Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would a win change anyone's stance on the GSD?

Started by hogz11, October 16, 2014, 08:47:00 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BorderPatrol

Quote from: Kevin on October 17, 2014, 07:17:13 am
Tell that to all those vols fans who drive to Knoxville on Saturdays to watch them play, and don't grip about it.

Watch a Nebraska game and read all the sign about where their fans travel from.

Amazing how soft our fan base is.

If being centrally located is important, then move the main campus down there, and start building over.

Holy cow, the sky is falling!!!!!!!!! I actually agreed with something Kevin posted.

My day is ruined.

bp

Kevin

Quote from: BorderPatrol on October 17, 2014, 07:19:48 am
Holy cow, the sky is falling!!!!!!!!! I actually agreed with something Kevin posted.

My day is ruined.

bp

Everybody see the light eventually.  Have a great day!!!!!
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

RazorbackRon

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 16, 2014, 09:50:38 pm
How about being mature and not responding with rudeness.  NWA is the home of the razorbacks.  It's almost a 4 hour drive to little rock.  That to me is a road game.  No home game should have to travel 4 hours to play on their "home" field. 

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 16, 2014, 10:44:55 pm
You do realize that there used to be a WASTE MANAGEMENT logo there right? 
It's a crap stadium and it needs to go. 

OK, between the 4 hr drive comment and Higgie actually thinking the WMS logo was really a Waste Management logo, I'm starting to think Higgie may really be a senile ol' man.  Two stupid statements made in a row and not in jest is not looking good for Mr Higgie.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

1highhog

No, and I go to every game in LR.  But the games need to be held at RRS, even though the LR games is what kept the Razorbacks relevant for decades for the whole State, and some of our most storied games were held there, it's just time.  I'm saddened by all the negative talk aimed at the Old Gray Lady, she's in no where near the bad condition some on here make her out to be, she's actually in very nice shape and the city has continued to improve upon her.  But the UofA is in Fayetteville, we have altogether the best facilities of any SEC there is, we need to use this as a Recruiting edge.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: thirtythree on October 16, 2014, 08:54:58 pm
it wont matter one bit and that is sad.

Why is that sad. WHY should one game this year effect anyone's feelings one way or the other. The GSD is a bigger issue than one game this year or any other year.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

popcornhog

A sellout, an additional 20,000 seats, and a move to Fayetteville would change my stance.

Or if the UA moved to little rock I would change my stance.

Play the damn games on campus.

WPS
WPS

popcornhog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 16, 2014, 09:02:36 pm
and people changed their opinion and turned it into a NWA vs. LR debate.

This is so stupid. It's not about NWA versus Little Rock. It's about on campus vs not in campus. If the UA were in Little Rock, I'd support the games being in Little Rock.
WPS

bigstyx

A win is unlikely to change many people's opinions, but a loss would confirm how most people already feel, and sway some of the those on the fence to move all games to campus.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 16, 2014, 09:21:56 pm
The ongoing debate is not caused by the location where games are played.. It's caused by ass clowns like yourself who will use any and all aggravating, inflammatory or other wise derogatory term to troll. I would love to see you discuss this face to face with some of the people with differing opinions. I bet your word choices would be a lot less trollish...

I'm not in agreement that his post you quoted is trolling or inflammatory. He stated his opinion. No more no less.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DLUXHOG

Quote from: 1highhog on October 17, 2014, 07:32:46 am
No, and I go to every game in LR.  But the games need to be held at RRS, even though the LR games is what kept the Razorbacks relevant for decades for the whole State, and some of our most storied games were held there, it's just time.  I'm saddened by all the negative talk aimed at the Old Gray Lady, she's in no where near the bad condition some on here make her out to be, she's actually in very nice shape and the city has continued to improve upon her.  But the UofA is in Fayetteville, we have altogether the best facilities of any SEC there is, we need to use this as a Recruiting edge.

If the city leaders were a bit brighter than a 25W light bulb, they would see the end is near, stop the bellyaching, and begin plans to transform & adapt WMS to a world class city park, event center, recreation center,etc... for the public to use....  ...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Inhogswetrust

How about being mature and not responding with rudeness.  NWA is the home of the razorbacks.  It's almost a 4 hour drive to little rock.  That to me is a road game.  No home game should have to travel 4 hours to play on their "home" field. 

This thread is about waste management stadium  so yes it's a place that needs to finally go away. 

This is a message board and I would discuss it with anyone and have.  I stand by my words and the games that are played in little rock should not be played there.

And again how about respond with maturity instead of your previous post.   

You calling it Waste Management Stadium isn't mature either. Both of you have now posted immature statements.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hog N Bama on October 17, 2014, 05:23:37 am
No. All games should be played in Fayetteville, the home of the University of Arkansas. :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Arkansas is the home of the University of Arkansas
This is my non-signature signature.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 17, 2014, 07:42:46 am
If the city leaders were a bit brighter than a 25W light bulb, they would see the end is near, stop the bellyaching, and begin plans to transform & adapt WMS to a world class city park, event center, recreation center,etc... for the public to use....  ...

If by city leaders you mean being politicians then 25W's is probably about 18W's to bright.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on October 16, 2014, 10:44:55 pm
You do realize that there used to be a WASTE MANAGEMENT logo there right?  Quit twisting things and trying to say I am slamming vets.   

It's a crap stadium and it needs to go.

I probably live closer to the stadium than you do. Of course I know there was one. And yes you called it Waste Management Stadium.

I didn't twist anything, and I'm not the only one that was probably mildly offended.

You opened your mouth, not me.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 17, 2014, 07:49:42 am

Yet the Athletic Department is in Fayetteville.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 17, 2014, 07:59:09 am
Yet the Athletic Department is in Fayetteville.

In the glory days of the Razorback football program, without playing games in LR, Arkansas would have never gotten the support they needed. That is fact. Fayetteville was a nice small college town at the time.

A great many of the boosters that helped build the program were in Little Rock. Thats why they played there. Population and fund-raising.

To think otherwise is silly.

The Galloping Ghost

This thread is about waste management stadium  so yes it's a place that needs to finally go away. 

This is a message board and I would discuss it with anyone and have.  I stand by my words and the games that are played in little rock should not be played there.

And again how about respond with maturity instead of your previous post.   

I want all home Razorback football games played in their home stadium, but to hear you refer to that hallowed place in any name other than the christened one is quite offensive to me. As the son of a man that bled for his country and earned a purple heart in the conflict in which that stadium was erected to commemorate it really makes me want to punch you square in the mouth. Really.
"The only football players in my time were fellows who really loved to play football. They were not in it for the money. There wasn't much money there. They would have played football for nothing."

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: The Galloping Ghost on October 17, 2014, 08:02:13 am
I want all home Razorback football games played in their home stadium, but to hear you refer to that hallowed place in any name other than the christened one is quite offensive to me. As the son of a man that bled for his country and earned a purple heart in the conflict in which that stadium was erected to commemorate it really makes me want to punch you square in the mouth. Really.

Probably never served a day in the military or had to perform funeral detail duties for a WWII, Korea or Vietnam Veteran. Or if he did, then he feels stronger about the GSD than being a respectful person. Either way.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 17, 2014, 08:01:40 am
In the glory days of the Razorback football program, without playing games in LR, Arkansas would have never gotten the support they needed. That is fact. Fayetteville was a nice small college town at the time.

A great many of the boosters that helped build the program were in Little Rock. Thats why they played there. Population and fund-raising.

Oh believe me since I grew up in that time I agree with a lot of your post. EVEN back then thought the athletic department was located in Fayetteville. Fayetteville was smaller yet it was still the largest school in the state. There aren't many schools in the upper level of the NCAA that doesn't need broad based support away from their campus. Not many though played away from their campus as much as we did back then with a few exceptions.

IntegrityHog

Changes nothing.  Little Rockians had their chance years ago, and failed to show the support needed to keep games there long term. 

PonderinHog

WMS has served her people well over the years.  It's time to send her out in style.

Go Hogs!  Beat Georgia!   :razorback:

hogsanity

Quote from: hogz11 on October 16, 2014, 08:47:00 pm
I personally grew up in LR and still live in central Arkansas today. I was in the LR school district from K-12. But I am as pro all home games on campus as they come. That being said, the football program is as in need of a win as they ever have been.

If that streak comes to an end Saturday in WMS against a quality opponent (Gurley or not) will anyone's stance be swayed? I won't change completely but it sure will make me think a bit about it.

So, had they won in Arlington, should more games have been sent there? 

It is not wins and losses, it is unrealized revenue and the fact that there is a very very nice 72K seat stadium ON CAMPUS.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 17, 2014, 08:08:03 am
Probably never served a day in the military or had to perform funeral detail duties for a WWII, Korea or Vietnam Veteran. Or if he did, then he feels stronger about the GSD than being a respectful person. Either way.

Military funerals are an honor to attend and show our sincere gratitude to the fallen. I never will forget attending the funeral of my Father in Law's best friend who parachuted behind Germans lines in WWII. He had lived a long and full life and was one of the happiest go lucky and fun persons to be around I've ever met. The honor guard was young and didn't quite get the flag folded correctly. I never will forget the guy that was doing it went off a little ways after the service ended and my wife and I could tell he was very upset about it. We walked over and he had tears in his eyes and was apologetic. We said he had nothing to apologize for they just by being there to help honor one of his fellow soldiers was all that was needed. It is times like that which restores my faith in younger generations.

I for one hope there can be a way to save it if the Hogs do quit playing there. Not because I like going to games there but because of what the stadium means and stands for. If at some point War Memorial Stadium is unusable for whatever reason then it needs to be replaced with another equally historical monument so people of Arkansas can show their gratitude for those that came before and served so they could live free.

hogsanity

Oh here we go with that tired line of thinking. Alabama is the home of the University of Alabama, but they don't play in Montgomery or Birmingham. Same for Georgia, other than an occasional big ooc game in ATL they don't play home games off campus. I could name two dozen other schools too. South Carolina, Ohio St, Michigan, OU, TN, etc.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

LZH

I mentioned this in another thread, but haven't seen any type of response.  What would ya'll think if the minute we left WMS for good, LSU scheduled a game against Arkansas State there?  The issue wouldn't be the 10,000 Arkansas State fans, it would be the 45,000 hell-raising LSU fans.  How well would you guys take that?.....an LSU home game in the heart of Arkansas.

And you can say "it will never happen" all you want to, because you're probably about 50% right.....but it's quite possible, and would be extremely easy to do.  If I were the LSU AD, I'd be on the phone the day after the Hogs' last game there.

Uncommon

Quote from: LZH on October 17, 2014, 08:40:20 am
I mentioned this in another thread, but haven't seen any type of response.  What would ya'll think if the minute we left WMS for good, LSU scheduled a game against Arkansas State there?  The issue wouldn't be the 10,000 Arkansas State fans, it would be the 45,000 hell-raising LSU fans.  How well would you guys take that?.....an LSU home game in the heart of Arkansas.

And you can say "it will never happen" all you want to, because you're probably about 50% right.....but it's quite possible, and would be extremely easy to do.  If I were the LSU AD, I'd be on the phone the day after the Hogs' last game there.
What?  You're reaching there.  Little Rock is not as high on LSU's list as Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, or New Orleans for neutral non conference games.

Plus, they have one of the best venues in college football.  Why give that up?  If I was an LSU fan and heard they were going to take one home game and place it in War Memorial Stadium, I'd be outraged.  I think Shreveport has a better chance to host a LSU non conference game than Little Rock.

hogsanity

Right, LSU is going to move a rent a win home game to another state.  What did you smoke in the hours or minutes before you posted that? Why would LSU do that when they can play a big ooc game in Arlington, or Houston, or NOLA? For every recruit they MIGHT get out of SEA or Cent AR they can get 5 times that many out of Houston or Dallas or NOLA.

Hog N Bama

Fayetteville, Arkansas is the home of the University of Arkansas
There, fixed that for you.

Redhogs

Quote from: rickm1976 on October 17, 2014, 07:19:23 am
There is one aspect of this debate that I have not heard specifically mentioned, and I'm not taking sides.  I'm still on the fence.  The Razorbacks are pretty unique among major schools.  They are, and have always been the only major program in the state (sorry ASU). They represent every Arkansan from border to border, unlike just about every other state except Nebraska, etc.  Having them play one or two home games in central Arkansas only helps reinforce this concept and tradition of "One state, one school".
B.S.  Should Nebraska play games in Omaha? All home games should be played at home, as all other major programs do.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

aristotle

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 17, 2014, 08:01:40 am

The "glory days" are over. The century has turned. It's time for the hold-outs to recognize the change and join the new age. Now WMS is the opposite from what it was during the "glory days". Now playing at WMS is an eyesore that hurts recruiting and depletes revenues from the Athletic Program of the University of Arkansas. It's not LR vs NWA. It's diligence concerning OUR Razorbacks.

RazorbackRon

I would put the number closer to 99.9% chance it would never happen.    You really stretched for that one.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

LZH

Quote from: Uncommon on October 17, 2014, 08:42:35 am
What?  You're reaching there.  Little Rock is not as high on LSU's list as Atlanta, Dallas, Houston, or New Orleans for neutral non conference games.

Plus, they have one of the best venues in college football.  Why give that up?  If I was an LSU fan and heard they were going to take one home game and place it in War Memorial Stadium, I'd be outraged.  I think Shreveport has a better chance to host a LSU non conference game than Little Rock.

Technically, ASU would be the home team.  I just figure when we leave town, something like that is gonna happen....ASU will try to schedule a SEC West team with the return game in LR and not Jonesboro (a 2-for-1 deal).  I would if I were them.  And you know LSU fans travel well, they'd be there in droves.

Hog N Bama

I for one am sick and tired of having to explain to people here in Alabama why we play in that embarrassing stadium instead of in Fayetteville. Then, I have to answer the question..."what is the seating capacity? sure looks small". It is a bad reflection on our program. What do you think recruits think when they see us playing in a high school stadium?

Redhogs

Quote from: hogz11 on October 16, 2014, 08:47:00 pm
I personally grew up in LR and still live in central Arkansas today. I was in the LR school district from K-12. But I am as pro all home games on campus as they come. That being said, the football program is as in need of a win as they ever have been.

If that streak comes to an end Saturday in WMS against a quality opponent (Gurley or not) will anyone's stance be swayed? I won't change completely but it sure will make me think a bit about it.
Using your logic...can we say that if we lose tomorrow, we never have to play in LR again because we lost? Stadiums don't win or lose games, teams do. go Hogs.

Wildhog

Considering the GSD is already over...

If we win, I'll keep my mouth shut about WMS and let the old girl fade away in peace.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Redhogs

Quote from: Hog N Bama on October 17, 2014, 08:57:44 am
I for one am sick and tired of having to explain to people here in Alabama why we play in that embarrassing stadium instead of in Fayetteville. Then, I have to answer the question..."what is the seating capacity? sure looks small". It is a bad reflection on our program. What do you think recruits think when they see us playing in a high school stadium?
Well...there is that.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Hog N Bama on October 17, 2014, 08:50:31 am
There, fixed that for you.

It didn't need fixing. University funding comes from the state government and the money the university generates with tuition/expenses. Fayetteville benefits from the University more than the University benefits from Fayetteville.

Regardless, its not Fayetteville City University. Its a STATE university, same as ASU, UCA, UAPB, UALR and countless other Universities in the state. Arkansas is the home of the University of Arkansas. How much extra tax does Fayetteville contribute to the school that the rest of the state doesn't?

ADD: WMS helped Arkansas stay a "one-school" state for football. Without it and the financial benefactors in LR, ASU would have probably developed into a better football school.

aristotle

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 17, 2014, 09:00:29 am
It didn't need fixing. University funding comes from the state government and the money the university generates with tuition/expenses. Fayetteville benefits from the University more than the University benefits from Fayetteville.

Regardless, its not Fayetteville City University. Its a STATE university, same as ASU, UCA, UAPB, UALR and countless other Universities in the state. Arkansas is the home of the University of Arkansas. How much extra tax does Fayetteville contribute to the school that the rest of the state doesn't?

Irrelevant as to where football games are played. This can be said about every state-funded college in the country. Why are no other schools expected to use that rationale as a reason to play "home" games off-campus to the satisfaction of fans/businesses in other parts of their states?

Uncommon

Quote from: LZH on October 17, 2014, 08:57:27 am
Technically, ASU would be the home team.  I just figure when we leave town, something like that is gonna happen....ASU will try to schedule a SEC West team with the return game in LR and not Jonesboro (a 2-for-1 deal).  I would if I were them.  And you know LSU fans travel well, they'd be there in droves.
Would not happen.  The only time LSU plays non conference games away from Baton Rouge is if they play a premier program at a neutral site or at that program's home stadium.

In 2010, they played North Carolina in Atlanta and West Virginia in Baton Rouge.

In 2011, they played Oregon in Arlington and West Virginia in Morgantown.

In 2012, they played Washington in Baton Rouge.

In 2013, they played TCU in Arlington.

In 2014, they played Wisconsin in Houston.

They will always play programs like Arkansas State in Baton Rouge if they want to continue to be a Top 20 program.

Kevin

That is every state school. According to your logic, they should play a game at mena high school, cause the people in mena tax money goes to the university
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Piggfoot

Quote from: Hog N Bama on October 17, 2014, 08:57:44 am
You really shouldn't have to explain. Bama once played in Birmingham and the Iron Bowl got it's name from the steel industry there.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: aristotle on October 17, 2014, 09:05:38 am
Irrelevant as to where football games are played. This can be said about every state-funded college in the country. Why are no other schools expected to use that rationale as a reason to play "home" games off-campus to the satisfaction of fans/businesses in other parts of their states?

That wasn't the question..... His statement was Fayetteville is the home of the University of Arkansas. I disagreed with that and said "Arkansas is the home of the University of Arkansas." It was the first state funded university in Arkansas.

Whether they play in WMS or not, mine is a more accurate statement. That actually has nothing to do with the GSD. It just seems like some fans in NW Arkansas believe that some pigs are more equal than others and thats dependent on where they live or what they agree with. Its just silly. I probably give more to the RF than many NW Arkansas fans complaining about WMS and I haven't been to a game in quite a while.....(13 of 18 years stationed overseas and prefer my vacations be taken in the summer time).

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Kevin on October 17, 2014, 09:07:36 am
That is every state school. According to your logic, they should play a game at mena high school, cause the people in mena tax money goes to the university

Read my above statement....

Hog N Bama

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 17, 2014, 09:09:32 am
You really shouldn't have to explain. Bama once played in Birmingham and the Iron Bowl got it's name from the steel industry there.
Yes but only because it was considered a neutral site for that ONE INTRASTATE GAME. They never played other opponents in Birmingham to my knowledge. It is just ludicrous that we continue to force a self inflicted road game on our team that is not necessary. And yes it is a road game... a 3 hour drive and additional expense with less revenue, etc... etc.
I grew up going to games in WMS and looked forward to games in LR when I was a student 4 yrs in Fayetteville. It was a fun trip. However, it no longer makes sense PERIOD. No other team I know of plays home games anywhere other than the home campus! I really doubt donors will stop donating if games are no longer played in LR. If so, then so be it. Move on.

hogsanity

Quote from: LZH on October 17, 2014, 08:57:27 am

When the Hogs do finally leave, the people in LR should go out and try to get ASU to play there once a year.  Maybe UCA too. Maybe even try to host a game where LR is half way between two lower level FBS teams ( Vandy/TCU or SMU/Mizzu for example ).  Actually the people in LR should have been doing this already, but it was much easier to gouge the Razorback program ( who ever heard of paying rent to play a home game ).

TheGreatHogsby

Quote from: RazorbackRon on October 17, 2014, 08:55:47 am
I would put the number closer to 99.9% chance it would never happen.    You really stretched for that one.
Just go ahead and say it Ron. It 100% .  The stadium has a better chance at being demolished than LSU playing games there.

TheGreatHogsby

Quote from: hogsanity on October 17, 2014, 09:20:04 am
When the Hogs do finally leave, the people in LR should go out and try to get ASU to play there once a year.  Maybe UCA too. Maybe even try to host a game where LR is half way between two lower level FBS teams ( Vandy/TCU or SMU/Mizzu for example ).  Actually the people in LR should have been doing this already, but it was much easier to gouge the Razorback program ( who ever heard of paying rent to play a home game ).
We Hope the Hogs leave LR. There a small % that they never leave.

hogsanity

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 17, 2014, 09:09:32 am
. Bama once played in Birmingham

ONCE PLAYED being the key there.  They DO NOT do it anymore. Outside of a couple of long standing rivalry games, OU/TX and FL/GA no big time schools routinely play home games away from their campus ( assuming they have an on campus stadium ). 

Hog N Bama

ADD: WMS helped Arkansas stay a "one-school" state for football. Without it and the financial benefactors in LR, ASU would have probably developed into a better football school.
Thank you for your service. Thank your lucky stars you aren't an attorney. You'd be eating bologna.

hogsanity

Quote from: TheGreatHogsby on October 17, 2014, 09:22:10 am
We Hope the Hogs leave LR. There a small % that they never leave.

Actually I would be perfectly fine if they signed a 20 year contract to play ONE OOC game per year in LR. Preferably the game on labor day weekend, provided that was not the "big" ooc game for the year. Here would b my main proposal:

1. Ticket price would never exceed 90% of the lowest priced tickets in RRS, and no donation would be required to buy them.

2. The game would never be a fcs opponent.

3. The game would feature the Hogs against a non-sec team.

4. The operators of the stadium would have NO INPUT on date or opponent

5. The school would no longer pay rent to play in WMS

6. Operators of the stadium would keep all concession revenues.

7. Either party could buy out the remained of the contract, at any time, at the price of $1mil USD per year remaining on the contract.