Previous topic - Next topic

Should Jum Chaney be fired?

Yes
89 (54.3%)
No
75 (45.7%)

Total Members Voted: 158

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

popcornhog

Quote from: seasonhog on October 19, 2014, 01:37:54 pm

If you like a 5 to 8 win season team.........then maybe he is your man......his philosophy will not do any better then that. All the sec team have already figured out how to stop him.

Your hope is maybe he will see the light.

If he can't win more than 5-8 games per year then it don't want him here.

But from my vantage point, he's one the BIG 3x. It's nowhere near the SEC, but he's won it 3x. Good coaches with BIG backgrounds who had less success in the BIG have won the SEC.

I like what he's done on the recruiting trail and I really enjoy his style of football. I also think that improvements have been obvious in year two. If the recruiting and personnel continue to improve at the rate that they have so far, I think he wins the SEC at Arkansas. 
WPS

Oklahawg

Quote from: LJHOG on October 19, 2014, 10:47:50 am
let's see.  he has Casey Dick 2.0 at QB.  Sun Belt quality WR's. An O-line that can't pass block por chit and doesn't dominate good SEC D lines in the run game.
What would you have the man do?  From here to the end of the season a good day for our offense will be if we can score more for us than for them.

Damn fine post.

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 19, 2014, 01:59:35 pm
Wise words.

And this is laughable....I mean High hysterics.....

PRJ

Melorock089

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 19, 2014, 01:21:43 pm
Every playcall goes through Brets headset and every playcall is signed off by Bret. His words, not mine....

It isn't Jim Chaneys fault.

PRJ

That's not calling the play.

Bret would be the first to tell you he isn't the OC.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Oklahawg on October 19, 2014, 02:00:23 pm
Damn fine post.

And what did Casey Dick do under his first year under Petrino?

Keep defending the indefensible...

And again, When can I expect the playbook to be fully implemented Okla?

PRJ

popcornhog

Quote from: HF#1 on October 19, 2014, 01:43:14 pm
So if you fire Chaney and the players still make dumb mistakes and fail to execute? 

Chaney isn't the problem.

I think you have a good point.

That being said -- when we continue to have the same problems with certain types of plays with the current personnel, I have to scratch my head.

I readily admit that I may just be overreacting to extreme frustration.
WPS

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Melorock089 on October 19, 2014, 02:01:57 pm
That's not calling the play.

Bret would be the first to tell you he isn't the OC.

Again....laughable

PRJ

gawntrail

Play calling is predictable.  Also doesn't mesh well with down&distance AND game situation.  Very Dump Truck.

I like play calling from the sideline.  You get a much better read on the situation when you look the kids in the eyes.  Calling from the booth I get.... I just think you are too detached. 

I also think the OC needs to be looking the QB in the face when coaching.  Too often you get massaged feedback when you can't look them in the eyes.  I'd like to see a camera on/in the QB's helmet so you can see what he sees and figure out what the heck he is looking at.  I can guarantee BA doesn't really understand what he does see and isn't sure what to look for. 

Camera on/in the helmet during practice AND OC on the field during games would help both tremendously.

chuggs33

I get frustrated with Coach C almost every game, but I don't think he should be fired yet.  The reason I say this is because in almost every college game I watch I question the OC's.  They all seem to have the same mindset it seems. 

HF#1

Quote from: popcornhog on October 19, 2014, 02:03:14 pm
I think you have a good point.

That being said -- when we continue to have the same problems with certain types of plays with the current personnel, I have to scratch my head.

I readily admit that I may just be overreacting to extreme frustration.

We have seen flashes of what this team can be.  Is it really surprising that we have problems doing it consistently in year two of a rebuild?  I mean, folks just don't understand the process. To be this disgruntled so early in the process is just stupid. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

chuggs33

I tend to think that Chaney gives up on the power run game a bit quick.  Seems to me that a team built to wear down a defense shouldn't give up on it so easily.  However, I'm not sure out current depth allows us to.

Melorock089

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 19, 2014, 02:03:34 pm
Again....laughable

PRJ

I'm laughing at you. Really am. Because you think it IS the same thing. Bielema =/= Petrino.

I imagine it was the same when Paul Chryst was calling plays when Wisconsin was averaging more points than Petrino in his best years.

Just admit you reach in your criticism of Bielema. I agree though if the offense doesn't get fixed, then he deserves heat.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Melorock089 on October 19, 2014, 02:10:55 pm
I'm laughing at you. Really am. Because you think it IS the same thing. Bielema =/= Petrino.

I imagine it was the same when Paul Chryst was calling plays when Wisconsin was averaging more points than Petrino in his best years.

Just admit you reach in your criticism of Bielema. I agree though if the offense doesn't get fixed, then he deserves heat.

How about out Stupid, undisciplined play? Am I overreaching there? Is that not on Bret?

PRJ

Großer Kriegschwein

Undisciplined play is not completely on the head coach. Much of it is the person committing the infraction. A coach can be part of that problem, but in this case I don't really think it applies as much (Tevin & Braylon Mitchell anyway)
This is my non-signature signature.

Melorock089

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 19, 2014, 02:17:21 pm
How about out Stupid, undisciplined play? Am I overreaching there? Is that not on Bret?

PRJ

Yes. I never defended him on that point.

I just get the sense you feel the offensive woes is more on Bielema than on Chaney. I don't understand that.

The players are more to blame than Chaney or Bielema in my opinion.

popcornhog

Quote from: HF#1 on October 19, 2014, 02:07:17 pm
We have seen flashes of what this team can be.  Is it really surprising that we have problems doing it consistently in year two of a rebuild?  I mean, folks just don't understand the process. To be this disgruntled so early in the process is just stupid.

I think you may be missing my point. I believe that CBB is building a winner. I've said time and again that his recruiting, coaching style, and track record lead me to believe that he will win the SEC at Arkansas.

I have a couple of specific concerns with our OC though. I'd love to be proven wrong about Chaney but the 2nd half play calling and continuous toss plays baffle me. That's all.

Saying that he should be fired may admittedly be a knee jerk reaction to extreme frustration.
WPS

Mark Martin Fan

The offense scored 5 touchdowns yesterday...that should be enough to win the game.  We should have scored 24 against Alabama...A&M scored 0 against Bama.  Chaney did a good job yesterday...but we can't turn the ball over 4 times.  We need to execute better...the execution is on the players and coaches.   If we hold on to the ball against Alabama we win.  If we don't turn it over tomorrow...we win the game. 
We need to win the turnover margin...until we start winning the turnover margin we won't win in the SEC. 
Hog Fan for Life!!!!

Kevin

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on October 19, 2014, 12:41:38 pm
And if those "questionable" calls worked you and those like you would be singing his praise.  There's a reason Chaney is making a lot of money calling plays for a high-level Division 1 College and you aren't and if you are objective and try really, really hard you might swerve into the right answer. 

I would not have agree with the qb draw no matter the result
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

moses_007

His W-L record as an offensive coordinator tells the story about Cheney.  Bielema clearly needs to find an OC that has a great offensive mind.  Cheney has had a record of losing, both here and at Tennessee.