Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Player Pregame Tweets

Started by HogWildBison2011, October 18, 2014, 11:24:02 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on October 18, 2014, 01:39:46 pm
The saddest part of all of this is that I know who Ruth Sinor is.

Was she at Walmart?

PRJ

Pulled(PP)pork

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 18, 2014, 01:44:14 pm
Aaron, oh Aaron....Can you point out what is wrong here?

So did I.....Social media distracts. You can have people private messaging you, you can have unsavory people distracting you....on and on. Social Media should be forbidden on game days....until the game is over.

And I have to question anybody that doesn't agree with that has ever played a sport above the pee wee level.

PRJ
or some people have stronger minds than other??

PP

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on October 18, 2014, 01:38:22 pm
I played college athletics, however it was at a lower level.  There were many things on my mind the day of games and trust me, college students have much more on there mind.  But when it was time to play I focused on the game and played fine.  Fans that never played just don't have a clue.

Yeah, I played at the college level as well and though I went through my pre-game rituals of listening to a particular song by a particular group to help get me mentally ready (or so I was convinced as a part of the pre-game regimen) prior to the game, within two hours out, nothing interfered. The last two hours prior to any game was committed to getting taped, going over scouting reports again, focusing on individual responsibilties, going over game plans on down and distance, opponent tendencies, in other words, focusing on the game. Of course we didn't have "twitter' at that time, but I am doggone glad that we didn't, it would have been distracting.

But in all truth, these kids seem to be "twittering" more than two hours out, so maybe it is ok. Personally, I would choose to eliminate it entirely on game day, but I am not Bielema, so I have to assume that he knows best.
Go Hogs Go!

LSPRazorbac

Quote from: aar0n on October 18, 2014, 01:21:26 pm
So now we are TOO focused?

More like too much anxiety.

I knew a coach that says if you are ready to play a 7 o'clock game at 2 o'clock in the afternoon you are in big trouble.

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 18, 2014, 01:44:14 pm
Aaron, oh Aaron....Can you point out what is wrong here?

So did I.....Social media distracts. You can have people private messaging you, you can have unsavory people distracting you....on and on. Social Media should be forbidden on game days....until the game is over.

And I have to question anybody that doesn't agree with that has ever played a sport above the pee wee level.

PRJ
Well we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.  I could be thinking about god knows what very close to game time, but when it was time to take the field, baseball was all that was on my mind. 

I just can't imagine an Arkansas player taking 10 seconds to make one tweet is going to effect the outcome of the game or take his focus away from wanting to win.  Sorry.

Pulled(PP)pork

sheesh, in hs we were talking about who we were banging after the game or where the keg party was going to be, right before game time.....we made state btw

PP

aar0n

I just composed a tweet 2x longer than Jackson's in all of 13 seconds.  I probably have to get in the car and drive somewhere in about 6 hours, it totally ruined my focus in preparing for that.  Hope everything goes ok!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on October 18, 2014, 01:46:59 pm
Well we will just have to agree to disagree on this one.  I could be thinking about god knows what very close to game time, but when it was time to take the field, baseball was all that was on my mind. 

I just can't imagine an Arkansas player taking 10 seconds to make one tweet is going to effect the outcome of the game or take his focus away from wanting to win.  Sorry.

Baseball, we are talking about baseball? Is that what you are comparing this to? Not even the same. Not taking anything away from college baseball, but it isn't even the same.
Go Hogs Go!

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 18, 2014, 01:50:29 pm
Baseball, we are talking about baseball? Is that what you are comparing this to? Not even the same. Not taking anything away from college baseball, but it isn't even the same.
I understand that but I still can't imagine how a single tweet 5 hours before a game is going to take focus away from the player wanting to win the game. 

aar0n

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on October 18, 2014, 01:51:40 pm
I understand that but I still can't imagine how a single tweet 5 hours before a game is going to take focus away from the player wanting to win the game. 

Especially when said tweet is about winning said game. 

hellwonthaveme

It isn't about one tweet. It is about social media on gameday. Shouldn't be allowed IMO.

PRJ

MuskogeeHogFan

As I said previously, it probably doesn't. Read above.
Go Hogs Go!

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on October 18, 2014, 01:53:36 pm
As I said previously, it probably doesn't. Read above.
Tell that to PRJ

aar0n

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 18, 2014, 01:52:19 pm
So a football game, in the best conference in the country, you liken it to your drive in 6 hours.......?

You haven't a clue.

PRJ

I don't have to check the stats to know that millions and millions more people die in vehicle accidents than in football games.  Unfocused driving is a matter of life and death, not winning a game.  I better get off Hogville and get focused.

Thank you for making my argument for me.  And I do have a clue, I was a college athlete just 5 years ago. 

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 18, 2014, 01:53:27 pm
It isn't about one tweet. It is about social media on gameday. Shouldn't be allowed IMO.

PRJ
Maybe it is not allowed.  Maybe they are allowed to make a single tweet and stay off twitter 4 hours before gametime. None of us know.  If they are sitting there reading tweets leading up to gametime, then maybe this can be a conversation.  That isn't happening

FANONTHEHILL

If you saw Bielema on the SEC Gameday set last week he talked about how the work is Monday to Friday. He wants them loose on game day. The work has already been done.  Sending out a tweet 3 hours before game time doesn't mean a lack of focus, it means they are 18-22 year old kids. 
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

trashcan maN

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 18, 2014, 01:53:27 pm

PRJ
Players should be sitting in silence in front of their lockers slowly bobbing their head to intense music in mental preparation for the game that will take place in 6 hours. amirite?

DoctorSusscrofa

Anybody that thinks Bijhon isn't focused simply doesn't know Bijhon. He has no problem with focus. Maybe these Championship winning fans above are worried about focus, but BJ is plenty focused.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: trashcan maN on October 18, 2014, 01:57:14 pm
Players should be sitting in silence in front of their lockers slowly bobbing their head to intense music in mental preparation for the game that will take place in 6 hours. amirite?

Again.....It is about social media....

PRJ

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: aar0n on October 18, 2014, 01:54:55 pm
I don't have to check the stats to know that millions and millions more people die in vehicle accidents than in football games.  Unfocused driving is a matter of life and death, not winning a game.  I better get off Hogville and get focused.

Thank you for making my argument for me.  And I do have a clue, I was a college athlete just 5 years ago. 

Yes....Yes you were.

PRJ

arkansasrazorback

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 18, 2014, 02:01:02 pm
Again.....It is about social media....

PRJ
You don't really think they are on social media from the time when they get on the bus until gametime do you? 

trashcan maN

I don't see a problem with tweeting to drum up some excitement, but I can see where reading social media could be a distraction. I dunno..I trust the staff to understand the situation better than us and make the right decision.

aar0n

Quote from: arkansasrazorback on October 18, 2014, 01:55:36 pm
Maybe it is not allowed.  Maybe they are allowed to make a single tweet and stay off twitter 4 hours before gametime. None of us know.  If they are sitting there reading tweets leading up to gametime, then maybe this can be a conversation.  That isn't happening

This is more or less the rule of thumb.  About 2 to 1-1/2 hours before game time, it's time to put the rest of the world away and have a single goal in mind.  Up to that point, it's key to not be TOO intensely focused or worried because it'll wear you out mentally.  I've had plenty of sleepless nights before games because of excitement/worry about performing that did nothing but hinder my performance come actual game time. 

Brer Hog

Social Media can take your eye off the ball.  Don't believe?  Why is texting and driving considered so dangerous?  Ever go to JerryWorld and sit high?  Did you find yourself watching the screen rather than the field?

Brandon Allen played well after the half.  Someone settled him down.The Hogs played much more focused the second half!  They were not in the game.  I wonder if they watched SEC Nation today... And saw all prognosticators pick them.  I think the defense was distracted and  I think we got lucky we even got the on-side kick.

Hogfan1660

They definitely had very little motivation in the first half! It looked like they were believing all the crap that everyone is writing about how close they are and how we would beat any team in the east! Time to put up or shut up with the team and coaching staff because I could see everything going even further south if we don't start winning something soon.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 18, 2014, 01:44:48 pm
Was she at Walmart?

PRJ

Don't know about Wal-Mart, but she was my senior English teacher.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on October 18, 2014, 08:03:56 pm
Don't know about Wal-Mart, but she was my senior English teacher.

You didn't hear about her wal mart incident? When did you graduate? Did she still sell pencils in her class?

PRJ

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 18, 2014, 08:05:50 pm
You didn't hear about her wal mart incident? When did you graduate? Did she still sell pencils in her class?

PRJ

I graduated in 1991. Yeah, she was selling pencils. Seems like I remember something about a Wal-Mart incident, but I guess I have forgotten the details.

Bacons Rebellion

Dang it, now I'm going to have to keep checking this thread to find out about some high school English teacher in Wal-Mart scandal.

dhornjr1

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on October 18, 2014, 08:16:46 pm
Dang it, now I'm going to have to keep checking this thread to find out about some high school English teacher in Wal-Mart scandal.

+1 if I could.