Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why blame Brandon Allen?

Started by hogcam, October 19, 2014, 01:51:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sowmonella

Yesterdays game was lost because:
1. O- line was dominated by their D-line.
2. D-line was dominated by their O-line.
3. Lack of depth at LB.
4. Mental errors

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hogfan10

Quote from: theenemy on October 19, 2014, 10:20:09 am
Brandon Allen is the type that will always keep it close but never find the way to win.

When the game is tight, he is always gonna make those handful of mistakes (fumbled snap, taking big sacks, fumbling the ball on snaps, interception, missing wide open receivers) that keeps us from winning.

Under stress, he panics and shuts down.  Defensive coordinators know this.  All defenses have to do is load the box and sell out on the run.  While doing that rush 5-6 players on passes.  D Coordinators play the averages that BA will not make the play and sooner or later make a few mistakes that are detrimental.

3 fumbles yesterday (not counting the pitch) one returned for a td and 2 interceptions.  Missed wide open receivers and poor throws off his back foot.....that is what defenses are relying on.

How can you blame Allen for Collins dropping a pitch that hit him in the chest. Defenses can blitz Allen because our receivers aren't capable of getting open.

Chuck Beavers

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 19, 2014, 10:17:07 am
I wonder how much football you watch. When's the last time you saw P. Manning pulled after an interception. RBs/WRs/Etc are positions that are played by multiple players, and can be substituted for the hot hand, no so much at QB.

If Peyton Manning was 0-13 in SEC play he would have been pulled. Brandon Allen is no Peyton Manning.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: theenemy on October 19, 2014, 10:20:09 am
Brandon Allen is the type that will always keep it close but never find the way to win.

When the game is tight, he is always gonna make those handful of mistakes (fumbled snap, taking big sacks, fumbling the ball on snaps, interception, missing wide open receivers) that keeps us from winning.

Under stress, he panics and shuts down.  Defensive coordinators know this.  All defenses have to do is load the box and sell out on the run.  While doing that rush 5-6 players on passes.  D Coordinators play the averages that BA will not make the play and sooner or later make a few mistakes that are detrimental.

3 fumbles yesterday (not counting the pitch) one returned for a td and 2 interceptions.  Missed wide open receivers and poor throws off his back foot.....that is what defenses are relying on.

Man, that's harsh.. true, but harsh... you do have to say he plays as hard as he can and he's doing the best that he can on every play... and, according to the coaches opinion, is the best we have... WPS  :razorback:

goneal

All else aside, look at previous 5 games. Most everybody played badly yesterday, including BA. However, he was 60% yesterday. The games that we should have won earlier this season, he was barely over 50%. So yes, the o line, linebackers and secondary played badly yesterday, but they were due for a bad one. The best you can say about Allen is he is consistantly mediocre.
To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.

Kevin

piling up stats when the score is 38-6, is meaningless
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 19, 2014, 10:31:33 am
How can you blame Allen for Collins dropping a pitch that hit him in the chest. Defenses can blitz Allen because our receivers aren't capable of getting open.

Where did I blame Allen for the pitch?  Collins should of caught that.  (I actually hate those pitches on dive plays and blame Chaney for that crap)

I was pointing out Allen had 3 fumbles all on his own.

And receivers are open.

The problem is BA typically waits until they are 3-4 steps or more out of their cut before throwing it.

Late passes make the receivers look like they are covered tighter than what they really are.

showme

Quote from: theenemy on October 19, 2014, 10:56:36 am
And receivers are open.

The problem is BA typically waits until they are 3-4 steps or more out of their cut before throwing it.

Late passes make the receivers look like they are covered tighter than what they really are.
Exactly.

The football term is "Throwing people open" which basically means that a good QB will throw the ball BEFORE the WR makes his break. Allen doesn't do that. He waits until the break is already made and generally speaking that is too late.

He waits too late because he lacks confidence in throwing his WR's open or throwing to a spot. He lacks confidence in that because he knows that he doesn't do it well. He deosn;t do it well because he just isn't that good. I mean Lord, do any of you ever notice the trajectory on his long balls ? It is horrible. Flat flat flat.

arcowboy

Quote from: 98hogs on October 19, 2014, 07:22:50 am
Good post.  I will add that as long as Brandon Allen is the QB at Arkansas , the Hogs can only hope for a minor bowl at best.  He gives his all but simply does not has the skills.

I will say as long as Bielima is coach all we can hope for is minor bowls if any bowl. 

sigpooie

Am I the only one that saw ba just walk off while the player he threw the ball to was getting tackled. That one play shows how much BA does for his team. That alone would make me bench his butt for the rest of his career.
For those of you who don't know, our receivers where open most of the day. BA missed the passes by taking too long and spending too much time trying not to get touched. A QB has to take hits and still move. Did any of you watch the nd Fsu game. both qbs showed abilities BA will never have.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Shoat

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 19, 2014, 04:25:55 am
While Brandon ran for his life, several of those runs were his own fault.
He would hang on to the ball far to long, looking for one of his receivers.
Other times he'd throw to a receiver that was covered, or even doubled covered, when there was another option wide open that he failed to see.
I do realize that when he was hanging on to the football longer than he should have that he was attempting to make a play, but in the SEC if you can't go through your progressions rapidly and upon finding none of your receivers open you had better be able to quickly decide between scrambling for what yardage you can get, or throwing the football away. I think that Brandon's biggest issue is that he isn't able to make those types of decisions with little to no hesitation.
I appreciate all that he's done and will do for the Hogs and will not bad mouth the kid. I do believe that he loves the Hogs and is doing everything within his power to help us win football games.

I agree that BA tries very hard, but regardless of the question he is not the answer

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: arcowboy on October 19, 2014, 11:12:46 am
I will say as long as Bielima is coach all we can hope for is minor bowls if any bowl. 

I like Bielema and in the long run I think he is gonna be good for Arkansas....but....I think he is just making the mistake of trying to win now with the most experienced QB instead of realizing that QB does not have what it takes to win and moving on and getting the other QBs experience.

showme

Quote from: theenemy on October 19, 2014, 11:22:01 am
I like Bielema and in the long run I think he is gonna be good for Arkansas....but....I think he is just making the mistake of trying to win now with the most experienced QB instead of realizing that QB does not have what it takes to win and moving on and getting the other QBs experience.
I agree with you.Time to experiment with some other QB's just to find out what else you have. Practice doesn't tell you everything. Many players perform better during a game than they do at practice. Time to see if we have one of those at QB. If it doesn;t work out, hey, at least you tried. It shows the team that you are trying.

TheRealShark

October 19, 2014, 02:16:44 pm #63 Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 04:19:08 pm by TheRealShark
Turnovers were the biggest problem, IMO, and it seems to me BA was involved in all of them.  He was the last one to have possession on the sack/fumble, the pitch fumble, and of course both the interceptions.

I am not on the blame BA bandwagon, but this Georgia game was IMO impacted greatly by the turnovers and the fact is BA was involved in all of them.

This is just one game, though.  I'm certainly not buying into the idea that 16 league losses are all BA's fault.  In his defense, one int was a tipped ball.  The sack/fumble was crappy protection.  MAYBE Collins should have caught that pitch.  So if you want to try to explain them away, at least 3 of the TOs might have an asterisk on them.
Quote from: Uncle Ivan
If Houston Nutt coached against al-Qaeda, I'd pull for Osama bin Laden.
Quote from: WilsonHog on October 10, 2010, 08:52:33 pm
Do not sell adopt-a-midget week short.

oldhog63

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 19, 2014, 04:25:55 am
While Brandon ran for his life, several of those runs were his own fault.
He would hang on to the ball far to long, looking for one of his receivers.
Other times he'd throw to a receiver that was covered, or even doubled covered, when there was another option wide open that he failed to see.
I do realize that when he was hanging on to the football longer than he should have that he was attempting to make a play, but in the SEC if you can't go through your progressions rapidly and upon finding none of your receivers open you had better be able to quickly decide between scrambling for what yardage you can get, or throwing the football away. I think that Brandon's biggest issue is that he isn't able to make those types of decisions with little to no hesitation.
I appreciate all that he's done and will do for the Hogs and will not bad mouth the kid. I do believe that he loves the Hogs and is doing everything within his power to help us win football games.

+1

Nail meet hammer.

hogfan10

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on October 19, 2014, 10:32:16 am
If Peyton Manning was 0-13 in SEC play he would have been pulled. Brandon Allen is no Peyton Manning.
Interesting how you've turned an 11 man game into a 1 man game.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: Kevin on October 19, 2014, 07:47:23 am
my opinion is he is a product of a hs spread offense, where they don't learn how to read the defense, or manage a game from the huddle or under center.

case in point, yesterday, when a qb takes a 3 step drop from center, he has one read, if not open throw it away, ba stands there like he is in a 7 step drop. getting hit on that kind of play is his fault.

he does not see blitzes coming, and stays on his primary receiver. that is what mallet was great at, knowing where the pressure was coming from, and knowing which receiver was going to be open.

qb of the offense & defense have to be able to adapt & adjust to what they see pre snap. i don't think he does that well.

part of it is not his fault, he was never taught too.

all this high school no huddle, look to the sideline, is coaches doing all the thinking for their players, and not teaching their players how to think, adapt & adjust.

it is not all on him. i don't understand why we don't do things to help our wide receivers get off the line. yesterday, it looked like there was changes to the formations for the tight ends.

right now, i think, we don't have enough talented players to run the whole play book. so, we are in a fight with one hand tied behind our back.

i think you make great points.

of all the highlight films i see of top qb's out of highschool, they are from teams that dominate their league, and most of them run out of the gun in a spread. 

game managers work, however, when the team works well around that manager.  when it doesn't, the qb has to pull the slack.

i see the same things as you, i think. i don't think he gets the reads.  he's waiting too long to hit the receiver. his "sense" doesn't seem to know the receiver will be open.

we had a qb [can't recall who] that did the same thing but much worse. i can't remember who it was be the receiver had to be wide open before he'd turn loose of the ball, instead of knowing ahead of time.

we gripe about WR's and such and i'm guilty of that.  yesterday though, i paid better attention and saw several open receivers.  its not THAT hard to do - get open.
The rest of the frog.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 19, 2014, 04:22:14 pm
Interesting how you've turned an 11 man game into a 1 man game.

Its not a 1 man game but the old cliche "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" is what we have.

impact

Maybe someone should give Brandon Allen a Scantron...

Seriously yesterday's loss was a team effort.
Arkansas Razorback Football - Reigning champion and annual winner of the Integrity Bowl!

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: impact on October 19, 2014, 04:59:20 pm

If it was one loss ok........but we are waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay past 1 loss.

showme

Quote from: impact on October 19, 2014, 04:59:20 pm
Maybe someone should give Brandon Allen a Scantron...

No one is dumb enough to think that he is the only reason for the loss. It just so happens though that this thread was about Brandon Allen so he is being discussed. Call us crazy for discussing the subject of the thread.

LZH

Without reading a single post in this thread, I'll just say this:  He hasn't played well a lot of the time, but he's a really good kid and desperately wants to win....he takes it personally when things go wrong and feels like he's let everyone down.  So do NOT run this young man into the ground.  Pretty please.

Thanks.

Lake City Hog

All Games      ----Brandon Allen 7 137.64 107-182-4 58.8 1293 13 54 184.7
Georgia Game----Brandon Allen 28-45-2 296 3 38 3

Try again you bunch of idiots! Sacked 3 times, hit numerous times and running for his life most times and you pansies that have never been hit by a 6'4" 300 pound DT want to criticize!

But, whatever we do let's not dare question the guy that keeps putting him in the position to fail. Let's all clap and cheer every time Chaney calls another horrible play!

LZH

Quote from: Lake City Hog on October 19, 2014, 05:49:52 pm
But, whatever we do let's not dare question the guy that keeps putting him in the position to fail. Let's all clap and cheer every time Chaney calls another horrible play!

I haven't watched the replay of the whole game yet, but from everything I've read on here today it sounds like I'm gonna be quite pissed at Chaney, too.....not just BB.  Great, really looking forward to it.  :(

hogfan10

Quote from: AdriAnn on October 19, 2014, 05:14:41 pm
This is what leads me to think sometimes the coaches are not the sharpest tools in the shed..  Exactly ho do the coaches know he is the best they have?  No one else has played QB except him.   Obviously, he is talking about what happens in practice and in the film room.  Practice play, as we all know too well by now, doesn't always translate to real games, and visa versa. 

Bret, to know Allen is the best you have, don't you need to let some else get a series or three in a game?

Don't know of too many coaches who are willing to use game minutes as a tryout session for a position. Players typically earn minutes in practice.
If we did have tryouts during an actual game, I'm betting you'd be one of the first to criticize BB for wasting a single possession with player X at QB, and would say something along the lines of "what do they do all week in practice, how could the coach not know who his best QB is before game time".

hogfan10

Quote from: theenemy on October 19, 2014, 04:47:07 pm
Its not a 1 man game but the old cliche "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link" is what we have.

And just how do you know he is the weakest link?

Iwastherein1969

no one is blaming Brandon Allen.....just like Ann "Ma" Richards said in the 1988 Democratic National Convention as the feature speaker, Ma said of the Republican nominee, "waaaaale George, he kan't heppit, he wuz born with a silver foot in his mouth"....point ?  Brandon Allen was born with a certain amount of "God given" ability and IMHO, that ability level is Henderson St, SAU, Ouachita, Harding, etc
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 19, 2014, 07:30:00 pm
And just how do you know he is the weakest link?

By watching him play and making the same mistakes game in and game out.  At some point it becomes a pattern not an anomaly.

You talk to other teams fans and they point to him as why we cannot win.

The fact is he is not SEC caliber.

urkillnmesmalls

There were a lot of areas to lay blame to for that loss.  The real truth is, Bama showed UGA what to do.  Bama was extremely successful when they blitzed.  UGA took that a step further, and had a blitzer on almost every play...run or pass.  They disrupted runs, and changed the game with sacks and turnovers on BA early on.   

For whatever reason, and this is my opinion, BA doesn't have the ability to make them pay for that.  On more than one occasion, I could see exactly where the blitz was coming from off the edge, and our back didn't even stay in to protect.  He released out into the flat, and was WIDE open.  Instead of knowing that, and making UGA pay and getting the ball to the back, BA tried to run away from the pressure, limited the field to 50%, and played right into their coverage scheme.     

One thing about great QB's is that if you choose to sell out on something on defense, they're going to make you pay for it.  For whatever reason, we simply don't do that.

What UGA did is take loading the box to a new level by also adding a blitzer that was specifically to try to take away the ability to pass the ball, leaving us even more one dimensional.  It was a very good scheme by UGA.  In the second half, they played more "true" coverage schemes, and it allowed us to hit a few plays as a result.  Had they stuck with the blitzer off the edge, I think our offense would have looked a whole lot more like the first half, but with that lead...they were trying to play it a little safer.

Even with all that being said, that was a team loss.  Dumb mistakes, and IMO, an almost "Here we go again" feeling when they missed the extra point.  Instead of creating resolve, it seemed to just deflate the entire team.  What we watched was a team that had a lack of focus....top to bottom, minus Speight who played his heart out.     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 19, 2014, 08:11:40 pm
There were a lot of areas to lay blame to for that loss.  The real truth is, Bama showed UGA what to do.  Bama was extremely successful when they blitzed.  UGA took that a step further, and had a blitzer on almost every play...run or pass.  They disrupted runs, and changed the game with sacks and turnovers on BA early on.   

For whatever reason, and this is my opinion, BA doesn't have the ability to make them pay for that.  On more than one occasion, I could see exactly where the blitz was coming from off the edge, and our back didn't even stay in to protect.  He released out into the flat, and was WIDE open.  Instead of knowing that, and making UGA pay and getting the ball to the back, BA tried to run away from the pressure, limited the field to 50%, and played right into their coverage scheme.     

One thing about great QB's is that if you choose to sell out on something on defense, they're going to make you pay for it.  For whatever reason, we simply don't do that.

What UGA did is take loading the box to a new level by also adding a blitzer that was specifically to try to take away the ability to pass the ball, leaving us even more one dimensional.  It was a very good scheme by UGA.  In the second half, they played more "true" coverage schemes, and it allowed us to hit a few plays as a result.  Had they stuck with the blitzer off the edge, I think our offense would have looked a whole lot more like the first half, but with that lead...they were trying to play it a little safer.

Even with all that being said, that was a team loss.  Dumb mistakes, and IMO, an almost "Here we go again" feeling when they missed the extra point.  Instead of creating resolve, it seemed to just deflate the entire team.  What we watched was a team that had a lack of focus....top to bottom, minus Speight who played his heart out.     

very good stuff.
The rest of the frog.

hogfan10

Quote from: theenemy on October 19, 2014, 08:03:41 pm
By watching him play and making the same mistakes game in and game out.  At some point it becomes a pattern not an anomaly.

You talk to other teams fans and they point to him as why we cannot win.

The fact is he is not SEC caliber.

Let me ask you a question, would you know by watching if another player was continuously missing an assignment? Maybe your attributing someone else's mistakes to Allen. We as fans typically follow the ball, so we only see the end result, what we don't know is what was actually supposed to happen. A receiver could cut a route short, run it 3 yrds too far, or run the wrong route altogether; a back could run the wrong play, fail to pick up a blitzer, etc.; lineman could make many mistakes that we as fans would never know about. Point is as fans we watch the ball, any of the above misques can cause the player with the ball (Allen) to look bad, even though he did everything he was supposed to.
Not saying Allen is without fault, but he's not the only one who makes mistakes; his are just out in the open for everyone to see (even when someone else really caused the play to fail).

lrcentral

In Oklahoma Knight is getting slammed and called a mediocre QB that is getting OU beat. That is what is being said with only two losses.

In Arkansas our QB can lose 15 straight conference games and "aint no body better talk bad bout him." That is a losers' mentality.

Your either part of the solution or part of the problem. CBB please bring in a handful of Qbs this off season because if this is the best then we have a major problem. 

Danny J

Quote from: lrcentral on October 19, 2014, 08:33:24 pm
In Oklahoma Knight is getting slammed and called a mediocre QB that is getting OU beat. That is what is being said with only two losses.

In Arkansas our QB can lose 15 straight conference games and "aint no body better talk bad bout him." That is a losers' mentality.

Your either part of the solution or part of the problem. CBB please bring in a handful of Qbs this off season because if this is the best then we have a major problem.
Knight IMO is the second best passing QB in the NCAA right behind WInston(God I hate admitting that). Sooner fans are irrational and I know many.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: hogfan10 on October 19, 2014, 08:19:32 pm
Let me ask you a question, would you know by watching if another player was continuously missing an assignment? Maybe your attributing someone else's mistakes to Allen. We as fans typically follow the ball, so we only see the end result, what we don't know is what was actually supposed to happen. A receiver could cut a route short, run it 3 yrds too far, or run the wrong route altogether; a back could run the wrong play, fail to pick up a blitzer, etc.; lineman could make many mistakes that we as fans would never know about. Point is as fans we watch the ball, any of the above misques can cause the player with the ball (Allen) to look bad, even though he did everything he was supposed to.
Not saying Allen is without fault, but he's not the only one who makes mistakes; his are just out in the open for everyone to see (even when someone else really caused the play to fail).

If you watch the games, you'll see a theme.  You NEVER see a ball delivered on time to a WR just coming out of a break.  Watch top teams...the receivers run crisp routes, and often times the ball is in the air before they've even looked back.  It was consistent last night in the ND vs. Fla State game.  I can't point to ONE single instance where BA has done that not just this year...but EVER. 

He holds the ball.  It's his biggest issue.  You're right...that may not be obvious to all fans, because he typically looks at the primary, gets antsy, and either fires it out of bounds, or scrambles around and then fires it out of bounds.  If the commitment is to throw to the primary out of necessity due to pressure, then you have to throw it on time and be on the same page as the receiver.   

It's that one or two seconds of NOT committing to throwing the ball to a spot on the field where the receivers are SUPPOSED TO BE that is the biggest issue.  Even on the simple out routes...watch closely.  He gets it to the TE too late, and the defenders have had time to close on them. 

I'm sure a big part of that comes from a lack of confidence in the WR corps from days gone by, and part of that probably comes from lack of emphasis on it in practice.  The advantage on offense is that you know where you're going, and the defender has to react to that.  BA is NOT taking advantage of that.  He's giving the defense time to react and regain position.   

It's his biggest issue.  You have to have crisp routes, guys open, and the ball delivered on time.  If you hold the ball, the defender has a chance to close the gap, and now it looks like everyone is covered.

In his defense, our WR's aren't running the most precise routes in the history of football either.   ::)   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

LZH

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 19, 2014, 08:49:43 pm
If you watch the games, you'll see a theme.  You NEVER see a ball delivered on time to a WR just coming out of a break.  Watch top teams...the receivers run crisp routes, and often times the ball is in the air before they've even looked back.  It was consistent last night in the ND vs. Fla State game.  I can't point to ONE single instance where BA has done that not just this year...but EVER. 

He holds the ball.  It's his biggest issue.  You're right...that may not be obvious to all fans, because he typically looks at the primary, gets antsy, and either fires it out of bounds, or scrambles around and then fires it out of bounds.  If the commitment is to throw to the primary out of necessity due to pressure, then you have to throw it on time and be on the same page as the receiver.   

It's that one or two seconds of NOT committing to throwing the ball to a spot on the field where the receivers are SUPPOSED TO BE that is the biggest issue.  Even on the simple out routes...watch closely.  He gets it to the TE too late, and the defenders have had time to close on them. 

I'm sure a big part of that comes from a lack of confidence in the WR corps from days gone by, and part of that probably comes from lack of emphasis on it in practice.  The advantage on offense is that you know where you're going, and the defender has to react to that.  BA is NOT taking advantage of that.  He's giving the defense time to react and regain position.   

It's his biggest issue.  You have to have crisp routes, guys open, and the ball delivered on time.  If you hold the ball, the defender has a chance to close the gap, and now it looks like everyone is covered.

In his defense, our WR's aren't running the most precise routes in the history of football either.   ::)   

The attention to detail between our QB's and receivers just isn't what it was under BP.  That's not intended as a shot at Chaney, but it is the truth (to be less detail-oriented than BP would cover a lot of OC's, certainly not just Chaney).  We just seem to be a long ways from where we need to be in that department.

Unless we can run the ball for 300 yards a game, we're gonna need better QB play from here on out if we're gonna win any SEC games.  Also, the fact that we don't have a true, dedicated QB coach on staff has always bothered me.

HF#1

Quote from: LZH on October 19, 2014, 09:21:33 pm
The attention to detail between our QB's and receivers just isn't what it was under BP.  That's not intended as a shot at Chaney, but it is the truth (to be less detail-oriented than BP would cover a lot of OC's, certainly not just Chaney).  We just seem to be a long ways from where we need to be in that department.

Unless we can run the ball for 300 yards a game, we're gonna need better QB play from here on out if we're gonna win any SEC games.  Also, the fact that we don't have a true, dedicated QB coach on staff has always bothered me.

And the running game wasn't as efficient under Petrino as it is under Bielema. 
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

LZH

Quote from: HF#1 on October 19, 2014, 09:26:18 pm
And the running game wasn't as efficient under Petrino as it is under Bielema. 

???  Actually, the running game wasn't as efficient under Petrino as it was under Nutt for that matter.  I'm not sure that makes anyone feel any better.

I was talking about QB's and WR's.

SantaHog

I don't blame Brandon Allen.  He doesn't deserve the criticism.  The play calling is idiotic at best and doesn't utilize the strength of the offense.  Brandon is not a player that you can put the team on his shoulders and expect him to be successful in the SEC.  However, if you put him in the right situations that play to his strength; he looks like an All-American. 

Opening drive thirteen plays, twelve are runs, resulting in a touchdown.  We looked like we would manhandle them.  The one pass was play action with the defense focused on stopping the run.  BA threw a solid pass on time to Hollister for a good gain.  On our second possession we start off with back to back pass plays resulting in back to back QB sacks.  Our offense is at its best when we pound the ball down the opponents throat.  Brandon can function well with play action passes off the solid run game.  I would like to see what this offensive line could do to an SEC opponent if we stuck with the ground game throughout.  Can we wear down an SEC caliber defense with this offensive line?  We need to find out, because we can't win by expecting BA to throw the ball forty times a game. 

ballz2thewall

Quote from: SantaHog on October 19, 2014, 09:41:07 pm
I don't blame Brandon Allen.  He doesn't deserve the criticism.  The play calling is idiotic at best and doesn't utilize the strength of the offense.  Brandon is not a player that you can put the team on his shoulders and expect him to be successful in the SEC.  However, if you put him in the right situations that play to his strength; he looks like an All-American. 

Opening drive thirteen plays, twelve are runs, resulting in a touchdown.  We looked like we would manhandle them.  The one pass was play action with the defense focused on stopping the run.  BA threw a solid pass on time to Hollister for a good gain.  On our second possession we start off with back to back pass plays resulting in back to back QB sacks.  Our offense is at its best when we pound the ball down the opponents throat.  Brandon can function well with play action passes off the solid run game.  I would like to see what this offensive line could do to an SEC opponent if we stuck with the ground game throughout.  Can we wear down an SEC caliber defense with this offensive line?  We need to find out, because we can't win by expecting BA to throw the ball forty times a game.

the second offensive series was a mistake in play calling in my opinion as well.  there was absolutely no reason to think we would fool them.  moreover, there was no reason to try.  better to pass on 3d down if necessary.  turnover and penalties to come killed, but that series was not well planned.

i don't care what the defense may have showed in the booth; keep it on the ground at that point.
The rest of the frog.

LZH

Quote from: SantaHog on October 19, 2014, 09:41:07 pm
I don't blame Brandon Allen.  He doesn't deserve the criticism.

He hasn't played well at times, there's no dancing around that fact.  He's a coach's son, so he knows it's comes with the territory.  But I try to watch how I critique any of our players, individually, especially ones who have been called everything in the book, been cursed at, had their truck set on fire, etc.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 19, 2014, 09:45:58 pm
the second offensive series was a mistake in play calling in my opinion as well.  there was absolutely no reason to think we would fool them.  moreover, there was no reason to try.  better to pass on 3d down if necessary.  turnover and penalties to come killed, but that series was not well planned.

i don't care what the defense may have showed in the booth; keep it on the ground at that point.

Every time we get the ball around midfield on a turnover or similar momentum shifting play, Chaney is going to run play action for a home run.  That's what the book says to do. The  problem is that Smart and Pruitt have read the book, too.  They both sent a corner blitz for a huge sack. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hogsanity

Quote from: Chuck Beavers on October 19, 2014, 10:11:49 am
Very true. Other players get benched when they make mental mistakes. Not Brandon. I wonder how the other players feel about that double standard?

No one that actually GETS PAID TO COACH D1 FOOTBALL benches their QB after a turnover. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2014, 10:18:09 pm
No one that actually GETS PAID TO COACH D1 FOOTBALL benches their QB after a turnover. 

HDN, Carolina game, 2006......................."I have a quick trigger".

PonderinHog

Steve Spurrier, whenever he feels like it.

hogsanity

Quote from: LZH on October 19, 2014, 10:19:55 pm
HDN, Carolina game, 2006......................."I have a quick trigger".

And he is no longer getting paid to coach d1 football, he is actually being paid NOT to coach.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LZH

Quote from: hogsanity on October 19, 2014, 10:23:37 pm
And he is no longer getting paid to coach d1 football, he is actually being paid NOT to coach.

;)

upperdeck_hawg

I DVR'ed the game and was able to see for the first time what many who go to the games say. That BA doesnt see a lot of open wide receivers running down the field. He seems to lock on to the short or intermediate routes and let's it fly whether they are open or not.

Andre Ware pointed out a number of occasions where Allen picked the wrong receiver to throw to. You can clearly see that he doesn't have the 'wow' factor that Mallett or Tyler Wilson have.
I don't hate the guy.  He's a great Hog, and a needed contributor.  I despise that he does not understand his role as a complimentary player puts an absolute ceiling on this team.

-ErieHog on Devo Davis

hogsanity

Quote from: upperdeck_hawg on October 19, 2014, 10:38:36 pm
I DVR'ed the game and was able to see for the first time what many who go to the games say. That BA doesnt see a lot of open wide receivers running down the field. He seems to lock on to the short or intermediate routes and let's it fly whether they are open or not.

Andre Ware pointed out a number of occasions where Allen picked the wrong receiver to throw to. You can clearly see that he doesn't have the 'wow' factor that Mallett or Tyler Wilson have.

That can be said about most qbs playing on any given Saturday. Qbs miss receivers all the time.  Another thing people "see" is a receiver running open, but he only comes open when the throw goes somewhere else and the defender drop off their coverage.

Kevin

He cannot read defenses. He looks only at who the primary receiver is, no matter what the defense is doing
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Scattercreek

Don't blame Brandon he' every bit as good as Casey Dick was. IMO history repeats itself Allen bros.= Dick bros