Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We Must Stick To The Run To Be Successful, Plain & Simple!

Started by Youngsta71701, October 19, 2014, 07:16:40 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 3kgthog on October 19, 2014, 12:15:31 pm
Interesting considering the short pass got us back in the game yesterday. We've wondered why those slants and other routes hadn't been used.

Though you and I usually have a different opinion, I agree that I have to wonder where those patterns have been all year and why we needed to wait until now to see them.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 19, 2014, 12:17:14 pm
They never removed their starters. If you want to get into their heads and their mental state in the second half, I guess you will need to talk to their players and defensive staff. Otherwise, you are guessing.

It's human nature. They took they're foot off the pedal in the second half. They weren't as aggressive with defensive or offensive scheme in the second half.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 19, 2014, 12:21:34 pm
It's human nature. They took they're foot off the pedal in the second half. They weren't as aggressive with defensive or offensive scheme in the second half.

Like I said amigo, you have your opinion so have it your way. Believe what you want. You think that continuing to run the ball would have brought us greater success. I disagree, but you have your opinion, so o.k. Seems like you have a consistent opposing point of view no matter what I say and that is again, OK, it is your opinion. Doesn't make it right, anymore than mine makes me right. But we both believe in what we are saying, so just let it be that.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 19, 2014, 12:27:27 pm
Like I said amigo, you have your opinion so have it your way. Believe what you want. You think that continuing to run the ball would have brought us greater success. I disagree, but you have your opinion, so o.k. Seems like you have a consistent opposing point of view no matter what I say and that is again, OK, it is your opinion. Doesn't make it right, anymore than mine makes me right. But we both believe in what we are saying, so just let it be that.

Ok, cool. That's what makes these boards so interesting. The differences in opinions and philosophies. I just don't trust our passing game at this point. It's like I know eventually something bad is going to happen if we rely on it too much. No matter how much good has happened up to that point. And most of the time its a fumble or and interception that totally changes the momentum in the game.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 19, 2014, 12:34:10 pm
Says a Band Nerd named Youngsta. We quit running because Collins has fumbled inside our own 20 twice in two weeks. You hear me band nerd. That's why.

Was J. Will not toting the rock well. Look at his numbers sir! Just because you've been on Hogville.net longer than me doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. You hear me old timer!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 19, 2014, 12:40:46 pm
BandNerdYoungsta, Why is Collins not playing like a 5 star recruit? He has a tendency to have big fumbles that result in scores. I was not upset with the passing gameand when you down by 32 then no point to run the ball. Even though JWill looked good.

No, not at all. No reason to run the ball a lot when your down 38-6 in the second half but you can sneak a draw in every once in a while. Did Alex Collins not score on a draw play in the second half? Alex Collins has been shook up every since he got suspended for the 1st quarter in the Alabama game. Just has to play ball and stop trying to do too much.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on October 19, 2014, 12:35:31 pm
Was J. Will not toting the rock well. Look at his numbers sir! Just because you've been on Hogville.net longer than me doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about. You hear me old timer!

Got to have more than a singular RB if that is what you are going to hang your hat on and what is more, a dominant O-Line. We just aren't getting it done.
Go Hogs Go!

Youngsta71701

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 19, 2014, 12:49:05 pm
Got to have more than a singular RB if that is what you are going to hang your hat on and what is more, a dominant O-Line. We just aren't getting it done.

Yep, that o-line and Collins have to step their game back up then in return that will set up the play-action pass.

redeye

JBoroHog

This is what I think I saw. Our running game is based on a fairly deep handoff to our back who hesitates as he looks to pick up a crease from our road graders. This is our normal run game and it worked in the first (impressive) drive. After that, UGA made a brilliant tactical change. They started crashing down from the end with ends, OLB's or corners. They could trip up outback before he hesitated and found his crease. After that, we countered the rest of the game with the quick tosses to our backs. Not sure that is our game and it's questionable how well it worked. But there was some good point-counterpoint stuff going on between the opposing coordinators.

LSPRazorbac

You got to be able to hit the hot routes and seams passing to make the defense play honest.

We can't just continually run into the teeth of the defense...last year showed us that.

Right know we aren't hitting those passes when the pressure is on.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: redeye on October 19, 2014, 01:07:40 pm
You're exactly right Youngsta.

Gotta have a more effective passing game to give the run game an opportunity and that is where the play-action, quick inside or outside dump offs play an enormous role in backing off the 8 in the box pressure. If you aren't effective with those, you are going to see more folks lined up on the inside on defense that outnumbers those you have blocking in the run game.
Go Hogs Go!

Josh Goforth

Other than the back to back sacks on the second drive Arkansas did not abandon the run in the first half. The very next drive they came back with Collins in one back 2 te sets and Georgia stuffed them.

Youngsta71701

Listen to this round table discussion. Bo Mattingly says the same thing I'm saying about sticking to the running game. It might sound better coming from him.

http://www.nwahomepage.com/story/d/story/razorback-roundtable-discussion-10-19-14/24044/cw18ly3aDkWs_sJsaCoZzg