team. 

rzrbackrob

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 20, 2014, 11:38:02 am
So what you are saying is, yes you would be saying the Hogs were overrated if they were the top dog in another conference and a top 10 team. 

In your hypothetical scenario, if I'm allowed to bring my experience of the Hogs in the SWC vs the SEC, then yes, I would never feel confident the Hogs rolling up wins vs the big 12-2-2+2 teams would translate into the ability to beat the SEC at the end of the championship road.

This is why coaches like big game Bob are constantly talking about the SEC.

jbcarol

Ralph D. Russo @ralphDrussoAP  ·  24h 24 hours ago
#SECbias We took look. Here's what we found.  http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/sec-dominates-rankings-calls-secbias-rise ...

QuoteDuck fans in Oregon and Buckeye backers in Ohio are united. Seminoles in the Florida panhandle and Sooners in the Oklahoma panhandle are rallying around a common cause.

As the Southeastern Conference was trending last weekend after becoming the first league to hold four of the top five spots in the AP Top 25, fans of other conferences had an angry response: #SECBias.

The conference that won seven of the last eight BCS championships has many fans exasperated with media coverage they feel has created an unbeatable-SEC narrative. The fear is it will lead to the first College Football Playoff being overrun by one conference.

"AP hard at work to make sure first playoff has 4 SEC teams. #SECbias," posted to Twitter by @jAwhatley2.

Regional favoritism doesn't seem to be an issue. All Ohio voters have at least three SEC teams in the top five. Two of them have four. California voters all have at least three SEC teams in the top five, including one with four.

Jerry Palm of CBS.com, who spent years analyzing the college football polls while breaking down the Bowl Championship Series standings, said he hasn't noticed an SEC bias.

"Right now the name programs are in the SEC because they've been on a really good roll the last 10 years," he said Monday. "Preseason is where I see the bias. By the time you get to the middle part of the season, most of that stuff has worked itself out."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: jbcarol on October 22, 2014, 05:11:07 pm
Ralph D. Russo @ralphDrussoAP  ·  24h 24 hours ago
#SECbias We took look. Here's what we found.  http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/sec-dominates-rankings-calls-secbias-rise

Their tears are delicious.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Tripod1

Quote from: Fatty McGee on October 20, 2014, 10:05:48 am
Notre Dame's only loss is by a questionable call against the #2 team in the country.  TCU's loss is to a lower ranked team, Georgia's loss is to an unranked team, and MSU's loss is to a lower ranked team.  And only TCU's was as close as ND's loss. 

So really, it makes perfect sense.
Nothing questionable about that call.  It was illegal pick all the way and just because it was called late in the game doesn't mean a thing.  If we want to go by the old saying "officials shouldn't make that call that late in the game" then I propose with 2 minutes to go in a game that the officials leave the field and let the teams really decide the game.

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info @ESPNStatsInfo  ·  35 minutes ago
Arkansas is the 1st team in AP Poll history to face top-10 opponents in 5 straight conference games.

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger @DellengerAdv  ·  8h 8 hours ago
My AP top 10:
1. Mississippi St
2. Florida St
3. AU
4. Bama
5. Kansas St
6. Oregon
7. ND
8. Michigan St
9. Baylor
10. TCU
#LSU to #14

jbcarol

Ralph D. Russo @ralphDrussoAP  ·  14 hours ago
Question: What is the difference between a close win against Arkansas at home and rallying to beat Louisville on road? Discuss.

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  1h 1 hour ago
My AP top 25 ballot this week. Lots of shuffling.
http://www.macon.com/2014/11/02/3398982/this-weeks-ap-top-25-ballot-a.html ...

1. State
2. Auburn
4. Bama
13. LSU
14. Ole Miss
20. Georgia

QuoteA few explanations:

- Georgia now has two bad losses: South Carolina is under .500, and Florida is only one game above. Plus it wasn't close against the Gators. The Bulldogs only remain in the poll because of the win over Clemson, and a couple other good road victories (at Missouri and Arkansas.) A win next week at Kentucky probably won't do much for the Bulldogs' rankings, so it will take beating Auburn in two weeks.

- Auburn leapfrogs Florida State, as the Tigers simply have a better resume' right now.

- I didn't want to be too harsh on Ole Miss, which after all beat Alabama. But the teams it is now behind - the one-loss consortium of teams from other high-major conferences - have enough quality wins, and lack of bad losses, to be there.

- That said, there is a big dropoff after Alabama, with those one-loss teams that arguably could be in any order. Oregon is No. 5 because it owns two wins over top 25 teams. There aren't a huge amount of quality wins among the rest of the group. Even Notre Dame, which arguably has the best quality loss, close at Florida State, doesn't own a win over a currently ranked top 25 team. Baylor, TCU, Michigan State and Arizona State do. (And by the way, but currently ranked top 25 team, I mean my poll. I'm arrogant like that.)