Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The national media

Started by Mike Irwin, October 13, 2014, 08:02:53 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Irwin

Over the years a dominant theme in this forum is the lack of respect Arkansas football gets from the national media.

That complaint has been turned on its head this season.

The national media now respects Razorback football more than many of you do.

Hollywood_HOGan45

All Ive heard on ESPN is "How can alabama be pushed by a team like Arkansas?"

Herbstreit and a co-host on SportscenterU.

Arkansas is so much better but the majority won't turn their heads until Arkansas beats somebody in SEC play.

I think this could be the week.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 13, 2014, 08:06:47 am
All Ive heard on ESPN is "How can alabama be pushed by a team like Arkansas?"

Herbstreit and a co-host on SportscenterU.

Arkansas is so much better but the majority won't turn their heads until Arkansas beats somebody in SEC play.

I think this could be the week.
You can find a few exceptions but everywhere I look these days I see a national reporter or commentator complimenting the program on how far its come in a short period of time. The difference in how the program is viewed in one year has been stunning. It's got to help recruiting.

Wants2Win

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 08:02:53 am
Over the years a dominant theme in this forum is the lack of respect Arkansas football gets from the national media.

That complaint has been turned on its head this season.

I'd rather be winning games than have the respect of the national media but that's just me.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Wants2Win on October 13, 2014, 08:11:41 am
I'd rather be winning games than have the respect of the national media but that's just me.

How about both? I'd prefer both.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

MuskogeeHogFan

We all want to win games and no one more so than the staff and the team, but the positive press we are getting from the national media is a plus that we have not had in a few years and as Mike said above, that can't do anything but help our recruiting.
Go Hogs Go!

popcornhog

It amazes me the lack of thoughtful framework in that statement.

We have gone from unspeakably bad to competitive against the best teams in America in one year under Bielema. If we continue to improve at the rate which we have improved this far, we will be competing for national titles consistently under Bielema -- especially with the job he's doing on the recruiting trail.

I sincerely hope that you don't wait around for that to happen. I'm not necessarily saying that you should jump off if a bridge, but maybe you should go cheer for FSU or Ohio State.

WPS

Mike Irwin

Winning games doesn't just happen. The program was in shambles when Bielema was hired. The Petrino scandal and a season of Bozo the clown did serious damage.

Compounding the problem was the emergence of the SWC West as a stronger division of football than any other full conference out there.

Considering the circumstances the improvement in Arkansas football has been unreal.
Who would have believed last year that Arkansas would hold Alabama to fewer yards than Nicholls St.?

To win against the top 10 teams that Arkansas is losing to doesn't just happen because fans want it to.

It's a process and the process is going well.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 08:02:53 am

That has been true since I started reading this board in 2006.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 08:19:32 am
Winning games doesn't just happen. The program was in shambles when Bielema was hired. The Petrino scandal and a season of Bozo the clown did serious damage.

Compounding the problem was the emergence of the SWC West as a stronger division of football than any other full conference out there.

Considering the circumstances the improvement in Arkansas football has been unreal.
Who would have believed last year that Arkansas would hold Alabama to fewer yards than Nicholls St.?

To win against the top 10 teams that Arkansas is losing to doesn't just happen because fans want it to.

Mike, fans are entitled to instant gratification.
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Peter Porker

If I have said it once....the hardest part about being a Razorbacks fan are the other fans.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Albert Einswine

This season still has a lot of potential remaining.  If we can get off the shneid against Georgia, who knows what happens. These guys just need to taste the fruits of their labor. I see a defense that has improved every game, they're gaining confidence and if they continue to improve week to week and play with the same intensity they displayed Saturday we have a shot in every remaining game on the schedule.

I'd love to spoil every week. GO HOGS!!
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Kevin

Amen!!!!
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Mike Irwin

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 13, 2014, 08:22:41 am
That has been true since I started reading this board in 2006.
I have never felt that the national media disrespected Hog football as much as they basically ignored it. But again, the complaints on this board over the years have been obvious. They don't like us, has been a common post. I used to read it all the time.

Well apparently these days, they like us.

Piggfoot

Yes it is a process. We essentially had to start completely over with young talented players. We had a couple of great players but not enough to win against the talented, experienced teams in the SEC west this year and last. We will get our shot next year when the experienced teams have to reload/rebuild and our last years freshmen will be juniors.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogfanfromlr

0-9 in SEC... until that changes it will continue.  Fans don't pay hard earned money to million dollar coaches (and AD) for respect of the national media.  They want Wins.  That's not too hard to understand.  We all don't get free passes to games like the media does. 

Kevin

The process is at the stage, winning the games you are in position to win.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7

hogfanfromlr

Unless of course I'm out of line and you pay for your tickets.

gmarv

we are where we are its up to you to see the positives or be negative.
our players just need to keep believing.the winning will take care of its self
soon enough.and what a great time we will have then.

Mike Irwin

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 13, 2014, 08:36:49 am
No doubt Mike... We can hang our hats on the fact that we are the best team ever to lose 15 straight conference games.... If that is some thing you want.
15 straight conference games to teams that are really good. There has never been a 15 game stretch like that in the history of Hog football. Even Florida, which sucks right now, was a good football team the night they played the Hogs last year. The injury bug hit their defense right after that and they went to seed where they remain to this day.

Look at the Aggies. They could not beat Arkansas this week. They are done. But the week the Hogs played them they were top 10 and full of confidence.

Look at Georgia. A week ago at this time there were predictions that they were in trouble with the loss of Todd Gurley.  So they go out and kick the crap out of Mizzou in Columbia and now they're coming to LR on a roll.

All three losses this season have been to top 10 teams.

Most teams haven't played three top 10 teams this season. Arkansas will probably play at least two more.

But if it allows you to stew in you anger to ignore these facts go ahead.

urkillnmesmalls

No doubt Mike... We can hang our hats on the fact that we are the best team ever to lose 15 straight conference games.... If that is some thing you want.

No, hats are being hung on the FACT that we have played some of the top PROGRAMS in the country close this season, and very well could have won 2 out of those 3 games.  Last year, minus MSU and LSU...we weren't even close. 

The national guys are noticing that we're as physical as anyone out there, and we just proved it by standing toe to toe with Bama.  Anyone who knows anything about football knows that if you can control the LOS, then you have a great chance to win most football games. 

If you can't see the obvious improvement over last season, then you're choosing not to.  Remember this before the season started..."Arkansas could be vastly improved, but with having the hardest schedule in the nation in the tough SEC West, their W-L record may not show it." 

That's EXACTLY what we're seeing come to fruition to this point.  The upside is...there's a good chance we're about to win a few games.  UGA, Mizzou, and LSU are games I feel we can absolutely win.

I'll pose a few questions.  If we improved that dramatically in one season, what exactly is it that makes you think this is our cap?  Why are you so convinced that BB isn't a great coach, and that he can't do great things here at Arkansas?  What are you seeing compared to last year that makes you think this is as good as we'll ever get?     
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Chief Mac

Our fan base as a whole is great, some on here....not so much. Hogville used to be a great place for us out of state Hogs to get info and enjoy fellowship with other Hog fans. Now it's just a place to come if I want to be pissed off
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

MiHogsMi

I've been a harsh critic of CBB on this forum.  However, the proof of how this team has progressed is obvious and there for anybody to objectively see with their own eyes.  I agree that it is a process.  It is encouraging to see the good press the Razorback program is getting as this can't help but improve recruiting opportunities and attract good assistant coaches (if/when needed).  I'm optimistic.
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

ballz2thewall

most of it is sound bites regardless the perspective.  some say "all i hear is yada yada bad".

i've heard plenty of pleasant things from national and regional media.  and since the internet has dramatically increased the size of the coffee shop, i've heard plenty of positives about the hogs.

one thing i grow tired of is the truthers; those convinced there is a conspiracy at espn or elsewhere.

my take is national media is right in line with the status of the play/program right now.  average it out and it's spot on.
The rest of the frog.

MJ2

I'm with ya.

Redhogs

Mike...At what point do the players "let go of the rope" because they can't get the big win with the effort they give and the buying into the program they've done. Watching the player interviews after the game they seemed like they had the "what do we have to do" mentality..different from the past loss interviews....are you sensing this?..do you see this as a problem at this point going forward if they don't win one of these games soon? Just seemed to hear allot more mental fatigue from them than in the past...very understandable at this point.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

bigred223

No one is happy about that. However, if you refuse to acknowledge the fact that we have been in a uniquely tough situation, then that is on you. That streak will end at some point this season. Hopefully this week. Had we played Kentucky's schedule this year, we would probably be an undefeated team. We just happen to have played one of the toughest schedules in the nation for each of the past two seasons.

three hog night

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 08:10:32 am
You can find a few exceptions but everywhere I look these days I see a national reporter or commentator complimenting the program on how far its come in a short period of time. The difference in how the program is viewed in one year has been stunning. It's got to help recruiting.

It has been so good to see the media recognizing the progress in articles that the coaches can send to recruits showing how we are trending
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

thirtythree

Just now on Mike and Mike, Greenberg said he expected Alabama to lay the wood to Arkansas. He did say that Arkansas outplayed Alabama. However, he followed that up by saying is this a sign of Alabama not being that good. To me, that is not respect to Arkansas. How much more bigger do you get than ESPN?

The fact of the matter is, until you start winning, respect means nothing. It is the win/loss column.

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 08:48:09 am
15 straight conference games to teams that are really good. There has never been a 15 game stretch like that in the history of Hog football. Even Florida, which sucks right now, was a good football team the night they played the Hogs last year. The injury bug hit their defense right after that and they went to seed where they remain to this day.

Look at the Aggies. They could not beat Arkansas this week. They are done. But the week the Hogs played them they were top 10 and full of confidence.

Look at Georgia. A week ago at this time there were predictions that they were in trouble with the loss of Todd Gurley.  So they go out and kick the crap out of Mizzou in Columbia and now they're coming to LR on a roll.

Most teams haven't played three top 10 teams this season. Arkansas will probably play at least two more.

And Georgia is number 10 so that will be 4 top 10 teams! And MSU shouldnt lose to Kentucky after a bye week which means we will be going to #1 Mississppi State.  Nobody has that tough of a schedule!

sowmonella

People seem to forget that our 3 losses were to teams ranked #5, #6 & #7 when we played them. Anyone that will not see the direction we are heading has an agenda against CBB or the Razorbacks. :razorback:
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

three hog night

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 13, 2014, 08:48:32 am
No, hats are being hung on the FACT that we have played some of the top PROGRAMS in the country close this season, and very well could have won 2 out of those 3 games.  Last year, minus MSU and LSU...we weren't even close. 

The national guys are noticing that we're as physical as anyone out there, and we just proved it by standing toe to toe with Bama.  Anyone who knows anything about football knows that if you can control the LOS, then you have a great chance to win most football games. 

If you can't see the obvious improvement over last season, then you're choosing not to.  Remember this before the season started..."Arkansas could be vastly improved, but with having the hardest schedule in the nation in the tough SEC West, their W-L record may not show it." 

That's EXACTLY what we're seeing come to fruition to this point.  The upside is...there's a good chance we're about to win a few games.  UGA, Mizzou, and LSU are games I feel we can absolutely win.

I'll pose a few questions.  If we improved that dramatically in one season, what exactly is it that makes you think this is our cap?  Why are you so convinced that BB isn't a great coach, and that he can't do great things here at Arkansas?  What are you seeing compared to last year that makes you think this is as good as we'll ever get?   

Bingo
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

DeltaBoy

This team reminding me of Landry's early Cowboy Teams : Close but no cigar so far.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

mccurdy

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on October 13, 2014, 08:48:32 am

The truth is we will never be this bad again! People need to think about that a bit.

Redhogs

Quote from: demonHOG1013 on October 13, 2014, 08:55:32 am
And Georgia is number 10 so that will be 4 top 10 teams! And MSU shouldnt lose to Kentucky after a bye week which means we will be going to #1 Mississppi State.  Nobody has that tough of a schedule!
Really? Just about everybody in the SEC west does. Everybody plays 8 conf. games..unless you are luck enough to draw Vandy from the east...it's tough for everybody.

urkillnmesmalls

I'm sure some people saw that post game press conference and were taken aback by BB's show of emotion.  I LOVED every second of it.  I have to believe that recruits who see that are going to know how much he wants to win for our players...not for himself.  He was upset because he knows how much it meant to them to win on the 50th Anniv. of the NC, and to beat the team that embarrassed us two seasons in a row. 

If before the season someone would have told me that we'd hold Bama to 14 pts, and out gain them by over a 100 yards, and most surprisingly hold them to under 70 yards rushing...I would have thought someone needed to back away from the bottle.  That was unreal. 

What is still hurting us is a lack of play makers at the WR position, and I still think Brandon plays too anxious.  That may be his personality, and I don't know if that will change or not, but he's going to have to show more poise and let the game come to him if he's going to pilot us to some big wins during the remainder of his eligibility.  I think he can do it...but he needs some defining plays and to have confidence that they will protect him. 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

jkstock04

Agreed... We had all that we wanted during the HDN years. I don't want us to be the lovable losers like we were back then. They were overall negative towards us in the Petrino years because he was a jerk and had us winning at a level we weren't "supposed" to be.

I know which scenario I prefer better.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hoghevn

I honestly believe some of you would complain that it was too hot and you were to sweat if God parted the ocean for you to walk across to escape a life threatening enemy.....

Coach was handed a nightmare.  You want to complain?  Write your hero Petrino a letter and ask for a refund and an apology.  The rest of us are moving forward, looking at the extraordinary accomplishments so far and realizing a foundation has been and is being laid that is nothing short of amazing.  You're too blind to see and admit this and want to do nothing but complain.  There are those who execute and perform and those who can't, who sit back, gripe and complain but never do or accomplish anything.  Be honest and look at the situation as a whole.  If you can't or choose not to recognize what has had to change and be rebuilt, your opinion like you, is clueless.
Einstein - "The difference between genius and stupdity; genius has limits."

Mike Irwin

Quote from: hogfanfromlr on October 13, 2014, 08:41:49 am
0-9 in SEC... until that changes it will continue.  Fans don't pay hard earned money to million dollar coaches (and AD) for respect of the national media.  They want Wins.  That's not too hard to understand.  We all don't get free passes to games like the media does.
Yes, and unfortunately that's what some fans bring to the table. Just say, We want wins and if it doesn't happen, ignore the process.

It was obvious my youngest granddaughter was going to walk a long time before she actually did. We didn't sit around going, CALL ME WHEN SHE WALKS. UNTIL THEN DON'T GIVE ME EXCUSES.

Some can see what's coming. They are going to celebrate when it happens because they've supported this rebuilding process all along. They have invested themselves in the process.

To others its a matter of, I bought a ticket. I expect wins.

Whatever floats your boat.

demonHOG1013

Quote from: Redhogs on October 13, 2014, 09:00:14 am
Really? Just about everybody in the SEC west does. Everybody plays 8 conf. games..unless you are luck enough to draw Vandy from the east...it's tough for everybody.

True but our East draws are Georgia #10, and Mizzou last years East Champ.  Thats arguably the toughest draw.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Playing a top ten team every single game when you are trying to rebuild probably doesnt help much in the win column as well. We FINALLY get a break against LSU on Nov 15th.

popcornhog

Quote from: thirtythree on October 13, 2014, 08:54:41 am
Just now on Mike and Mike, Greenberg said he expected Alabama to lay the wood to Arkansas. He did say that Arkansas outplayed Alabama. However, he followed that up by saying is this a sign of Alabama not being that good. To me, that is not respect to Arkansas. How much more bigger do you get than ESPN?

The fact of the matter is, until you start winning, respect means nothing. It is the win/loss column.

The respect is meaningless, winning is all that matters -- in the long run.

For now gaining respect is evidence that we are putting together a winning product.

In the aggregate, the media seems to recognize that. Including many comments on espn's college Gameday, SEC Network, and other outlets. It's not universal because, as you've stated, we've won nothing yet. But it sure does look like we're gonna be there much faster than expected.
WPS

MountieDawg

I agree Mike... Great teams, but that is the conference we play in...  If we had a 15 game winning streak in other conference we wouldn't be saying we are just lucky that we dont play in the SEC...  We collect giant SEC check and that is where we must win.  I can't believe my post that you qouted was deleted.... It was the truth....  No better team has lost 15 straight conf games....
SEC!

bphi11ips

Quote from: Mike Irwin on October 13, 2014, 08:35:00 am
I have never felt that the national media disrespected Hog football as much as they basically ignored it.

I think of respect in two ways when it comes to the way it is expressed on Hogville - respect for the program, itself, and respect for any given team at the moment. 

Where respect for the program is concerned, my experience has been that most Hogville posters lack the respect for Razorbacks football it has earned.  My observation has been this lack of respect comes from two basic sources - those who did not experience Arkansas's success from 1960 to 1990, and those who deny the significance of that success.  The national media, being much better educated in college football tradition and program potential than the average poster here, understands that Arkansas has underachieved for the most part for almost 25 years, and they understand we have not had any great coaches during that period of time.  They are now seeing that Bret Bielema may be the equal of a Frank Broyles or a Lou Holtz, and they are cautiously taking notice.  They can't help but take notice after Saturday night.

With respect to any given season, I believe Hogville posters over-estimate the team's potential then overreact to a loss.  The national media is much more realistic in its evaluation and reaction.  Thus, we get no respect from them, says Hogville, until we lose.  After we lose, especially recently, we hear a lot of 0-15. which is understandable, but not as many focus on a one point loss to a team with twenty-two five star (Rivals) recruits on its roster.  Alabama can go three deep on both sides of the ball before it puts a three star player on the field.

This statistic had to catch the national media's eye:  Alabama had 10 first downs.  TEN.  I wonder when the last time that happened. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Kevin

Is it too much for fans to expect points in the fourth quarter of any sec game?

Score any points in the fourth the last two games, hogs win

I guess that is being a bad fan

popcornhog

Quote from: Kevin on October 13, 2014, 09:07:52 am
Is it too much for fans to expect points in the fourth quarter of any sec game?

Score any points in the fourth the last two games, hogs win

I guess that is being a bad fan

I for one expect that and more -- I expect to get to Atlanta. That's why I like Bielema so much. He appears to be building a program that can compete for championships.
WPS

Redhogs

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan45 on October 13, 2014, 09:05:59 am
Playing a top ten team every single game when you are trying to rebuild probably doesnt help much in the win column as well. We FINALLY get a break against LSU on Nov 15th.
Don't be fooled..LSU will be allot better team by the time we play them...they have talent, just young. No breaks in this conference.

jkstock04

Quote from: hoghevn on October 13, 2014, 09:02:44 am
There are those who execute and perform and those who can't, who sit back, gripe and complain but never do or accomplish anything. 
This comment caught my eye. Fans that execute and perform?

Short of going to the games and cheering on the team or paying recruits to come here what are you talking about?

BTW with this comment I'm gonna assume you were at the game Saturday night? I can assure you I walked out of there with no voice left from cheering.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MountieDawg on October 13, 2014, 09:06:39 am
I agree Mike... Great teams, but that is the conference we play in...  If we had a 15 game winning streak in other conference we wouldn't be saying we are just lucky that we dont play in the SEC...  We collect giant SEC check and that is where we must win.  I can't believe my post that you qouted was deleted.... It was the truth....  No better team has lost 15 straight conf games....

Again, it's YEAR TWO.  TWO.  TWO.  Say it slowly, and recognize that we just played Bama MUCH closer than BP EVER did, and we were a play away from winning....and multiple times!   

It's fine if some fans want to ignore that this season DOES NOT APPLY to anything we did last year, and that we've lost to three teams ranked in the top 8 when we played them, but it's a reality that a schedule that brutal has NEVER happened to us since joining the SEC. 

Want to be a pessimist...there's ample opportunity.  By the time it's all over, after playing UGA, Ole Miss, and MSU...there's a good chance we will have played SIX TEAMS RANKED IN THE TOP 10. 

If we're just playing WITH them...that's a GIGANTIC leap for the program.  Now...we need some elite JC WR's to see that we sure could use their help, and to come exact some revenge next season!!   :razorback: 

Razorbax

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on October 13, 2014, 08:41:32 am
Agreed Mike, there are so many whiny [CENSORED] around here it's sickening. I fully believe there are people on this board that hate CBB so much that they'd rather the razorbacks lose so they can say, "I told you he wasn't the right hire."
Probably offset by people on this board that hate CBP/love CBB so much that the only reason they want a win is so they can say, "I told you he was the right hire and we didn't need Bobby." I do find some of the comments ironic about how sickening this board is or how it "just pisses you off" being on this board, yet you keep reading and posting here. I, not being a masochist, tend to stay away from things that sicken or pisses me off. I guess those terms/words are more of look at me /hyperbolic cry for attention.

As for this new found respect..........I am still waiting for the new found respect we were told to expect after we fired CBP. The only true measure of respect in the SEC is when they hate you and hope you lose all your games. If they pat you on the head and you hear something to the effect of "gosh you are getting better", it probably means they just beat you.