Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Arkansas ever have depth???

Started by BartIV, October 19, 2014, 08:56:35 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BartIV

CBB has the problem that all Arkansas coaches have had, having depth. Until we can fix this, we will always be a step behind Alabama,  LSU, Auburn. These three will always have depth. We are in the same boat with the rest of the SEC West. You will have that one or two  good seasons because all of the pieces are in place, (Miss State perfect example) but the next year is all rebuilding again.
We won't see that "good" season until year four. Its is a garbage fire that CBB has been trying to put out since it started.  I get concerned with if he can take the pressure or the time its going to take to fix.
i think he saw the success that BP had and though a foundation was established. But it was a foundation built on a swamp.

hogcard1964

Stop

Win football games, get us to a bowl this season, and then make your argument for allowing this coaching staff to return next season.

BartIV

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2014, 09:01:41 am
Stop

Win football games, get us to a bowl this season, and then make your argument for allowing this coaching staff to return next season.
I actually believe at some point CBB will tuck tail and run somewhere else, with Jeff Long hanging on his coattails.
I am making more of a case that Arkansas will never have depth and have to find a coach that revolutionizes the game for Arkansas to compete.  Hate to say it but a Gus or as we saw a Bobby P.
Running a the basic game plan ain't going to cut it for Arkansas.  No depth.

Dr. Starcs

You'd think with the way everyone in this state thinks high school football is so great, we'd produce much better in-state talent.

Fact is, all the good old boys who thinks their sons are the greatest players, pretty much suck as far as being able to compete with the other sec states.

Rant over. Lol

Shoat

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 19, 2014, 10:27:15 am
You'd think with the way everyone in this state thinks high school football is so great, we'd produce much better in-state talent.

Fact is, all the good old boys who thinks their sons are the greatest players, pretty much suck as far as being able to compete with the other sec states.

Rant over. Lol

Like the Allen Boys?  We don't now nor ever needed both of them up there!  Kinda like Derby being a QB last year simply because he was the son of Coach B's buddy. Derby has proven that he is obviously is a much superior TE similar to the way that poor BA has shown that he's limited as a QB.  He's tough as nails and tries hard but yesterday's game illustrated how he does not have the confidence to make the throws that are "open for the SEC" as the commentator showed us. We'll never be successful until we move towards actual, real evaluations of players without regard to where they're from or who they're related to.  If that was going on, we would have seen a difference in QB depth charts last year and this year IMO

wachhog

Quote from: BartIV on October 19, 2014, 09:08:55 am
I actually believe at some point CBB will tuck tail and run somewhere else, with Jeff Long hanging on his coattails.
I am making more of a case that Arkansas will never have depth and have to find a coach that revolutionizes the game for Arkansas to compete.  Hate to say it but a Gus or as we saw a Bobby P.
The sooner, the better.

wachhog

Quote from: Shoat on October 19, 2014, 11:14:05 am
Like the Allen Boys?  We don't now nor ever needed both of them up there!  Kinda like Derby being a QB last year simply because he was the son of Coach B's buddy. Derby has proven that he is obviously is a much superior TE similar to the way that poor BA has shown that he's limited as a QB.  He's tough as nails and tries hard but yesterday's game illustrated how he does not have the confidence to make the throws that are "open for the SEC" as the commentator showed us. We'll never be successful until we move towards actual, real evaluations of players without regard to where they're from or who they're related to.  If that was going on, we would have seen a difference in QB depth charts last year and this year IMO
I would bet that BP could have made both look good. We will never be successful until we moved toward an AD who can actually do a real evaluation of coaches in terms of where they will be, the competition they will face and the recruiting challenges they must overcome. Hiring BB to coach at Arkansas was like GoPro hiring the head of Microsoft to take it public.

Jek Tono Porkins

Since 1998, we haven't had a coach that had put an emphasis on recruiting. That's been the main problem. It was always a paper-thin patchwork of a team.

Bielema is recruiting Arkansas's best recruiting class since they started doing recruiting rankings. And that's without an SEC win.

Makes me wonder how good recruiting will be when we start winning.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 19, 2014, 11:23:47 am
Since 1998, we haven't had a coach that had put an emphasis on recruiting. That's been the main problem. It was always a paper-thin patchwork of a team.

Bielema is recruiting Arkansas's best recruiting class since they started doing recruiting rankings. And that's without an SEC win.

^^^^^This

hobhog

Quote from: BartIV on October 19, 2014, 09:08:55 am

You're right. We will never ever have depth. Ever. Not possible here. And Coach B and Long are going to sneak out in middle of the night. May even roll your yard on way out. I actually believe this.

BartIV

Quote from: hobhog on October 19, 2014, 11:39:20 am
You're right. We will never ever have depth. Ever. Not possible here. And Coach B and Long are going to sneak out in middle of the night. May even roll your yard on way out. I actually believe this.
well that would be another bad PR move on their part. Might as well keep it up.

Redhogs

Quote from: Jek Tono Porkins on October 19, 2014, 11:23:47 am

Let us know when the winning starts....
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: hobhog on October 19, 2014, 11:39:20 am
Yep...when teams like OM and MS can do it, Arkansas is out of excuses. The Big 10 experiment is failing miserably.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

BartIV

The_Bionic_Pig

How is it possible to have depth when you've signed exactly (1) recruiting class?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 19, 2014, 09:01:41 am
Stop

Unfortunately for you and a lot of people that want to win right this second. BB isn't going anywhere unless YOU have 12.8 million to give up for his buyout (which runs thru next season). Whether he'll survive the season or not isn't the question that should be asked. The questions should be:

1) Will we add depth and speed in this recruiting class?
2) Will we change the philosophy to meet the immediate goal of winning?
3) In order to meet a change in philosophy, will we change any coordinators or position coaches?
4) Will we move on from some of our players that are making it difficult to win?

The rest is hypothetical:

If we draw another goose egg in the SEC next season, I will consider this a complete and total failure. If we lay an egg this season then winning conference games becomes the absolute most critical thing to keeping a job

We do it again next year, current staff becomes marked men in the athletic department for when we can afford the buyout in season 4. Now going undefeated in conference play during season 4 would be awesome, but after 3 years of zeroes, I don't think it would matter too much.
This is my non-signature signature.