Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Rafe Peavy=Russell Wilson

Started by hogz11, October 15, 2014, 05:43:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogz11

I've thought more and more about this comparison and it seems pretty logical to me. With the offense CBB has established here and what he did at Wisky, it seems a QB that is a running threat can really thrive. It seems like Rafe would be a perfect fit for the offense and add an element that defenses will have to account for.

Keep in mind I'm counting on him also being able to pass efficiently as well. I trust the coaches and I'm not saying Rafe should've been the starter this year. I just really don't want to see him get stuck behind the Allen brothers if he is a legit talent.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do not like the fact that the top 2 QB's on our depth chart are brothers and their father is on staff regardless of his position. I find it hard to believe he isn't lobbying for his boys. I'd really like to see Rafe and Ty (assuming he is also legit) be the future of the QB position for Arkansas in the years to come....

RazorbackRon

Quote from: ricepig on October 15, 2014, 05:28:24 pm
Trolls going to troll... I'll respond to you in the trash can.....

THIS
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

greenie

I wonder what the issue was with Duwop...particularly if they were looking for a QB with great wheels.  Bottom line is that I have a lot of faith in this staff to put the best players on the field.

Hogarusa

A running QB can thrive in any offense
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

ARtillahog

Quote from: hogz11 on October 15, 2014, 05:46:48 pm
So you copy and paste from another thread? Why is any opinion other than Brandon Allen walks on water considering trolling around here?

You honestly think, a man who's position is pretty low on the totem pole, has enough pull with Jim Chaney AND Bret Bielema to make sure his kids start/play?

That's a new kind of crazy there.

I don't hate BA, but I don't think he is the QB that will take the Hogs to the SEC CG.

Bielema/Chaney will play the person who gives them the best chance to win, bottom line and end of thread.

bigred223

If he is the best player, then he will start.

I am sure that Coach Beliema does not start Brandon because his dad is "lobbying for him." I assume you are just trolling, but I guess you could be that naive.

If Rafe is half as good as Russell Wilson, then we will be lucky. You realize you are talking about a guy that won a Super Bowl last year.

RazorbackRon

So you copy and paste from another thread? Why is any opinion other than Brandon Allen walks on water considering trolling around here?

Because it fits.  I'm sure CBB is more concerned with Bobby Allen than winning games.   Geez, get real.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

greenie

Quote from: hogz11 on October 15, 2014, 05:48:03 pm
Greenie, I don't know much about Duwop or his skills as a QB...

Me neither, beyond what I heard when Duwop was recruited: he's big and mobile and a QB.  Next thing I hear, he's moved to WR.  There must have been some sort of QB skills deficit compared to the others.

Rafe certainly is an athletic kid, too.  I think the spring competition in 2016 will be interesting with BA gone and Storey most likely coming off his red shirt year.  Good competition between Rafe, Austin, and Ty.

One last thing...I have been very impressed with the mobility of BA.  He's not a running threat to the point where they call running plays for him, but he has proven that he can extend plays, and even get yards, against the best of defenses.  To me, that's what Russell Wilson brought to the table.  I'm a BA fan.

Danny J

BB is going to start the QB who gives him the best chance of winning....period. That comes from a combination of several different factors:

Experience as a starter
Mature
Time in the offense currently being run
Ability to get it done in practice
Leadership ability

Now I believe that raw talent is worth a lot but right now does raw talent overcome the aforementioned factors? I don't believe BB thinks it does and really that is all that matters. Reminds me of CMA's first season here at the UofA and his not starting BJ for the first 2/3 of the season instead starting Scott and Wade in his place. Drove me crazy but some coaches value experience over raw ability.

Jerrajo

Quote from: greenie on October 15, 2014, 05:46:23 pm
I wonder what the issue was with Duwop...particularly if they were looking for a QB with great wheels.  Bottom line is that I have a lot of faith in this staff to put the best players on the field.

Ron has issues.. Serious and very deep issues. I just ignore him.

sowmonella

Wilson is quicker, Rafe has a better arm at his age.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Bahahaha11

Wow.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Bigmac2

CBB has repeatedly stated "we have players coming". Whether he means red shirt guys or freshmen coming in next year. He hasn't stated exactly what position he is referring to however it has to make you think about what he is alluding to.

lefty08

Quote from: hogz11 on October 15, 2014, 05:48:03 pm
Greenie, I don't know much about Duwop or his skills as a QB...

You know as much about duwops skills as a qb as you do peavys. The fact BA is the starter has nothing to do with his last name. Of course u knew that
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

root_hawg

Peavey=Wilson has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.  You are comparing a 3rd string QB in college to a Super Bowl winning QB.  I really don't see Rafe being more than a backup to either Austin or Storey.

AugustaHog

I'm just confused as to where in the heck anybody got a read that Rafe is the real deal.  He may end up being a heck of a QB, but I doubt he's there yet.  If he can play, he will get PT.  CBB wants to win and isn't concerned about hurt feelings. 

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogz11 on October 15, 2014, 05:43:18 pm
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do not like the fact that the top 2 QB's on our depth chart are brothers and their father is on staff regardless of his position. I find it hard to believe he isn't lobbying for his boys.

Give me a break.

Just for a moment, try to put yourself in CBB's shoes: You have a job that has the potential to pay you many, many millions of dollars over the next decade, but rather than play the kid that gives YOU the best chance of success, you're going to play a lesser player simply to please a guy you didn't hire, that's not even on your coaching staff??

Can you even begin to see the absolute weakness of that comment?
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

MB Hog

From what I hear, Ty Storey is going to be the story.  I know someone who has spent time around both in a football setting.  Word is, Rafe is a great athlete and a good football player, but Ty is the next real deal.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: MB Hog on October 15, 2014, 08:29:25 pm
From what I hear, Ty Storey is going to be the story.  I know someone who has spent time around both in a football setting.  Word is, Rafe is a great athlete and a good football player, but Ty is the next real deal.

This is no comment on Rafe or Ty, but the "next QB" is always the next real deal.

I loved Lou's quote "The fans favorite player is always the backup QB."
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

MB Hog

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on October 15, 2014, 08:32:19 pm
This is no comment on Rafe or Ty, but the "next QB" is always the next real deal.

I hear you.  I have high hopes for Rafe, so it caught me off guard when the guy said he wasn't as good of a QB as advertised.  But he did say Ty was extremely impressive.  I really hope they both do well... it is nice to know we keep pulling in highly touted QB prospects each year.  Surely one of them will be as good as we hope.

ballz2thewall

not to be a downer, but,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well, by god maybe i should anyway,,

most qb's that are hyped to be true dual threats are super flaming duds, and this goes for every team that recruits them; not just the hogs

two games and then to receiver or safety is the pattern more often than not.

just sayin; keep these "real deal" hopes in check.  i hope the hopes come true.

but i agree with consensus here; the best performing qb is the one that will play.  cbb has too much on the line, if nothing else.  i offer one caveat to the last statement - cbb has stated that he believes in building players. this translates among other things into keeping a redshirt a redshirt if we can.

and to reiterate what someone already said.  between two qbs that have equal qb skills - the one with legs will play more in ANY system.
The rest of the frog.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: hogz11 on October 15, 2014, 09:01:50 pm
Good grief people. I said I trust the coaches but I don't like the FACT that the Allen brothers are 1 & 2 on the depth chart and their dad is on staff. I simply made the comparison of Peavy=Wilson because of their style similarity. I believe in CBB and support him 100%. Doesn't mean I can't speak my mind and give my opinion however worthless it is......

we're just criticising your mind man, not talking about your mother.  ease up.

its called a discussion for a reason.

shyt, you sound like my ex wife.
The rest of the frog.

grayhawg

Good grief people. I said I trust the coaches but I don't like the FACT that the Allen brothers are 1 & 2 on the depth chart and their dad is on staff. I simply made the comparison of Peavy=Wilson because of their style similarity. I believe in CBB and support him 100%. Doesn't mean I can't speak my mind and give my opinion however worthless it is......
And both the Allen boys had a redshirt year, people screaming for Austin last year and still he redshirted BECAUSE he was not ready. There is no conspiracy there.
  Sit back, watch the improvement and enjoy it.

ballz2thewall

grayhog said it better than i.  i came across a bit too aggressive.   
The rest of the frog.

bennyl08

Quote from: greenie on October 15, 2014, 06:10:54 pm
Me neither, beyond what I heard when Duwop was recruited: he's big and mobile and a QB.  Next thing I hear, he's moved to WR.  There must have been some sort of QB skills deficit compared to the others.

Rafe certainly is an athletic kid, too.  I think the spring competition in 2016 will be interesting with BA gone and Storey most likely coming off his red shirt year.  Good competition between Rafe, Austin, and Ty.

One last thing...I have been very impressed with the mobility of BA.  He's not a running threat to the point where they call running plays for him, but he has proven that he can extend plays, and even get yards, against the best of defenses.  To me, that's what Russell Wilson brought to the table.  I'm a BA fan.

AJ Derby was a big, athletic, and a quarterback. It just turns out he didn't have the arm talent to play quarterback. There are lots and lots and lots of guys who can throw a football really hard who are also very athletic. They have trouble with accuracy, reading defenses, etc... and end up playing a position other than qb.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Ramtough

Imagine if you will a player as fast as Matt Jones that has a arm better than Brandon Allen. Now explain to me how this kid doesn't start at QB for the Razorbacks next year. There will be only one explanation that I will believe and it has nothing to do with talent and I'm talking about Peavey.  As for Duwop it must be hard for him and his family to watch this much talent set and waste his college career at Arkansas.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Ramtough on October 15, 2014, 09:19:19 pm
Imagine if you will a player as fast as Matt Jones that has a arm better than Brandon Allen. Now explain to me how this kid doesn't start at QB for the Razorbacks next year. There will be only one explanation that I will believe and it has nothing to do with talent and I'm talking about Peavey.  As for Duwop it must be hard for him and his family to watch this much talent set and waste his college career at Arkansas.

Because it's a lot for a freshman to learn... I was all about peavey getting a chance, which I don't feel like he really got, but ba was the better option.

Who knows about duwop, his passes looked kind of rough on tape.

root_hawg

Seen Peavey play multiple times in HS, he isn't as fast as Matt and doesn't have more arm strength than either of the Allen bros.

blu

I think Austin and Rafe are both in the 4.6 range, a little quicker than BA. Next year's battle for #2 and #1 in '16 will be very interesting.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

Peter Porker

Quote from: blu on October 16, 2014, 04:08:44 am
I think Austin and Rafe are both in the 4.6 range, a little quicker than BA. Next year's battle for #2 and #1 in '16 will be very interesting.

Austin is not faster than Brandon.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: bigred223 on October 15, 2014, 05:53:27 pm
If he is the best player, then he will start.

I am sure that Coach Beliema does not start Brandon because his dad is "lobbying for him." I assume you are just trolling, but I guess you could be that naive.

If Rafe is half as good as Russell Wilson, then we will be lucky. You realize you are talking about a guy that won a Super Bowl last year.

Of course he realizes Rafe is as good as Wilson. Just as he thought TW was as good as Mallett. Then when the next QB sits on the bench he will be the next rising star.

I don't care if they are Wilson, Manning, or Brady. Heck just give me the efficiency and decision making of McCarron as he did pretty well with Bama.

I do think BA has the skill level of McCarron, so just needs to raise his decision making to his level. Which is very possible,
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

ChitownHawg

While speed and arm strength are good for a QB - so is reading defenses and going through your progressions. Many talented QBs have failed because of these last two.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

LZH

Quote from: ChitownHawg on October 16, 2014, 05:45:19 am
While speed and arm strength are good for a QB - so is reading defenses and going through your progressions. Many talented QBs have failed because of these last two.

This is what's keeping him from playing right now...or at least that's my understanding of the whole deal.  If/when he can start recognizing things and putting it all together, he's gonna be the man.

secfan30

Quote from: Hogarusa on October 15, 2014, 05:51:20 pm
A running QB can thrive in any offense

And fail in any offense just like a drop back passer.

Hoggie17

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on October 15, 2014, 08:32:19 pm

Lou is not always right, when Jones was the QB he was my favorite player.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: LZH on October 16, 2014, 05:53:32 am
This is what's keeping him from playing right now...or at least that's my understanding of the whole deal.  If/when he can start recognizing things and putting it all together, he's gonna be the man.

Until the next man is sitting on the bench.  ;)

But my understanding is the same as yours. I think some don't understand Chaney's playbook is not something a freshman can run.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

ChitownHawg

Quote from: twistitup on October 16, 2014, 07:04:13 am
?

Meaning they don't understand it well enough to be successful during the game. BA was not a freshman last year and they couldn't run the whole playbook. Iirc

So it isn't realistic to expect a freshman to grasp it a few months removed from high school.

Sorry for being lazy and not clearly explaining myself.  ;D

Kevin

Does fayetteville high school run a similar offense to greenwood?
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

twistitup

Quote from: ChitownHawg on October 16, 2014, 07:07:35 am

Meaning they don't understand it well enough to be successful during the game. BA was not a freshman last year and they couldn't run the whole playbook. Iirc

So it isn't realistic to expect a freshman to grasp it a few months removed from high school.

Sorry for being lazy and not clearly explaining myself.  ;D

I understand...but from watching it does not seem like the offense is overly complicated. Maybe I'm wrong, but it appears we run the same basic 12-15 plays over and over
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

popcornhog

You serious Clark?

I'm pretty sure zero people think BA walks on water.

What are you talking about?
WPS

HawgTide

Quote from: root_hawg on October 16, 2014, 03:37:37 am
Seen Peavey play multiple times in HS, he isn't as fast as Matt and doesn't have more arm strength than either of the Allen bros.

You nailed it. I'm not sure what the other guy was thinking.

ricepig

Quote from: root_hawg on October 16, 2014, 03:37:37 am

This, he's good, but let it all play out.

Maximus Tusk

Quote from: root_hawg on October 15, 2014, 07:56:34 pm
Peavey=Wilson has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.  You are comparing a 3rd string QB in college to a Super Bowl winning QB.  I really don't see Rafe being more than a backup to either Austin or Storey.
Ahhh...a voice of reason. Kid has not even taken a college snap yet! Wow

Youngsta71701

Quote from: twistitup on October 16, 2014, 08:57:52 am
I understand...but from watching it does not seem like the offense is overly complicated. Maybe I'm wrong, but it appears we run the same basic 12-15 plays over and over

Out of a lot of different formations.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Hogberry Snortcake

Haha.  I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.  There's probably not anybody on the team faster than Matt Jones was.  I guess he's probably faster than he is now. 

Conspiracy theories are fun.

TDHawgs

Well, at first I thought that was a crazy comparison, but Rafe does compare very well with Wilson at least on the surface. Can he be as good on the field as Wilson though? That's yet to be seen, but check out this from Rivals:

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogz11 on October 15, 2014, 05:43:18 pm
I've thought more and more about this comparison and it seems pretty logical to me. With the offense CBB has established here and what he did at Wisky, it seems a QB that is a running threat can really thrive. It seems like Rafe would be a perfect fit for the offense and add an element that defenses will have to account for.

Keep in mind I'm counting on him also being able to pass efficiently as well. I trust the coaches and I'm not saying Rafe should've been the starter this year. I just really don't want to see him get stuck behind the Allen brothers if he is a legit talent.

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I do not like the fact that the top 2 QB's on our depth chart are brothers and their father is on staff regardless of his position. I find it hard to believe he isn't lobbying for his boys. I'd really like to see Rafe and Ty (assuming he is also legit) be the future of the QB position for Arkansas in the years to come....

Your last paragraph is ridiculous.  Bielema and the rest of the staff have their careers on the line.  They aren't going to be influenced by someone's father no matter the father's position. 

They will be the qb's of the future. 

They are 1 and 2 if for nothing else having been in the program and having had a longer time to absorb the offense.  Your first couple of paragraphs were okay.  Just look forward to having competition at the position again finally. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

prattville pig

It's amazing how so many people can't see how complicated Chaney's offense
is, all they see is a ball being handed to a running back and him running with it.  Watch the line, from the wide recievers all the way in to the center. There is a multitude of formations being used to make that run a success.  Ask Kevin Sumlin about it , he was honest about it.
Life's too short to last long.

jgphillips3

Unless Rafe was Peyton Manning good, he had zero chance of starting or even contributing this year.  Only a freak can play as a true freshman without a redshirt year.  Rafe will be ready to back up BA by next year and could even push for playing time.  If not, it will be decision making and ability not politics that prevent it.