Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

World Series: Headed to Game 7 in KC

Started by popcornhog, October 15, 2014, 06:08:06 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

popcornhog

October 15, 2014, 06:08:06 pm Last Edit: October 28, 2014, 10:39:37 pm by popcornhog
Royals/Giants
WPS

GolfNut57

And even with the new wildcard format.........once again a WC team advances to the WS. Go Royals!
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

clutch

Quote from: GolfNut57 on October 15, 2014, 06:23:58 pm
And even with the new wildcard format.........once again a WC team advances to the WS. Go Royals!

I've said for a few years that the postseason favors the wildcard team that makes it through the 1 game play in. Wild card teams have usually been in postseason mode for about a month already. A lot of the top teams have been on cruise control and it takes them a little longer to find the groove.

Hogarusa

Game 1 is 10/21. I will be seeing Judas Priest in KC that night, unless the Cards win 3 in a row
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

FelixJonesorDMAC?

popcornhog

Huge inning for the Royals. They struggled mightily in game 1 to get hits with runners on base.

Not so in the 6th inning.

7-2. 1 out.
WPS

DukeOfPork

Quote from: popcornhog on October 22, 2014, 09:35:31 pm
Huge inning for the Royals. They struggled mightily in game 1 to get hits with runners on base.

Not so in the 6th inning.

7-2. 1 out.

Simple reason for that: no Bumgarner in Game 2.

popcornhog

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 22, 2014, 11:10:55 pm
Simple reason for that: no Bumgarner in Game 2.

True. And he was clutch in key situations. But they did hit him pretty well to get RISP early in innings. He just found ways and/or the defense helped him out of jams.
WPS

jbell96

So Hunter Strickland was a bit ridiculous last night. I'm sure he was mad at himself, but staring people down & talking trash after you get rocked, especially when you are a rookie, is not the smartest thing to do.

I think this will end up being a phenomenal series. I just wish Bochy hadn't saved his bullpen brain farts for game 2 of the World Series. :)

DukeOfPork

Quote from: jbell96 on October 23, 2014, 09:15:53 am
So Hunter Strickland was a bit ridiculous last night. I'm sure he was mad at himself, but staring people down & talking trash after you get rocked, especially when you are a rookie, is not the smartest thing to do.

I think this will end up being a phenomenal series. I just wish Bochy hadn't saved his bullpen brain farts for game 2 of the World Series. :)

If Strickland wanted to rumble with someone, Perez would be a poor choice.  It was silly how they led the postgame interviews with questions about that.  The Royals wisely just blew it off like it wasn't a big deal.  And it's not a big deal; just a hot headed kid that got rocked and was cussing a little too close to Salvie.

Last night was a must-win for the Royals.  That looked more like the Royals team that has been rolling through the playoffs. 

Shields vs. Bumgarner is a losing proposition for the Royals.  But I think the Royals have an advantage with the other pitching matchups, so they need to win as many of the non-Bumgarner games as possible.  And Yost needs to pull Shields at the first sign of trouble next time.  Shields has not looked good in the playoffs.

jbell96

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 23, 2014, 12:05:01 pm
If Strickland wanted to rumble with someone, Perez would be a poor choice.  It was silly how they led the postgame interviews with questions about that.  The Royals wisely just blew it off like it wasn't a big deal.  And it's not a big deal; just a hot headed kid that got rocked and was cussing a little too close to Salvie.

Last night was a must-win for the Royals.  That looked more like the Royals team that has been rolling through the playoffs. 

Shields vs. Bumgarner is a losing proposition for the Royals.  But I think the Royals have an advantage with the other pitching matchups, so they need to win as many of the non-Bumgarner games as possible.  And Yost needs to pull Shields at the first sign of trouble next time.  Shields has not looked good in the playoffs.

Outside of Bumgarner, the Giants starting rotation isn't very good. Peavy, Vogelsong, & Hudson are at best back of the rotation guys. Cardinals weren't baffled by those guys, but they just couldn't deliver knockout blows when they had the chance.

I don't think I've ever seen bullpen guys dominate the way Hererra, Davis, & Holland have this season. I mean if the Royals are up after the 6th inning, it is pretty much over.

I'd be shocked if this series doesn't go back to KC. That's how even these teams are.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: jbell96 on October 23, 2014, 12:41:55 pm

I don't think I've ever seen bullpen guys dominate the way Hererra, Davis, & Holland have this season. I mean if the Royals are up after the 6th inning, it is pretty much over.

Yeah, if you let the Royals get a lead going into the 7th, your chances are slim indeed.

But in the World Series, that may extend to the 5th or 6th inning as well because Herrera or Davis could pitch a couple innings and KC always has guys like Finnegan to fill the gap as well. 

We just need the starter to put in at least 5 solid innings like Ventura did last night.  And speaking of which, that was a hell of a performance by a rookie in a huge game.

jbell96

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 23, 2014, 01:41:55 pm
Yeah, if you let the Royals get a lead going into the 7th, your chances are slim indeed.

But in the World Series, that may extend to the 5th or 6th inning as well because Herrera or Davis could pitch a couple innings and KC always has guys like Finnegan to fill the gap as well. 

We just need the starter to put in at least 5 solid innings like Ventura did last night.  And speaking of which, that was a hell of a performance by a rookie in a huge game.

Very gutsy performance last night. I mean giving up a bomb to start the game was scary, but he settled in, & gutted it out when it was obvious he didn't have his best stuff. Finnegan has been a revelation. It's hard to believe he's gone from pitching in the CWS this summer to the World Series in a span of a few months.

This postseason, Bochy has had a tendency to leave a guy in an inning too long, so hopefully the Royals can take advantage like they did last night. I was shocked he didn't bring Petit in for Peavy in the 6th, especially when you don't have to worry about pinch hitting for him in an AL park, and he's proven he can go as long as you need him.

DukeOfPork

Yeah, I don't think Finnegan has had a single bad outing since being called up.  And in those extra inning playoff games, he held down the fort a couple times until we could scare up some runs.

I agree about Bochy leaving Peavy in too long.  Not sure when we'll see Strickland again after that meltdown.

Dr. Starcs

Peavy had retired 10 straight batters. Gave up a double to start the 6th at about 60 pitches.

You're saying he should have been pulled then? Because he only faced one more batter (walked)

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on October 23, 2014, 04:27:41 pm
Peavy had retired 10 straight batters. Gave up a double to start the 6th at about 60 pitches.

You're saying he should have been pulled then? Because he only faced one more batter (walked)

Good point.  Can't really question that.

I kept expecting the Royals to get it going against Peavy.  I like their chances against him the 3rd time through the lineup more than I like dealing with their bullpen.  The same is true for every Giants starter that doesn't have "BUMGARNER" on the back of his jersey.

DukeOfPork

I love this quote from Perez about Strickland's antics:

''He started to look at me, so I asked him like, `Hey, why you look at me?''' Perez said. ''So he was telling me, `Get out of here, whatever.' So I don't know. `You don't have to treat me like that. Look at Omar. Omar hit a bomb. I didn't hit a bomb. I hit a double.''

:)

cosmodrum

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 23, 2014, 05:17:49 pm
I love this quote from Perez about Strickland's antics:

''He started to look at me, so I asked him like, `Hey, why you look at me?''' Perez said. ''So he was telling me, `Get out of here, whatever.' So I don't know. `You don't have to treat me like that. Look at Omar. Omar hit a bomb. I didn't hit a bomb. I hit a double.''

:)

Lol.
Go away, batin'

popcornhog

WPS

pigture perfect

The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

DukeOfPork

Hell of a game.  Absolutely huge win for the Royals. 

I'll be shocked if the Giants don't throw Bumgarner in Game 4.

cosmodrum

Go away, batin'

DukeOfPork

Well, looks like Vogelsong in Game 4.  I'm surprised by that.  Bumgarner will be Game 5 and possible relief in Game 7.

I like Kansas City's chances in Game 4.  The Giants are going to feel immense pressure to score early.

You have to think Herrera is out for Game 4, but Finnegan, Davis, and Holland looked rock solid tonight.

pigture perfect

Hererra had location issues, but I think you have to go with what brung you.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

popcornhog

We're going to have a hard time finding a bar to watch since LSU is playing Ole Miss.

Go Royals!
WPS

ucahogfan

Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·  20h 20 hours ago   

So, @TCU_Baseball's Brandon Finnegan becomes the first player in history to pitch in the @NCAACWS and @WorldSeries in the same year. @Royals

clutch

Quote from: ucahogfan on October 25, 2014, 05:20:15 pm
Kendall Rogers @KendallRogersPG     ·  20h 20 hours ago   

So, @TCU_Baseball's Brandon Finnegan becomes the first player in history to pitch in the @NCAACWS and @WorldSeries in the same year. @Royals

That's pretty amazing.

clutch

Good game so far. For sports investing reasons, I'd like the score to stay exactly as it is now. I picked the Royals on the money line to win, plus the giants at +1 1/2, and then parlayed the picks. So if the royals win by 1 run, it'd be really great for me.

pigture perfect

clutch

clutch

I really dislike Sandoval. That dudes an animal in postseason play though. Like a completely different player.

clutch

DukeOfPork

Quote from: clutch on October 25, 2014, 11:05:19 pm
Well this went from a great game to a stinker.

No kidding.  Went completely off the rails.

The Giants are in control now. 

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on October 25, 2014, 10:03:47 pm
I really dislike Sandoval. That dudes an animal in postseason play though. Like a completely different player.

Dislike, why? From where I'm sitting he's a badass!!!

I hate that he played a role in knocking out the Cardinals though.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on October 26, 2014, 12:10:16 am
Dislike, why? From where I'm sitting he's a badass!!!

I hate that he played a role in knocking out the Cardinals though.

No particular reason. Just one of those players that I dislike. I think it's mainly because I don't like the giants and once they reach the postseason he makes them a lot better. If he played for any other team I'd probably like him.

popcornhog

So KC has the advantage in what is now a 3 game series: 2 of 3 at home.

Or does SF have the advantage with a near auto win tonight with Madbum on the mound?

Exciting Series to be sure.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on October 26, 2014, 11:54:37 am

Or does SF have the advantage with a near auto win tonight with Madbum on the mound?

It's the postseason. Every pitcher is capable of that bad postseason game. No auto wins.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: popcornhog on October 26, 2014, 11:54:37 am

I think that playing at home doesn't matter much at all.  Both of these teams have shown the ability to win on the road in the playoffs and in this World Series.

Like I said after Game 4, it's Advantage: Giants.  I had Game 5 already written off because of Bumgarner and KC's sudden teamwide slump.

The Giants are rolling now.  They look like the same team that has won 2 out of the last 4 World Series.  KC needs to regroup and take a shot with Ventura against Peavy, get it to a Game 7, and then see what happens.

clutch

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 26, 2014, 10:18:29 pm
I think that playing at home doesn't matter much at all.  Both of these teams have shown the ability to win on the road in the playoffs and in this World Series.

Like I said after Game 4, it's Advantage: Giants.  I had Game 5 already written off because of Bumgarner and KC's sudden teamwide slump.

The Giants are rolling now.  They look like the same team that has won 2 out of the last 4 World Series.  KC needs to regroup and take a shot with Ventura against Peavy, get it to a Game 7, and then see what happens.

Win game 6 and anything can happen in game 7. I think this will go 7. If it gets there, no clue what will happen. Royals will be tough to beat at home in a game 7, but the giants could very well throw bumgarner again on short rest. It sort of surprised me they let him go 9 tonight just I case it does go to game 7. Thought they would have pulled him around 7.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: clutch on October 26, 2014, 10:41:19 pm
Win game 6 and anything can happen in game 7. I think this will go 7. If it gets there, no clue what will happen. Royals will be tough to beat at home in a game 7, but the giants could very well throw bumgarner again on short rest. It sort of surprised me they let him go 9 tonight just I case it does go to game 7. Thought they would have pulled him around 7.

I was thinking the same thing.  Especially after they went up 5-0, I thought they might sit him down and let someone else finish it off.

Bumgarner aside, the Giants are simply outplaying the Royals the last two games.  A day off is good for KC.  They need to just regroup and try to get at Peavy early.

clutch

Quote from: Surfing8 on October 27, 2014, 06:35:18 pm
Good luck being the guy that tells Bumgarner he has to come out of that game.  Not to mention if something had gone wrong w/ the relievers.

Bumgarner is just country-strong enough to come back for a possible Game 7 regardless.  If Bochy needs it, that bullet is definitely in the clip. 

If I'm Bochy, he does whatever I say. I'm paid to manage, he's paid to pitch.

mhuff

Quote from: clutch on October 26, 2014, 10:41:19 pm

dacskc

clutch

Wow. Just got home. Looks like the royals exploded. Save some of those runs for tomorrow boys. Anything goes in game 7.

pigture perfect

Morse for the Giants reminds me of Gorman Thomas a bit. That chest and forearms are huge.

popcornhog

Hats off to Ventura for 7 innings of three hit shutout baseball.

He's gonna be good.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on October 28, 2014, 09:48:25 pm

He's gonna be good.

Did they pull him? I'd let him keep rolling. Save everyone for tomorrow. He's done for the year, screw his pitch count.

popcornhog

Quote from: clutch on October 28, 2014, 09:53:31 pm
Did they pull him? I'd let him keep rolling. Save everyone for tomorrow. He's done for the year, screw his pitch count.

I don't know. He was losing command in the 7th.

Not sure who you go to, but I don't think you leave him on the mound.
WPS

clutch

Quote from: popcornhog on October 28, 2014, 09:59:41 pm
I don't know. He was losing command in the 7th.

Not sure who you go to, but I don't think you leave him on the mound.

Apparently they did. I'd have given him a batter to see if he could gets through it. 10 run lead is pretty comfortable.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: popcornhog on October 28, 2014, 09:48:25 pm

He's gonna be good.

Dominant.  That was as impressive as Bumgarner.

Yordano was still hitting 100 mph in the 7th inning!