Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Play the percentages on fielding and returning kicks

Started by verticalhog, October 19, 2014, 09:40:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

verticalhog

This is NOT just the Hogs' problem.  I see it over and over (even in the FSU/Notre Dame game last night).  When there is a touchback on a kickoff, you get the ball on the 25 yard line.  It is common sense to take the touchback since most returns are stopped inside the 25, often inside the 20.  It even makes sense to let the ball hit close to the goal line and bounce through or out of the endzone so you can start at the 25.

Now, on fielding punts: Sometimes it works out great to have a fast player with some good moves returning punts BUT when you don't catch punts and allow the roll, you will lose far more on the roll than you would have gained by fielding the punt with a "great returner" who is prone to dropping punts.  I feel the route to take is to find the player on the team with the best hands (even if it's a walk on) and tell them to catch the ball, even if it's always a fair catch or a very short return.

Pulled(PP)pork

I can't imagine the fear the punt returners experience when unable to see how many people are barreling down on them, while looking in the sky at the ball

PP