Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

will Bielema ever go with a different QB? is there no scenario?

Started by Arkansaspost1686, October 18, 2014, 06:53:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkansaspost1686

I have been very tough on Allen before, but this is NOT a bash thread. It's just a simple question: coach seems determined to play Brandon no matter what -- Is there no situation when he says "let's try something different." 

Why has coach hitched his wagon to BA 100%?

He goes away from RB after fumbles.  Pulls receivers after poor effort.   Sits guys after dumb penalties.  But snap in snap out Allen is still there.   Makes me think there's something else going on -- but what?  Is everyone of our quarterbacks terribly worse than Brandon?  That's my guess.  again I am not bashing. I've done that before , but this is a legitimate question

Tsarcasm

maybe if both his arms fall off, and he breaks his ankle.
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." – Steven Wright

Danny J

Quote from: Arkansaspost1686 on October 18, 2014, 06:53:27 pm
I have been very tough on Allen before, but this is NOT a bash thread. It's just a simple question: coach seems determined to play Brandon no matter what -- Is there no situation when he says "let's try something different." 

Why has coach hitched his wagon to BA 100%?

He goes away from RB after fumbles.  Pulls receivers after poor effort.   Sits guys after dumb penalties.  But snap in snap out Allen is still there.   Makes me think there's something else going on -- but what?  Is everyone of our quarterbacks terribly worse than Brandon?  That's my guess.  again I am not bashing. I've done that before , but this is a legitimate question
I made the same points in the vent thread. You can't sit players for fumbles and allow Allen to get away with it. It sends a bad message. You can't not play Ragnow because of a concussion even though he was cleared to play because of "player safety" while at the same time play a obviously injured BA. Eating cake too and all........

GaryHog

I know this if Brandon Allen is the quarterback next year we're not going to be turning any corner and coach B will be gone.
Make America Great Again!!!!!!!

The_Bionic_Pig

Again Peavy's lack of knowledge of the entire playbook is the only....only reason he's not starting. Redshirt & Develop your "Mobile" QB along with your most highly recruited reciever...then add KJ Hill next season. 

Georgia lived in the Arkansas backfield 1st & 2nd Qtr until Chaney made Blocking assignment adjustments.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

spiritof92

Only other option is Austin Allen.  Pulling the redshirt off Peavey 8 games in would be extremely stupid.

bphi11ips

DON'T YOU KNOW BRET BIELEMA IS PAID $3M A YEAR? DON'T YOU THINK BIELEMA IS PLAYING EVERY PLAYER AT EVERY POSITION WHO HE THINKS GIVES ARKANSAS THE BEST CHANCE TO WIN EVERY GAME?!!!!
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

root_hawg

Peavy won't start next year or the year after.

The kid threw for 300 yards and 3 tds / 2 ints

Piggfoot

Quote from: Danny J on October 18, 2014, 06:58:07 pm
I made the same points in the vent thread. You can't sit players for fumbles and allow Allen to get away with it. It sends a bad message. You can't not play Ragnow because of a concussion even though he was cleared to play because of "player safety" while at the same time play a obviously injured BA. Eating cake too and all........
I know what you are saying but your example is not a good one. A concussion is a more serious situation. And maybe Ragnow was not ready. We only hear Coach speak.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

IowaHog

I said all last year while everyone pissed and moaned about Derby that Derby was as good if not better than Allen.  Stats back that too.  My reasoning then was that coach couldn't dump a local for an Iowa kid that coach basically brought with him.  Poo would hit the fan big time.  I  Still think BA is in over his head and hope we have something better in mind for the future.  (shrug)
"Dorks.  They look like a couple of dorks". 
-Quentin Tarantino, apparently when asked about Hooten and Danny...

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: GaryHog on October 18, 2014, 06:59:19 pm
I know this if Brandon Allen is the quarterback next year we're not going to be turning any corner and coach B will be gone.

Don't think for a second that the head coach--of any school--won't play the guy that gives the team the best chance to succeed.  There's simply too much money on the line for coaches, schools, communities, etc.

I like how CBB is building this...the losses suck, but the mere fact we care speaks volumes from where we were even just last year.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Cartoon Man

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

redeye

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 18, 2014, 07:01:03 pm
Again Peavy's lack of knowledge of the entire playbook is the only....only reason he's not starting. Redshirt & Develop your "Mobile" QB along with your most highly recruited reciever...then add KJ Hill next season. 

Georgia lived in the Arkansas backfield 1st & 2nd Qtr until Chaney made Blocking assignment adjustments.

So you think Peavy will start next year?  I'm skeptical that BA won't continue starting, but I'd love to other opinions.

Dominicanhog

I think he wants to establish stability... he doesn't want to throw a QB to the wolves and shake his psyche... I think BA will play a lot more QB over the next 2 years though I would expect to see others get ops during that time.. We may see AA early next week, possbly 3rd or 4th series.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: root_hawg on October 18, 2014, 07:02:24 pm
Peavy won't start next year or the year after.

The kid threw for 300 yards and 3 tds / 2 ints

Peavy is a serious run threat something Arkansas hasn't had since Jones..and exactly what Bielema played at Wisconsin.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

root_hawg

I'm telling you, I saw the kid play multiple times in HS, he isn't starting at Ark unless Storey falls and breaks his leg.

cosmodrum

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 18, 2014, 07:07:44 pm
Peavy is a serious run threat something Arkansas hasn't had since Jones..and exactly what Bielema played at Wisconsin.

Bielema did that for exactly one year with a transfer. Tolzien? Hardly a mobile QB.
Go away, batin'

S.A.D.C

This is rediculous- why do you guys think he is "loyal" to BA and leaving better options on the bench?  That is dumb!  The concern should be about why Rafe or Austin isn't close enough to make the call? 

Granny fan

I'm tired of hearing about a young quarterback being "thrown to the wolves!"  Other SEC schools start freshman QB's and they are successful!!  Why is this ALWAYS an excuse???

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: redeye on October 18, 2014, 07:05:46 pm
So you think Peavy will start next year?  I'm skeptical that BA won't continue starting, but I'd love to other opinions.

The 2nd half against Nicholls State ....yes I do.  Brandon is taking shots because he's not a runner - Peavy will either extend the play or take off for chunks of yardage like a 3rd RB.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

CDBHawg

What?

lamont7906

I wondered this for the longest time. Brandon
Will be back next year with Ty coming in next year
And with rafe on redshirt and Allen brother on
Back up it just don't make sense not to try other QB's out
and give them game experience for next year. I highly doubt he
Is that much better with a completion rate of 57. BA is
Not accurate and his decision making is not the best. I believe QB's
might transfer if they don't even get a shot to see what they can do.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Granny fan on October 18, 2014, 07:10:55 pm
I'm tired of hearing about a young quarterback being "thrown to the wolves!"  Other SEC schools start freshman QB's and they are successful!!  Why is this ALWAYS an excuse???

Umm you might want to see how many Junior/QB'S are playing in the SEC before assuming everyone has one.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

bphi11ips

Quote from: root_hawg on October 18, 2014, 07:09:04 pm
I'm telling you, I saw the kid play multiple times in HS, he isn't starting at Ark unless Storey falls and breaks his leg.

Wonder what Auburn, UCLA and Nebraska saw in him. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

cosmodrum

Quote from: Granny fan on October 18, 2014, 07:10:55 pm

Because we always need excuses. It's a staple of an also-ran program.
Go away, batin'

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: lamont7906 on October 18, 2014, 07:12:41 pm
I wondered this for the longest time. Brandon
Will be back next year with Ty coming in next year
And with rafe on redshirt and Allen brother on
Back up it just don't make sense not to try other QB's out
and give them game experience for next year. I highly doubt he
Is that much better with a completion rate of 57. BA is
Not accurate and his decision making is not the best. I believe QB's
might transfer if they don't even get a shot to see what they can do.

That scenario may be likely following Spring Practice (Especially for our current backup)
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: redeye on October 18, 2014, 07:05:46 pm

It completely logical that BA starts next season given the likely circumstances of the program.  That's not to say Peavey gets playing time and eventually becomes starter.  It's looking likely BB will be desperate for a very solid season.  The freshman QB better be special to trust him lead in those expectations...in the SEC. 

That said, if BB believes he's safe after next season, then we should throw Peavey in there day 1.  Or Storey for that matter.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: cosmodrum on October 18, 2014, 07:13:14 pm
Because we always need excuses. It's a staple of an also-ran program.

You play Peavy and we lose that game to Texas Tech...allow him to grasp THE ENTIRE PLAYBOOK
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Squealers

Not even close to the truth.
ESTEEMED HOGVILLE MEMBER # 5524,   Flying the Hog Flag from Crescent Beach in Connecticut!  
Remember...Freedom is NEVER Free. Proud US Air Force  Veteran -- Strategic Air Command/Air Force Communications Command, Giant Talk/Combat Crew Communications Air Traffic Controller.

S.A.D.C

Quote from: Danny J on October 18, 2014, 06:58:07 pm
I made the same points in the vent thread. You can't sit players for fumbles and allow Allen to get away with it.It sends a bad message. You can't not play Ragnow because of a concussion even though he was cleared to play because of "player safety" while at the same time play a obviously injured BA. Eating cake too and all........

You absolutely can and SHOULD when every one knows the guy behind him can't get it done.  It is easy to raise the standards when you have depth or even mediocre equality.  But when one player is clearly better than the next guy- well that guy gets some more rope.

If Jamaal Charles fumbles 4 times for the Chiefs he is on the bench and Knile is getting a lot of work.  When Alex Smith throws 4 picks you arnt going to see Chase Daniel.  Different position- different rules.   

razorson

exactly, he made his bed he will lay in it. BA is tough,but not a elite sec qb.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 18, 2014, 07:15:41 pm
It completely logical that BA starts next season given the likely circumstances of the program.  That's not to say Peavey gets playing time and eventually becomes starter.  It's looking likely BB will be desperate for a very solid season.  The freshman QB better be special to trust him lead in those expectations...in the SEC. 

That said, if BB believes he's safe after next season, then we should throw Peavey in there day 1.  Or Storey for that matter.

Spring practice and - or Fall practice will thin out the QB rotation.   
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: razorson on October 18, 2014, 07:18:27 pm
exactly, he made his bed he will lay in it. BA is tough,but not a elite sec qb.

He's not elite.  He's probably not SEC caliber.  However, even with him as starter, we should be bowling next season.  And that's all BB needs.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Tsarcasm

Quote from: root_hawg on October 18, 2014, 07:09:04 pm
I seen both kids play in high school Story cant take a hit , he is accurate, and has a good arm, but tends to over throw his receivers, and he cant run the ball very well. Rafe can take a hit, his arm may not be as good as storeys, but its good. he has good pocket awareness, and can scramble to make a play happen. my money is on Rafe
"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until they speak." – Steven Wright

S.A.D.C

Quote from: IowaHog on October 18, 2014, 07:02:49 pm
I said all last year while everyone pissed and moaned about Derby that Derby was as good if not better than Allen.  Stats back that too.  My reasoning then was that coach couldn't dump a local for an Iowa kid that coach basically brought with him.  Poo would hit the fan big time.  I  Still think BA is in over his head and hope we have something better in mind for the future.  (shrug)

Either you were dead wrong last year or you haven't been paying attention.  BA might not be very good.  He is absolutely better than AJ.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 18, 2014, 07:18:44 pm
Spring practice and - or Fall practice will thin out the QB rotation.   

Like most any other Spring practice.

Kevin

Cbb does not want to play young qb's. Go back and look at his track record.
I wish he would have chosen a young qb to grow up with this team & program
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

root_hawg

No way Rafe starts over AA or Storey, arm strength is not near either one and don't think he is fast enough to run in the SEC.

Hogfaniam

I am encouraged that they finally started throwing over the middle.  Brandon doesn't have enough arm to throw 40 yards across the field.  With derby, Henry and hatcher we should wear it out.  Get those linebackers out of the gaps and turn Collins and williams loose again.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

goneal

Quote from: Squealers on October 18, 2014, 07:17:38 pm
Not even close to the truth.

What part is not even close to the truth? That if BA starts next year we won't be turning the corner, that BB will be gone or both?
To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.

Hoggie17

Quote from: hawgzzfan1152 on October 18, 2014, 07:20:06 pm
I seen both kids play in high school Story cant take a hit , he is accurate, and has a good arm, but tends to over throw his receivers, and he cant run the ball very well. Rafe can take a hit, his arm may not be as good as storeys, but its good. he has good pocket awareness, and can scramble to make a play happen. my money is on Rafe
If you are correct them my money is on him as well.

CDBHawg

Once agin, what?

root_hawg

BB can not win a SEC game this year and go 6-6 next year and he will get an extension

BA will start next year, AA will be back up, TS will red shirt

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: goneal on October 18, 2014, 07:26:18 pm
What part is not even close to the truth? That if BA starts next year we won't be turning the corner, that BB will be gone or both?

We still go bowling, and that's turning the corner for this program.  Even if it's just 6 wins.  And BB gets a 4th year. 

Tsarcasm

Quote from: root_hawg on October 18, 2014, 07:22:56 pm
No way Rafe starts over AA or Storey, arm strength is not near either one and don't think he is fast enough to run in the SEC.
He runs a 4.5 40 how is that not fast enough? dak prescott,johnny Manziel run a 4.5, and Nick marshal ran a 4.6 Some of the best running QBs in the country.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: hawgzzfan1152 on October 18, 2014, 07:20:06 pm

I'm not saying that any of what you say isn't true, but there is a major difference between what kids do in high school and how they perform in the SEC. Everyone thought that BA was a "can't miss" simply because Petrino wanted him.

I would suggest that a better stance is "wait and see" on both of these kids. Neither have proved anything at the SEC level yet.
Go Hogs Go!

MushroomCloudHog

You can run the ball effectively.  A sophisticated offense with a QB in over his head his head? Dummy down the pass offense and put RP in. Matt Jones was a freshman too when he started getting serious playing time. Nutt wasn't an offensive genius and got that much.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 18, 2014, 07:31:52 pm
I'm not saying that any of what you say isn't true, but there is a major difference between what kids do in high school and how they perform in the SEC. Everyone thought that BA was a "can't miss" simply because Petrino wanted him.

I would suggest that a better stance is "wait and see" on both of these kids. Neither have proved anything at the SEC level yet.

and keep recruiting at least 1 every year until you have a winner.

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: hawgzzfan1152 on October 18, 2014, 07:31:15 pm
He runs a 4.5 40 how is that not fast enough? dak prescott,johnny Manziel run a 4.5, and Nick marshal ran a 4.6 Some of the best running QBs in the country.

No point in debating what THE COACHES ON THE HILL have raved about during practice...root_hog obviously knows more than they do...lol
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*