Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why blame Brandon Allen?

Started by hogcam, October 19, 2014, 01:51:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hogcam

When things go bad, why does everyone just blame Brandon Allen?  Why not blame our offensive line?  They straight up got beat today.  Why not blame Alex Collins?  He gave them a touchdown and has not been on his A game.  Why not blame all the guys that got stupid personal foul calls?  Why not blame our defense?  It wasn't their best game.. Yes Brandon Allen missed throws, but he is not the reason we lost.  It sickens me that everyone attacks him because of what happened last year.  He has not been our problem this year.  So stop putting all the blame on him.  If you think we have a better option, you're flat out wrong.

carolinahogger

We probably don't have a better option right now.

I don't blame BA, but he is not part of the solution.  QB is ONE of the positions where we lack SEC caliber players.  We must recruit our way out of this.

MissippHog

moses_007

Note to CBB:  Never have Collins in the game when we're behind our own 20 yard line.  Always have Jonathan Williams in the game in those situations. 

spiritof92

I'm not going to bash Allen but there's something that bugs me.  I've heard a number of times that this offense just requires a game manager at QB and that the QB doesn't have to win the game for the team.  Seeing 8 and 9 men in the box makes me think otherwise.

moses_007

Any quarterback can hand the ball off. 

hawaiianhogster

I don't blame the QB solely but he is the man that carries the offense. If he can't make the throws most of the time the team usually loses. To me the QB is the one big reason a team is good or bad. When you play the best teams in the country your QB better make the throws. So far we are proof that you lose your games if the QB does not have a good game unless the rest of the team is so good that they make up for the flaws of the QB.

spiritof92

My question is "what do people want"?  It's obvious to me that Brandon is not the guy but he's what we have until next season. 

hawaiianhogster

You witnessed a good team win today with good QB play. He made the throws that cost us to lose. Just when we were catching up he would throw a TD pass of beauty.

The day we get a QB that can make those throws and the receivers that can catch them will be the day the Hogs start winning championships. We have some tight ends and a couple of receivers that can make those catches. They just need the ball to get there.

code red

Quote from: hogcam on October 19, 2014, 01:51:32 am
When things go bad, why does everyone just blame Brandon Allen?  Why not blame our offensive line?  They straight up got beat today.  Why not blame Alex Collins?  He gave them a touchdown and has not been on his A game.  Why not blame all the guys that got stupid personal foul calls?  Why not blame our defense?  It wasn't their best game.. Yes Brandon Allen missed throws, but he is not the reason we lost.  It sickens me that everyone attacks him because of what happened last year.  He has not been our problem this year.  So stop putting all the blame on him.  If you think we have a better option, you're flat out wrong.
Its the system......you got to recruit a bunch better to run this type of system.....fact.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

spiritof92

From what I saw catching passes isn't a problem for our receivers.  As a matter of fact, Derby and Edwards made really nice catches.  I think our receivers aren't remotely as bad as some let on.

The real Hogules

Quote from: MissippHog on October 19, 2014, 02:07:02 am
BA ran for his life all day.

While Brandon ran for his life, several of those runs were his own fault.
He would hang on to the ball far to long, looking for one of his receivers.
Other times he'd throw to a receiver that was covered, or even doubled covered, when there was another option wide open that he failed to see.
I do realize that when he was hanging on to the football longer than he should have that he was attempting to make a play, but in the SEC if you can't go through your progressions rapidly and upon finding none of your receivers open you had better be able to quickly decide between scrambling for what yardage you can get, or throwing the football away. I think that Brandon's biggest issue is that he isn't able to make those types of decisions with little to no hesitation.
I appreciate all that he's done and will do for the Hogs and will not bad mouth the kid. I do believe that he loves the Hogs and is doing everything within his power to help us win football games.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

nchogg

This lose is not on any 1 player. It was a team lose on both offense and defense.

98hogs

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 19, 2014, 04:25:55 am
Other times he'd throw to a receiver that was covered, or even doubled covered, when there was another option wide open that he failed to see.
I do realize that when he was hanging on to the football longer than he should have that he was attempting to make a play, but in the SEC if you can't go through your progressions rapidly and upon finding none of your receivers open you had better be able to quickly decide between scrambling for what yardage you can get, or throwing the football away. I think that Brandon's biggest issue is that he isn't able to make those types of decisions with little to no hesitation.
I appreciate all that he's done and will do for the Hogs and will not bad mouth the kid. I do believe that he loves the Hogs and is doing everything within his power to help us win football games.

Good post.  I will add that as long as Brandon Allen is the QB at Arkansas , the Hogs can only hope for a minor bowl at best.  He gives his all but simply does not has the skills.

Dr. Starcs

It's the same thing that's happened to tony romo most of his career. Qb gets the majority of th blame even though the line has been susceptible in pass protection and his defense has been mediocre at best.

smb

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on October 19, 2014, 02:53:32 am
I don't blame the QB solely but he is the man that carries the offense. If he can't make the throws most of the time the team usually loses. To me the QB is the one big reason a team is good or bad. When you play the best teams in the country your QB better make the throws. So far we are proof that you lose your games if the QB does not have a good game unless the rest of the team is so good that they make up for the flaws of the QB.
I agree with this and I know our offensive protection for some reason has become non-protective. But it seems to me that you have to have a quarterback who can make big plays and see the whole field. For some reason BA throws the ball to the short guy when there is a player wide open behind that player. The short player is so covered that the ball gets knocked down or dropped. I just wonder if any body else notices this?
GeorgiaHOG

Kevin

my opinion is he is a product of a hs spread offense, where they don't learn how to read the defense, or manage a game from the huddle or under center.

case in point, yesterday, when a qb takes a 3 step drop from center, he has one read, if not open throw it away, ba stands there like he is in a 7 step drop. getting hit on that kind of play is his fault.

he does not see blitzes coming, and stays on his primary receiver. that is what mallet was great at, knowing where the pressure was coming from, and knowing which receiver was going to be open.

qb of the offense & defense have to be able to adapt & adjust to what they see pre snap. i don't think he does that well.

part of it is not his fault, he was never taught too.

all this high school no huddle, look to the sideline, is coaches doing all the thinking for their players, and not teaching their players how to think, adapt & adjust.

it is not all on him. i don't understand why we don't do things to help our wide receivers get off the line. yesterday, it looked like there was changes to the formations for the tight ends.

right now, i think, we don't have enough talented players to run the whole play book. so, we are in a fight with one hand tied behind our back.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

bphi11ips

Quote from: The real Hogules on October 19, 2014, 04:25:55 am

You didn't badmouth, just described what you saw.

I like Brandon Allen.  He says all the right things.  I liked Casey Dick, too, when he made no excuses after the 31-26 loss to LSU in 2006. 

It seems to me there is no use in getting caught up in what happens with this team for a while.  Bielema said before the season to get used to it because Brandon Allen will be the QB.  I suspect that goes for next year as well.  In the meantime, I'll watch the games, hope for a win, and try to enjoy the rest of college football.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Pig Worshipper

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 19, 2014, 07:48:58 am
You didn't badmouth, just described what you saw.

I like Brandon Allen.  He says all the right things.  I liked Casey Dick, too, when he made no excuses after the 31-26 loss to LSU in 2006. 

It seems to me there is no use in getting caught up in what happens with this team for a while.  Bielema said before the season to get used to it because Brandon Allen will be the QB.  I suspect that goes for next year as well.  In the meantime, I'll watch the games, hope for a win, and try to enjoy the rest of college football.

I agree completely but it sure gets old losing so much, doesn't it?

Theolesnort

Don't blame Collins for that fumble it was all Allen. Collins was way to close to have it tossed that hard right off off his face mask before he could get his hands up. Brandon Allen faced some adversity and melted down...........again. I am sick and tired of being a Brandon Allen apologist. The boy needs to man up and face adversity and spit in its face. Hanging ones head and going into a worse funk will not do anything except lead the team downhill where at qb he should be picking everyone up. Get mad Brandon not sad! That is all I will say about it because I hate criticizing players.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Dumb ole famrboy

BA's shoulder is screwed up and it ain't going to get any better. Razorback Football cannot afford investing anymore of their future on a QB with a shoulder in this condition. In practice he is protected and can perform with peace of mind. Game situations are different and his shoulder becomes a driving force of his decision making process. And it is never going to change. In fact, I believe if he continues playing, a season or maybe even a career ending injury is inevitable.

The_Iceman

Quote from: moses_007 on October 19, 2014, 02:29:21 am
Any quarterback can hand the ball off. 

What about throw for 250 yards and 300 yards in back go back weeks against two of the best defenses in the country?

98hogs

Quote from: Dumb ole famrboy on October 19, 2014, 08:05:49 am
BA’s shoulder is screwed up and it ain’t going to get any better. Razorback Football cannot afford investing anymore of their future on a QB with a shoulder in this condition. In practice he is protected and can perform with peace of mind. Game situations are different and his shoulder becomes a driving force of his decision making process. And it is never going to change. In fact, I believe if he continues playing, a season or maybe even a career ending injury is inevitable.
If Bielema keeps hanging his hat on BA, he may want to start job shopping

The_Iceman

Quote from: Theolesnort on October 19, 2014, 08:00:34 am
Don't blame Collins for that fumble it was all Allen. Collins was way to close to have it tossed that hard right off off his face mask before he could get his hands up. Brandon Allen faced some adversity and melted down...........again. I am sick and tired of being a Brandon Allen apologist. The boy needs to man up and face adversity and spit in its face. Hanging ones head and going into a worse funk will not do anything except lead the team downhill where at qb he should be picking everyone up. Get mad Brandon not sad! That is all I will say about it because I hate criticizing players.

You need to go back and watch that play again.

razoredge178

He had an awful game. That's why he garners most of the blame. It was like a scary 2013 flashback. I'm so tired of him tapping his chest, saying "that one was on me." Start getting it right then! Air mailing passes, chucking the ball to the sideline with a receiver 40 yards down field wide open. Pitiful. 

secfan30

To answer the question in the title, the reason he is bashed is because most people have never stepped on a football field much less stepped behind a center.

These same people bashing BA right now would crap themselves the first time a ball was in their hands, the were dropping back seeing your top two targets fully covered while being rushed by 4-6 fast guys that are bigger than you.

Pig In The City

This team has a long way to go and some hard decisions to make.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

When most of our pass plays the receivers can be double covered or at the very least have safety help in both sides over the top that means you have fairly limited options.

When you roll one way or the other you are generally taking away about half of the field by yourself unless you get the pass away very quickly.  Not many can make that opposite side pass without it being picked.

They are not running an offense where the QB is suppose to be the play maker. Understood, but don't expect him to be able to when people stuff the run, the line breaks down, and he has a short option and one deep option.

When the other team stacks the box crossing routes and quick slants behind the line backers should be there all day.  Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see us attempting much of that.
Let's make some waves.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: 98hogs on October 19, 2014, 08:18:26 am
If Bielema keeps hanging his hat on BA, he may want to start job shopping
His refusal to sit ba for even a series after terrible decisions is one of the things that infuriates me about coach.
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Hog Fan n Tx

I never see BA change a play at the line of scrimmage.  He he not allowed to or just does not have the ability to recognize defenses?

Kevin

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on October 19, 2014, 08:50:58 am
When most of our pass plays the receivers can be double covered or at the very least have safety help in both sides over the top that means you have fairly limited options.

When you roll one way or the other you are generally taking away about half of the field by yourself unless you get the pass away very quickly.  Not many can make that opposite side pass without it being picked.

They are not running an offense where the QB is suppose to be the play maker. Understood, but don't expect him to be able to when people stuff the run, the line breaks down, and he has a short option and one deep option.

When the other team stacks the box crossing routes and quick slants behind the line backers should be there all day.  Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see us attempting much of that.

because we don't have a play maker at qb
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogarusa

BA is the QB and perceived leader of the team.  The QBs will always shoulder the blame in losses and get the credit in wins
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Danny J

Quote from: Kevin on October 19, 2014, 07:47:23 am
my opinion is he is a product of a hs spread offense, where they don't learn how to read the defense, or manage a game from the huddle or under center.

case in point, yesterday, when a qb takes a 3 step drop from center, he has one read, if not open throw it away, ba stands there like he is in a 7 step drop. getting hit on that kind of play is his fault.

he does not see blitzes coming, and stays on his primary receiver. that is what mallet was great at, knowing where the pressure was coming from, and knowing which receiver was going to be open.

qb of the offense & defense have to be able to adapt & adjust to what they see pre snap. i don't think he does that well.

part of it is not his fault, he was never taught too.

all this high school no huddle, look to the sideline, is coaches doing all the thinking for their players, and not teaching their players how to think, adapt & adjust.

it is not all on him. i don't understand why we don't do things to help our wide receivers get off the line. yesterday, it looked like there was changes to the formations for the tight ends.

right now, i think, we don't have enough talented players to run the whole play book. so, we are in a fight with one hand tied behind our back.
Great post...100% true especially in regards to reading defenses pre-snap. Hell.....my 65 year old mom saw blitzing coming that BA did not. That is no joke.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Theolesnort on October 19, 2014, 08:00:34 am

Don't blame Collins for that fumble it was all Allen. Collins was way to close to have it tossed that hard right off off his face mask before he could get his hands up.

The pitch was the problem.

sigpooie

he should get the same treatment his other teammates get when they turn the ball over. Bench.
Can read D
Can out run even the refs
Did not even attempt to block someone on a play in the 2nd half and walked right by his teammate getting tackled .
Turned the ball over at least three times
We have been tricked by the ranking services into thinking this kid could play here.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

hogcam

Quote from: spiritof92 on October 19, 2014, 03:02:29 am
From what I saw catching passes isn't a problem for our receivers.  As a matter of fact, Derby and Edwards made really nice catches.  I think our receivers aren't remotely as bad as some let on.
The problem isn't that our receivers can't catch the ball, the problem is that we might have one guy that can beat one on one coverage.. The other team loads the box and our receivers can't beat their man

Dark Helmet Hog

Quote from: Danny J on October 19, 2014, 09:04:33 am
Great post...100% true especially in regards to reading defenses pre-snap. Hell.....my 65 year old mom saw blitzing coming that BA did not. That is no joke.

He can't find open receivers and has issues with ball security too.

sigpooie

Even at my age I could have passed for 300 yards to our receivers and towards the end of the game when they made BA stop reading and just make the dang throw, it moved the team. Our receivers where open and anyone who says that they have not been open for the past 5 games in not watching or just does not know the progress of the  plays. BA can't read and also can't throw a lob or 3 ball. go back and look at the games when he throws deep  it's thrown on a rope and is not even close to being catch-able to even an open receiver.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

Swinesong1

I was pointing out ALL of these faults of Allen's LAST YEAR!  Everyone was defending his play due to the shoulder.  Fast forward to 2014, same inept QB and excuses are still being made for him.  I see where some have even started using the shoulder excuse again.  Too funny!

sigpooie

Chaney is to blame for not seeing what he has and calling plays that this kid can't do. We should go tim couch the rest of the season (2 step throw) if we have to pass. This whole team has stepped us since last year but BA is stuck in high school. If this were a movie then it's time for the offensive line to kick BA butt and make a man of him since the  coaches are not doing it. Some one also needs to teach him to bend his knees when running. That's why he goes down so easily. Jezz has this kid ever had a good coach?

trashcan maN

If you want to see an inept QB, look at Driskel. BA isnt goimg to carry us to many wins, but hes decent. Missed some throws and made some nice throws.

If it makes you so miserable, stop watching. Pasttimes are supposed to be enjoyable.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogcam on October 19, 2014, 09:18:54 am
If you are honestly blaming Allen on that play, then you have never played football and have no clue what you're talking about. You just love to hate Brandon Allen

I've played and coached a lot of football.  If you have the ability to watch the play, you'll see a quick pitch hitting a running back high on his face mask.  If you want to blame the running back for the high pitch, go ahead. 

Running backs need to catch high pitches.  But Collins doesn't get the blame for that fumble.

Idahog

Quote from: nchogg on October 19, 2014, 07:15:36 am
This lose is not on any 1 player. It was a team lose on both offense and defense.

Coach speak, non-commital hippy talk.  If we had a better developed QB, we would be 5-2 as a team.  I don't blame BA, I blame his lack of development over the years. 
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

BallHog1

Quote from: secfan30 on October 19, 2014, 08:35:17 am
To answer the question in the title, the reason he is bashed is because most people have never stepped on a football field much less stepped behind a center.

These same people bashing BA right now would crap themselves the first time a ball was in their hands, the were dropping back seeing your top two targets fully covered while being rushed by 4-6 fast guys that are bigger than you.
Best post of the thread and possibly of the entire weekend

showme

Quote from: hogcam on October 19, 2014, 01:51:32 am
Come on man, surely you know that the QB is THE most important position on the team. Your offense will live or die with the success or failure of your QB. They showed numerous replays yesterday of receivers running wide open and BA never saw any of them. He does not see the field well. He does not have good pocket presence (you know, that internal clock that a QB must have that says "OK, time to get rid of the ball now, it's been too long"). He does not go thru his progressions to secondary receivers well. He is not consistently accurate with many of his throws being too high.

Bottom line is you may not be able to pin the entire loss on him but of all the players out there, he carries the biggest burden and therefore the biggest blame. If you don't like it, you better stop following football because it will always be this way.

arktravlr

Quote from: spiritof92 on October 19, 2014, 03:02:29 am
This

hogfan10

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on October 19, 2014, 02:57:13 am
You witnessed a good team win today with good QB play. He made the throws that cost us to lose. Just when we were catching up he would throw a TD pass of beauty.

The day we get a QB that can make those throws and the receivers that can catch them will be the day the Hogs start winning championships. We have some tight ends and a couple of receivers that can make those catches. They just need the ball to get there.
I saw a good team with a QB very similar to Allen, difference was one was throwing to wide open receivers, the other was having to throw to covered receivers. Except for a few plays, when replays were shown, everyone was covered.

Chuck Beavers

Quote from: sigpooie on October 19, 2014, 09:12:04 am
he should get the same treatment his other teammates get when they turn the ball over. Bench.

Very true. Other players get benched when they make mental mistakes. Not Brandon. I wonder how the other players feel about that double standard?

hogfan10

Quote from: showme on October 19, 2014, 09:57:51 am
Did you not see the replays showing our WR's running open on several different plays ? Wide open man. Come on man, try to be subjective. It's as if you are placing ZERO blame on Allen.

I did on occasion, one time was on a WR screen. A. Ware pointed out hatcher on a seem route on this play, problem with that was it was a WR screen, a called play with linemen blocking downfield. There were other open receivers not thrown to as well. On any given play there might be two or more open receivers, in those instances the QB usually throws to the first option in his progression.

LSPRazorbac

Brandon Allen is the type that will always keep it close but never find the way to win.

When the game is tight, he is always gonna make those handful of mistakes (fumbled snap, taking big sacks, fumbling the ball on snaps, interception, missing wide open receivers) that keeps us from winning.

Under stress, he panics and shuts down.  Defensive coordinators know this.  All defenses have to do is load the box and sell out on the run.  While doing that rush 5-6 players on passes.  D Coordinators play the averages that BA will not make the play and sooner or later make a few mistakes that are detrimental.

3 fumbles yesterday (not counting the pitch) one returned for a td and 2 interceptions.  Missed wide open receivers and poor throws off his back foot.....that is what defenses are relying on.