Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hog fans

Started by Piggfoot, October 19, 2014, 11:24:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Piggfoot

Without doubt are the most gullible and ill informed fans imaginable. We as fans hear what we wish to hear when listening to the constant promotion of Razorback sports by news reporters. Most of their  reporting is not fact but opinion. They are promoting themselves as well as the hogs and they know it is suicide to report anything that is not glowingly positive about the Hogs.

We are constantly feed overrated evaluations about the ability of Arkansas football talent. Why?
Because that is all they know or see. History should tell fans to take their evaluations with a grain of salt.

Our fans are deluded into thinking that recruit ratings are meaningless. Hogwash. The nationally ranked teams have the highest rated recruits. Of course the systems miss on a few kids but overall the final team rating come very close to predicting the contenders.

Arkansas fans need to adopt the Missouri slogan, " Show me." 
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Torqued pork

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 19, 2014, 11:24:33 am
Without doubt are the most gullible and ill informed fans imaginable. We as fans hear what we wish to hear when listening to the constant promotion of Razorback sports by news reporters. Most of their  reporting is not fact but opinion. They are promoting themselves as well as the hogs and they know it is suicide to report anything that is not glowingly positive about the Hogs.

We are constantly feed overrated evaluations about the ability of Arkansas football talent. Why?
Because that is all they know or see. History should tell fans to take their evaluations with a grain of salt.

Our fans are deluded into thinking that recruit ratings are meaningless. Hogwash. The nationally ranked teams have the highest rated recruits. Of course the systems miss on a few kids but overall the final team rating come very close to predicting the contenders.

I pretty much agree and it's why I rarely read the recruiting forum where even the most vanilla recruits are called a "beast" or a "big get" by somebody.

eusebius

Every team is a national champion twice a year: on national signing day and whenever those ridiculous hype videos come out. Case in point, even Nicholls St had a hype video.   
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

redeye

The #1 team in the nation most certainly does not have the "highest rated recruits".

hawkhawg

Without doubt are the most gullible and ill informed fans imaginable.

How are we any different than every other fan base.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hawkhawg on October 19, 2014, 12:35:11 pm
How are we any different than every other fan base.

We aren't. We just keep up with our fan base more than we keep up with other teams fan bases.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Torqued pork

Quote from: redeye on October 19, 2014, 12:31:31 pm
The #1 team in the nation most certainly does not have the "highest rated recruits".
How often have we seen MSU in the top half of the SEC much less ranked #1?

goneal

Its been this way since the mid-60's. Its a one team state and everyone is in the network. Just the way it is. Shame on the fanbase for swallowing it year after year though. Only the fans excuses have evolved. In the 60's it was "hey, we have to play Texas every year". In the 70's the famous "hey, you just can't recruit to Fayetteville, Ar" made its appearance. In the 80's it was "hey, we get great coaches here and when they're successful, Broyles feels threatened and runs them off". And finally, in the 90's came the cure all excuse "hey, we're in the SEC, we're not supposed to beat these guys."
To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.

showme

Exactly. That's why I laugh at some of the comments by the local media about these local players. If they were to spend a few years in Dallas or Miami or some other hotbed of talent and get to see some real talent on an every day basis, they would realize what they currently think is an SEC player is not even close to what one really is.

redeye

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 19, 2014, 12:43:11 pm
How often have we seen MSU in the top half of the SEC much less ranked #1?

Not much, but it is an example that recruiting services are not everything.  It goes without saying that the best teams have the best players, but that doesn't mean recruiting services always identify those players.

My real problem with this topic is that everyone wants the best players, and for the most part, the highest rated players they can get.  So, why do so many of our fans believe we're any different?  For the most part, teams don't get more then their fair share of highly rated players because they desire them more, or they worked harder to get them, but because those players grew up as fans of that school.  So, unless we move the University of Arkansas to an area with a lot of great players, it's unlikely that we'll ever be a big dog in team rankings.

Having said that, we'd still fall within the top 3-4 of every conference outside of the Southeast, so we're not as bad in recruiting as our fans think.  MSU is #1 because Mullen has been building depth there for years.  Unlike Saban at Alabama, he can't just plug in ready-to-play high school players every year and the same goes for Arkansas or Oregon.  But we can build depth the old-fashion way and compete with teams that have recruiting advantages due to their location.

showme

Quote from: redeye on October 19, 2014, 01:38:28 pm
Not much, but it is an example that recruiting services are not everything.  It goes without saying that the best teams have the best players, but that doesn't mean recruiting services always identify those players.

My real problem with this topic is that everyone wants the best players, and for the most part, the highest rated players they can get.  So, why do so many of our fans believe we're any different?  For the most part, teams don't get more then their fair share of highly rated players because they desire them more, or they worked harder to get them, but because those players grew up as fans of that school.  So, unless we move the University of Arkansas to an area with a lot of great players, it's unlikely that we'll ever be a big dog in team rankings.

Having said that, we'd still fall within the top 3-4 of every conference outside of the Southeast, so we're not as bad in recruiting as our fans think.  MSU is #1 because Mullen has been building depth there for years.  Unlike Saban at Alabama, he can't just plug in ready-to-play high school players every year and the same goes for Arkansas or Oregon.  But we can build depth the old-fashion way and compete with teams that have recruiting advantages due to their location.
You can overcome lack of recruiting rankings IF you win the recruiting battles at one key position. QB. That is what has happened to Miss St. They have always recruited pretty well on defense and skill positions but now, they finally recruited them a real good QB and guess what ............................... they are winning.

Go figure, QB is the most important position on the team and they have the best one in the conference and they are ranked as the best team in the conference. Some here however refuse to believe that and continue to think that we can win with Allen as our QB. smh.

hobhog

No. "Hog fans" go to the games and fill stadiums and cheer loudly for a team that has struggled for 3 years. Trying to help turn things around.

Bitter Hog "message board posters" go online after losses and say Hog fans are idiots, the administration are idiots, and the coaches are idiots.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: redeye on October 19, 2014, 12:31:31 pm
No but they have a very good QB that can throw and run and some WRs that can catch the ball

impact

Watch out!  The GOBN is a comin.... posts will be next.
Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

BrianWPS!!

Not sure if this is blaming he fans or the media for filling our heads withs sunshine when the product is obviously not there.

jkstock04

Pretty much spot on. It's sad to see the way this has unfolded..there was a lot of hype put into this Georgia game. I'm still having trouble seeing how this was supposed to be an easy win for us. We got absolutely dominated on the LOS which is supposed to be our strongpoint.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

chuggs33

The fact is, like it or not, we are a much improved team from a year ago.  So the W's aren't showing up yet...I know it sucks...but guess what...they will show up.  They will.

chuggs33

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2014, 02:52:35 pm
Pretty much spot on. It's sad to see the way this has unfolded..there was a lot of hype put into this Georgia game. I'm still having trouble seeing how this was supposed to be an easy win for us. We got absolutely dominated on the LOS which is supposed to be our strongpoint.
I am guilty of thinking we would win by three scores.  I was dead wrong.  I based this off how we have played so far this year and thinking it would finally come together AND how Georgia played in the Tennessee game.  They looked VERY beatable in that game.  Plus, I just don't think Mizzou is all that good. 

Bubba's Bruisers

We are a desperate, uneducated fan base who, for the most part, believes things occur in a vacuum. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

redeye

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 19, 2014, 02:52:35 pm

Georgia is a very good team and the predictions coming into the game were just dumb.  Even the Vegas line was much closer then it should have been.  Blame analysts and gamblers for that idiocy, because the end result wasn't really anything unexpected, with the possible exception of the annihilation in the 1st half.