Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

will Bielema ever go with a different QB? is there no scenario?

Started by Arkansaspost1686, October 18, 2014, 06:53:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PonderinHog

Quote from: Danny J on October 18, 2014, 08:22:56 pm
The play that sticks out the most to me was the pass in the second half to Walker 8 yards behind the LOS with a DB bearing down on him..BA had to see it as there was nobody in his line of sight and he still threw the ball. Glad Walker had the good sense to not catch the ball. I couldn't believe he tried to make that pass. Terrible decision.
Go back and look at that play again.  He also had a wide open receiver at the five yard line, IIRC.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: PonderinHog on October 18, 2014, 09:41:26 pm
Go back and look at that play again.  He also had a wide open receiver at the five yard line, IIRC.

There was a lot of that going on in this game.
This is my non-signature signature.

d1nonlyhogfan

More experience does not automatically equal better, even at the QB program. My argument about BA as starter is centered on 2015. There is zero chance that a 4th year Jr magically gets better before his 5th year. More WRs will not help him go through his progressions better- check, I'd love it if be actually went through a progression for once. BA has better protection than at least half the SEC. We have a freaking NFL offensive line for crying out loud!
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

Hogarusa

Quote from: S.A.D.C on October 18, 2014, 09:13:17 pm
Why is everyone so convinced that RP is better than BA?  Seriously asking here- have you seen practices or was he really good at fall camp or something? 

I think 80% of this board have never seen him play in person.  I have seen a 20 minute highlight film on youtube
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

grayhawg

Here is what I think happens, in 2015 barring injury BA will be QB. If Storey redshirts next year then in 2016 we will have redshirt soph Peavy or redshirt frosh Storey as QB and AA will probably transfer.

MushroomCloudHog

Quote from: ballz2thewall on October 18, 2014, 08:00:26 pm
ba spent most of the game under extreme pressure, and most of the time that he had time, our WR's

we just made mistakes and it's hard to dig out of that.

The pressure is there bc no defense respects the passing game.  If any of you were a Defensive Coordinator,  would you put pressure on Brandon Allen?  Of course you would. One strategy and only 2 possible outcomes:
1. Hit him early and often = win for the other SEC team
2. You keep the pressure on him the best you can to at least stay close, and he'll either fumble,  throw a pick or not be able to move the chains in the 4th quarter = win for the other SEC team.

Xterrahogfan

QuoteThere is not a better QB on this team right now than Branson Allen. He wasn't the biggest problem today.

Who the hell is Branson Allen? Is there another Allen brother??

PonderinHog

Quote from: d1nonlyhogfan on October 18, 2014, 10:04:07 pm
More experience does not automatically equal better, even at the QB program. My argument about BA as starter is centered on 2015. There is zero chance that a 4th year Jr magically gets better before his 5th year. More WRs will not help him go through his progressions better- check, I'd love it if be actually went through a progression for once. BA has better protection than at least half the SEC. We have a freaking NFL offensive line for crying out loud!
If we had an NFL offensive line right now I don't think we'd be having this discussion, but the potential for some of these young linemen to play at the next level is there.

root_hawg

It doesn't help that the OL is banged up and there isn't much depth there yet

Arkansaspost1686

Quote from: Danny J on October 18, 2014, 06:58:07 pm
I made the same points in the vent thread. You can't sit players for fumbles and allow Allen to get away with it. It sends a bad message. You can't not play Ragnow because of a concussion even though he was cleared to play because of "player safety" while at the same time play a obviously injured BA. Eating cake too and all........

this is my worry.  I'm not high on BA's skill anyway but I can also objectively say that it's not good for the team that BA never is 'football punished' like everyone else is after getting taken out.

losing makes teams frustrated and the blame game is easy.  i imagine some of the team loses trust in BA if he always keeps playing after every mistake.

lasthog

Quote from: hawgzzfan1152 on October 18, 2014, 07:31:15 pm
He runs a 4.5 40 how is that not fast enough? dak prescott,johnny Manziel run a 4.5, and Nick marshal ran a 4.6 Some of the best running QBs in the country.

Not to quibble,  but Marshall is considered to be a 4.4 guy, low of 4.38, high, 4.59.
P.S. I hate Awburn.

goneal

To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.

Arkansaspost1686

at the end of the season we can say...

the answer is a resounding NO!

there is NO SITUATION where Brandon does not play.

I think rafe should probably transfer.  no way he gets a fair shot with another Allen brother next in line.   coach' sons have that perk I guess

arktravlr

Quote from: GaryHog on October 18, 2014, 06:59:19 pm
I know this if Brandon Allen is the quarterback next year we're not going to be turning any corner and coach B will be gone.
Agree on the first part, not on the second...that's just asinine.

Athog

Brandon was hurt period. Why do you play a player if his injury impacts his and the team's performance.

OLDHOG

navyhog24

If BA is starting Qb next year, then I will have given up all hope before he plays a single game

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Arkansaspost1686 on November 28, 2014, 05:33:51 pm
at the end of the season we can say...

the answer is a resounding NO!

there is NO SITUATION where Brandon does not play.

I think rafe should probably transfer.  no way he gets a fair shot with another Allen brother next in line.   coach' sons have that perk I guess

Austin played last week....what are you guys talking about?
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Arkansaspost1686

Quote from: Athog on November 28, 2014, 05:36:07 pm
Brandon was hurt period. Why do you play a player if his injury impacts his and the team's performance.

I know !!!

I respect mike Irwin and the insiders but when they say there is no favoritism towards coach Allen's sons I cannot believe them. There is no explanation why bielema does this

cypert2

If he's right handed and gets compound fracture of right arm, possibly pulls him.Compound fracture of left arm, think he stays in m
Swinging on the two and the four.

Arkansaspost1686

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on November 28, 2014, 05:39:16 pm
Austin played last week....what are you guys talking about?

only when Brandon was physically on the ground/in the locker room with doctors. 

if ba was not with a doctor you'd bet he be sent in. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Arkansaspost1686 on November 28, 2014, 05:39:25 pm
I know !!!

I respect mike Irwin and the insiders but when they say there is no favoritism towards coach Allen's sons I cannot believe them. There is no explanation why bielema does this

?  Did you want Rafe's RS burned?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hoghearted

It's not so much favoritism to the Allens as it is a reluctance to put a 'green' QB in this sort of game situation. Bielema likes to play it safe. In this instance, I believe he royally screwed up. He likes to tout player safety, but when his own player was hurt, he left him out there to take a beating.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

Dominicanhog

BA will start every game next year, if only from a stability standpoint.  If  CBB pulls him and AA fails, we have nothing.  He thinks he can win 8-9 with BA next year.. continue to recruit.. that stability buys him this class and one more and AA, Rafe and even Storey would then have a nice platform to start from experience and depth around them.  2016 is the next big QB decision for Hog fans.. and who they sign next year.. I look for them to sign 2 in 2016.

Arkansaspost1686

Rafe or Ty are nothing?

Freshman QBs can do fine.  Better than BA's 2-14 SEC record

Granny fan

Ramtough

Quote from: Arkansaspost1686 on November 28, 2014, 05:51:38 pm
Rafe or Ty are nothing?

Freshman QBs can do fine.  Better than BA's 2-14 SEC record
As long as BA is there he will start. Storey will RS and If Peavey can't get PT next year he may have been a complete miss.

navyhog24

Quote from: Ramtough on November 28, 2014, 06:03:19 pm
As long as BA is there he will start. Storey will RS and If Peavey can't get PT next year he may have been a complete miss.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Rafe transfer if the Allens are no. 1 and no. 2 next year

Horthawg

Apparently there is no scenario that warrants bringing in the back-up qb.
Once a Hog-ALWAYS A HOG!

BassinHawg

Quote from: navyhog24 on November 28, 2014, 06:04:50 pm
I wouldn't be surprised to see Rafe transfer if the Allens are no. 1 and no. 2 next year

Rafe transfer and Ty go somewhere else!
"It is what it is." has replaced "Yesssss Sirrrrr!!!!"

BrassNunchucks

Quote from: IowaHog on October 18, 2014, 07:02:49 pm
I said all last year while everyone pissed and moaned about Derby that Derby was as good if not better than Allen.  Stats back that too.  My reasoning then was that coach couldn't dump a local for an Iowa kid that coach basically brought with him.  Poo would hit the fan big time.  I  Still think BA is in over his head and hope we have something better in mind for the future.  (shrug)

Um, A.J. Derby is demonstrably NOT better than Brandon Allen at playing quarterback in football. If you said that for a full year and weren't trolling, that's a uniquely curious thing to believe. I think any reasonable Arkansas fan at this point would agree that Allen, injured or not, is a frustrating player to watch and that his younger brother and Peavey should be given legit shots at the starting position.

Arkansaspost1686

Sadly Rafe should transfer and Storey look elsewhere. 

I think the writing is in the wall we are stuck with Allen brothers until what 2017?

"But it has nothing to do with his dad as the coach"

BrassNunchucks

Quote from: Dominicanhog on October 18, 2014, 07:07:05 pm
I think he wants to establish stability... he doesn't want to throw a QB to the wolves and shake his psyche... I think BA will play a lot more QB over the next 2 years though I would expect to see others get ops during that time.. We may see AA early next week, possbly 3rd or 4th series.

The loss sucks after today, and man I am ready for them to open up the competition for real in the spring. But you can see his thought process. Tennessee and Vandy played multiple QBs this year, and look where that got them. When you know who the guy is, it creates stability and continuity, and even if the guy isn't the most talented, it's beneficial for the team.

Still, want to see how spring plays out.

BrassNunchucks

Quote from: Granny fan on October 18, 2014, 07:10:55 pm
I'm tired of hearing about a young quarterback being "thrown to the wolves!"  Other SEC schools start freshman QB's and they are successful!!  Why is this ALWAYS an excuse???

Ms. Granny -- respectfully, which freshman QBs are you referring to? I'm not aware of many. It's still pretty rare.

razorbackchamps94

Brandon Allen will be starter in 2015 .. And 8 wins is max

Dominicanhog

PigPusher

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 18, 2014, 07:01:32 pm
DON'T YOU KNOW BRET BIELEMA IS PAID $3M A YEAR? DON'T YOU THINK BIELEMA IS PLAYING EVERY PLAYER AT EVERY POSITION WHO HE THINKS GIVES ARKANSAS THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN EVERY GAME?!!!!

No I do not.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

root_hawg

Why would the man risk a $3 million / year job to not start the person he feels gives him the best hope to win???

geauxhawgs

There is one trait Rafe has that jumps off the page to me that BA, AA, and Storey don't have and it's a big one.... KILLER INSTINCT

Arkansaspost1686

root:

because he went with him since day 1. He'd be admitting failure to change QBs.  So he hopes for the best. I say this as a huge Bielema supporter

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Arkansaspost1686 on November 28, 2014, 09:45:20 pm
root:

because he went with him since day 1. He'd be admitting failure to change QBs.  So he hopes for the best. I say this as a huge Bielema supporter

Not today if AA had played.  He would be playing his backup because his starter was injured. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

CFB_Fanatic

Quote from: root_hawg on October 18, 2014, 07:09:04 pm
I'm telling you, I saw the kid play multiple times in HS, he isn't starting at Ark unless Storey falls and breaks his leg.

Sorry bud, high school aint the SEC. Especially Class AA in Arkansas, a state not traditionally known for great high school football talent.

Also, first post!!