Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why blame Brandon Allen?

Started by hogcam, October 19, 2014, 01:51:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Wants2Win on October 22, 2014, 04:43:27 pm
It's easy to blitz the house when the game is all but over. You have to be kidding that game was over at halftime.
WTH? In the first half Arkansas should have picked up the blitz better but in the second half Georgia decided to blitz when they should have stayed at home so Arkansas knew what they were doing and took advantage of it which is the only reason they played better? Is that the point you're trying to make because what you posted makes no sense to me?

Georgia's strategy did not change in the second half. They continued to pressure with their D-ends and they continued to blitz their cornerbacks. They continued to play hard.
If you think they were out there fooling around while a 32 point lead was dwindling to 13 you don't know jack about football.

Wants2Win

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 22, 2014, 04:59:10 pm
WTH? In the first half Arkansas should have picked up the blitz better but in the second half Georgia decided to blitz when they should have stayed at home so Arkansas knew what they were doing and took advantage of it which is the only reason they played better? Is that the point you're trying to make because what you posted makes no sense to me?

Georgia's strategy did not change in the second half. They continued to pressure with their D-ends and they continued to blitz their cornerbacks. They continued to play hard.
If you think they were out there fooling around while a 32 point lead was dwindling to 13 you don't know jack about football.
If you get burned calling a blitz...big deal...you're already up 40. Similar to calling a bomb on 2nd and 1. If you don't connect the 3rd and 1 should be easy to pick up.

Wants2Win

showme

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 22, 2014, 04:34:25 pm
I just went back and looked at the 2nd half and no, it did not look like they "let up."

On BA's 3rd quarter TD to Hunter Henry both cornerbacks blitzed and both defensive ends came with heat. The two corners were on him in less than 3 seconds. He made the throw with two pair of hands in his face a split second before he was knocked to the ground.

There were several other completions under blitz conditions and/or heavy pressure from the D-ends including one where Jonathan Williams took out the right defensive end allowing Allen time to hit Demetrius Wilson.

In the first half BA was 6 of 14 for 0 TD and one pick. He was sacked four times. In the second half he was 21 of 29 for 215 yards and 3 TDs.

Get a clue. Arkansas' coaches adjusted at halftime. That's what some of you have been complaining about but because it doesn't fit your agenda it turns into Georgia was just fooling around in the second half.
Get a clue ? I just asked the man a question Mike. Wanted his opinion. Most football people understand that emotion plays a big part in football, especially defense. Having a 38-6 lead tends to make the team with the lead play differently on defense. Puts them more in a prevent mode. They tend to play with less emotion. Less urgency. Nick Saban even mentioned it on his way to the locker room Saturday when he had a 40 point lead on the Aggies. Said he would have a hard time getting his guys to keep playing. To totally dismiss the idea that Georgia's defense didn't lose a little bit of emotion and momentum is not common, i'll leave it at that.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Wants2Win on October 22, 2014, 05:34:09 pm
If you get burned calling a blitz...big deal...you're already up 40. Similar to calling a bomb on 2nd and 1. If you don't connect the 3rd and 1 should be easy to pick up.
So now you're trying to claim that they had nothing to lose so they didn't put much effort into the blitz? 

Get over yourself.

Go watch the video of Allen beating that blitz and get back to me. Both corners were on him in about 2.8 seconds and he made a great play.

Your anti Bielema, anti BA agenda is ridiculous.

You should change your name to Wants2Complain because that's all you do.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: showme on October 22, 2014, 08:38:35 pm
Get a clue ? I just asked the man a question Mike. Wanted his opinion. Most football people understand that emotion plays a big part in football, especially defense. Having a 38-6 lead tends to make the team with the lead play differently on defense. Puts them more in a prevent mode. They tend to play with less emotion. Less urgency. Nick Saban even mentioned it on his way to the locker room Saturday when he had a 40 point lead on the Aggies. Said he would have a hard time getting his guys to keep playing. To totally dismiss the idea that Georgia's defense didn't lose a little bit of emotion and momentum is not common, i'll leave it at that.
I wasn't responding to you specifically but to all of those on this board who since Saturday night have claimed that Georgia backed off and that's the reason Arkansas cut a 32 point deficit to 13 in the second half.

Certain people should stop speculating and actually look at the second half. 

Wants2Win

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 22, 2014, 08:42:14 pm
So now you're trying to claim that they had nothing to lose so they didn't put much effort into the blitz? 

Get over yourself.

Go watch the video of Allen beating that blitz and get back to me. Both corners were on him in about 2.8 seconds and he made a great play.

Your anti Bielema, anti BA agenda is ridiculous.

You should change your name to Wants2Complain because that's all you do.
I'm anti losing. The game was over at half.

Wants2Win

It wasn't BA's fault alone..it took a team effort to lose so badly.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 22, 2014, 04:59:10 pm

You'd be fun on a golf course..... Boom.
This is my non-signature signature.

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

Because it's what people who know a little do: generalize.

Jailbreak pass rush? QB's fault. Peyton Manning woulda seen that coming!

RB doesn't pick up the blitz? QB's fault, Manning woulda cussed him into doing his job!

Can't kick a field goal? QB's fault, Manning rarely needs FGs!

I've even heard QBs blamed for dropped passes that hit them right in the hands. It's just so much more easy and convenient than seeing the big picture.

I heard one "expert" claim it was BA's fault Skipper tripped the DB and held in the A&M game...

Is Allen elite? NO. He does hold the ball too long at times, miss open receivers, etc. People spoiled by watching Peyton Manning highlights on ESPN don't seem to get the fact that that is a most QB thing, not a Brandon Allen thing.

Blake Sims is 6-1 as a starter and gets no respect in Alabama, so don't say it's only about wins and losses.

One of the most popular players on most teams is the backup QB who is an undiscovered superstar while the guy starting is a bozo who can't throw a fit..

If I had to rate the SEC West QBs, I would put BA probably 5th or 6th behind:
1. Prescott
2. Wallace
3. Marshall
4. Sims
5. K Hill or BA
6. BA or K Hill
7. Jennings/Harris

Those putting Hill in the Hypesman race are looking pretty silly lately. I would say if you gave BA Amari Cooper at WR to throw to or all those tall guys at A&M, he would look a LOT better.

No QB with WRs who have so much trouble getting open CONSISTENTLY is going to light it up.

BA could do better in "throwing receivers open". He could do better in anticipating throws, but again, you have to know where the WRs are going to be and have confidence in them to do that.

If he played for Alabama, he would probably rank above Sims...

Making fun of Hootie since 2003

The Hogfather

You forgot about blaming him for pitches that our RBs don't catch.

hogsanity

Quote from: Nuttcracker, Sweet! on October 22, 2014, 09:22:47 pm

If I had to rate the SEC West QBs, I would put BA probably 5th or 6th behind:
1. Prescott
2. Wallace
3. Marshall
4. Sims
5. K Hill or BA
6. BA or K Hill
7. Jennings/Harris

And what is of note about that list, at one point in their careers fans were ready to bench Wallace and Prescott and never let them play again. Marshal would not be playing QB ANYWHERE else in the big 5 conferences. Sims is a SR, but seeing his 1st significant playing time, and it shows.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogfaniam

Quote from: The Hogfather on October 23, 2014, 09:05:12 am
You forgot about blaming him for pitches that our RBs don't catch.

Hit him in the worst place: right in the hands.

I really hate that play.  The margin for error is so huge.  You have little time to react to a bad pitch and If the pitch is missed, it's going towards the opponents goal line.  At least a toss sweep is going towards the sidelines, mostly.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

hogsanity

Why is he blamed so much here? 2 main reasons:

1. It is easy.  Much easier to just blame the QB than to look at what may be actual issues.

2. It is allowed.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LZH

Quote from: GuvHog on October 22, 2014, 09:25:59 am
That's what happens when a coach tries to turn a HUNH Spread QB into an all purpose QB.

If a guy can take a snap, plant his back foot, and get the ball there in time / has a quick release, it shouldn't matter what offense he ran in high school.  I'm obviously no talent scout, but a good athlete is a good athlete, and a good QB is a good QB.

LZH

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 23, 2014, 09:22:44 am
"Get a clue"
"Get over yourself"
"Don't know jack about football"

It sounds like Mike Irwin is the leader among those who can't have a discussion without resorting to junior high name calling.

Get over yourself.

hogsanity

"Get a clue"
"Get over yourself"

It sounds like Mike Irwin is the leader among those who can't have a discussion without resorting to junior high name calling.

None of that is name calling. " Get a clue " could be taken to mean " learn more about the game instead of just spouting lazy accusations".

"get over yourself" could mean to just realize your's is not the only opinion.

" You don't know jack about football " could mean " since you have never coached or worked for a d1 program, your analysis is incomplete.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: LZH on October 23, 2014, 09:25:06 am
Get over yourself.
Mike Irwin's vice president for the junior high girls football fan club.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2014, 09:26:10 am
None of that is name calling. " Get a clue " could be taken to mean " learn more about the game instead of just spouting lazy accusations".

"get over yourself" could mean to just realize your's is not the only opinion.

" You don't know jack about football " could mean " since you have never coached or worked for a d1 program, your analysis is incomplete.
It's all chickenshit.

flippinhogmana

sometimes the fault isn't solely the qbs for a pick or a fumble, but far too many turnovers have involved BA too many times over the last two years for him not to bear a lot of the responsibility.
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

PonderinHog

Here's my theory:

He's the quarterback.

This is MMQB.

GuvHog

Quote from: LZH on October 23, 2014, 09:24:32 am
If a guy can take a snap, plant his back foot, and get the ball there in time / has a quick release, it shouldn't matter what offense he ran in high school.  I'm obviously no talent scout, but a good athlete is a good athlete, and a good QB is a good QB.

In high school, a HUNH  QB doesn't have to read the defense, all he does is just look to the sideline, read the flash cards which tell him which receiver to pass to, and throw the ball to that receiver. The HUNH QB isn't allowed to call an audible, he runs what he is told to which results in him locking in on one receiver. If that receiver is covered, he either tucks it and gets what he can or rolls out and throws it out of bounds. That's all Brandon was taught by his HS and JHS coaches, it's not his fault.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Mike Irwin

"Get a clue"
"Get over yourself"

Sounds like there's a group on this board who don't like it when somebody challenges their nonstop rants against this football program.

The other side can play this game too. Some of us get tired of the smart a** comments, the constant running down of coaches and players who are busting their butts to turn this football program around.

Legitimate criticism doesn't bother me. But when people claiming to be fans get on this board and minimize any positive signs of improvement then yeah, I'm gonna come back at them. Especially when they're spouting nonsense.

It's not hard to figure out what's going on here. We have some people who want Jeff long gone, want Petrino or Gus to be hired and they are going to turn every discussion about Razorback football into, our coach is a windbag or Brandon Allen is the lowest ranked QB in the SEC and other nonsense.

I've never challenged those among you who bring up legitimate points of criticism. But when players that I'm around every day, players who are busting their butts to get better, regroup at halftime of a blowout, make adjustments and play their butts off in the 2nd half then I'm going to acknowledge that. And when some of you try to minimize that effort by claiming that Georgia stopped playing hard I'm going to challenge you on that. Especially when what you claim is easily refuted by simply watching a replay of the second half.

The fact is, some of you have gotten so used to exercising your God given rights to throw mud at the coaches and players on this team that you think nobody else has the right to throw some of it back at you.

Get used to it because that's what I'm encouraging the majority of fans on this board to do. Stop letting a very vocal minority of mud throwers control the threads in this forum.   

The_Iceman

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 11:18:21 am
Sounds like there's a group on this board who don't like it when somebody challenges their nonstop rants against this football program.

The other side can play this game too. Some of us get tired of the smart a** comments, the constant running down of coaches and players who are busting their butts to turn this football program around.

Legitimate criticism doesn't bother me. But when people claiming to be fans get on this board and minimize any positive signs of improvement then yeah, I'm gonna come back at them. Especially when they're spouting nonsense.

It's not hard to figure out what's going on here. We have some people who want Jeff long gone, want Petrino or Gus to be hired and they are going to turn every discussion about Razorback football into, our coach is a windbag or Brandon Allen is the lowest ranked QB in the SEC and other nonsense.

I've never challenged those among you who bring up legitimate points of criticism. But when players that I'm around every day, players who are busting their butts to get better, regroup at halftime of a blowout, make adjustments and play their butts off in the 2nd half then I'm going to acknowledge that. And when some of you try to minimize that effort by claiming that Georgia stopped playing hard I'm going to challenge you on that. Especially when what you claim is easily refuted by simply watching a replay of the second half.

The fact is, some of you have gotten so used to exercising your God given rights to throw mud at the coaches and players on this team that you think nobody else has the right to throw some of it back at you.

Get used to it because that's what I'm encouraging the majority of fans on this board to do. Stop letting a very vocal minority of mud throwers control the threads in this forum.   

Even as a supporter of Bret Bielema and Brandon Allen, I am willing to bring up real fair criticisms, such as the many mistakes we are making that aren't supposed to be apart of Bielema-football. That's all fine.

What I can't stand is people saying "Lets put Austin/Rafe in because Allen sucks" and "Zero SEC wins is all that matters". Give me an intelligent thought or criticism, not a bunch of non-sense.

hogsanity

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 11:18:21 am

Very true. It could be stopped very easily, but it isn't.

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

HF#1

This thread is no different than the Alex Collins thread from the other day.  I hope folks in here got the same warning I did.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

showme

Quote from: hogsanity on October 23, 2014, 09:26:10 am
But he has never coached for a D1 program so I doubt that is what he meant. that would be hypocritical.

Kevin

So if you never coached on the division 1 level in football then you cannot give an opinion.  Not going to be much discussion on this board or any other
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

showme

Quote from: Kevin on October 23, 2014, 01:59:46 pm
So if you never coached on the division 1 level in football then you cannot give an opinion.  Not going to be much discussion on this board or any other
By ANYONE including mods, owners, etc...

hogsanity

Quote from: Kevin on October 23, 2014, 01:59:46 pm

For once will people read what was said IN IT'S ENTIRETY. I said if you have never coached or worked for a d1 program your analysis is INCOMPLETE.  Not that you can not or should not have an opinion.  For people to come on here and based on what they see on tv or from the stands, and say " BA is not a SEC caliber Qb " is what some of us are talking about. You do not have all the things necessary to state that as fact.  And people do not state that as " their opinion" they state it as a matter fact, which it most certainly is not.

I play golf. I played on scholarship in college. I watch it on tv.  In no way does that qualify me to say what is wrong with a pga tour players swing, or to say he is not really good enough to be in the top tier of pga players. I am not his coach, I am not there watching him strike the ball, I can't analyze his swing from all different angles.

Kevin

Does it have to be said, that is an opinion
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razoredge178

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 22, 2014, 04:46:45 pm
OK, so we out played them in the second half, and UGA was trying to do exactly what they did in the first half.  Still...too little too late.  I don't have an agenda.  I want BA and BB to succeed in the worst way.  I guess we just dug too big of a hole prior to showing we are competitive with UGA.   

Apparently, the next step is not to wait until halftime to notice that they're blitzing on every play and make adjustments prior to getting down 38-6.  Fair enough?

So we filled the hole too quickly against Auburn then, by this line of thinking?

Another topic is covering down on this whole issue well. BB and JC aren't gelling. BA, while super mediocre at best, is stuck in the middle of a ground and pound HC and a spread OC. And BA's not really that great at either, but seems to be his best when sticking WITH ONE OR THE OTHER.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: razoredge178 on October 23, 2014, 03:40:00 pm
So we filled the hole too quickly against Auburn then, by this line of thinking?

Another topic is covering down on this whole issue well. BB and JC aren't gelling. BA, while super mediocre at best, is stuck in the middle of a ground and pound HC and a spread OC. And BA's not really that great at either, but seems to be his best when sticking WITH ONE OR THE OTHER.
Jim Chaney is not a spread offensive coordinator. He is a pro set advocate. There is a big difference.

razoredge178

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 23, 2014, 03:52:18 pm
Jim Chaney is not a spread offensive coordinator. He is a pro set advocate. There is a big difference.

And still a glaring big difference in his style and BB's style. Your point?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: razoredge178 on October 23, 2014, 04:10:18 pm
And still a glaring big difference in his style and BB's style. Your point?
Don't think there is a glaring difference. Bret Bielema did not leave a comfortable job for a rebuilding situation without taking a serious look at who he should hire as his OC.

He specifically said when he hired Chaney that he liked the offense the man was running. He also emphasized that he believed in a run pass balance.

Some on this board are so busy throwing out cute phrases like "ground and pound" that they pay no attention to what Bielema actually says on the subject.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)