Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Who thinks putting Rafe Peavey

Started by Prestworthy, October 18, 2014, 11:29:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Prestworthy

Into the game late vs UAB is a bad idea?  Who things he should be playing instead of BA?  Just curious.  I think Peavey has more upside than Austin, and could be playing pretty well now if CBB would give him a shot.  I know I'm not the coach, blah blah blah, but who thinks BA is not the answer for this season or next?  I was baffled at his decision making.  My flag football QB in grad school made better decisions than BA does.

WashUhog6

I think putting Peavey into a game at this point is a waste and would only be burning his redshirt. Brandon Allen simply gives us the best chance to win right now, while Peavey needs time to grow.

We don't really have an option right now at QB outside of Brandon Allen. I believe we need more from the QB position to win in the SEC, but that QB isn't ready yet. We can't burn his redshirt and throw him in there just to be even less effective than Allen. True freshman QBs rarely play well, and I'm sure Peavey would be no different.

As for 2015? I sincerely hope that it is a truly open competition and Peavey gets a fair shot to win the position.

DukeOfPork

It would be ridiculous to burn Rafe's redshirt.

We'll see what he can do in the Spring.

Prestworthy

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 18, 2014, 11:37:56 pm
It would be ridiculous to burn Rafe's redshirt.

We'll see what he can do in the Spring.
Yeah it would be silly to burn his redshirt, but how valuable would it be for Rafe to get playing time NOW instead of waiting?  I don't think Rafe is good enough to go pro as a junior, so he would have 3.5 years to play.  Each time BA snaps the ball is a wasted opportunity for a QB with a better upside to gain game experience.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Prestworthy on October 18, 2014, 11:42:46 pm
Yeah it would be silly to burn his redshirt, but how valuable would it be for Rafe to get playing time NOW instead of waiting?  I don't think Rafe is good enough to go pro as a junior, so he would have 3.5 years to play.  Each time BA snaps the ball is a wasted opportunity for a QB with a better upside to gain game experience.

Rafe will never make it to the NFL.  So keeping his redshirt is what we want so that he is a seasoned veteran in his 5th year.

Seriously guys, the backup QB is always the fans' favorite player on the team.  This is such a cliche'.  If you are frustrated with BA losing close games, just imagine how frustrated you would be with the guys who couldn't beat out BA leading our team to blowout losses every week.

1 hog n eldo

I have read on here that Bobby Allen has no pull and there is no politics involved in the Allen brothers being in the position they are in. But if peavey doesn't get a shot this year and Brandon is the starter next year I call bs.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on October 18, 2014, 11:45:57 pm
I have read on here that Bobby Allen has no pull and there is no politics involved in the Allen brothers being in the position they are in. But if peavey doesn't get a shot this year and Brandon is the starter next year I call bs.

PEAVEY IS BEING REDSHIRTED.

Only an idiot would blow his redshirt at this point in the season.

That is a Nutt panic mentality.

Sueie

Could Austin not learn the system by being there as long as he has?  Hopefully we get a BIG lead on UAB and Austin can get in the game.  If he can not move the chains against UAB then maybe it is time to go in another direction.

onebadrubi

Brandon Allen's worst part of his football career was being thrown to the wolves too early.  You can't continue to do this and except different results.  BA is what we get for the remaining of the year baring an injury which would not be good for us!  Next year the QB battle will be wide open. 

1 hog n eldo

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 18, 2014, 11:48:14 pm
PEAVEY IS BEING REDSHIRTED.

Only an idiot would blow his redshirt at this point in the season.

That is a Nutt panic mentality.
I meant to say if peavey doesn't get a fair shot next year. I agree with redshirting him this year but my gut tells me we are in for another year of BA next season because he has "experience" and he will be a senior and most importantly politics.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Let Hedlund kick an extra point too and burn both RSs?

LSPRazorbac

So the plan is for Rafe to be our guy all the way through his 5th year.....then Storey will take over for 1 year.

Kinda sucks for Storey!

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: theenemy on October 19, 2014, 12:06:03 am
So the plan is for Rafe to be our guy all the way through his 5th year.....then Storey will take over for 1 year.

Kinda sucks for Storey!

Don't you think it will be AA then Rafe then Ty?

hogsanity

Anyone who thinks pulling any rs at this point is a good idea is really has no understanding at all of the purpose of redshirting. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

downsouthhawg72

With Ty coming next year playin Rafe now will not hurt a thing. It gets him ready for next season early. I would also burn the kicker RS also.
DownSouthHawg

ChicoHog

how does anyone on here know Peavey would be better?  He hasn't played in a game yet.  there is no way of knowing.  Let him redshirt, get more reps in the spring and then see what the fall brings.  I still believe BA will be the QB next year.  If someone beats him out then that's fine but i just don't see it happening.

doc53

Not sure Peavey can beat out Storey
I was THERE for the Pooch Kick

Hogarusa

Last year, folks wanted to burn Austin's redshirt and put him in place of Brandon.  Now people want to burn Rafe's refshirt and put him in over Austin and Brandon.  Naturally next year, people will want Ty to burn his redshirt and put him in over Brandon, Austin and Rafe.

Thats how it goes
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Etowah

Just and opinion based on what I saw of RP as a HS QB...and what I know of Storey....RP will never be the starter at Arkansas.

As someone above mentioned...the backup is always very popular...until he becomes the starter.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Evidently the coaches think that putting Peavey in now, is not a good idea.  Since they are the ones that have been conducting practice all year, I would guess they are correct.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

carolinahogger

Quote from: Etowah on October 19, 2014, 12:41:05 am

As someone above mentioned...the backup is always very popular...until he becomes the starter.

Fans never change and never learn.  I remember fans in the stands yelling for Broyles to put in Eichler.

The_Iceman

No. Peavey will bring nothing more than BA. No need to waste the redshirt. BA is not the reason we are losing.

cypert2

I can't believe this is even being discussed.
Swinging on the two and the four.

secfan30

At this time of the year this is would be wasting his redshirt.

Tim Harris

What people never wanted to admit when Peavey was being recruited is the classification he played in would cause him to have a major adjustment when he got here. Storey will go through the same thing next year. My guess is BA is the starter again next year then the following spring A. Allen, Peavey, and Storey will battle for the starting job.

Carl Lazlo

It's not a waste if he can take us bowling.  That extra month of practice can really help.  I'd put the freshman kicker out there too.  We'd probably already have a couple more wins with the All American foot.

The Galloping Ghost

I'm going to go ahead and ask this question, since this thread is completely devoid of any logical thought...

Rate played at a much smaller school and played against  lesser competition than Brandon or Austin and quite frankly wasn't as good as either of them, so why would he be better playing in the SEC as a true freshman with those facts in mind???
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

Carl Lazlo

Quote from: Tim Harris on October 19, 2014, 08:33:29 am
What people never wanted to admit when Peavey was being recruited is the classification he played in would cause him to have a major adjustment when he got here. Storey will go through the same thing next year. My guess is BA is the starter again next year then the following spring A. Allen, Peavey, and Storey will battle for the starting job.

Which each would have little to no game experience.  Sounds horrible

Pig Worshipper

I really like Brandon Allen and hope he is successful. If there was a better quarterback on campus he would be playing instead of Brandon. I think playing him wounded last year against SEC competition was a mistake because it seems to have robbed him of the self-confidence needed to be a successful SEC quarterback.
Rafe Peavey may be the answer but there's no way they'll burn his redshirt. And, for whatever reason, it does appear that Coach Bielema really likes and believes in Brandon Allen and will probably start him in every game next year as well. Don't know much about our quarterback recruits but, if I were Coach B, I would focus like a laser beam on finding the best dual-threat quarterback in the country and do everything in my power to get that young man to Arkansas. Even Jeff Long will not be able to save Brett Bielema's job if we have a third straight season like this one.

Locutus_of_Boar

Your Razorback team for the rest of this season is the one that took the field for the 2nd half yesterday.

Their quarterback is Brandon Allen.

texas tush hog

Jameis Winston and Johnny Manziel were both redshirt freshman when they won the Heisman trophy, just sayin.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on October 19, 2014, 08:37:25 am
Which each would have little to no game experience.  Sounds horrible

It happens all over the country every year. Very rarely will your new aqB have much game experience when he first takes over the job.

Kevin

last year & this year is should never have been about winning, but building a program for the future.

i hate the statement he gives us the best chance to win now. we have not won. imho, is should be, who is the best player to help us build the program.

i am not for burning rs now. but, i a younger guy has played, then those guys need to be taking the bulk of the in game snaps. it is time to play the guys who can help build the program, that includes the qb. play austin, find out if he can play.

i would have played austin last year, instead of our now tight end. all these quarterbacks are not going to stay around and wait till their rs junior year to play.

let's say we don't make a bowl game this year,
next year, ba starts, maybe win 7 games
so year 4, this program would have endured 2 miserable years, and a mediocre one, then would be starting a new qb.

that is why i hoped cbb would have chosen one of the younger guys to start in the spring.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

gmarv

I think we need to get rafe out their so we can start looking for the next great qb backup.we could then enjoy dissing rafe after the team loses the first game hes in.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

Quote from: 1 hog n eldo on October 18, 2014, 11:45:57 pm

If you haven't burned his redshirt already you certainly don't do it now.
Let's make some waves.

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 19, 2014, 08:11:08 am
No. Peavey will bring nothing more than BA. No need to waste the redshirt. BA is not the reason we are losing.

On something we finally agree!
Let's make some waves.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Carl Lazlo on October 19, 2014, 08:34:48 am
It's not a waste if he can take us bowling.  That extra month of practice can really help.  I'd put the freshman kicker out there too.  We'd probably already have a couple more wins with the All American foot.

Whose gonna secretly sneak that tee out there for him to kick off of though?

checkraiser88

LOL at the people that think QB is the problem with this team. First grade thinkers on here

Corkscrew Johnson

I think it is a terrible idea.   Besides the fact he is a true freshman and would struggle mightily like all true freshman do in the SEC, you would be burning a year of eligibility.  He is going to contribute astronomically more as a seasoned 5th year senior than he would in a few garbage snaps at the end of our 2nd rebuilding season.   Some of you guys really need to open your eyes to the fact that we are investing in the future, and we are going to endure some short term pain for long term gain.

Hoggie17

Quote from: Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson on October 19, 2014, 08:53:28 am

If you haven't burned his redshirt already you certainly don't do it now.
Thats correct, This year is a lost cause no reason in burning a redshirt, but next year I would like Jim Chaney gone and Peavey or someone with legs as the starter.

Quote from: Hoggie17 on October 19, 2014, 08:59:38 am
Thats correct, This year is a lost cause no reason in burning a redshirt, but next year I would like Jim Chaney gone and Peavey or someone with legs as the starter.

With the offense they are trying to run ( if it stays the same offense) they sure better have a QB with wheels! 
Let's make some waves.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: gmarv on October 19, 2014, 08:51:23 am
I think we need to get rafe out their so we can start looking for the next great qb backup.we could then enjoy dissing rafe after the team loses the first game hes in.

Gmarv, good one +1

ChicoHog

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 19, 2014, 12:18:24 am
Last year, folks wanted to burn Austin's redshirt and put him in place of Brandon.  Now people want to burn Rafe's refshirt and put him in over Austin and Brandon.  Naturally next year, people will want Ty to burn his redshirt and put him in over Brandon, Austin and Rafe.

Thats how it goes
Great post.  the backup QB is always the most popular player on any team that is struggling. 

LSPRazorbac

At this point, I just think we should give Austin Allen the start and let Rafe split time with him so that we can get both of them some experience.

I think you can be smart with Rafe and put him in at the right times and bring him along without throwing him to the wolves.

The idea of going into next year with BA being the only QB with any meaningful experience scares the hell out of me.

Kevin

Quote from: theenemy on October 19, 2014, 11:34:14 am
At this point, I just think we should give Austin Allen the start and let Rafe split time with him so that we can get both of them some experience.

I think you can be smart with Rafe and put him in at the right times and bring him along without throwing him to the wolves.

The idea of going into next year with BA being the only QB with any meaningful experience scares the hell out of me.

or 2016 playing a totally inexperienced qb,

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Laughing Hog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on October 18, 2014, 11:59:50 pm
Let Hedlund kick an extra point too and burn both RSs?

I think we should just go for the trifecta and throw JoJo's redshirt in with these other two [sarcasm off]
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Exit Pursued by a Boar

Seven games into the season, I don't put Rafe in.  I'd play BA, AA, AJ and DuWop first. If they all go out on a stretcher, then I put him in. Next year, things will be interesting.  I suspect BA will win the competition, but I also suspect the competition will be open.  Like him or not, CBB wants to win.  He's recruiting to win and he's coaching to win. Just aint happening against the good and not so good (A&M) teams.  ---Yet.

EFBAB

onebadrubi

Why do people not see the massive arrogance and football program blunder in this thinking?  You do this and you have 3 QB's next year fighting for the same 3 years of football playing eligibility (A. Allen, Peavy, and Storey).  You immediately will see a transfer if not two and it won't be the guys with the least eligibility left.  We have a game coming up that we need to get some guys healthy, need to execute well and we will be 4-4.  That is two games away from being bowl eligible having LSU and Mizzou left along with the magnolia schools who will slip up at some point, I think.  see below

Rank our opponents left worse to best:
UAB at home
Mizzou away
LSU HOME!
OLEMISS HOME!
Miss st away. 

you start playing QB shake up,  none of those are guaranteed wins, none of the conference are even looking good.  The RS is not coming off Peavy unless we lose both Allen's to injury, it's not happening and it would not be good for the program.  Get over it move on. 

rhog1

It wouldn't really be fair to Rafe at this point to throw him out there. Why waste an entire year of eligibility for limited playing time in 5 games in what is probably going to be a bowl less season anyway. Let Brandon and Austin take the snaps if needed. No point in burning a year of eligibility this time of year if there isn't an injury to one of the other two.

Harleigh Hog

Quote from: Kevin on October 19, 2014, 08:49:13 am
last year & this year is should never have been about winning, but building a program for the future.

i hate the statement he gives us the best chance to win now. we have not won. imho, is should be, who is the best player to help us build the program.

i am not for burning rs now. but, i a younger guy has played, then those guys need to be taking the bulk of the in game snaps. it is time to play the guys who can help build the program, that includes the qb. play austin, find out if he can play.

i would have played austin last year, instead of our now tight end. all these quarterbacks are not going to stay around and wait till their rs junior year to play.

let's say we don't make a bowl game this year,
next year, ba starts, maybe win 7 games
so year 4, this program would have endured 2 miserable years, and a mediocre one, then would be starting a new qb.

that is why i hoped cbb would have chosen one of the younger guys to start in the spring.

These are my thoughts exactly!

I started a thread last week asking the same questions. This is the reality that I see happening. Year four of CBB's tenure will most certainly be a do or die situation. I realistically don't see us being any better next year than this one as far as wins and losses due to a brutal conference road schedule. Barring a turn around that defies logic the fan base will be out in force to fire CBB, which means the administration will probably be able to hold him for one more year (due to super expensive contract setup if fired).  During that pivotal last year we will be starting a young, talented, but unproven QB in Storey, Peavey. This situation just doesn't give me the warm and fuzzies about our future.

Thus my long range prediction that CBB is gone after four years and the next coach comes in and goes on a tear with a lot of really good talent that CBB assembled but fell victim to the timing of their arrival.