Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia calling Arkansas' offense one-dimensional

Started by Fayettechill14, October 16, 2014, 06:58:59 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Fayettechill14

I've seen this claim on their boards. Don't understand it. They claim we have NO passing game, and yet...

Raw numbers
Mason: 91 of 129, 843 yards, 70% comp
Allen: 79 of 137, 997 yards, 57.7% comp

TD:Int
Mason: 8:3
Allen: 10:2

Averages
Mason: 15.2 completions, 21.5 attempts, 140.5 yards, 6.53 yards per attempt
Allen: 13.2 completions, 22.8 attempts, 166.2 yards, 7.23 yards per attempt

Sacked
Mason: 8
Allen: 4

Mason has a higher completion percentage, but that's really it. Allen gets more yards per attempt and yards per game, a better TD:Int to ratio, and a better sack rate. If we're worried whether a quarterback is ready to step up, I think we're talking about the wrong one.

Also, if you're thinking about run defense, here's how South Carolina ran the ball in the 4th quarter against Georgia:  12 carries, 93 yards, TD, 7.8 yards per carry. Bulldogs couldn't stop them and gave up a critical touchdown and then let SC run the final 4:24 out despite having 3 timeouts.

So there are your daily stats. The more I look at this matchup, the more I like it!

Fayettechill14

Also, and I don't know why this hasn't been publicized, but Mason injured his ankle vs. Missouri and is NOT expected to be at 100%. He's not very mobile anyway...

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

rude1

Nice break down. Does appear this is the best suited opponent to get off the slide. You just have to wonder if it's close in the 4th quarter are our guys going to be sensing impending doom?

Dionysos25

Allen has that completion percentage, and we're probably undefeated.
"Once again we've hit philosophical bedrock with the shovel of a stupid question."

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 16, 2014, 06:58:59 pm
I've seen this claim on their boards. Don't understand it. They claim we have NO passing game, and yet...

Raw numbers

Averages

Sacked

Mason has a higher completion percentage, but that's really it. Allen gets more yards per attempt and yards per game, a better TD:Int to ratio, and a better sack rate. If we're worried whether a quarterback is ready to step up, I think we're talking about the wrong one.

Also, if you're thinking about run defense, here's how South Carolina ran the ball in the 4th quarter against Georgia:  12 carries, 93 yards, TD, 7.8 yards per carry. Bulldogs couldn't stop them and gave up a critical touchdown and then let SC run the final 4:24 out despite having 3 timeouts.

So there are your daily stats. The more I look at this matchup, the more I like it!

Those claims are off a Georgia message board.  What did you expect?  Knowledgeable insight? 

Dr. Starcs

Good break down chill. What's your score prediction?

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 16, 2014, 07:43:39 pm
Good break down chill. What's your score prediction?

Barring Arkansas finding a strange way to lose, I'm thinking 28-20 Hogs. Best case scenario is a 35-17 kind of game.

twistitup

Quote from: Dionysos25 on October 16, 2014, 07:10:40 pm

I agree here but on another note, I do think we come away from the Rock w the victory....we lead by 14 going into the fourth- they come back but miss a FG in the closing seconds and we get the win.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Locutus_of_Boar

Any of a number of Razorbacks fix a few correctable errors and Arkansas stays in the game at Auburn to the end, pounds A&M, and comfortably cruises by Bama.

Everyone is looking to the 4th quarter but if this team had back the blown 1st half chances it never gets to being a contest in the 4th.

Mark Richt is a moody coach whose teams sometimes swing with his mood changes.  He has to be looking at the tape and saying is his team steady enough to hold this Arkansas team for sixty minutes from breaking out?

Mike_e

A Mack truck seems one dimensional if you're looking at the front end approaching you at 70+ miles an hour.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Hogarusa

I dont go to other teams message boards but it could just be the Georgia fans stating it aren't football smart and their opinions are worthless.
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Danny J

Quote from: rude1 on October 16, 2014, 07:06:57 pm
Nice break down. Does appear this is the best suited opponent to get off the slide. You just have to wonder if it's close in the 4th quarter are our guys going to be sensing impending doom?
I don't think it will be close in the 4th....I think it will almost mirror the TTU game in the sense that we will have them worn down going into the 4th and the clock will continue to run. I think we win by 2-3 TD's.

hamARchy in the USA

Nice stat breakdown.  I've not seen Georgia play so the stats mean more.

The situation at lb is a concern, but with the game being in Little Rock a plus, imo, a raucous crowd might be the difference in pushing these Hogs across the threshold of victory.

wachhog

Quote from: Mike_e on October 16, 2014, 08:00:55 pm
A Mack truck seems one dimensional if you're looking at the front end approaching you at 70+ miles an hour.
Boy, i cannot WAIT to see our Mack truck in action!

eusebius

Neither team has a good passing attack. Both are in the bottom 25 of college football in yds per game. But both are two of the better rushing teams in the country, Ark is 12th in yds and Georgia 13th. Neither fanbase can make a case that they have a good passing game compared to other NCAA teams. Both run the ball well, but struggle in the passing game. We will make them try to beat us in the air, they will do the same. So it will come down to who makes plays, Mason or Allen?
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

lefty08

If he had that percentage in the is offense he would be john elway. Offensive style has led to inflated comp percentages across the country. BA doesnt throw backwards or down the line of scrimmage enough to have a 70% passing completion
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

lefty08

Quote from: eusebius on October 16, 2014, 08:25:06 pm
Neither team has a good passing attack. Both are in the bottom 25 of college football in yds per game. But both are two of the better rushing teams in the country, Ark is 12th in yds and Georgia 13th. Neither fanbase can make a case that they have a good passing game compared to other NCAA teams. Both run the ball well, but struggle in the passing game. We will make them try to beat us in the air, they will do the same. So it will come down to who makes plays, Mason or Allen?

Given the 2 options we have the advantage id say

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on October 16, 2014, 07:46:48 pm
Barring Arkansas finding a strange way to lose, I'm thinking 28-20 Hogs. Best case scenario is a 35-17 kind of game.

Sounds about right, but I have to admit that the "strange way to lose" comment is going to haunt me the rest of the week.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

wupigsuey

A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

code red

Well yeah!!!!! Geez!!!  That LR crowd should pull em thru tho hmmmmm?
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

onebadrubi

Quote from: code red on October 16, 2014, 09:01:46 pm
Well yeah!!!!! Geez!!!  That LR crowd should pull em thru tho hmmmmm?

Very similar to the way they did in 10 vs lsu!

Piggfoot

I think we have been one dimensional in the games we've lost. I haven't seen us use a good mix consistently when we needed too. Our short passes certainly haven't opened up things. I believe Ga. Like Ala. in the second half will make us beat them through the air.  And if we can't catch them deep a couple of times. I think we'll be in trouble. Hope I'm wrong.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Bubba's Bruisers

I admit I haven't reviewed the stats, but my eyes tell me we don't pass well in passing downs/situations. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

lefty08

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on October 16, 2014, 09:46:07 pm
I admit I haven't reviewed the stats, but my eyes tell me we don't pass well in passing downs/situations.

your eyes may need glasses

AugustaHog

It's funny that those yahoos are joking on BA because my UGA friends all hate Mason and he scares them to death.  He hasn't done much this year and I believe we can force him into some big mistakes.  He doesn't like the pressure much.  We just have to actually catch the gimme INTs this week.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: AugustaHog on October 16, 2014, 10:41:50 pm
It's funny that those yahoos are joking on BA because my UGA friends all hate Mason and he scares them to death.  He hasn't done much this year and I believe we can force him into some big mistakes.  He doesn't like the pressure much.  We just have to actually catch the gimme INTs this week.

I think they should be more scared about Mason. Obviously I don't want Allen to throw it 35-40 times, but if both QBs had to I'd take my chances with Allen over Mason.

Pigstie

Quote from: wupigsuey on October 16, 2014, 08:59:35 pm
Glad they're over looking us.
So you think their players think the same way their fans on a msg
board do? ???
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

Pigstie

Raw numbers

Averages

Sacked

Against good teams we are one dimensional.  Has the passing game beat an sec team yet?
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

eusebius

Quote from: lefty08 on October 16, 2014, 09:59:31 pm
your eyes may need glasses

I don't know if he needs glasses, that's between him and his optometrist, but in the three losses converting on third down has been an issue, and typically that is a passing down, especially third and more than 7.

Here's what we were in those losses

AUB: 2/10, 20 % . . . .24 pt loss
TAM 5/15, 33% . . . . .7 pt loss
ALA 9/19 and 0/2 on 4th down. 9/21, 42.8 % . . . 1 pt loss

In wins:
NIC: 3/6, it didn't really matter here.
TT: 8/12, 66.6% 
NIU:  10/14,  71.4 %

Must convert on 3rd down especially late in the game.   
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Mike_e on October 16, 2014, 08:00:55 pm

Nice, +1 if I could

PORKULATOR

Yes, we're one dimensional... We hell- bent on running over and trying to out score the guys in the other unis...  Yadda yadddaaa
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

WADHOG

Quote from: eusebius on October 16, 2014, 11:08:42 pm
I don't know if he needs glasses, that's between him and his optometrist, but in the three losses converting on third down has been an issue, and typically that is a passing down, especially third and more than 7.

Here's what we were in those losses

AUB: 2/10, 20 % . . . .24 pt loss
TAM 5/15, 33% . . . . .7 pt loss
ALA 9/19 and 0/2 on 4th down. 9/21, 42.8 % . . . 1 pt loss

In wins:
NIC: 3/6, it didn't really matter here.
TT: 8/12, 66.6% 
NIU:  10/14,  71.4 %

Must convert on 3rd down especially late in the game.   
We must quit putting ourselves in third and long. 

cpohog

This has nothing to do with statistics. It has everything to do with reality.

Until we win a game with our passing game, which we have not been able to do, we will be considered ONE dimensional.

Many teams are going to try and take away our strength (running game) and challenge BA and our receivers to beat them. Until BA and our receivers go out and beat someone, anyone, we will be considered one dimensional. Regardless of statistics.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Pigstie on October 16, 2014, 10:57:35 pm
Against good teams we are one dimensional.  Has the passing game beat an sec team yet?

I have an even better question. Has the running game beat an sec team yet?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

lahawg1

Georgia has rushed for 1654 yds this year and Gurley accounts for 773 or 46% of those. Chubb is the next guy at 367 so with 46% of their yards sitting on the bench this should be an interesting game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/61/georgia-bulldogs

I remind that Aubbie is not a passing team either but they win a lot.  Its how and where you get those passing yards that really count.

As we've seen, GA can play lights out or lights off and I don't believe even they know who will show up.  If we get one of their nearly perfect games, we lose but if they offer up something less than a great overall effort, we very well could win this game.  We have not shown we can pass or run when its show down time.  Also when under the gun, we don't coach very well either.

As planned, Little Rock is now a home game only because its played in Arkansas.  We don't know the stadium very well.  We'll have the crowd but expect GA to have the SEC refs.  They got the East to win and we got nothing that matters to the SEC to win. 

Hog N Bama

Quote from: lahawg1 on October 17, 2014, 06:01:26 am
Georgia has rushed for 1654 yds this year and Gurley accounts for 773 or 46% of those. Chubb is the next guy at 367 so with 46% of their yards sitting on the bench this should be an interesting game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/stats/_/id/61/georgia-bulldogs
I won't believe Gurley won't play until the game is over.

Pork Twain

Quote from: Choctaw Hog on October 16, 2014, 07:24:30 pm
Those claims are off a Georgia message board.  What did you expect?  Knowledgeable insight? 
Exactly...  Don't people read the outlandish crap we post on here?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

memphishog

I for one, hope it is one dimensional right down their throat.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: Danny J on October 16, 2014, 08:12:14 pm
I don't think it will be close in the 4th....I think it will almost mirror the TTU game in the sense that we will have them worn down going into the 4th and the clock will continue to run. I think we win by 2-3 TD's.

Maybe so, but UGa's defense is hardly TTU's defense.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

The Hogfather

Quote from: lefty08 on October 16, 2014, 08:29:26 pm
If he had that percentage in the is offense he would be john elway. Offensive style has led to inflated comp percentages across the country. BA doesnt throw backwards or down the line of scrimmage enough to have a 70% passing completion

Exactly.  The statement is correct, but also virtually impossible.

MuskogeeHogFan

The Arkansas defense has almost twice as many PBU's as the Georgia defense, 33 to 17 over 6 games. On the other hand the Georgia defense has twice as many INT's as Arkansas, 8 to 4. But, I think Arkansas dropped about 3 last week that should have been INT's.

We all focus on the offense and of course that is important, but I think it is the defense that may be the deciding factor for both teams in this game.
Go Hogs Go!

Redhogs

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 16, 2014, 09:43:28 pm
I think we have been one dimensional in the games we've lost. I haven't seen us use a good mix consistently when we needed too. Our short passes certainly haven't opened up things. I believe Ga. Like Ala. in the second half will make us beat them through the air.  And if we can't catch them deep a couple of times. I think we'll be in trouble. Hope I'm wrong.
Finally a reasonable post....don't know where others think this will be an easy game. It will be another loss if we don't find a way to play better in the second half and score in the forth quarter..oh, and hope we found a field goal kicker during the week....and some call the Ga. boards delusional. If we do win, it will be a tough, hard fought game.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Redhogs

Raw numbers

Averages

Sacked

Truth is, our passing game has been very undependable WHEN WE NEED IT, particularly in the fourth quarter when the game is on the line. Stats can be very misleading. Go Hogs.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

JayBell

Arkansas' offense will be one-dimensional if Allen comes out slinging it around everywhere like he did last week.  I've been far more complimentary of Allen than most people over the last season and a half, but he came out wild last week.  The only thing I can figure is he still has some mental scars from the beatdown Alabama gave him as a freshman two years ago when Wilson was injured.

When Allen and his receivers are on-point, Arkansas' offense is about as dynamic as anyone in the SEC this year.

Junkyard Hog

He's right.

Last week we passed for 246 and ran for 89.

jacobp

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on October 17, 2014, 09:11:35 am
The offense has averaged 18 points per game in conference. that's hardly dynamic
Not a big discrepancy, but we are averaging about 21 pts per game in SEC play, not 18

True. 2 penalties and a missed field goal against aTm or we would have put up 45.

Fumble and a botched FG snap against Bama or we put up 23-24 points. They give up 15 per game.

Hogwild

Quote from: jacobp on October 17, 2014, 09:15:45 am
Not a big discrepancy, but we are averaging about 21 pts per game in SEC play, not 18

He said the offense was averaging18 in SEC play which is correct, you said we are averaging 21 points per game in SEC play which is also correct.  The special teams scored a TD against A&M.

Southern Hogspitality

Completion percentage can be a two way street, a couple less dropped passes would help out both causes.