Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The national media

Started by Mike Irwin, October 13, 2014, 08:02:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Calling All Hogs

The reason for the respect is that Arkansas dominated the OOC schedule this year in a way I don't recall them doing including against a team like NIU that beat Northwestern.

Kevin

alabama: 4 quarter passing stats:

3 for 11
27 yards
1 int

that is 4 possessions.  4 possessions to get 1 score to win.

the defense played lights out, to bad the offense cannot pass gas, when it counts.

a&m 4th quarter stats:
3 for 7
18 yards

auburn 4th quarter stats:
3 for 8
14 yards
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

hogsanity

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on October 13, 2014, 12:22:19 pm
The reason for the respect is that Arkansas dominated the OOC schedule this year in a way I don't recall them doing including against a team like NIU that beat Northwestern.

I disagree, to some extent, I think the respect is because it is good sound tough football, and the national media, especially those that have played the game and/or been around more than 10 years, know it will be winning football in the long run.

But, I do agree about the ooc schedule, because that was the 1st step.  While losing to teams like rutgers and ulm in 2012 and 2013, and struggling with a team like Samford last year, the Hogs obliterated three ooc opponents ( vegas had the line at -14 only for the niu game ), and will probably be a three+td favorite against uab.  That shows marked improvement.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on October 13, 2014, 12:25:41 pm
4 quarter passing stats:

3 for 11
27 yards
1 int

that is 4 possessions.  4 possessions to get 1 score to win.

the defense played lights out, to bad the offense cannot pass gas, when it counts.

Not surprising.  We knew this would be an issue going into the season.  It may be once again next season although to a lesser extent.  The deficiency was amplified by playing against a very good defense including safety who played his position well on a pass that only a qb with a big arm should attempt.  This will be real concerning if we see this happening in future seasons especially 2016 and beyond. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2014, 12:26:27 pm
I disagree, to some extent, I think the respect is because it is good sound tough football, and the national media, especially those that have played the game and/or been around more than 10 years, know it will be winning football in the long run.

But, I do agree about the ooc schedule, because that was the 1st step.  While losing to teams like rutgers and ulm in 2012 and 2013, and struggling with a team like Samford last year, the Hogs obliterated three ooc opponents ( vegas had the line at -14 only for the niu game ), and will probably be a three+td favorite against uab.  That shows marked improvement.

I think part of it is because these writers talk to coaches and some talk to the recruiting analysts and they had formed a belief about where our program was based on this and are now surprised in a good way we are where we are.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 13, 2014, 12:30:31 pm
Not surprising.  We knew this would be an issue going into the season.  It may be once again next season although to a lesser extent.  The deficiency was amplified by playing against a very good defense including safety who played his position well on a pass that only a qb with a big arm should attempt.  This will be real concerning if we see this happening in future seasons especially 2016 and beyond. 

so 2016 when we are starting a first time starting qb, we should see it change.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Redhogs on October 13, 2014, 09:09:37 am
Don't be fooled..LSU will be allot better team by the time we play them...they have talent, just young. No breaks in this conference.
Unless we lose to them.  Then they will be terrible. 

Amazing how that works around here, huh?
All Gas, No Brakes!

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 13, 2014, 12:33:23 pm
I think part of it is because these writers talk to coaches and some talk to the recruiting analysts and they had formed a belief about where our program was based on this and are now surprised in a good way we are where we are.

Its the reason they predicted us last in the secw last year, and this year.  They talk to coaches, and coaches are paid to know their opponents personnel. The Hogs personnel is still not, on the whole, up to the level of other sec teams.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Kevin on October 13, 2014, 12:34:03 pm
so 2016 when we are starting a first time starting qb, we should see it change.

Perhaps. And if it doesn't in future seasons, staff changes will be made until ultimately a new head coach is hired.  But that is down the road. 

It isn't going to change much this season.

hoglady

Last year I was pretty critical of Beliema.

But good Lord, anyone who can't acknowledge the strides this team has made in one year is sticking their head in the sand.
I'm disappointed we lost - hate it for the players because it's obvious how hard they've worked.
Players and coaches have made in game mistakes - when a perfect game is played and called let me know because I've never seen one.
My hat is off to this staff and this team for the improvements made.
The SEC West has never been this good in the history of the SEC.
I hope we can pull out the wins needed for a bowl because this team deserves it.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Kevin

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 13, 2014, 12:40:11 pm
Perhaps. And if it doesn't in future seasons, staff changes will be made until ultimately a new head coach is hired.  But that is down the road. 

It isn't going to change much this season.

so anytime we are behind in the 4th quarter, this year & next, we are just going to lose

fakebobholt

They also point out how our bread and butter run game has produced 7 yards in 60 mins of football against bama and auburn in the 2nd half. Unfortunatly there isnt a media or who has gotten better bowl.

Im curious about the year 2 thing that keeps getting thrown out. Lets say we win 5-6  this year and 6-7 the following year. Have you taken into acct who we have to replace. Alot ofthe studs that are here now will be gone. We will have to replace a qb, unreal backs, TE's , some good Ends and LB's. We will be almost starting over again. Will we then have to wait a couple years to break in a qb. We are seeing now what having a good qb and not does for w/l's. Look at Bama, they are having issues with a first year qb, we have an awful lot riding on rafe or ty. This isnt the nfl where we get experience and gel together for awhike. We have to be able to plug in top players when others graduate. Does the clock re set in 16 when we will have alot of new faces in critical positions?

Albert Einswine

One of these games the players are going to overcome late and will their way to victory. They've been caught in a rut of doubt and lack of self confidence late in high pressure games, and all SEC games are high pressure. But that light will come on, and they will impose their will on the opponent. When that happens, look out.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hoglady

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 13, 2014, 12:50:41 pm
One of these games the players are going to overcome late and will their way to victory. They've been caught in a rut of doubt and lack of self confidence late in high pressure games, and all SEC games are high pressure. But that light will come on, and they will impose their will on the opponent. When that happens, look out.

I think you're right.
And I look forward to that day.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Pigstie

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 09:33:29 am
I've been around eight different coaching staffs in the 40 years I've covered this team. The reason I'm so optimistic is that this is the most impressive collection of coaches I've seen at this school since Broyles staff in 75.

1. They recruit against everybody. No more backing off a player because Alabama or LSU wants him.

2. The head coach actually cares about his players instead of just talking a good game. Consider the fact that Frank Ragnow was withheld from the Bama game because he'd suffered a mild concussion earlier in the week. The doctors cleared him but Bielema wanted to be extra cautious. Compare that to Petrino who often shamed players with legitimate injuries into playing anyway. The guy I do a radio show with every day once played with a torn hamstring. Petrino called him a [CENSORED] anyway.

3.There is a clearly spelled out code of discipline on this team. Alex Collins missed a Friday morning meeting in the bye week before Alabama. He sat out the 1st quarter. How many coaches would do that? And yet what is the message that is being sent? Live up to your responsibilities. If we all learn to do that we will win in football and in life.

4. After the game Bielema was in tears trying to explain how hard it is for him to watch these guys work so hard and not get the reward of a win. The players told us he was like that in front of them. They are ready to run through a brick wall for him.

5. Jim Harris asked Bielema a very tough question in the post game presser. Basically if there was a lack of discipline on the offensive side of the ball because of all the killer mistakes that are being made. I've known coaches who would have exploded at a question like that yet Bielema understood that it was a question he needed to answer. He accepted personal responsiblity for the screw ups and promised they'd be corrected.

Bielema's coaches are like him. They are the kind of men you'd want your own kids to play for.

I had a chance to retire this past summer at age 66 but being around Bielema and his staff has energized me. They are doing things the right way. It's the kind of football that I believe in. I want to see this process through.
Great post Mike, and I agree and respect everything you said. I just see one concern/question that I'm not sure has anything to do with how far we have come. In your opinion, are CBB and Chaney on the same page? I have heard CBB make a comment or two before regarding a play call here and there. I was surprised by the calls in the 4th quarter Saturday. Do the plays come straight from Chaney? Do they go through CBB first?
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

bpoecell

Quote from: Kevin on October 13, 2014, 12:10:41 pm
i already said he was winning three big 10 titles, so no it was not a problem.

again, it is happening here. how about we find out why, and make adjustments.

Lack of depth, plain and simple. We're not two deep on the o-line yet, so we wear ourselves out wearing the other team down, and we don't have the receivers to consistently get separation. We also don't have a quarterback who can consistently make plays when he's asked to drop back every down. All of these things are either on campus and redshirting or on the way.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on October 13, 2014, 01:12:21 pm
Yes, some come here to be entertained by starting shat and being giddy that they did.

HiM takes a bow.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogsanity

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 13, 2014, 01:14:51 pm

HiM takes a bow.

HIM at least usually has or will bring facts to back up what he posts.  Unlike the " yea ( insert chaney, BA, BB ) is horrible and not sec quality" posts we see here repeatedly from the same privileged few.

JMartin_AF1

:razorback:I have been a season ticket holder for eight or so years (my dad since the 70s until he could not go for health reasons), and I can rarely go to the games because of the military, but I still pay for those tickets because I love the Hogs (don't worry, my brother goes with my family and uses the tickets). This team this year is one of my favorites. I will be watching them when I deploy, watching them in the late hours in Germany, and I will continue to watch them no matter what. One day, we WILL hold that NC Trophy. Every time I go back home and watch a game, I truly appreciate how great the State of Arkansas is....so folks, be patience, support the Razorbacks, and Go HOGS!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2014, 01:20:38 pm
HIM at least usually has or will bring facts to back up what he posts.  Unlike the " yea ( insert chaney, BA, BB ) is horrible and not sec quality" posts we see here repeatedly from the same privileged few.

HiM puts effort into his trolling.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2014, 01:20:38 pm

HiM takes great pleasure in being an antagonist ass and adds nothing of value to sports discussion. Smug dooshery gets old after 8+ years.

Chief Mac

Quote from: Albert Einswine on October 13, 2014, 01:27:29 pm

HiM takes great pleasure in being an antagonist ass and adds nothing of value to sports discussion. Smug dooshery gets old after 8+ years.

HiM needs a good punch in the throat
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

LZH

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 08:10:32 am. It's got to help recruiting.

We need to storm the field after beating a 4-1 team for that.

Hog Milanese

I preferred being in the Top 10 all year and having everyone despise us for it.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Pigstie on October 13, 2014, 12:57:41 pm
Great post Mike, and I agree and respect everything you said. I just see one concern/question that I'm not sure has anything to do with how far we have come. In your opinion, are CBB and Chaney on the same page? I have heard CBB make a comment or two before regarding a play call here and there. I was surprised by the calls in the 4th quarter Saturday. Do the plays come straight from Chaney? Do they go through CBB first?
Chaney is in the booth and Bielema is wearing headsets so every play can be
overruled by Bielema. From what I can tell they get along fine. I don't expect a change of offensive coordinators if that's what you're asking.

hogsanity

The respect in the media will pay dividends on NSD too.  Instead of hearing about how the coach crept out of ATL, or left Louisville after signing a big contract.  Or how the coach may have been texting during a bowl game, or had players attack another player, etc, or the hc is in bankruptcy, etc recruits now hear about how BB is building something good in Fayetteville. They see him in press conferences take responsibility when things go wrong. They see him hurt for the players after a tough game like last Sat. They hear the national media talk about what a great job he has done in a short period of time.

hoghelmet14

So.... Coach B just battled the evil empire to within one point with one and a half years of recruiting....

While Coach Satan... er Saban who has had top 10 recruiting classes since the year before he was born.... just barely scrapped out a victory...

I think its stuff like this that is helping with media perception... that and Coach B is nice to them.... and don't kid yourself... that makes a BIG difference....

All this and the improvement Coach B is bringing to the Hogs makes me excited about our future....

Mark me down as a homer if you need to.... I am a RAZORBACK FAN... win lose or draw.... but winning is lots better.... Go Hogs!
Proud to be an American!  Proud to be an Arkansas Razorback Fan!

EastexHawg

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 13, 2014, 09:02:37 am
Agreed... We had all that we wanted during the HDN years. I don't want us to be the lovable losers like we were back then. They were overall negative towards us in the Petrino years because he was a jerk and had us winning at a level we weren't "supposed" to be.

Exactly right.  The talking heads like it when we are in what they consider our rightful place, not interloping and screwing up the natural order of things by trying to challenge the big boys.  If we have a good season next year they will go along with the entertaining "turnaround" story, but after that if we keep it up and start finishing above Auburn, LSU, or any of the other "traditional" SEC powers they will turn on us like a snake.  The sympathetic stories will turn to exposés and criticism.

hogsanity

Quote from: EastexHawg on October 13, 2014, 03:06:37 pm
Exactly right.  The talking heads like it when we are in what they consider our rightful place, not interloping and screwing up the natural order of things by trying to challenge the big boys.  If we have a good season next year they will go along with the entertaining "turnaround" story, but after that if we keep it up and start finishing above Auburn, LSU, or any of the other "traditional" SEC powers they will turn on us like a snake.  The sympathetic stories will turn to exposés and criticism.

So the national media is okay with old misses and msu fouling up the "natural order"?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2014, 03:46:12 pm
So the national media is okay with old misses and msu fouling up the "natural order"?

Yeah, they're eating it up, but they'll hate on us if we upset the natural order because our Arkansas persecution complex requires that they hate on us because we're Arkansas.

HF#1

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 08:48:09 am
15 straight conference games to teams that are really good. There has never been a 15 game stretch like that in the history of Hog football. Even Florida, which sucks right now, was a good football team the night they played the Hogs last year. The injury bug hit their defense right after that and they went to seed where they remain to this day.

Look at the Aggies. They could not beat Arkansas this week. They are done. But the week the Hogs played them they were top 10 and full of confidence.

Look at Georgia. A week ago at this time there were predictions that they were in trouble with the loss of Todd Gurley.  So they go out and kick the crap out of Mizzou in Columbia and now they're coming to LR on a roll.

All three losses this season have been to top 10 teams.

Most teams haven't played three top 10 teams this season. Arkansas will probably play at least two more.

But if it allows you to stew in you anger to ignore these facts go ahead.

Most teams haven't played 3 top ten teams in the last 5 years.  If you look at it from a national perspective.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2014, 03:46:12 pm

It's a cute, rags to riches story this year.  I know I'm enjoying it. 

Bob Costas did a segment last night on how great it is for the NFL that the Cowboys are in first place this year...something about them being one of the elite franchises and how many people follow them either positively or negatively.

It was fine with me because I'm a Cowboys fan, but if I were a Redskins or Steelers fan I would say "screw Dallas."

Do you think ESPN would rather promote Alabama vs. Notre Dame in a playoff or national championship game...or Kansas State vs. Mississippi State?

Kevin

Quote from: HF#1 on October 13, 2014, 04:08:02 pm
Yet you completely ignore the most glaring deficiency on this team...  Do you understand that we are starting 2nd and 3rd string WR's?  They have no ability to get open on their own.  Hunter Henry is the best route runner on the team.  Let that sink in for a moment.  Hell, Derby is probably 2nd.

Wilson, our most physically gifted WR, is the worst route runner.  The one guy that can get down field with quickness, is suspect at catching the ball.

Nobody on this team can get off the LOS with any speed what so ever.  The talent we do have is young and redshirting.  KJ Hill will help tremendously.  Bielema is recruiting his tail off.  But until then we have to work with what we got and we got 2nd rate talent on the outside.

can they not do something to help those guys? or just sit back and make excuses?

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on October 13, 2014, 04:08:02 pm
Yet you completely ignore the most glaring deficiency on this team...  Do you understand that we are starting 2nd and 3rd string WR's?  They have no ability to get open on their own.  Hunter Henry is the best route runner on the team.  Let that sink in for a moment.  Hell, Derby is probably 2nd.

Wilson, our most physically gifted WR, is the worst route runner.  The one guy that can get down field with quickness, is suspect at catching the ball.

Nobody on this team can get off the LOS with any speed what so ever.  The talent we do have is young and redshirting.  KJ Hill will help tremendously.  Bielema is recruiting his tail off.  But until then we have to work with what we got and we got 2nd rate talent on the outside.

Now I was told Hatcher would start for any team in the sec. It must be a true, a hogville poster said it.

If people will just think for a minute, the only hog to catch a pass and run away from the defense is Derby ( I don't count anything done against nicholls since I could have run away from their players).  That's right, the only one to do that is a linebacker, converted to qb, then converted to te.

HF#1

Quote from: Kevin on October 13, 2014, 04:09:59 pm
can they not do something to help those guys? or just sit back and make excuses?

If you don't have it, you don't have it.  You can practice route running and catching balls all day long but if your WR melts at the first sign of contact or isn't fast enough to beat his man, what are you going to do? 

I've yet to see our WR's break off a route and be open.  Wilson in some cases, has either ran the wrong route or quit on the route because there was a defender on him.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Phil D

Quote from: Peter Porker on October 13, 2014, 08:24:06 am
If I have said it once....the hardest part about being a Razorbacks fan are the other fans.

Aint that the truth!
GO HOGS!!!!!!

hogsanity

Quote from: HF#1 on October 13, 2014, 04:14:02 pm
If you don't have it, you don't have it.  You can practice route running and catching balls all day long but if your WR melts at the first sign of contact or isn't fast enough to beat his man, what are you going to do? 

I've yet to see our WR's break off a route and be open.  Wilson in some cases, has either ran the wrong route or quit on the route because there was a defender on him.

Hogs do not have one wr that any sec db is scared of being beaten by, or that a defense has to double. I think Kh is a very good possession type receiver, problem is, so is Wilson, and so is Hollister, and so is Sprinkle. It's pretty telling when your biggest deep threat is your TE. I realize Hh is a special te, but still, your te should not be your biggest deep threat.

HF#1

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2014, 04:17:52 pm
Hogs do not have one wr that any sec db is scared of being beaten by, or that a defense has to double. I think Kh is a very good possession type receiver, problem is, so is Wilson, and so is Hollister, and so is Sprinkle. It's pretty telling when your biggest deep threat is your TE. I realize Hh is a special te, but still, your te should not be your biggest deep threat.

Never...  Give us a WR like Cooper, Duke Williams, or that Seals-Jones fella and we are probably 5-1.

Phil D

Quote from: sowmonella on October 13, 2014, 08:55:35 am
People seem to forget that our 3 losses were to teams ranked #5, #6 & #7 when we played them. Anyone that will not see the direction we are heading has an agenda against CBB or the Razorbacks. :razorback:

Ding...Ding...Ding... We have a winner!  Just missing the agenda against Jeff Long, other than that you just about nailed it. :razorback:
GO HOGS!!!!!!

WarPig88

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 08:02:53 am
Over the years a dominant theme in this forum is the lack of respect Arkansas football gets from the national media.

That complaint has been turned on its head this season.

The national media now respects Razorback football more than many of you do.

I think it's because they don't mind us being where we are. It's when we have expectations of being better that they run us down.

During Nutt's circus here, pundits were literally saying that we can't expect better than Nutt. Petrino came in and blew that out of the water.

Now we are losing again and not challenging the big brothers of the conference anymore. We are in our place.

No need for them to put us back in it.

HF#1

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 13, 2014, 04:25:05 pm
I think it's because they don't mind us being where we are. It's when we have expectations of being better that they run us down.

During Nutt's circus here, pundits were literally saying that we can't expect better than Nutt. Petrino came in and blew that out of the water.

Now we are losing again and not challenging the big brothers of the conference anymore. We are in our place.

Not challenging the big brothers anymore?  We didn't challenge A&M, Alabama, or Auburn?  WTH man, come on.

hogsanity

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 13, 2014, 04:25:05 pm

hog fans should win some type of award for playing the victim. Refs are out to get the hogs. media is lying in wait to pounce if the hogs get too good. sec is not going to let them win. espn hates them. cbs, definitely out to get the hogs.

HognitiveDissonance

For the past 15 years or so, I've looked at the Hogs, compared to most of the country, and saw a pretty darn good team, most years top 25 at least, whether they finished there or not, I thought we were a top team.

Then I compared the same Hog team to the SEC slate and wondered where the wins were going to come from. I knew we would get some, probably lose some, and most would be bitterly fought.

In other words, nothing has changed in 15 years, and it will be the same 15 years from now. It's always about the schedule when you play in the SEC.

WarPig88

Quote from: HF#1 on October 13, 2014, 04:26:57 pm
Not challenging the big brothers anymore?  We didn't challenge A&M, Alabama, or Auburn?  WTH man, come on.

You are talking individual games. I am talking about being a player for the conf race.

You really think we have challenged for that recently?

HognitiveDissonance

The other thing that's constant in the past 15-20 years is that, at least the fans that post the most on message boards, are too busy trashing the previous coach and exalting the new one to really pay attention.

Old guy: bad, evil, didn't do this right, wasn't that great blah blah
New guy: has got it figured out, is going to lead to great things, just wait

Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't, but guaranteed, you are going to read these things.

HF#1

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 13, 2014, 04:31:26 pm
You are talking individual games. I am talking about being a player for the conf race.

You really think we have challenged for that recently?

You didn't specify.

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2014, 04:28:25 pm
hog fans should win some type of award for playing the victim. Refs are out to get the hogs. media is lying in wait to pounce if the hogs get too good. sec is not going to let them win. espn hates them. cbs, definitely out to get the hogs.

I don't think you got what I said at all. When Nutt was here we got positive attention for the most part until he turned this place into a circus.

The national media did make fun of our fanbase for having higher expectations for our program than Nutt delivered. That is a fact, not a matter of conspiracy.

We got good press under Petrino while we were winning and the medial loves Jeff Long as well.

But guys like Finebaum hated us under Petrino even while we were winning, saying things like our program has never brought anything to the table in terms of football in the SEC, etc.

It's not imagination. You may choose to ignore it, but it's out there.

Phil D

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 09:33:29 am
I've been around eight different coaching staffs in the 40 years I've covered this team. The reason I'm so optimistic is that this is the most impressive collection of coaches I've seen at this school since Broyles staff in 75.

1. They recruit against everybody. No more backing off a player because Alabama or LSU wants him.

2. The head coach actually cares about his players instead of just talking a good game. Consider the fact that Frank Ragnow was withheld from the Bama game because he'd suffered a mild concussion earlier in the week. The doctors cleared him but Bielema wanted to be extra cautious. Compare that to Petrino who often shamed players with legitimate injuries into playing anyway. The guy I do a radio show with every day once played with a torn hamstring. Petrino called him a [CENSORED] anyway.

3.There is a clearly spelled out code of discipline on this team. Alex Collins missed a Friday morning meeting in the bye week before Alabama. He sat out the 1st quarter. How many coaches would do that? And yet what is the message that is being sent? Live up to your responsibilities. If we all learn to do that we will win in football and in life.

4. After the game Bielema was in tears trying to explain how hard it is for him to watch these guys work so hard and not get the reward of a win. The players told us he was like that in front of them. They are ready to run through a brick wall for him.

5. Jim Harris asked Bielema a very tough question in the post game presser. Basically if there was a lack of discipline on the offensive side of the ball because of all the killer mistakes that are being made. I've known coaches who would have exploded at a question like that yet Bielema understood that it was a question he needed to answer. He accepted personal responsiblity for the screw ups and promised they'd be corrected.

Bielema's coaches are like him. They are the kind of men you'd want your own kids to play for.

I had a chance to retire this past summer at age 66 but being around Bielema and his staff has energized me. They are doing things the right way. It's the kind of football that I believe in. I want to see this process through.

Excellent post Mike, thanks. You are a great asset to this board and I know many of us appreciate you taking the time to post here. I am also energized and excited about the process we are seeing unfold on the hill. This road has been bumpy but I for one can see the light at the end of the tunnel. This is going to be a thing of beauty when all the pieces are in place.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

WarPig88

Quote from: HF#1 on October 13, 2014, 04:33:31 pm
You didn't specify.

Should I have to?

I don't care if we beat the Number One team in the nation if we only win 8 games that same season and don't challenge for the SEC title. Do you?

code red

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 08:02:53 am
Over the years a dominant theme in this forum is the lack of respect Arkansas football gets from the national media.

That complaint has been turned on its head this season.

The national media now respects Razorback football more than many of you do.

I disagree.....I think they just thought we would be worse...not necessarily respect.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou