Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who thinks putting Rafe Peavey

Started by Prestworthy, October 18, 2014, 11:29:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

onebadrubi

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 21, 2014, 10:06:42 pm
Parody in sec play? What's that even mean?

He's mimicking was Danny Kernel always says when it comes down to FSU vs the SEC. 

RockyMtnHog

We will lose a QB by 2016.  Peavey, AAllen and Storey are all very good and will want playing time.  There are only so many snaps in practice and a game to go around.

If Peavey moves ahead of AAllen next year, Allen may move on to UCA or some other school.  Storey may be a 4 star but it will take him a while to get use to the SEC speed of the game.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: TexomaRazorback on October 21, 2014, 10:42:51 pm
Wish Hogville had a favorite button

Ahh...stick around awhile, and I'll say something that will piss you off and you'll wish there was a "hate that guy" button.   ;D

Everyone hates to lose.  There are varying degrees.  Up until the past few years, I was the kind who wanted to bury my putter up to the handle if I missed a putt for even a small wager on the 18th hole, or I would be completely intolerable for the remainder of a Saturday and some of Sunday when the Hogs lost. 

But...this year for whatever reason, I've mellowed.  I still hate to see our kids lose, but I feel it for them...not myself anymore.  I cannot imagine what it would be like to put in that many hours toward something, and put your body through that type of torture, and continue to fail like they have the past two seasons.  I know it builds character, but we have kids on that team who have character in spades who are ready to WIN a big football game. 

They will...and when it happens, even the most pessimistic Hog fan should feel good about it for the kids out there wearing the jerseys.  I know I will... 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LZH on October 21, 2014, 10:47:56 pm
I was thinking more along the lines of "Scary Movie / Housewives of the SEC"..............

I can see where you would think that.   :D

Today on drive time sports Rainwater's theme was centered on our lack of team speed.  And yes...I listen to that show from time to time.  He said it was glaringly obvious versus UGA. 

After awhile, I started to get annoyed, because it never seemed to dawn on him that we had key players out, ejected, and not to mention that with our lack of depth on defense, coming off a hard fought battle with Bama, it seems reasonable to me that they might not be at 100%. 

So at times, even though I'm frustrated with the losing like everyone else, context plays a big part in what's going on.  It's as simple as...look who we're playing every week.  We're much better, but still not good enough unless we play our absolute best, and they give us some gifts.  That's exactly what Bama did, and we almost made 'em pay. 

But hasn't that always seemed to be the issue with Arkansas.  Great defense...poor offense.  Great offense...poor defense.  Decent on both...horrible special teams. 

People can sugar coat it all they want, but if we could kick a field goal this season...we beat Bama in all likelihood. 

But the answer for some fans...is to bench BA.  I've said it before, and I'll say it again.  I don't see what it could possibly harm to give Austin some snaps out there to see how he reacts to the game pressure, and let him get some experience.  But burning a redshirt...nawh. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

LZH

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 21, 2014, 11:01:06 pmBut hasn't that always seemed to be the issue with Arkansas.  Great defense...poor offense.  Great offense...poor defense.  Decent on both...horrible special teams.

Ain't that the dang truth?  I mentioned this a while back when there was a conversation on BP's lack of attention to defense.  We just can't seem to put it all together in the same season....not even once.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: LZH on October 21, 2014, 11:10:08 pm
Ain't that the dang truth?  I mentioned this a while back when there was a conversation on BP's lack of attention to defense.  We just can't seem to put it all together in the same season....not even once.

Crazy right?  Why couldn't Hocker have had just one more season?  Why????  :(

I haven't heard much other than a casual mention, but is it true we have some stud kicker who was rated as one of the best in the nation that we're red shirting?  If so...what's the deal?  What development does a kicker need?  I have to admit, I'm confused by that if he's that heralded. 

Dang...run him out there Bret, and maybe he'll help us win a game for all the Sr.'s who I'm sure are sick and tired of the losing and criticism. 

Mike Irwin

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 21, 2014, 11:33:13 pm
Crazy right?  Why couldn't Hocker have had just one more season?  Why????  :(

I haven't heard much other than a casual mention, but is it true we have some stud kicker who was rated as one of the best in the nation that we're red shirting?  If so...what's the deal?  What development does a kicker need?  I have to admit, I'm confused by that if he's that heralded. 

Dang...run him out there Bret, and maybe he'll help us win a game for all the Sr.'s who I'm sure are sick and tired of the losing and criticism.
Not hard to figure at all. Bielema is not going to take shortcuts for temporary gain. They felt a year in the weight room would make Hedlund a much better kicker down the road.

Imagine a home builder who says, we gotta have this place ready for an open house next month. Cut some corners and make it happen.

The house looks good the day it's purchased. A few years down the road it's got cracks in the walls and the roof leaks.

TNRazorbacker

Horrible idea burning a redshirt on a QB this late in the season. If they thought the kid was the best option he'd already be playing.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 22, 2014, 05:16:25 am
Not hard to figure at all. Bielema is not going to take shortcuts for temporary gain. They felt a year in the weight room would make Hedlund a much better kicker down the road.

Imagine a home builder who says, we gotta have this place ready for an open house next month. Cut some corners and make it happen.

The house looks good the day it's purchased. A few years down the road it's got cracks in the walls and the roof leaks.

And Mike, I wouldn't want him to.  I like how he's running things, and he knows that he needs 5th year Sr.'s out there to contend in the SEC with our recruiting history.  I'm sure he HOPES he can turn that around long term, but I like that he's hedging his bets by red shirting kids whenever possible. 

I guess I'm just a little surprised about a kicker.  I would think that it's mostly about leg speed, and adding core strength and a little weight should be able to be achieved as he goes along.  I guess I'm just a little puzzled by the benefits of red shirting a kicker, unless there's an obvious problem converting from HS, a nagging injury, or some obvious weakness that has him not even competitive with the other kickers on campus. 

And admittedly...that very well may be the case.  Maybe he just didn't measure up, and they felt he couldn't help and maybe a year of practice and dedication to training would benefit him.  My guess is that he didn't show up nailing 50 yarders like breaking sticks, standing out over the other kicker and wow'ing everyone, or he'd be out there.  But...that's just a guess.  ;)   

Prestworthy

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 22, 2014, 05:16:25 am

But coaches can and do make mistakes.  I love what CBB is building here in the run game and on defense, but I think he's in error with the QB decision.

PonderinHog

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 21, 2014, 10:06:42 pm
Parody in sec play? What's that even mean?
Not what you think it means ???

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 22, 2014, 10:28:02 am
But coaches can and do make mistakes.  I love what CBB is building here in the run game and on defense, but I think he's in error with the QB decision.

I'm going to ask it again: why do you think that we have can't miss, stud quarterbacks standing on the sidelines? 

24/7 Sports High School Rankings for Quarterbacks:
Brandon Allen      #7 QB in 2011 class   Played in Arkansas 7A
Austin Allen        #18 QB in 2013 class   Played in Arkansas 7A
Rafe Peavey       #19 QB in 2014 class   Played in Missouri 4A

They were given the chance to beat out BA and did not get it done.  If we had an unmistakeably phenomenal talent waiting behind him, then I would agree with you. 

Brandon is currently the best QB on campus.  People can't seem to wrap their heads around that fact for some reason.

DukeOfPork

I feel like Rob Reiner trying to explain to the Spinal Tap guitarist that putting an "11" on your amp doesn't make it any louder.

onebadrubi

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 22, 2014, 10:36:47 am
I'm going to ask it again: why do you think that we have can't miss, stud quarterbacks standing on the sidelines? 

They were given the chance to beat out BA and did not get it done.  If we had an unmistakeably phenomenal talent waiting behind him, then I would agree with you. 

Brandon is currently the best QB on campus.  People can't seem to wrap their heads around that fact for some reason.

Their memory is such short term, thats why.  All they remember is the Hype around the recruitment on Peavy or Storey.  Yet they forget the national praise and coaches in to see the Allens.  Can't talk them out of their oblivious opinions. 

hogsanity

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 22, 2014, 10:36:47 am

Because people always think the backup is better than the starter, for some reason. Don't forget, there were people that actually posted that said TW should be playing in front of RM at some points in Rm's two years of playing.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

DukeOfPork

Quote from: hogsanity on October 22, 2014, 10:51:32 am
Because people always think the backup is better than the starter, for some reason. Don't forget, there were people that actually posted that said TW should be playing in front of RM at some points in Rm's two years of playing.

I totally forgot about that.  You are exactly right.  There were guys who had a major axe to grind because Petrino was "stubbornly sticking with Mallett and relegating the more deserving Wilson to the sidelines".

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on October 22, 2014, 10:51:32 am

Hell, three weeks ago people were calling for NE to bench Brady go Garoppolo.

Fans aren't always the smartest or most logically minded people.

Oklahoma Diamond Hog

In my opinion we very well may see Rafe transfer to swmizzou state or something. We have seen it all before....qb's transfer when everything shakes out. I think Storey will be the man after BA completes his senior year. As for the UAB game, this coaching staff says that AA has earned to #2 and it would go against everything coaches do to not put AA in the game if there is an opening to do so.

hogsanity

Quote from: Oklahoma Diamond Hog on October 22, 2014, 11:16:11 am
In my opinion we very well may see Rafe transfer to swmizzou state or something. We have seen it all before....qb's transfer when everything shakes out. I think Storey will be the man after BA completes his senior year. As for the UAB game, this coaching staff says that AA has earned to #2 and it would go against everything coaches do to not put AA in the game if there is an opening to do so.

Qbs transfer all the time.  Early in the season, maybe week 2 or 3, seemed like every game I watched at least one of the starting qbs was a transfer from somewhere else.

If a team signs a qb every year, that means they have at least 4 on scholarship at all times, thats three that are not getting to play. If you only have 4 rbs on scholarship, you are undermanned. The Hogs played 4 or 5 at either Tb or Fb last week. You can play 6 or 7 wrs in a game.  Qb though, not so much.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

onebadrubi

Rafe will not transfer this offseason.  He came here knowing it would be a longshot and possible in need of an injury to see the field this year.  The guy is retaining all the can at the moment and gearing up to come out in bowl and spring practices to fight for the job.  Storey will be in this position next year.  QB's have so much to learn in the film room, weight room, locker room, and on gameday that to play and compete is just too much.  Talent will prevail after that redshirt year for a QB.  We will have a three way QB push next year and it will be interesting.  Remember in the recruitment Rafe was all hog when we didn't even have a coach!  The guy loves the program tremendously, some people do committ to a program above anything else! Jwill comes to mind here as well. 

DukeOfPork

Quote from: onebadrubi on October 22, 2014, 11:33:46 am
Rafe will not transfer this offseason.  He came here knowing it would be a longshot and possible in need of an injury to see the field this year.  The guy is retaining all the can at the moment and gearing up to come out in bowl and spring practices to fight for the job.  Storey will be in this position next year.  QB's have so much to learn in the film room, weight room, locker room, and on gameday that to play and compete is just too much.  Talent will prevail after that redshirt year for a QB.  We will have a three way QB push next year and it will be interesting.  Remember in the recruitment Rafe was all hog when we didn't even have a coach!  The guy loves the program tremendously, some people do committ to a program above anything else! Jwill comes to mind here as well. 

I live in Missouri and I would love to see Rafe make it big at the UA.  Actually, I was kinda pulling for him to win the job this year. 

But I know that Missouri 4A is some weakass competition.  It was a big jump from Bolivar to the SEC. 

Hopefully, he will be ready to push BA for the job this Spring.  Regardless of who wins it, we'll be better off if he makes a push.

CareBear

IDK about putting Rafe in this year but I just heard a guy on the radio say that CBB has said that BA will start EVERY game as long he is on Campus. Wowie wee-waa!!!!! My goodness gracious this is absolutely a ridiculous statement if true. Competition is a good thing!!!! BA has no fear of EVER being benched...its insane. I have never seen an AR QB given this long of a leash, nor can I remember the media giving a guy such a pass. Something seems to be amiss up there at the Broyles complex. Weird & a bit disconcerting to say the least!  :razorback: ::hornsdown:: ;)

Mike Irwin

Quote from: CareBear on October 22, 2014, 01:51:49 pm
IDK about putting Rafe in this year but I just heard a guy on the radio say that CBB has said that BA will start EVERY game as long he is on Campus. Wowie wee-waa!!!!! My goodness gracious this is absolutely a ridiculous statement if true. Competition is a good thing!!!! BA has no fear of EVER being benched...its insane. I have never seen an AR QB given this long of a leash, nor can I remember the media giving a guy such a pass. Something seems to be amiss up there at the Broyles complex. Weird & a bit disconcerting to say the least!  :razorback: ::hornsdown:: ;)
Nothing odd about it at all. Brandon Allen is a 4th year junior. His brother is a redshirt freshman. Rafe Peavey is a true freshman. This team is not going to get better by playing a rookie QB.

CareBear

I'm not here to be on the right side of history. I want the team I grew up loving back to a respectful level at a minimum. That's not too much to ask from a guy at 3m/yr with golden handcuffs to boot. Excuses are running low and becoming redundant if not ridiculous...we shall see how the cookie crumbles my friends. If anything it should be an interesting journey for all to say the least!  :razorback: ::hornsdown:: 8)

hogsanity

Quote from: CareBear on October 22, 2014, 03:05:11 pm
I want the team I grew up loving back to a respectful level at a minimum.

Define respectful level.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: CareBear on October 22, 2014, 03:05:11 pm
I want the team I grew up loving back to a respectful level at a minimum. That's not too much to ask from a guy at 3m/yr...

If you want to make an issue out of his salary then we should expect our team to be the 6th or 7th best in the SEC.

Well, after only a year and a half, we're getting close to that level already.  Unfortunately, we're playing only the toughest teams in the SEC this year, so the wins aren't coming yet.

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/sec-head-coaches-salaries-2014/

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 22, 2014, 10:28:02 am

And you base that off what?

Prestworthy

bphi11ips

Quote from: Oklahoma Diamond Hog on October 22, 2014, 11:16:11 am

Rafe Peavey had no illusions about doing anything other than redshirting this year, nor should Ty Storey have any illusions about what he will be doing next year.  Mitch Mustain wanted to redshirt.  Jameis Winston redshirted.  Johnny Manziel redshirted. 

If Rafe Peavey transfers it won't be to the likes of SW Missouri.  Check his offer list and YouTube the Under Armour game.

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 22, 2014, 02:29:21 pm
Nothing odd about it at all.

Not sure what you were referring to.  Are you saying there is nothing odd if Bielema said Brandon Allen will start every game as long as he is on campus?
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Prestworthy

Why would Peavey transfer?  He could beat the Allen bros. out next season.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 22, 2014, 03:58:41 pm
Why would Peavey transfer?  He could beat the Allen bros. out next season.

He could beat out Austin Allen, but it is going to be tough to beat out a RS Senior QB who has a lot of SEC experience. He is going to have to blow away BA in practice to win that spot.

Brandon Allen is on pace to finish the 2014 season with 2220 passing yards, 23 TD's, 7 INT's. Does that look like the numbers of a QB that is in serious need of replacing...especially with a RS Freshman?

Prestworthy

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 22, 2014, 04:01:48 pm
He could beat out Austin Allen, but it is going to be tough to beat out a RS Senior QB who has a lot of SEC experience. He is going to have to blow away BA in practice to win that spot.

Brandon Allen is on pace to finish the 2014 season with 2220 passing yards, 23 TD's, 7 INT's. Does that look like the numbers of a QB that is in serious need of replacing...especially with a RS Freshman?
On pace is considering the defenses of Nicholls, NIU, and TTech that Allen has already played.  I don't see him throwing for more than 2k yards or 20 TDs

PorkRinds

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 22, 2014, 05:06:21 pm
You seem obsessed with the thought that there's a better QB on campus than BA.  By extension, you're saying that our entire coaching staff does not possess the ability to recognize that BA is not the best option, and without seeing practice, you are convinced that YOU know they're making a huge mistake. 

While BA may not be the second coming of Peyton Manning, you may want to at least recognize that things could certainly be worse with any of the other options. 

I would like to see Austin get some snaps.  I don't see the downside.  I like his poise, but I'm not fooling myselif into thinking that he wouldn't make some boneheaded decisions due to lack of experience.  If BB doesn't give him some reps in some of the easier games next year, then that's as huge miss on his part.  We need to develop someone to step in when BA leaves after next year.

Dude. You're talking to a guy that  swore up and down that Korliss marshall was the best back on then team and alex Collins was chubby.

Athog

Could save a lot of money on coaches with all on here.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 22, 2014, 05:54:01 pm
And you seem obsessed about arguing with me!

Well, if you think suggesting that replacing BA with an unproven QB that obviously isn't beating him out in practice is the solution, then I guess I'm arguing. 

Fayettechill14

Georgia kept the starters in, continued to play man defense, and blitzed with a similar frequency in the 2nd half. No, they didn't have the same sense of urgency since they were up 32 at the half, but they didn't "play prevent" as some on here are suggesting.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 22, 2014, 07:50:08 pm
Georgia kept the starters in, continued to play man defense, and blitzed with a similar frequency in the 2nd half. No, they didn't have the same sense of urgency since they were up 32 at the half, but they didn't "play prevent" as some on here are suggesting.

Chill...would you at least concede that they took less risks?  I saw less deep passes that required slower developing plays, and there were times that they took very little risk when they had poor field position.  I think there was definitely some, "Let's don't screw up and give them any help" mentality going on. 

But I definitely feel we played better.  I truly think the missed extra point and the TM penalty caused a loss of focus.  With time, they got over it and seemed to put it behind them.  It was just too late by that point. 

onebadrubi

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 22, 2014, 07:54:48 pm
Chill...would you at least concede that they took less risks?  I saw less deep passes that required slower developing plays, and there were times that they took very little risk when they had poor field position.  I think there was definitely some, "Let's don't screw up and give them any help" mentality going on. 

But I definitely feel we played better.  I truly think the missed extra point and the TM penalty caused a loss of focus.  With time, they got over it and seemed to put it behind them.  It was just too late by that point.

Smalls, you could also say and support that their risk blitzs were to stop the run.  They knew they could play gap control with 5 in the box and sending a CB was to try and get to a RB feet by the time he hits the line or flush a QB.  If you know someone is going to pass with consistency you aren't going to send corners.  Stopping a corner blitz ona  team that is going to throw it on you is not playing soft, its playing right and smart.  They put 7 in the box 4 DB's usually because htey knew we were going to throw. 

Choctaw Hog

October 23, 2014, 04:57:52 am #288 Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 07:08:22 am by Choctaw Hog
Quote from: Prestworthy on October 22, 2014, 03:42:01 pm
Base what off what?

He is in error with the QB decision.  You base that statement on what?   
That's pretty straightforward.

I.e., you are a known QB expert and have been with all the QB's to break down film and watch them perform every day in practice.  Therefore, in your vast knowledge and expertise you think Bielema is wrong with the QBs.

I just want to get a perspective oo your experience so I can determine if you really know what you are talking about or are full of $hit like 99.9% of the posters on here who criticize the coaches and their decisions.

MountieDawg

Rafe May never start a game with Ty Storey coming and Brandon having another year.
SEC!

razorsharptusk

Isn't Rafe one of the reasons we got Gragg and KJ to come on board?
GO HOGS!!

PorkRinds

Quote from: razorsharptusk on October 23, 2014, 07:46:12 am
Isn't Rafe one of the reasons we got Gragg and KJ to come on board?

That would be Storey.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 23, 2014, 08:06:31 am
That would be Storey.

Rafe did plenty of recruiting as well.  He'll get a shot, just like everyone else.  Peavey's mobility is a big plus.

Prestworthy

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on October 23, 2014, 04:57:52 am
He is in error with the QB decision.  You base that statement on what?   
That's pretty straightforward.

I.e., you are a known QB expert and have been with all the QB's to break down film and watch them perform every day in practice.  Therefore, yyoour vast knowledge and expertise you think Bielema is wrong with the QBs.

I just want to get a perspective of your experience and Belima's so I can determine if you really know what you are talkie about or are full of $hit like 99.9% of the posters on here who criticize the coaches and their decisions.
For the same reason Dick Vermeil was wrong about Kurt Warner in 1999.  It happens. 

For the record, BA looked ok in the first half, but looked rough in the 3rd quarter.

buldozer

Its too late in the season to burn his red shirt now... and the season is toast for the most part anyway. Now next season if he doesn't get a legitimate shot and this type performance is repeated, the coach will be on the hot seat.

Prestworthy

Quote from: buldozer on October 25, 2014, 10:14:24 pm
Its too late in the season to burn his red shirt now... and the season is toast for the most part anyway. Now next season if he doesn't get a legitimate shot and this type performance is repeated, the coach will be on the hot seat.
Agreed.  Anyone else think he would be he #2 QB if he wasn't a true freshman?  I think AA got the #2 spot because coaches really wanted to redshirt Rafe. 

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 25, 2014, 10:04:38 pm
For the same reason Dick Vermeil was wrong about Kurt Warner in 1999.  It happens. 

For the record, BA looked ok in the first half, but looked rough in the 3rd quarter.

Vermeil had an experienced QB in Trent whats-his-name, and Warner was not game proven at all.  Even if Warner looked better in practice, and there's no way you know if he did or not, it's understandable that he wanted to go with experience.  Then the injury...and the rest is history. 

Right now...BB is doing the same thing.  He's going with the proven entity.  Maybe we have a "gamer" on the bench, but we could also have something that would put us in worse shape. 

I don't think anyone is saying it's not possible.  They're just saying they understand where BB is coming from. 

redeye

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 18, 2014, 11:37:56 pm
It would be ridiculous to burn Rafe's redshirt.

We'll see what he can do in the Spring.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 27, 2014, 06:48:34 pm
Vermeil had an experienced QB in Trent whats-his-name, and Warner was not game proven at all.  Even if Warner looked better in practice, and there's no way you know if he did or not, it's understandable that he wanted to go with experience.  Then the injury...and the rest is history. 

Right now...BB is doing the same thing.  He's going with the proven entity.  Maybe we have a "gamer" on the bench, but we could also have something that would put us in worse shape. 

I don't think anyone is saying it's not possible.  They're just saying they understand where BB is coming from.

Vermeil was no expert.  He signed Marky Mark and let him play special teams, for cryin out loud.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 27, 2014, 06:54:23 pm
Vermeil was no expert.  He signed Marky Mark and let him play special teams, for cryin out loud.

Me thinks you've watched too many movies.   ;)