Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Very Optimistic (Are YOU?)

Started by hawgchill, October 15, 2014, 03:53:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgchill

In addition to having our "heritage" jump outta the gym,meet ya at the rim talent,
Quarles/Kingsley/Harris/Miles/Babb are as athletic as ANY roster going into 14/15!

Our backcourt can/WILL only get better with Lee Mayberry's input...
Beard/Durham are already quite good at entry passing and midrange shots
(btw, Keaton Mile's will be our best midrange SF since Joe Johnson/Sonny Weems),
  Quarles and AB-Threeeeee!! (Athlon Bell) will have every chance along with Ky
to be deadly spot-up three point shooters for the first time in their Razorback careers..

In this humble opinion, If we gain early season (road) confidence, THIS squad SHOULD
only continue to grow throughout the upcoming season! THAT is exciting...

Would Love to hear the hogville family's breakdown of the looming HawgBALLA season.

Especially Breems/Blu/HA/RazorAG/Biggus and Mhuff's

HawgAdvocate

Aside from a prolonged injury to Portis, there should be no reason why this team doesn't make the Dance. I even expect us to win at least game or two as well, while we're there.

This is a veteran team with high-end talent both inside (Portis) and outside (Madden/Qualls). The scheduling issues have been resolved, so that should no longer be a hindrance moving forward. 

Looking back over the past 15 seasons, if there was EVER a season to be 'all in' as a fan, this upcoming season is it for the men's basketball team.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hawg Red

Everyone should be on the same page this year -- Hogs in the Dance with a legitimate shot at advancing.

We all have reason to be very optimistic.

The_Iceman

This is the best team we have had on campus since 2006 (Brewer, Modica, Townes)... or maybe even further back than that. There are no excuses going into this season for not making the NCAA tournament.

Hawgboy64

I expect sweet sixteen or better.  Best talent on the Hill in 2 decades. Portis should be SEC player of the year candidate.  We just need a point guard to step up to go next level. IMO
"Of all the things I've lost, my mind is what I miss the most." Mark Twain

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: Hawg Red on October 15, 2014, 04:15:09 pm
Everyone should be on the same page this year -- Hogs in the Dance with a legitimate shot at advancing.

We all have reason to be very optimistic.

Even City Hog?
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

bigred223

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 15, 2014, 04:02:24 pm
Aside from a prolonged injury to Portis, there should be no reason why this team doesn't make the Dance. I even expect us to win at least game or two as well, while we're there.

This is a veteran team with high-end talent both inside (Portis) and outside (Madden/Qualls). The scheduling issues have been resolved, so that should no longer be a hindrance moving forward. 

Looking back over the past 15 seasons, if there was EVER a season to be 'all in' as a fan, this upcoming season is it for the men's basketball team.

Advocate, I agree, with this year being the year we get to the sweet sixteen.

Breems

I think we may start a little slow since we have new guards learning the defense and such. This team should be able to catch up pretty quick and make the dance easily with a good schedule and slightly bruised SEC.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Breems on October 15, 2014, 07:44:40 pm
I think we may start a little slow since we have new guards learning the defense and such. This team should be able to catch up pretty quick and make the dance easily with a good schedule and slightly bruised SEC.

Breems, I agree but you will complain about the SEC refs after every loss. I can see your threads in conference play. "The refs cost the Hogs the game!"

Breems

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 15, 2014, 08:23:22 pm
Breems, I agree but you will complain about the SEC refs after every loss. I can see your threads in conference play. "The refs cost the Hogs the game!"

Yea, since I do that.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

texhog

Reserved my tickets for SMU.  Come on DFW; let's show up in force at Moody.  Students should be out for Thanksgiving.  This would be a good away win.

azhog10

Never thought I would be less optimistic than HA on a CMA coached team. But after a couple conversations I have had with different people I am still tempering my expectations. The comments I heard could have just been someone trying to slow play how good this team could be, or they are really worried about things with this team, and aren't sure how it will play out till the season starts. So with that being said, I'm still not ready to jump on the Sweet 16 or better bandwagon. I still think this team will be great at home, but the road concerns are still there. Sure we have a lot of guys that are one year older. But, I am not sold that are help defense and zone defense will be where it needs to be.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on October 16, 2014, 09:45:26 am
Never thought I would be less optimistic than HA on a CMA coached team.

My NIT prediction for last year's team was too negative for some to handle I guess.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: azhog10 on October 16, 2014, 09:45:26 am
Never thought I would be less optimistic than HA on a CMA coached team. But after a couple conversations I have had with different people I am still tempering my expectations. The comments I heard could have just been someone trying to slow play how good this team could be, or they are really worried about things with this team, and aren't sure how it will play out till the season starts. So with that being said, I'm still not ready to jump on the Sweet 16 or better bandwagon. I still think this team will be great at home, but the road concerns are still there. Sure we have a lot of guys that are one year older. But, I am not sold that are help defense and zone defense will be where it needs to be.

What were your initial expectations?
What was the substance of the conversations that you had with those people and how did that affect your expectations?
As far as road concerns go, every team has those. Last years team made some strides on the road. This team must improve upon that mark. Experience will help in that department and we have a lot of that. You go out on a limb and say that you think that this team will be great at home (okay Captain Obvious) but that the road concerns are still there. Our guys are a year older but, yada, yada, yada....

Don't be scare. Turn up!!!
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2014, 10:06:27 am
My NIT prediction for last year's team was too negative for some to handle I guess.
I never said that prediction nor any of your predictions this year were "negative". Just saying I have been much more optimistic in the past than some/most posters. This year I see a lot more people more optimistic than I.

azhog10

Quote from: TomBigBeeHog on October 16, 2014, 10:16:52 am
What were your initial expectations?
What was the substance of the conversations that you had with those people and how did that affect your expectations?
As far as road concerns go, every team has those. Last years team made some strides on the road. This team must improve upon that mark. Experience will help in that department and we have a lot of that. You go out on a limb and say that you think that this team will be great at home (okay Captain Obvious) but that the road concerns are still there. Our guys are a year older but, yada, yada, yada....

Don't be scare. Turn up!!!
Just concerned about where the production will come from and the "quality" of the depth this team has. Durham may end up surprising folks, but lets not forget I believe he was at an NAIA school or D2/3 school before he went to JUCO.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2014, 10:06:27 am

Advocate, gotta go all out in 2015 because 2016 will be another NIT team

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: azhog10 on October 16, 2014, 12:13:01 pm
I never said that prediction nor any of your predictions this year were "negative".

Sorry, perhaps I should have used 'pessimistic' instead.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 16, 2014, 01:49:41 pm

If Portis goes pro, that's certainly possible.

azhog10

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2014, 01:53:52 pm
Sorry, perhaps I should have used 'pessimistic' instead.
Nothing pessimistic in your prediction this year, and I would have to go back and read the context of your post last year, but NIT shouldn't have been pessimistic either.

The_Iceman

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 16, 2014, 01:49:41 pm

2015-2016 Roster (if Portis goes pro):

PG: Durham / Beard
G: Bell / Whitt / Hannahs
G: Qualls / Babb
F: Miles / Williams
C: Kingsley / Thompson

We'd still have 2 more scholarships to offer for the 2015 class.

HawgAdvocate

Danny J

October 16, 2014, 03:26:40 pm #24 Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:36:45 pm by Danny J
Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 15, 2014, 04:02:24 pm

Totally agree......

I started to type out a long response but quickly realized it would just be rehashing all the above statements.

I think 1st or 2nd in the SEC and sweet 16 or higher is very very possible. I don't think we will fully realize this teams potential until the end of January.

hawgchill

LOVE this hogville FAMILY!

Best fan site in ALL of America in my opinion

Thanks for the great responces   ;) ;)

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Breems on October 15, 2014, 08:34:12 pm
Yea, since I do that.

You and FCJ blame the refs more than anyone on Jump Ball

Big Nasty 34

I agree with AZ, until they go to Ames and actually compete for 40 minutes, or to an empty venue and just throttle someone, I'm tempering expectations. We'll go undefeated at home, but I wanna see a figment of that team in all arenas!

-Blu

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on October 16, 2014, 04:51:22 pm
You and FCJ blame the refs more than anyone on Jump Ball

I don't have a dog in this fight, I don't talk about refs too much.   Last year was my first time in basketball really saying anything about the refs, and I will say @Tennessee and @Vandy last year were horribly officiated. 

Vandy we still overcame and got the win, thanks to last second heroics by Qualls, but I just remember their PG being able to run full speed to the basket and get every single call, it was ridiculous.  And I'll never forget the ref being right beside him as he ran out of bounds on the sidelines and didn't call anything, the broadcasters were even like how in the world can you miss that call.  And who could forget them giving Stallings a free timeout at the end of the game when he was out, almost worked out for them because they got a wide open shot.  And Tennessee it was just an overall mess, they called everything against us.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Danny J on October 16, 2014, 03:26:40 pm
I think 1st or 2nd in the west...

Remember, there are no more west/east divisions in SEC basketball. We'll need to be a top four SEC team. Finishing among the top three is my expectation.

Danny J

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2014, 06:00:40 pm
Remember, there are no more west/east divisions in SEC basketball. We'll need to be a top four SEC team. Finishing among the top three is my expectation.
Yeah....just noticed the typo. I meant 1st or 2nd in the SEC. I am not sure about the SECt but regular season for sure. I believe we have a chance for a 4 seed in the NCAAt if not higher. This season will boil down to one thing: mental toughness. If we have overcome that hurdle, which I suspect we have, we will finish with a good SEC road record which is what we will need to finish strong. I am not looking for us to go undefeated in the nonconf as I believe it will take time for Beard, Durham and Miles to feel comfortable with the in game rotation and allow chemistry to form. Still thinking end of January we will be playing like a top 10 team.

Mental toughness

mhuff

October 16, 2014, 06:57:04 pm #31 Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 09:45:43 am by mhuff
Hawgchill, I am usually optimistic at the beginning of a season. I once played on a team that was #1 in the state my jr. year. We graduated 3 all state and one honorable mention players. The next year we finished 3rd in the state going into the tourney. My junior year I played tailback. If I got up, the coach said , " Get your tail back down on that bench. I only mention this because whether you are talking about Portis or whomever, players improve as they get more experience and play good competition; therefore, I am not ready to write off the season next year if Portis goes pro. I think we may recruit players that are as good on defense and offense as he..... or close enough. One man does not make a team. Once you establish a program players work harder to keep the tradition going.

As for this year, I think we could be better than last year. First, we have guards coming in that are better shooters. Plus, Scott's 47% from the FT line will be improved upon. I look for out team FT% to be better. I look for our team shooting % to be better. I look for most everything to be better. The defense and coaching are the two things I will be looking at most. The offense will take take care of itself this year as we have the opportunity to play big boy BB this year. Our full court press is played too loose ,so teams have been passing over our press and scoring on us before we can get back down and set up a defense. We also need to trap in the corners more. Regardless, if our defense improves, we will get more TO points. In my world, your defense is your offense. Lastly, this is MA's last year to show me that he can coach. We have to have a game plan and win on the road.

I always like Azhog's analysis. He has been in the trenches and is more realistic than I.  One game at a time. But I am optimistic ,and smarter people than I are projecting great things.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 16, 2014, 01:54:24 pm
If Portis goes pro, that's certainly possible.

I'm assuming he des go pro and no guarentee that Qualls returns either.