Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why are they called "kids?"

Started by eusebius, October 13, 2014, 12:48:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

eusebius

I hear college fans, refer to the players as "kids." It's not just our fans but fans of other programs, primarily in the South. I have never understood that. Most of the players are over 18, some as old as 23. Is this a term of endearment? Or is it some veiled way of absolving them of responsibility? I have sons who are close to this age range, and at our house they are not kids, nor was I treated that way at those ages.

It also reminds me of a bit the late Tim Wilson did on Bobby Bowden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1EDJ1KZ44     
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

OTTER

Dude, what difference does it make!?
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

BorderPatrol

Wow, this place has done turned stupid.

bp

jimmur74

Most idiotic post EVER! Congrats!!

Reservoir Hogs

Well Im pretty young 33 but I refer to most college students as kids...

wupigsuey

Age doesn't make you mature. I don't know many 23 year olds I'd call mature. But, like the man said, what does it matter?
A Hogville member since July 24, 2004<br /><br />The average response time of a 911 call is 23 minutes, <br />the response time of a .357 is 1400 feet per second.

PorkSoda

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Poop Hoggy Hogg

Quote from: eusebius on October 13, 2014, 12:48:22 pm
I hear college fans, refer to the players as "kids." It's not just our fans but fans of other programs, primarily in the South. I have never understood that. Most of the players are over 18, some as old as 23. Is this a term of endearment? Or is it some veiled way of absolving them of responsibility? I have sons who are close to this age range, and at our house they are not kids, nor was I treated that way at those ages.

ive made some dumb posts before, but i was drunk. what's your excuse? we call them kids because they are dang kids! I call my 20something year old neighbors that recently got married "kids" and they ain't thought a thing of it. Some of y'all think too Damn hard!

Mike Irwin

It's some sort of a coaching thing that has been around forever. "Young men" would be a better way to put it but I don't think it matters much to the players.

I did a piece on media day called, myth or fact. The question to Brey Cook was,
"Offensive linemen don't like being referred to as 'kids' by coaches but they think it's funny when coaches use that term for defensive linemen because they really are kids. Myth or fact?"

Cook said it was a fact.

LZH

The older you get, the older the people you call "kids" get.  I'm 47 and a 25 year old is still a kid....mostly because I'm old enough to be his father.  Fwiw, anyone that I don't know very well and they're old enough to be my father, I still say "yes sir/no sir" and call him "Mr. ___________".

DeltaBoy

Quote from: LZH on October 13, 2014, 02:00:32 pm
The older you get, the older the people you call "kids" get.  I'm 47 and a 25 year old is still a kid....mostly because I'm old enough to be his father.  Fwiw, anyone that I don't know very well and they're old enough to be my father, I still say "yes sir/no sir" and call him "Mr. ___________".

This!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

LZH

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 13, 2014, 02:02:03 pm
This!

Unless it's a 25 year old girl.  Then hopefully I'd call her 'Sweetie'.......

eusebius

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 01:56:21 pm
It's some sort of a coaching thing that has been around forever. "Young men" would be a better way to put it but I don't think it matters much to the players.

"Offensive linemen don't like being referred to as 'kids' by coaches but they think it's funny when coaches use that term for defensive linemen because they really are kids. Myth or fact?"

Cook said it was a fact.

Thanks Mike for the response and perspective.

Thanks Mike for the answer and perspective.   
These things I know: There's no doubt Gary Anderson was very underrated . . Ike Forte had the best number ever for a running back and the best thing about the option was that last second pitch right before the DE hits the quarterback.

texas tush hog

Cook said it was a fact.

I hear all the players in baseball referred to as kids, from little league to college. Such as there you go kid.  Listen to it for yourself. Drives me nuts.

rickm1976

Cook said it was a fact.

I had three of them in college at one time, and believe me,  they ARE kids!  Seriously, my 28 year old son is a HS football coach, and he refers to 18 year old HS seniors as kids.  He was an offensive lineman in college, and hated being called a kid too.  I guess some of it is payback.

1highhog

Quote from: eusebius on October 13, 2014, 12:48:22 pm

Because at my age they are kids.  They're wet behind the ears, they're whistledicks, that's just the way it is.  If any of y'all fall into that age category, then you think you know everything, then you reach 30 and realize you didn't know jack when you were 18-23, then when you're 40, you'll realize you still didn't know much at 40, its and ever learning process, but most of all, when you're 18-21, you think you're the smartest thing there ever was only to find out you were dumber than dirt.

DoctorSusscrofa

Most people aren't mature until 25 or later.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

LSUFan

Kids are best BBQed in a slow smoker.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

BatesvilleHOG

3 losses to top 15 teams in a down year where we were predicted to maybe be worse than the year before and Hogville goes bat sh*t crazy.

???

BatesvilleHOG

sorry double post, blame Suddenlink Internet and Barak Obama.

aar0n

I'm all of 27 years old and I can tell you there's a BIG difference in being 18-22 and being my age even, let alone older.  I thought I was a grown man when I was 18, but looking back now I was absolutely a kid.  I'm sure years from now I'll look back at when I was 27 and think of myself as a "kid" then too.

cbhawg03

I think it is a term of endearment more than anything, but the true answer is more complex. Term of endearment because of how much football means in the South, especially the SEC. These are our "kids" that play for our  :razorback:

That said though, I am with the others in what does it really matter

PorkSoda

Quote from: BatesvilleHOG on October 13, 2014, 03:04:46 pm
3 losses to top 15 teams in a down year where we were predicted to maybe be worse than the year before and Hogville goes bat sh*t crazy.

???
my thoughts exactly.  we are a good team, we just have a brutal schedule.  if we get a bowl, I feel sorry for whatever mid major gets matched up with us.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Lol......well, with all the headlines nearly every week that tell of college athletes being arrested, warrants, suspensions, dismissals, mischief, etc.......(& often wonder how many incidents that we don't hear about)...

Seems that quite a number of them are still acting like kids. Certainly hope these aren't all mature adults pulling these stunts.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: OTTER on October 13, 2014, 01:01:33 pm
Dude, what difference does it make!?

One of my pet peeves. It is because they are NOT kids................Anyone old enough to go fight for their county at 18 years old which is the same age as most of the players in college is NOT a kid. They are young adults.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

BrianWPS!!

Quote from: cbhawg03 on October 13, 2014, 03:11:29 pm
I think it is a term of endearment more than anything, but the true answer is more complex. Term of endearment because of how much football means in the South, especially the SEC. These are our "kids" that play for our  :razorback:

That said though, I am with the others in what does it really matter

This should just be copied and pasted every time this question comes up. Very well said I had never thought of it this way.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 13, 2014, 02:51:42 pm
Most people aren't mature until 25 or later.

"fully mature" maybe not......................but still a kid.............NO.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

John Futrall

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: LZH on October 13, 2014, 02:04:34 pm

Unless it's a 25 year old girl.  Then hopefully I'd call her 'Sweetie'.......

Yep....if she looks good, I'll call her anything she wants....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

OTTER

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 13, 2014, 03:18:42 pm
One of my pet peeves. It is because they are NOT kids................Anyone old enough to go fight for their county abt 18 years old which is the same age as most of the players in college is NOT a kid. They are young adults.
Really?  I have known a lot of brave soldiers between the age of 18 and 22 who were kids at heart and kids when they were at play.  They were also great soldiers in the field.  Shouldn't be a pet peeve for them to be both.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

HouSwine

Some of us kids somehow got stuck with these outdated bodies!

PORKULATOR

The only ones arguing they're not kids are the ones the same age... Purely assuming on my part, but i stand by it.
Wps
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

PORKULATOR

Quote from: OTTER on October 13, 2014, 03:29:44 pm
Really?  I have known a lot of brave soldiers between the age of 18 and 22 who were kids at heart and kids when they were at play.  They were also great soldiers in the field.  Shouldn't be a pet peeve for them to be both.
you can't argue with that dude, Otter... He's a stump in hog fan flesh with a keyboard at his fingertips... And he's wrong.
I joined the USAF at 20 and i was still a kid... I also told two million dollar aircraft where to fly in our airspace and controlled em until they could see the runway. But still a kid
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Because they are kids. If you are around college students for long, you realize they are still kids.  Legal age, etc., but still kids.

eusebius

Quote from: Karma on October 13, 2014, 03:49:32 pm
Because they are kids. If you are around college students for long, you realize they are still kids.  Legal age, etc., but still kids.

Do you think this is a good thing? Or is this endemic of a larger cultural problem? 

PorkSoda

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 13, 2014, 03:19:28 pm
"fully mature" maybe not......................but still a kid.............NO.
at what age to people magically transform from a kid to an adult?

Inhogswetrust

A kid is a kid...................a young adult is a young adult......................18 is not a kid. I'm 57 and sometimes act like a kid at heart.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: PorkSoda on October 13, 2014, 03:58:29 pm
at what age to people magically transform from a kid to an adult?

Nothing magical about it. For purposes of legalities and societal norms anyone that is old enough to vote or go to war isn't a kid imho. Therefore it is a matter of semantics but out of respect for persons 18 or older I don't think they should be called a "kid" even if they act like one sometimes. I'm 57 and still act like it sometimes as do ALL adults. Acting like a kid is not the same as being one.

Inhogswetrust

I'm 57 and act like a kid when playing sometimes. ALL adults do.

eusebius

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on October 13, 2014, 04:07:22 pm
I'm 57 and act like a kid when playing sometimes. ALL adults do.

Thanks all for helping me do a non scientific poll on the usage of the word "kid." Prior to the 1950's and the birth of teenage culture adulthood was something most entered into sooner based on responsibility and social norms. Through the 1960's and progressively until the current the ages of adolescence has been pushed back in our society. College aged individuals (18-25) are seen less and less as adults in many people's minds. The usage of "kid" is a term of endearment especially in the South, and it's also one of endearment in sports i.e. Ted Williams and Ken Griffey, Jr. and the 1950's Phillies, The Whiz Kids (avg age was only 26.4). Sorry if it elicited a Benghazi meme reaction :) But I do think it matters, because words are indicators of how we view the world. Calling them or not calling them kids usually has some meaning behind it. - 

secfan30

I'm in my 40's and get called kid sometimes.

Its what people 20+ years older than someone calls them especially in Sports. Never has been a big deal previously.

redeye

I never liked it either, but then players in the same class will call each other a kid, so I just accept it.  But they're certainly not kids and I'm nearing 50.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Cook said it was a fact.

Nutt called his players men... How'd that work out for ya..?  ;)
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

1highhog

Quote from: aar0n on October 13, 2014, 03:10:24 pm
I'm all of 27 years old and I can tell you there's a BIG difference in being 18-22 and being my age even, let alone older.  I thought I was a grown man when I was 18, but looking back now I was absolutely a kid.  I'm sure years from now I'll look back at when I was 27 and think of myself as a "kid" then too.

Yep, just as I stated.  I look back every 10 years, and it's easy to see I've got a lot more to go to be as wise as my Dad, who's going on 83.  But then again he'll tell you he's still doing what I do, every few years he looks back and realizes just how much more he's learned.  We continue to learn until the day we die.

1highhog

Quote from: redeye on October 13, 2014, 04:27:43 pm
I never liked it either, but then players in the same class will call each other a kid, so I just accept it.  But they're certainly not kids and I'm nearing 50.

Nope, they're kids.  My daughter and son-in-law are 34 and 36, I call them kids, because they are my kids.  But as far as the rest of the young'ns go, I call them kids until they can stand on their on feet, own their own house, are married and not mooch off of their parents any longer.