Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The scramble drill

Started by Swineasaur, October 13, 2014, 05:27:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swineasaur

Not that we run a pass heavy offensive scheme but it was clear that we don't practice any drills of that nature (or we do and our receivers are not grasping the concept). it's kind of a head scratcher to me. Not that there is any comparison to arkansas high school football and the SEC, but geez man my school ran the deadT and we still practiced flowing our routes to a QB breaking out of the pocket. Just a tad irritating to me.

PorkSoda

I agree, recievers are not coming back to the ball when BA gets flushed.  I hope this gets fixed.

also, BA is pretty fast, sometimes he just needs to run it if no one is open.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Swineasaur

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 13, 2014, 05:43:55 pm
I agree, recievers are not coming back to the ball when BA gets flushed.  I hope this gets fixed.

It's not so much breaking your route back, yes one receiver need to come back, just flow the way that the play is rolling.

I do not agree with BA running with it though. Seldomly? Yes, but he hasn't shown the maturity to slide. I love the agression but if he gets hurt on a 5yrd run for a 1st down and is lost for the season is it worth it?

ricepig

Quote from: Swineasaur on October 13, 2014, 05:54:55 pm
It's not so much breaking your route back, yes one receiver need to come back, just flow the way that the play is rolling.

I do not agree with BA running with it though. Seldomly? Yes, but he hasn't shown the maturity to slide. I love the agression but if he gets hurt on a 5yrd run for a 1st down and is lost for the season is it worth it?

He did hit Keon on a nice scramble, but I noticed on some others, the guys just sort of waved saying, "I'm open".....

Mike Irwin

Practices are closed. There is no way to know what they do unless you are there and watch.

ricepig

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 06:00:27 pm
Practices are closed. There is no way to know what they do unless you are there and watch.

Well, we aren't proficient at it.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 13, 2014, 05:43:55 pm

A lot of Rutgers memories still alive. Best that the receiving corp learn to protect the QB as much as the offensive front.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Swineasaur

Quote from: ricepig on October 13, 2014, 05:58:02 pm
He did hit Keon on a nice scramble, but I noticed on some others, the guys just sort of waved saying, "I'm open".....
I must have not been paying attention on that play. I felt that when BA was ran out of the pocket he gave his guys enough time to find a way to break open towards his way. Most of the scrambles led to a sack or him trying to run. Maybe it's just me, I just feel that more passes should have been thrown than rushes from him but that's the only viable option he had.

Shoat

I've also noticed the "I'm open" hand waving.  Funny, their rarely "open" when BA tries to throw them the ball at other times.  No separation, no route deception and alas, no speed to beat their defenders.

Swineasaur

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 06:00:27 pm
As I was writing I came back and added the parenthese. As I mentioned if we are running them it isn't enough for it to become automatic in our receiving core.

PorkSoda

a bunch of times it looked like receivers would give up on their route and just stand there, if they had come back towards BA, he had time to get it to them, but they didn't.

I think they will have a lot of good teaching points in the film room this week. I like the direction the team is headed, we just need that something extra that turns broken plays into big gains.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.