Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why we are losing

Started by devildoghawg, October 18, 2014, 09:03:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuttcracker, Sweet!

We don't create turnovers. That is HUGE, the #1 stat in football is turnover ratio. We haven't been turning it over that much until the last two games, but we DON'T TAKE THE BALL AWAY!

Some of it is lack of talent/depth in the back seven on defense, some is lack of experience in some players. Toliver has looked good, but got burned badly today. The tackling looked like last year, terrible.

Our WRS don't get open enough, forcing a lot of throwaways. BA holds the ball too long at times, doesn't anticipate throws as well as we need him to. A lot of throws are just a split second late, giving the defense time to close on the receiver.

The pass blocking the last two games has been terrible. BA is getting hit a lot and that takes a toll on any QB. Our complete failure to pick up CBs blitzing today was critical. #5 blitzed over and over in the 2nd quarter, we didn't pick it up.

With all that said, the #1 reason we are losing and have lost 16 straight SEC games is TURNOVER MARGIN. Teams that are -2 or more in a game very rarely win. In these games, we are almost always at least -1. -4 against anyone is a certain loss.

Penalties are killing us also. Not necessarily the number although that is a problem. It seems nearly every penalty we get gives the opponent a first down or negates a good play for us.

I don't know how UGAs strategy would have been different without a 31 point lead at half, but the first quarter was 7-6, the difference being the blocked PAT and we outscored them 26-7 in the 2nd half. Thus, we won or broke even in three quarters if we could make an extra point, but 31-0 in the 2nd quarter!!!???

When will this team ever figure out that a college football game is 4 quarters and SIXTY MINUTES?
Making fun of Hootie since 2003

davglo35

Phil Steele has said that the #1 reason for a team either having a winning or losing record is turnovers. We have been so close but havent turned the corner. We have peeked around the corner a few times. We peeked around it Saturday and got hit in the mouth!

moses_007

BA was responsible for all 4 turnovers...two interceptions, a fumble that was picked up by Georgia and resulted in Georgia's 38th point, and then the bad pitch to Collins. I first thought Collins dropped it, but in looking at the replay, it appeared to be an errant pitch by our quarterback.

spiritof92

The pitch that hit Collins in the hands was a bad pitch?

10thPlanet

Quote from: devildoghawg on October 18, 2014, 09:03:27 pmWe are still two years away from doing something special...get over it.  Either be a fan, or don't.
What is the special thing? I think I'll be a fan, thanks for the permission.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: devildoghawg on October 18, 2014, 09:03:27 pm
Id love to hear all the coach/player haters give a legitimate reason on why they want everyone gone, outside of losing games.  Here's the facts:

Coming into the season...we were expected to win...wait for it, ZERO SEC games...ZERO.  What makes you think that we are going to sneak a win in on Top 10 SEC competition.  We are still two years away from doing something special...get over it.  Either be a fan, or don't.

Being a fan doesn't mean you can't complain about them making mistakes. They all make mistakes. Coaches and players are not perfect. It is called learning. We are in a learning stage of playing some really good teams close we should be be losing by more points.

In the back if my mind I thought Georgia could whip us pretty good. They did. However the Hogs didn't quit and gave it a try to come back. Too little too late. We lost the game in the first half.

jkstock04

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on October 18, 2014, 11:11:58 pm
Oh good Lord. Will the excuses never end?
In life, the excuses for failure will always be there if you need them to be.

Personally, I'm the type of guy that accepts responsibility for my shortcomings....but for a lot of people, they blame every single variable around them for each and every life stumble.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

farmhawg

We got exactly what we hired, stomps teams weaker and struggles mightily with teams that are better. He will never be anything else.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

dagnamit

This system would not win the 7A west conference championship.

RoughRider Fan

Maybe CBB should donate half of his $5M salary to charity until he can produce a winning team???  Jeff Long...nice job!

alohawg

Saban would win some SEC games with this team.....this year. CBB needs to look in the mirror......maybe? maybe his game is as flabby and unimpressive as what he sees every morning? Shape up or ship out sooner than later? This patience thing is guaranteed to work.......nope.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

goneal

Quote from: orvillesghost on October 18, 2014, 10:28:40 pm
We are overmatched in this conference

No I am not saying we should leave it but I do doubt we can ever recruit well enough to really compete at a high level.

The league seems to get better and better and we were having a hard time matching it even before it did....

Incredible that people are STILL using the recruiting excuse. Ever been to Manhattan KS Starkville Ms, Oxford MS, Waco Tx or College Station, Tx? Those places can't hold a candle to NWA. Get a new excuse. This one doesn't play anymore.
To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.

TeedupHigh

Reason we are losing is because of depth and that is caused by terrible recruiting over the past years, saying it is because of our schedule is silly, you got to play the west in order to win the west.  Can't win the west without playing them. Maybe you think we need to change conferences.............

TeedupHigh

Quote from: RoughRider Fan on October 19, 2014, 10:19:41 am
Maybe CBB should donate half of his $5M salary to charity until he can produce a winning team???  Jeff Long...nice job!
Even better job by little bobby petrino!  And I do think Jeff did a great thing by running his ass off.  That is you point right?

Youngsta71701

Usually the 3rd year of a coaches tenure is when their teams make the most strides. I'm looking for us to really start turning the corner next year. I said that when he was first hired.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Redhogs

Quote from: redeye on October 18, 2014, 09:39:35 pm
As bad as we lost, our game was closer then any other SEC game today and it's not even close.  Missouri destroyed Florida in the Swamp 42-13, Alabama destroyed A&M 59-0, LSU is beating Kentucky 41-3 and Ole Miss is beating Tennessee 34-3.  Just one of those weekends, I guess.
Wrong...the true score was 38-6. The second half was pure garbage time for Ga...they quit taking the game serious, it was obvious if you watched it.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Quote from: goneal on October 19, 2014, 10:33:46 am
Incredible that people are STILL using the recruiting excuse. Ever been to Manhattan KS Starkville Ms, Oxford MS, Waco Tx or College Station, Tx? Those places can't hold a candle to NWA. Get a new excuse. This one doesn't play anymore.
Thank you.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

farmhawg

Another Moral victory by some.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

UAROCKDOG

Quote from: alohawg on October 19, 2014, 10:30:27 am
Saban would win some SEC games with this team.....this year. CBB needs to look in the mirror......maybe? maybe his game is as flabby and unimpressive as what he sees every morning? Shape up or ship out sooner than later? This patience thing is guaranteed to work.......nope.
tough words

uams1989

Quote from: TheRazorback500 on October 18, 2014, 11:51:50 pm
One reason we lost today was because we underestimated our opponent. Last week all the talking heads were saying that Georgia wasn't that good and that we'd just have us a big Little Rock throwdown and roll 'em. Well, someone forgot to tell the Dawgs. We made Hutson Mason look like an All-American, and their pass rush wore Allen out. The difference in talent and depth was obvious. Turnovers and penalties compounded the problem. We've made progress in some areas, but we got a long way to go.

:razorback:

This, and, IMO UGA has a chip on their shoulder right now because everyone was saying that without Gurley, they weren't likely to win another game.  That and the fact that the same people are saying the worst team in the West would beat the best in the East became a buzz-saw if you will for Arkansas.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

jcharkansas

Quote from: farmhawg on October 19, 2014, 11:59:45 am
Another Moral victory by some.....
That avatar is a dead ringer