Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Help: quickest route Little Rock to Florida

Started by Michaelt, October 13, 2014, 07:58:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Michaelt

Morning,

Just wanted to get some suggestions. I'll be driving from Little Rock area to Orlando in a few days; The last few trips we've taken we stopped in Atlanta for the weekend and then driven down to Orlando. This is a straight through trip, so for some of you who might have taken the drive straight through, what is your quickest route?

1. Little Rock to Memphis, through upper MS and then down through Alabama?
2. Little Rock to Jackson MS to Mobile and then east?

Those seem to be the two quickest routes, so I thought I'd ask about them, or if anyone has another quicker route I'd be obliged to read about it.

Would rather not drive too many two lane or small town roads; will be driving mostly at night and would prefer to maintain a good speed on the highways.

thanks in advance.
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Jackrabbit Hog

Michael, since we've been living in Memphis, we've been taking the Memphis-to-Tupelo-to-Birmingham route, then turning south.  We've done pretty well with that route.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

Faedian7

Quote from: Jackrabbit Hog on October 13, 2014, 02:29:36 pm
Michael, since we've been living in Memphis, we've been taking the Memphis-to-Tupelo-to-Birmingham route, then turning south.  We've done pretty well with that route.

This is the route that we took back in mid-July. My only suggestion would be to be careful around the Birmingham area. There were 2 detours that gave us some fun... Just watch out for signs and ignore google/apple maps at that point.

Michaelt

Thanks; my biggest concern is the lane closures between Little Rock and Memphis. Not that I'll be in any hurry, but going from 75 to 45 three or four times just makes a trip like that drag a little.

When you turn south in Birmingham, do you pick up I-10 around Marianna?
Hearing God's voice means not listening to the noise of the world around us.

Jackrabbit Hog

Quote from: Michaelt on October 13, 2014, 03:22:03 pm
Thanks; my biggest concern is the lane closures between Little Rock and Memphis. Not that I'll be in any hurry, but going from 75 to 45 three or four times just makes a trip like that drag a little.

We drove home last night from Fayetteville, and there were no real back-ups between LR and Memphis (thankfully).  The primary area of concern right now is between White River and Brinkley, but it's not as bad as the White River bridge area was 2-3 years ago or as bad as Forrest City has been the past couple of years.  Mostly you just slow to about 50 and cruise through a 6 mile stretch.  Right now it's 2-lane headed east in that construction area.

Faedian's caution was correct and I should have included it.  The only slow area we encountered this summer was just before Birmingham.  There was a detour but if you follow it and get back on the interstate just before you get to Birmingham, you'll be fine.
Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on June 29, 2018, 03:47:07 pm
I'm sure it's nothing that a $500 retainer can't fix.  Contact JackRabbit Hog for payment instructions.

cobra kai

Quote from: Michaelt on October 13, 2014, 03:22:03 pm

Yep, here is the route you want to take:  http://goo.gl/maps/mvjDT

LSUFan

I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

vandybuff

hahaha .... like the "United.com" comment - but you did give me an idea ... I think LIT now has Alligiant Airlines ... it has a very limited schedule but does fly NS LIT - Daytona and Orlando .... for about $120 rt.

just a thought.
What a wonderful time to rediscover the hobby for a lifetime - a great book!!!

A happy life is doing something "that matters".  So start today!!!!!

DeltaBoy

Last time I went to FLA I took out south to Pine Bluff down 79 to Delhigh LA picked up 20 till Hattisburg Miss south to I-10 and on to FLA.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.