Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who thinks putting Rafe Peavey

Started by Prestworthy, October 18, 2014, 11:29:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rzrbackramsfan

I don't think rafe would complain.  Rafe might be a baller, though, even if he went in now.

LSPRazorbac

Question:

Did redshirting Austin put him in a better position to beat Brandon out this year?

If we go 5-7 this year, will we look back at this season and kick ourselves for not getting experience to any of our other QBs?

BrokerHawg

There is a reason Peavy is not playing. He didn't win the job when it counted. All everyone has is his school clips to look at versus inferior competition. I am high on Peavy also but not until his skill set is good enough to play in the SEC. IF CBB thought he could win a game for him-he would have already played.

onebadrubi

Anyone saying play peavy.  Go find me 3 true freshman that have excelled agianst the type of defenses we have seen this year. 

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 19, 2014, 12:23:17 pm
Anyone saying play peavy.  Go find me 3 true freshman that have excelled agianst the type of defenses we have seen this year. 

It is not about excelling!

Its about getting experience and looking to the future.

NO ONE thinks Peavey comes in here and leads us to a 5 game winning streak.

The idea is to let him and Austin get some game experience so that we have more options going into next season.

BA's advantage now is solely that he is the only one with experience....do we want to be in this scenario again next year.

woodhog14

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 18, 2014, 11:29:06 pm
Into the game late vs UAB is a bad idea?  Who things he should be playing instead of BA?  Just curious.  I think Peavey has more upside than Austin, and could be playing pretty well now if CBB would give him a shot.  I know I'm not the coach, blah blah blah, but who thinks BA is not the answer for this season or next?  I was baffled at his decision making.  My flag football QB in grad school made better decisions than BA does.

If you would have seen Peavey in the Spring Game and the Fall Scrimmage that was open to the public, you wouldn't be saying this. Peavey is nowhere near ready. He didn't look very good. In my opinion, Peavey will never start here. BA will start again next year, and in 2016 Ty Storey will take over as starter as a Redshirt Freshman and be the starter throughout his career here.

HogPsych

I had high hopes for him. He may develop but did not look good in the preseason red-white game. Nowhere near ready then.

DukeOfPork

Guys, this is just dumb.  It's an ignorant discussion to have at Game 8 of a 12 game season.

YOU DON'T BURN A KID'S REDSHIRT IN GAME 8.

Do you guys even watch football?  I sometimes wonder.

Kevin

Quote from: woodhog14 on October 19, 2014, 12:54:58 pm
If you would have seen Peavey in the Spring Game and the Fall Scrimmage that was open to the public, you wouldn't be saying this. Peavey is nowhere near ready. He didn't look very good. In my opinion, Peavey will never start here. BA will start again next year, and in 2016 Ty Storey will take over as starter as a Redshirt Freshman and be the starter throughout his career here.

did you see him with the 1's? or the mix of 2's & 3's
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

razorcash2

Maybe someone should call in to one of Nutt's shows and ask his opinion?

I'll hang up and listen.

HogWildBison2011

This won't happen. Red Shirt will be kept and they will consider red shirting Ty Storey as well. I do expect to see an open competition every year.

Darren DeLoach

Funny stuff in this thread.  Brandon will finish his career out, barring injury, as the starter.  Austin may well be a career back up, so much for the supposed daddy leverage. I think Peavy is a transfer candidate. Storey is the future at the quarterback position. Yes, this is ALL OPINION.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

LZH

HF#1

You don't  just bench your qb to get another qb experience...  You just don't do it.  Austin might get garbage time should our lead be comfy enough.

We are stockpiling.  Like it or not, it will payoff in the future.  It's not something you are used to because none of our other coaches had the patience to do it.  This one does and it's the right thing to do.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hogsanity

Here is the problem for everyone screaming about getting another QB some experience, the only way to to do it is with on the job training.  While that is easier at RB, or WR, it is not easy with a QB. It is why you rarely see a True Fr Qb play, unless he is a freak or it is due to multiple qb's being injured, and almost just as rare to see a RSFR qb play and excel.

You can put  FR RB in the game and say here take the handoff and run this way.  You can tell a wr to run a go or a post.  A FR Qb has to do a whole lot more than that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: woodhog14 on October 19, 2014, 12:54:58 pm

The problem with evaluating Peavey based on the practices is that we didn't get to see what he is most talented at, and that is running the football.

LZH

Quote from: HF#1 on October 20, 2014, 11:25:34 am
It's not something you are used to because none of our other coaches had the patience to do it.

What are you talking about?  Nutt waited almost three whole quarters before he threw Mustain to the wolves!    :P

hogsanity

Quote from: LZH on October 20, 2014, 11:55:43 am
What are you talking about?  Nutt waited almost three whole quarters before he threw Mustain to the wolves!    :P

And hdn pulled CD's RS 8 or 9 games into the season. His 1st playing time was against South Car in Nov of 2005.   
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

WarPig88

Into the game late vs UAB is a bad idea?  Who things he should be playing instead of BA?  Just curious.  I think Peavey has more upside than Austin, and could be playing pretty well now if CBB would give him a shot.  I know I'm not the coach, blah blah blah, but who thinks BA is not the answer for this season or next?  I was baffled at his decision making.  My flag football QB in grad school made better decisions than BA does.

Unless he is ready to start for the rest of the season, burning Peavey's rs now would colossally unintelligible.

crabeyes

Next year we will have the same post inserting Ty Storey into the title. It never ends....

Youngsta71701

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on October 18, 2014, 11:59:09 pm
I meant to say if peavey doesn't get a fair shot next year. I agree with redshirting him this year but my gut tells me we are in for another year of BA next season because he has "experience" and he will be a senior and most importantly politics.

And you know for a fact that Peavey is or will be better than Brandon Allen?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

jm

No reason to remove the redshirt this late in the year. We are not playoff bound; we may not even be bowl game bound.

jusgtohogs

QB play is not why we lost the game.  I'm not defending BA, but there's more than enough blame to go around for the loss against GA.  Take a deep, cleansing breath and move on.

DeltaBoy

It sure as hades can not hurt to put him or AA in.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Augustus

Pig In The City

IntegrityHog

It's not going to happen.   CBB doesn't want to throw a young player to the wolves in the tough SEC.  That's why Brandon will start the rest of this year no matter what, barring injury, and will start all next year as a 5th year senior.  That way, when Austin takes over in 2016, he'll have had 3 full seasons to prepare. 

Rafe will never see the field here, and will probably be transferring after this season.

Pig In The City

Ryan Mallett has spoiled Hog fans!

DukeOfPork

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 20, 2014, 01:18:21 pm
It sure as hades can not hurt to put him or AA in.

Cannot hurt?  It absolutely would hurt and would be damaging to Rafe's career here because you would shorten it by one year.

Why burn a redshirt in Game 8?  The only reason you would do that is if you wanted to chase him out of here in 4 years so that you could free up a scholarship.

It's a monumentally dumb idea.

I'm all for giving AA some meaningful snaps against UAB.

hogsanity

TeedupHigh

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 19, 2014, 08:33:29 am
What people never wanted to admit when Peavey was being recruited is the classification he played in would cause him to have a major adjustment when he got here. Storey will go through the same thing next year. My guess is BA is the starter again next year then the following spring A. Allen, Peavey, and Storey will battle for the starting job.

If Ty Storey is the answer we have major problems! He don't play against anyone, no competition at all, the entire offense is "rollout right, roll out left!"

IntegrityHog

Another thing about Peavey.

If you play him now, as a true freshman, one bad game could ruin him for good.  Brandon still hasn't recovered from the Alabama game in 2012.

Choctaw Hog

Playing Peavy this year in any game is not only a bad idea it's idiotic. He will be better as a redshirt freshman, a 3rd year sophomore, a 4th year junior, or a 5th year senior than he would be as a true freshman.

No need to waste a year on him just so people like you can "thump their chests" over the accomplishments of others. Remember, Manziel saw his first college action as a redshirt freshman.

IntegrityHog

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on October 18, 2014, 11:59:09 pm
I meant to say if peavey doesn't get a fair shot next year. I agree with redshirting him this year but my gut tells me we are in for another year of BA next season because he has "experience" and he will be a senior and most importantly politics.

I think that Brandon is next year's starter no matter what.

Kevin

Let' s say we go 1-7, or 0-8 in the league this year, how do you sell the fan base on another year of BA at qb
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

texas tush hog

Quote from: Kevin on October 19, 2014, 11:37:03 am
or 2016 playing a totally inexperienced qb,

Worked wonders for Johnny Manziel and Jameis Winston.

Marshfieldhog

Quote from: Kevin on October 20, 2014, 02:42:15 pm
Let' s say we go 1-7, or 0-8 in the league this year, how do you sell the fan base on another year of BA at qb

You don't, ticket sales will continue to sink. I'm surprised attendance has been as good as it's been. That isn't going to last forever. Wins need to come ASAP and that isn't going to happen under Allen.

Kevin

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 20, 2014, 02:53:30 pm

So which guy on campus, do you think can play like them

texas tush hog

Quote from: TeedupHigh on October 20, 2014, 01:30:14 pm
If Ty Storey is the answer we have major problems! He don't play against anyone, no competition at all, the entire offense is "rollout right, roll out left!"

I would say the odds are good that Storey redshirts in 2015.

texas tush hog

Quote from: Kevin on October 20, 2014, 02:54:33 pm
So which guy on campus, do you think can play like them

Apparently most on here believe Peavy can.

Kevin

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 20, 2014, 02:57:34 pm
Apparently most on here believe Peavy can.

I don't know what he or austin can do.  We know what BA can & cannot do

choppedporkextrasauce

What a stupid post.

onebadrubi

Quote from: texas tush hog on October 20, 2014, 02:53:30 pm

I love it when someone throws up this softball. 

Where is our mike evans, Kelvin Benjamin who is the panthers best receiver and going nuts.  FS had a shutdown bama style D last year and A&M had a senior laden skilled high drafted Oline. 

We currently have none of the above. 

IntegrityHog

Quote from: Corkscrew Johnson on October 19, 2014, 08:59:32 am
I think it is a terrible idea.   Besides the fact he is a true freshman and would struggle mightily like all true freshman do in the SEC, you would be burning a year of eligibility.  He is going to contribute astronomically more as a seasoned 5th year senior than he would in a few garbage snaps at the end of our 2nd rebuilding season.   Some of you guys really need to open your eyes to the fact that we are investing in the future, and we are going to endure some short term pain for long term gain.

Totally agree.  Better days are ahead!!!!!

IntegrityHog

Quote from: Kevin on October 20, 2014, 02:42:15 pm

Point out that we have a quality coach who knows what he's doing.  One who made it to 3 straight Rose Bowls, is getting paid millions of dollars a year to make decisions, and who knows more than fans who act like they are football experts.

pigskenG

I thought he would have a great chance to take over this year. But now is too late, don't waste his redshirt year unless Rafe is ok with it and he becomes the starter. Otherwise, open the spring and next fall to "the best one gets the job". The only exception is if an underclassman is just as good but no better than a senior in front of him, the senior gets the call, it's his last year as a Razorback.

hogsanity

Quote from: pigskenG on October 20, 2014, 03:50:54 pm
I thought he would have a great chance to take over this year. But now is too late, don't waste his redshirt year unless Rafe is ok with it and he becomes the starter. Otherwise, open the spring and next fall to "the best one gets the job". The only exception is if an underclassman is just as good but no better than a senior in front of him, the senior gets the call, it's his last year as a Razorback.

Ok, I am not knocking RP here, but really?  You thought a true Fr, from a mid sized classification in Mo was going to come in and start at a SEC school?  You really thought that?  With no alcohol or drugs?

LeadHog

I think it is a really bad idea to burn his redshirt with 6 games left in the season.  Letting him face competition would not be good for him, nor would it be good long term for the Razorbacks.

lumphog

I think they should move Skipper to QB    ::)

lrcentral

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 20, 2014, 01:20:47 pm
It's not going to happen.   CBB doesn't want to throw a young player to the wolves in the tough SEC.  That's why Brandon will start the rest of this year no matter what, barring injury, and will start all next year as a 5th year senior.  That way, when Austin takes over in 2016, he'll have had 3 full seasons to prepare. 

Rafe will never see the field here, and will probably be transferring after this season.

3 seasons of holding a clip board? How does that help? Different year same song. Are these QBs magically going to start reading defenses and making difficult throws? When people have to go with stats that were inflated with the cupcakes is when you know you have a horrible QB.