Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Long on Michigan's Short list

Started by Arazorbackguy1, October 15, 2014, 11:46:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Torqued pork

I've never heard of a bidding war for an AD. Lots of coordinators make more than the AD.

rhog1

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 15, 2014, 02:12:38 pm
Where is Long mentioned in the article?
Looks like the names were edited out at some point. When I read it earlier it said Jeff Long, Uconn's AD and someone else were the names contacted.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ATLHog on October 15, 2014, 12:59:31 pm
JL is in line for SEC Commissioner- might not be now but he'll run the SEC one day.

All you all knowing and omnipotent one's please let me know who to bet on...........otherwise just SAY you are only speculating.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dominicanhog

I have nothing to say about Jeff's ability or should he stay or go, but didn't he get a raise when his name came up about Stanford, another when his name came up about Texas? I wonder does he get another now?

Seems eerily similar to a coach we use to have... 

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razorback026 on October 15, 2014, 02:53:07 pm
I would think GM, Ford, and Chrysler would beg to differ....not to mention JL's wife has been very vocal for her love of Ann Arbor and dislike of Fayetteville.

I've NEVER heard Fanny say anything bad about Fayetteville............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Dominicanhog

Quote from: Torqued pork on October 15, 2014, 02:59:03 pm
I've never heard of a bidding war for an AD. Lots of coordinators make more than the AD.

our's makes a million a year, how many coordinators make more than that? 

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Possible Oatmeal on October 15, 2014, 12:56:17 pm
Losing Jeff Long would be a potential disaster.

Que Debby Gibson's Only in my dreams.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

He won't move until the job is done.
This is my non-signature signature.

ricepig

Quote from: Augustus on October 15, 2014, 02:37:45 pm
Ok. But, doesn't his daughter go to school at UofA? 

Well, I'm sure they have discounts for university personnel at Michigan, too.

scorekeeper

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on October 15, 2014, 01:19:25 pm
"Good Old Boy Network".  It's an unnamed and non-specific mythical group that supposedly runs things at the U of A.  They ride dragons and have blood sacrifices.
I also heard something about orgies with mermaids...
If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

Razorback026

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 15, 2014, 03:03:50 pm
I've NEVER heard Fanny say anything bad about Fayetteville............................

Her tune may have changed by now, and I hope it has...but when they first arrived I heard first hand, she wasn't a big fan of Fayetteville....which is odd, because Fayetteville and Ann Arbor are not that much different.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razorback026 on October 15, 2014, 03:52:09 pm
Her tune may have changed by now, and I hope it has...but when they first arrived I heard first hand, she wasn't a big fan of Fayetteville....which is odd, because Fayetteville and Ann Arbor are not that much different.

True about the towns being similar. Ann Arbor is a prototypical college town like Fayetteville. I do like Fayetteville better but then again I'm biased.

hellwonthaveme

Quote from: LZH on October 15, 2014, 02:03:02 pm
Ha!  Me too.  I also plan to offer Angus Young and Slash, then sit back and marvel over all the interest it's gonna generate.

I think you might be able to get Slash.....

I prefer Warren Haynes in mine though

PRJ

LZH

Quote from: Porkrind Jimmy on October 15, 2014, 03:56:47 pm
I think you might be able to get Slash.....

I prefer Warren Haynes in mine though

PRJ

Ha!  WH is a smooth cat, btw.

Razorback026

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 15, 2014, 03:56:17 pm
True about the towns being similar. Ann Arbor is a prototypical college town like Fayetteville. I do like Fayetteville better but then again I'm biased.

Plus in Fayetteville, you don't have to put up with a grey, long, depressing winter!  Lived in the Detroit area for 6 years and I'll never get over those grey winters!  Talk about seasonal affective disorder!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Razorback026 on October 15, 2014, 04:03:29 pm
Plus in Fayetteville, you don't have to put up with a grey, long, depressing winter!  Lived in the Detroit area for 6 years and I'll never get over those grey winters!  Talk about seasonal affective disorder!

Worked up there briefly a couple of times before. I've never seen so many cars rusted out along the sides and was told because of the road salting in the winter. I'm not talking about old cars either! There were pot holes in the roads every 10 feet! I never will forget having to take deposits to a bank with BOTH an armed guard AND the tellers behind bullet proof glass inside the building NOT the drive through.

Been10Hog

I would think GM, Ford, and Chrysler would beg to differ....not to mention JL's wife has been very vocal for her love of Ann Arbor and dislike of Fayetteville.
Then surely you have a "Link" to this "vocal" dislike of Fville

gchamblee

I would imagine Jeff Long is on everyones short list that is shopping for a new AD.

Laughing Hog

GM, Ford and Chrysler's money goes to the thug unions...... ask the shareholders
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

hogcard1964

Quote from: gchamblee on October 15, 2014, 04:48:33 pm
I would imagine Jeff Long is on everyones short list that is shopping for a new AD.

Yes, that based on his success here. ;)

Laughing Hog

Quote from: scorekeeper on October 15, 2014, 03:36:44 pm
I also heard something about orgies with mermaids...

I'm not sure bout that, kinda smells fishy.........
"Gun control laws are, in effect, a set of occupational safety laws for criminals – They are the OSHA regulations for burglars, muggers, carjackers and other criminal scum" "The 2nd Amendment violates a criminal's right to a safe work environment."<br /><br />Speed Kills and Speed wins, especially in the SEC<br />3*'s DON'T BEAT 5*'s<br /><br />"They" really should bring back halter tops (like puppies in a gunny sack)<br /><br />Marriage is like a tornado. It starts with a lot of sucking and blowing, shaking and howling. When it's over someone loses a house!

Hawgfan27

I think his new playoff committee title may give him incentive to stay in the SEC

BorderPatrol

Quote from: hogcard1964 on October 15, 2014, 04:53:55 pm
Yes, that based on his success here. ;)

You don't think Jeff Long has been successful at Arkansas?

You are kidding, right?

bp

Rocky&Boarwinkle

LZH

Quote from: Rocky&Boarwinkle on October 15, 2014, 05:16:33 pm
Well they are the Wonderbread Boys

And I thought I could slip that one by everybody...............:P

dwcherr

Quote from: BorderPatrol on October 15, 2014, 04:58:22 pm

You are kidding, right?

bp

Successful as in nearly tripling his salary (from $450,000 to $1.1M) in 5 years?

Yes, extremely

Successful as far as getting numerous personal accolades and personal recognition?

Again, extremely

Successfully presiding over the longest conference losing streak in the history of the school??

Yep, knocked that one out of the park too

Dark Helmet Hog

Long.

See. I made a short list with Long on it too. It is that easy.

Michigan won't be the last school interested in Long and he will be on several lists. Get used to it because it's what happens when others want what they perceive you have. Just because he is on the list doesn't mean there is mutual interest.

MojaveJoe

I think an AD can make or break a program, but you usually don't know how good/bad they are until they're gone.

JL is meh...But he has a great rep outside the state.

SPAL

Quote from: DukeOfPork on October 15, 2014, 02:16:35 pm
"Slice bread" was an athletic director?

Pretty sure he meant Kimbo Slice.... I blame autocorrect

pigstuff

Quote from: BorderPatrol on October 15, 2014, 04:58:22 pm

You are kidding, right?

bp

I am kind of puzzled too.  What has he done?

TXArcher

I'd bet he's on the short list for HMFIC for the SEC.

Augustus

Quote from: dwcherr on October 15, 2014, 05:26:19 pm
Successful as in nearly tripling his salary (from $450,000 to $1.1M) in 5 years?

Yes, extremely

Successful as far as getting numerous personal accolades and personal recognition?

Again, extremely

Successfully presiding over the longest conference losing streak in the history of the school??

Wrong. 

The reason he got that raise (that the BoT and/or Raz Found. approved)? Because he is worth.

The reason he received those accolades and recognition? Because he earned them.

And, you're talking about one sport. In which, the Coaches are responsible for the losses.

the A/D manages all programs, most of which are doing pretty good.

He faced extreme adversity, in the midst of a nationally 24/7 televised sex scandal, and came out smelling like a rose (to everyone except a faction of our fanbase).

A 1 Million + donation was even given, after Jeff Long handled the situation.

He has expanded facilities, not just for one program; and is about to begin stadium expansion.

His job is to Administer, not win football games.  And, in that respect, he's been extremely successful.

rzrbackrob

Yes, extremely

Again, extremely

I smell another raise
Good is the enemy of great

Jerrajo

Yes, extremely

Again, extremely

You left out successful at firing the best coach that we have had since joining the SEC just to make a name for himself. I hope Michigan hires Jeffie. I hate the egomaniac jerk.

DLUXHOG

You guys....   You will openly criticize a man for doing the right thing.....   sheesh...
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

Augustus

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 15, 2014, 07:10:33 pm
You left out successful at firing the best coach that we have had since joining the SEC just to make a name for himself. I hope Michigan hires Jeffie. I hate the egomaniac jerk.

Bobby P was/is a brilliant offensive mind, yes; but "good coaches" down cause scandals that lead to meltdowns of their programs.

Jerrajo

Quote from: Augustus on October 15, 2014, 07:06:30 pm
Wrong. 

The reason he got that raise (that the BoT and/or Raz Found. approved)? Because he is worth.

The reason he received those accolades and recognition? Because he earned them.

And, you're talking about one sport. In which, the Coaches are responsible for the losses.

the A/D manages all programs, most of which are doing pretty good.

He faced extreme adversity, in the midst of a nationally 24/7 televised sex scandal, and came out smelling like a rose (to everyone except a faction of our fanbase).

A 1 Million + donation was even given, after Jeff Long handled the situation.

He has expanded facilities, not just for one program; and is about to begin stadium expansion.

His job is to Administer, not win football games.  And, in that respect, he's been extremely successful.

If you were to take a vote on Hogville you might think that faction of the fanbase that wanted to keep Bob was small. But if you were to take a poll among "average" fans. I think you would find that far more feel like Jeff screwed up.

I see CBB improving. But I'd rather have Petrino because I enjoy watching a great passing game and a coach who can make in game adjustments. I'm not a three yards and a cloud of dust kind of guy. Years and years of that at Arkansas and I'd had my fill. Petrino was our only relief from that crap. Then Long fires him and takes us right back to Nuttball.

Long needs to go. The sooner the better. I wouldn't walk across the street to urinate on him if he was on fire.

GaRazorbackFan

Do you think if Jeff Long leaves we could get Houston Nutt as our AD??? lol I have got to quit drinking!

Jerrajo

Quote from: Augustus on October 15, 2014, 07:16:24 pm
Bobby P was/is a brilliant offensive mind, yes; but "good coaches" down cause scandals that lead to meltdowns of their programs.

It was hardly a scandal. He cheated on his wife and hired his mistress. Thats not a scandal. Long knew what was going on.. He just choose to NOT stand behind his guy when he got busted. So he could make a name for himself.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 15, 2014, 07:17:52 pm
If you were to take a vote on Hogville you might think that faction of the fanbase that wanted to keep Bob was small. But if you were to take a poll among "average" fans. I think you would find that far more feel like Jeff screwed up.

I see CBB improving. But I'd rather have Petrino because I enjoy watching a great passing game and a coach who can make in game adjustments. I'm not a three yards and a cloud of dust kind of guy. Years and years of that at Arkansas and I'd had my fill. Petrino was our only relief from that crap. Then Long fires him and takes us right back to Nuttball.

Long needs to go. The sooner the better. I wouldn't walk across the street to urinate on him if he was on fire.

It's all about you and what you want isn't it?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

MojaveJoe

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 15, 2014, 07:19:10 pm
It was hardly a scandal. He cheated on his wife and hired his mistress. Thats not a scandal. Long knew what was going on.. He just choose to NOT stand behind his guy when he got busted. So he could make a name for himself.

Hiring your mistress and putting her on the University payroll put the University at risk. If it was only an affair I think we would have held onto BP.

Augustus

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 15, 2014, 07:17:52 pm

First off, this thread is about Jeff Long... Not Bret Bielema.

But, to you "3 yards and a cloud of dust" comment...  We are NOT that team.

We're a "6-7 yards and a cloud of dust" team.  Collins and Williams are averaging 6.9 and 6.6 YPC, respectively.

Brandon Allen has 997 yards passing on the season, with 10 TDs.

And, that's with half of our schedule being SEC West teams thus far.

We actually have a formidable defense now, something we did not have under your boy Petrino.

Our Defense actually leads the SEC with 33 passes broken up (or whatever term they're using for it).  Saturday night was the best defensive performance I've seen from the Hogs in probably 2 decades.

Our defense played Bama better than Ole Miss' "great" and highly-touted defense played them.

Jerrajo

Quote from: DLUXHOG on October 15, 2014, 07:19:23 pm
It's all about you and what you want isn't it?

I'm a fan so yes... I'm tired of the same old ground and pound crap.. We had a wide open offense for once. And Long is the guy who ruined it. I hope he gets hired away or leaves ... Why should it be about what you want ?

A great ground game and 0-15. You got your way. Seems like things were better my way. So why is it so bad ?

Hey, I agree that Bobby Petrino needed firing.  I also offer that he wouldn't have ever won an SECC with the defenses he was happy with.  I often wonder why Jeff Long felt he needed to call a press conference to fire the Guy.  Has never set right with me.

With Long knowing the attitudes of both Petrino and J L Smith, how in Christ's name did he ever think that kind of change would work.  That was a management mistake that would get nearly any CEO fired.  Hiring BB wasn't a home run but it wasn't a failure either.  We could do worse than Jeff Long. 

Jerrajo

Quote from: Augustus on October 15, 2014, 07:40:15 pm
First off, this thread is about Jeff Long... Not Bret Bielema.

But, to you "3 yards and a cloud of dust" comment...  We are NOT that team.

We're a "6-7 yards and a cloud of dust" team.  Collins and Williams are averaging 6.9 and 6.6 YPC, respectively.

Brandon Allen has 997 yards passing on the season, with 10 TDs.

And, that's with half of our schedule being SEC West teams thus far.

We actually have a formidable defense now, something we did not have under your boy Petrino.

Our Defense actually leads the SEC with 33 passes broken up (or whatever term they're using for it).  Saturday night was the best defensive performance I've seen from the Hogs in probably 2 decades.

Our defense played Bama better than Ole Miss' "great" and highly-touted defense played them.

Petrino was only here 4 years.. He built his offense first. His defense was good enough to go 21-5 and many of the best defenders on this team are his guys..

So sell that Petrino didn't care about defense garbage to one of your many yes men. I know better.

Jerrajo

Oh one more thing Augustus.. How many yards per carry are these backs averaging in the second half of SEC games ? Look it up. Then tell me we aren't right back at three yards and a cloud of dust. If that many. Our offense is a bad joke. Petrino was fun to watch. He put butts in the seats and he WON... Firing him was stupid. Ironically its the one thing that Long has made a career out of...

So yeah I'm talking about Jeffie. He's a horrible AD who put himself above the program.

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: tusked on October 15, 2014, 12:05:53 pm
I can see how some fans can take or leave Jeff Long.  Just because he's not a Hog fans favorite AD doesn't make them stupid.  Just because Jeff Long has had a lot of success for Jeff Long doesn't mean he's the greatest Razorback AD since slice bread. 

For Jeff it's a job, not a way of life.

I don't remember an AD named sliced bread.
"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

Augustus

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 15, 2014, 07:43:42 pm
Petrino was only here 4 years.. He built his offense first. His defense was good enough to go 21-5 and many of the best defenders on this team are his guys..

So sell that Petrino didn't care about defense garbage to one of your many yes men. I know better.

That's funny.  During that 21-5 stretch, do you not remember having to come back late in the game against: Ole Miss, VANDERBILT, and A&M?

Petrino's defense gave up those points that gave those teams the lead. Petrino was just able to compensate with the offense.

Remember, alot of those defensive players during our 52-0, 52-7, and other blowouts... were Petrino's players, too.

And, if you think Trey Flowers would be any near as good as he is now under Petrino's crew vs Bielema's crew, you're a complete moron.

Augustus

Quote from: Jerrajo on October 15, 2014, 07:47:07 pm
Oh one more thing Augustus.. How many yards per carry are these backs averaging in the second half of SEC games ? Look it up. Then tell me we aren't right back at three yards and a cloud of dust. If that many. Our offense is a bad joke. Petrino was fun to watch. He put butts in the seats and he WON... Firing him was stupid. Ironically its the one thing that Long has made a career out of...

So yeah I'm talking about Jeffie. He's a horrible AD who put himself above the program.

I have looked it up, and posted on another thread for the idiots talking about firing Jim Chaney.

In the Bama game for instance? We averaged 1.5 YPC in the 2nd half. And folks are bitching about "Chaney abandoning the run game"... as if it's smart to abandon something that the opponent has made adjustments for and are shutting down.

But, guess what? We were able to pass the ball, even without your boy Petrino. We even scored.

The only thing that kept us in the game was our defense, the only thing that lost us the game was stupid mistakes.

Had we had a Petrino defense? It wouldn't have mattered, because Bama would have had 21-28 points on the board, and they'd be defending the pass they knew was coming.

In year 2, Bielema got closer to beating Bama than Petrino ever did. Even during that "21-5!!!" stretch.

Oh, and there was 72K+ butts in the seats last weekend. Not sure if you heard.

Mike Irwin

Care to explain that? When and where did she say those things?