Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Computer Rankings of Arkansas Teams

Started by Seminole Indian, October 13, 2014, 07:05:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

October 13, 2014, 07:05:34 am Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 09:43:06 am by Seminole Indian
Normally there is enough 'data' by this point to get a good idea of how the 'computers' think the Arkansas teams are doing.

Sagarin has:
#25-Arkansas
#59-A-State
#132-UCA
#247-UAPB

Massey Composite has the Arkansas FBS Only as :
#37-Arkansas
#57-A-State

and FCS Only:
UCA #28
UAPB #128

The USATODAY Composite computer rankings(which is basically the old BCS rankings) comes out at around 2:00 pm today, and it has been close to the Massey composite. Last week they had Arkansas #32, and Wolves #62 but both should go up this week.

The computers have the Razorbacks and Wolves showing considerable improvements since the start of the season, and that trend might very well continue in the 2nd half. UCA is also beginning to trend up.
"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

October 13, 2014, 08:00:26 am #1 Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 04:41:54 pm by Seminole Indian
As far as the race to be the best G5 (A-States goal for it's program, and every G5 wanting in the new playoff)  the Massey composite has 5 8 non-P5's ahead of A-State: #9 ND(not a G5) ,#20 Marshall, #33 ECU, #43 Colorado State,#44 BYU(not a G5),#46 Boise State,#47 Utah State and #52 UCF.

A-State has a very good chance of finishing in the top 5 as far as non-P5's(G5's)this year, and  it is not totally out of the question that they could end up the best G5 this year.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

The USATODAY Composite rankings for the Arkansas FBS:

#41 Arkansas
#58 A-State

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 13, 2014, 08:00:26 am
As far as the race to be the best G5 (A-States goal for it's program, and every G5 wanting in the new playoff)  the Massey composite has 5 8 non-P5's ahead of A-State: #9 ND(not a G5) ,#20 Marshall, #33 ECU, #43 Colorado State,#44 BYU(not a G5),#46 Boise State,#47 Utah State and #52 UCF.

A-State has a very good chance of finishing in the top 5 as far as non-P5's(G5's)this year, and  it is not totally out of the question that they could end up the best G5 this year.

Arkansas is ranked accurately. Really if they beat uga they should be ranked no doubt about it.

how is utah state ranked higher than asu btw?

Dropkick

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 13, 2014, 06:17:06 pm
Arkansas is ranked accurately. Really if they beat uga they should be ranked no doubt about it.

Got to be the win over BYU

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 13, 2014, 06:17:06 pm

or even BYU in my opinion.Computers are computers, they just crunch data, and it is what it is.

Do think A-State could finish ranked as high as the last three teams, and have a shot at being one of the top 5 G5's.

That's pretty good for a rebuilding year with a new coaching staff, and bodes well for their goal of being the top G5, and getting into the access bowl. They could be very good next year.

As far as Arkansas I would have thought they were close to if not in the top 25, but the computers take into consideration the strength of schedule, so they are what they are.

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Dropkick on October 13, 2014, 06:29:39 pm
Got to be the win over BYU
but they got beat by asu and wasn as competitive vs tenn   ???

Sweet Feet

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 13, 2014, 06:31:54 pm
or even BYU in my opinion.Computers are computers, they just crunch data, and it is what it is.

Do think A-State could finish ranked as high as the last three teams, and have a shot at being one of the top 5 G5's.

That's pretty good for a rebuilding year with a new coaching staff, and bodes well for their goal of being the top G5, and getting into the access bowl. They could be very good next year.

As far as Arkansas I would have thought they were close to if not in the top 25, but the computers take into consideration the strength of schedule, so they are what they are.
It depend on that cusa round. Ecu and marshall are talented. Btw, i dont think independents are classified as G5 so they are out the equation. Computers are bs sometimes

And yes arkansas should be like 28ish. All losses are from top 10 teams

Dropkick

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 13, 2014, 07:11:02 pm
but they got beat by asu and wasn as competitive vs tenn   ???
I agree, but the perception is USU beat a "somebody".

I would add, ASU beat them in OT at Jbro with Utah State using their 2nd string QB I think.
Also, USU has wins over what is perceived as higher quality opponents.

But as I said, I agree with you, I would rate ASU higher.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Dropkick on October 13, 2014, 07:25:16 pm

I would add, ASU beat them in OT at Jbro with Utah State using their 2nd string QB I think.

They beat BYU soundly with their 2nd team QB.

That was A-States QB's worse game. He had 2 unforced fumbles, an interception.They did not have  their star rb, their field goal kicker missed 3 field goals but if have no issues with Utah State being ranked above them by the computers.

Both teams defenses were and are outstanding.

Both have a chance to be considered among the very best G5's by the end of the season.

Dropkick

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 13, 2014, 08:02:18 pm
They beat BYU soundly with their 2nd team QB.

That was A-States QB's worse game. He had 2 unforced fumbles, an interception.They did not have  their star rb, their field goal kicker missed 3 field goals but if have no issues with Utah State being ranked above them by the computers.

Both teams defenses were and are outstanding.

Both have a chance to be considered among the very best G5's by the end of the season.

Is that a typo? Defenses are outstanding?

wildwolf

Quote from: Dropkick on October 13, 2014, 07:25:16 pm

And, ASU played the Utah State game without Flash Gordon. In the two games since, Gordon has rushed for 168 yards on 15 carries against ULM and 188 yards on 18 carries against Georgia State.

Seminole Indian

Not a computer ranking but saw where Henderson State is # 6, and Harding # 13 in AFCA Coaches poll in Division 2.

Kudos to both.

Two Socks

Quote from: Dropkick on October 13, 2014, 08:20:48 pm
Is that a typo? Defenses are outstanding?

Utah State had a very good defensive unit.  The bad game they suffered against Tennessee were points given up by a bumbling offense and special teams unit.  Other than a couple of drives, ASU did nothing against their defense.

Dropkick

Quote from: Two Socks on October 15, 2014, 10:32:25 pm
Utah State had a very good defensive unit.  The bad game they suffered against Tennessee were points given up by a bumbling offense and special teams unit.  Other than a couple of drives, ASU did nothing against their defense.
Okay

Seminole Indian

Looking at the latest's NCAA stats Utah State is # 41 in total defense, A-State # 46.

(Click on Total Defense on 2nd row, and 3rd column to see results.)
http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11

Dropkick

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 16, 2014, 06:54:16 am
Looking at the latest's NCAA stats Utah State is # 41 in total defense, A-State # 46.

(Click on Total Defense on 2nd row, and 3rd column to see results.)
http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=MFB&division=11
If that is outstanding what superlative would you use for a top 20 D like Uconn?

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Dropkick on October 16, 2014, 02:00:35 pm
If that is outstanding what superlative would you use for a top 20 D like Uconn?
We are talking about 32 yards per game difference, I would say about the same.

Two Socks

Quote from: Dropkick on October 16, 2014, 02:00:35 pm

Looking at UConn's offense and you can see why.  Obviously the other team has a short field to work with most of the time.

Seminole Indian

Think both A-State and the UofA should be pleased with the progress of their defenses at this point, and the progress of their teams at the midpoint of the season.

I'm sure A-State fans feel they let the Tennessee game slip away, and Arkansas fans even more so  the A&M and Alabama games, but  IMO both are a little further along than I  expected going into the season.

The good thing is both teams could end-up in a bowl game at the end of the year, and both should be a lot better next year.

Sweet Feet

Which polls will the playoff/bowl committee use for the chosing of the best of the G5 schools?

Two Socks

Quote from: Sweet Feet on October 17, 2014, 02:07:32 pm
Which polls will the playoff/bowl committee use for the chosing of the best of the G5 schools?

Marshall pretty much has that wrapped up since there is no one on their schedule that should beat them.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Two Socks on October 17, 2014, 04:36:45 pm
  Marshall pretty much has that wrapped up since there is no one on their schedule that should beat them.
Will be hard to beat out for that access bowl this go around, but ASU will be in the mix next year.

No G5 is even close to being a playoff contender.

GoBigRed

Quote from: Two Socks on October 17, 2014, 04:36:45 pm

That's because Marshall has the weakest schedule in the world. They schedule three MAC and and FCS team for their non conference. Then they play weak CUSA schedule where UAB is their toughest opponent. I would give the access bowl to a one loss ECU over Marshall.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 13, 2014, 07:05:34 am
Normally there is enough 'data' by this point to get a good idea of how the 'computers' think the Arkansas teams are doing.

Sagarin has:
#25-Arkansas
#59-A-State
#132-UCA
#247-UAPB

After this weekends games  Sagarin Has:
#32- Arkansas
#57-A-State
#138- UCA
#247-UAPB

Two Socks

Quote from: GoBigRed on October 19, 2014, 10:31:18 am
That's because Marshall has the weakest schedule in the world. They schedule three MAC and and FCS team for their non conference. Then they play weak CUSA schedule where UAB is their toughest opponent. I would give the access bowl to a one loss ECU over Marshall.

I agree.  Their schedule is a joke and their conference is super weak.  It's hard to make a judgment as to how good they actually are.

Seminole Indian

October 19, 2014, 07:05:35 pm #26 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:19:06 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Two Socks on October 19, 2014, 12:45:33 pm
  I agree.  Their schedule is a joke and their conference is super weak. It's hard to make a judgment as to how good they actually are.
WHO gives a crap. That just the BS you get from fans of schools not cutting it in the P5 conferences on their message boards, and no one hears them. They are talking to themselves.

The college football world belongs to winners, not losers, and if you win these  polls and ranking will go out of their way to make sure you look good.

FYI in Sagarin Marshall is #31 and ECU #35 (Arkansas is #32) but if either wins enough they will be in the top 25 at the end of the year. Could either beat the Razorbacks.....probably not but who cares, because winning is all that counts, and that is a fact.

My advise to those that don't like the way the system works is that is to bad because it is not going to change, so you better find a place you can win.

Ben

I dont think the question was answered: what rankings will be used to determine the best g5 school in cases none are in the top 25?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Seminole Indian

October 20, 2014, 02:54:42 pm #28 Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 03:22:24 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Ben on October 20, 2014, 11:18:58 am
I dont think the question was answered: what rankings will be used to determine the best g5 school in cases none are in the top 25?
Not 100% sure but think the committee uses their own rankings, regardless.

If they win tomorrow A-State will have a very good chance at being be one of the five being considered this year, so we will know for sure how it works.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/story?id=null

Selection Committee Responsibilities:

Select the top four teams for the playoff, rank them and assign them to semifinal sites.

Rank the next group of teams to play in other New Year's bowls if berth are available.

Select the highest-ranked champion from the five conferences without New Year's bowl contracts.

Assign teams to New Year's bowls

Create competitive matchups

Attempt to avoid rematches of regular-season games and repeat appearances

Consider geography

Ben

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 20, 2014, 02:54:42 pm
Not 100% sure but think the committee uses their own rankings, regardless.

If they win tomorrow A-State will have a very good chance at being be one of the five being considered this year, so we will know for sure how it works.

http://www.collegefootballplayoff.com/story?id=null

Selection Committee Responsibilities:

Select the top four teams for the playoff, rank them and assign them to semifinal sites.

Rank the next group of teams to play in other New Year's bowls if berth are available.

Select the highest-ranked champion from the five conferences without New Year's bowl contracts.

Assign teams to New Year's bowls

Create competitive matchups

Attempt to avoid rematches of regular-season games and repeat appearances

Consider geography
crap i forgot that its not just ranking That determines the group of five champion but who all Wins conference championships. So maybe there is a chance for asu if marshall slips in the conf title. The fact the CUSA, MAC, and MWC conf had conf championships makes it alil brighter. The aac could possibly cannablize itself. Asu just has to win out, granted gaso doesnt do the same...
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Ben on October 20, 2014, 03:54:25 pm
crap i forgot that its not just ranking That determines the group of five champion but who all Wins conference championships. So maybe there is a chance for asu if marshall slips in the conf title. The fact the CUSA, MAC, and MWC conf had conf championships makes it alil brighter. The aac could possibly cannablize itself. Asu just has to win out, granted gaso doesnt do the same...
That is why their game with Utah State, one of the big-boys of G5 was so important, as is tomorrows game with UL, because the winner will probably be the conference champion.

It also hurts that they lost to Tennessee a game they had the talent to win, but were still adjusting to the new staff, and the staff to them.

There are very good reasons asu's ad is saying it is not a question of 'if' but 'when' they get in the access bowl. I think they will be one of the favorites next year if they keep their staff together.

A G5 being one of the top 4 and making the playoff  is almost impossible, but ASU is on the verge of being one of the top five G5's, and being in the mix for the access bowel every year. That is big, for schools like ASU and the recruits are taking notice, and ASU is one of the top G5's in that area also!

Winning, and only winning is what counts at the G5 level, and I expect ASU will be doing a lot of it.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 13, 2014, 07:05:34 am

Massey Composite has the Arkansas FBS Only as :
#37-Arkansas
#57-A-State

and FCS Only:
UCA #28
UAPB #128

This weeks Massey Composite:
FBS:
#38- Arkansas
#59-A-State

FCS:
#37- UCA
#120-UAPB

Seminole Indian

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 13, 2014, 02:41:24 pm
The USATODAY Composite rankings for the Arkansas FBS:

#41 Arkansas
#58 A-State
This week USATODAY Composite rankings:

#45-Arkansas
#56-A-State

Two Socks

ASU is moving up by not playing.   Winning games in the Sunbelt just don't move you much.   Everybody in the conference has put in a subpar season except Georgia Southern , and they are not on the schedule.

Seminole Indian

October 21, 2014, 05:54:04 am #34 Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 07:12:30 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: Two Socks on October 20, 2014, 11:07:16 pm
ASU is moving up by not playing.   Winning games in the Sunbelt just don't move you much.   Everybody in the conference has put in a subpar season except Georgia Southern , and they are not on the schedule.
Well you will be hard put to find any credible objective source that agrees with that part of your post.

Sagarin:
A-State #57
GaSo #77

Massey:
A-State #69
GaSo #81

Massey Composite:
A-State #59
GaSo #65

USAToday Composite:
A-State #56
GaSo # 71

Or non-objective source ( polls):

College Football News 128:
A-State #64
GaSo # 94

CBS 128:
A-State #70
GaSo # 77

USATODAY Re-rank:
A-State #55
GaSo # 74

GaSo does benefit by not having to play A-State or ULL this year.

If A-State can beat ULL tonight at their place ( they are a slight favorite to do so) , and continues to win(they will be  the favorite in all their remaining games), you will see them go up the 'charts' a little faster as the year goes along, because many P5 teams ahead of them will start dropping a little faster.

The good thing for A-State fans, regardless of what happens tonight or this year, this is a true rebuilding year ,and your team is one of the youngest, least experiences teams in FBS, with a new coaching staff. Your team has one thing going for it, and that is talent.

Your AD's goal of being the very best G5 team is not a pipe-dream, and might happen as soon as next year, so enjoy the ride because it is just beginning.

Seminole Indian

Latest Division 2 poll has:

Henderson State #4
OBU # 18
Harding #23

Ben

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 20, 2014, 05:49:01 pm
That is why their game with Utah State, one of the big-boys of G5 was so important, as is tomorrows game with UL, because the winner will probably be the conference champion.

It also hurts that they lost to Tennessee a game they had the talent to win, but were still adjusting to the new staff, and the staff to them.

There are very good reasons asu's ad is saying it is not a question of 'if' but 'when' they get in the access bowl. I think they will be one of the favorites next year if they keep their staff together.

A G5 being one of the top 4 and making the playoff  is almost impossible, but ASU is on the verge of being one of the top five G5's, and being in the mix for the access bowel every year. That is big, for schools like ASU and the recruits are taking notice, and ASU is one of the top G5's in that area also!

Winning, and only winning is what counts at the G5 level, and I expect ASU will be doing a lot of it.
well so much for top 5 g5 team lol. Its all good. Now the big focus is a bowl game

Dropkick

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 21, 2014, 05:54:04 am
Well you will be hard put to find any credible objective source that agrees with that part of your post.

Sagarin:
A-State #57
GaSo #77

Massey:
A-State #69
GaSo #81

Massey Composite:
A-State #59
GaSo #65

USAToday Composite:
A-State #56
GaSo # 71

Or non-objective source ( polls):

College Football News 128:
A-State #64
GaSo # 94

CBS 128:
A-State #70
GaSo # 77

USATODAY Re-rank:
A-State #55
GaSo # 74

GaSo does benefit by not having to play A-State or ULL this year.

If A-State can beat ULL tonight at their place ( they are a slight favorite to do so) , and continues to win(they will be  the favorite in all their remaining games), you will see them go up the 'charts' a little faster as the year goes along, because many P5 teams ahead of them will start dropping a little faster.

The good thing for A-State fans, regardless of what happens tonight or this year, this is a true rebuilding year ,and your team is one of the youngest, least experiences teams in FBS, with a new coaching staff. Your team has one thing going for it, and that is talent.

Your AD's goal of being the very best G5 team is not a pipe-dream, and might happen as soon as next year, so enjoy the ride because it is just beginning.

Where was ULL ranked? Please be sure and update us when the next poll comes out. Thanks for the info.

Dropkick

Let's go Seminole, what are the new ratings? You were very timely till ASU's coach stepped on his johnson down in La.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 14, 2014, 06:37:24 pm
Not a computer ranking but saw where Henderson State is # 6, and Harding # 13 in AFCA Coaches poll in Division 2.

Kudos to both.

and Ouachita Baptist is up there too
This is my non-signature signature.

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 19, 2014, 12:07:14 pm
After this weekends games  Sagarin Has:
#32- Arkansas
#57-A-State
#138- UCA
#247-UAPB

After 10/25 games

#31 Arkansas
#69 ASU
#129 UCA
#243 UAPB

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 20, 2014, 09:05:57 pm
This weeks Massey Composite:
FBS:
#38- Arkansas
#59-A-State

FCS:
#37- UCA
#120-UAPB

This week's Massey

#35 Arkansas
#70 ASU

ricepig

Quote from: Seminole Indian on October 20, 2014, 09:07:58 pm
This week USATODAY Composite rankings:

#45-Arkansas
#56-A-State

This week's USA TODAY Composite rankings

#43 Arkansas
#72 ASU

Dropkick

Quote from: ricepig on October 29, 2014, 11:15:52 am
This week's USA TODAY Composite rankings

#43 Arkansas
#72 ASU
Wonder why ole Seminole quit bringing us info?

Must have taken the ULL loss hard. Hasn't posted since. I thought he wasn't a fan?

Dropkick

Where is the OP. Would love to hear his take on the App State-ASU game.

Got_da_captain

Quote from: Dropkick on November 16, 2014, 08:50:03 pm
Where is the OP. Would love to hear his take on the App State-ASU game.
Almost 20 players out injured..injury bug hit hard on a already thin Defense. This is somewhat of a rebuilding year for them. 7-5 and a bowl game in an obvious down year isn't bad

Dropkick

Quote from: Got_da_captain on December 02, 2014, 10:01:07 pm
Almost 20 players out injured..injury bug hit hard on a already thin Defense. This is somewhat of a rebuilding year for them. 7-5 and a bowl game in an obvious down year isn't bad
Have you seen Seminole Indian, I'm worried about him. He used to be Johnny on the spot with all sorts of pro ASU info till the trip to ULL.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Got_da_captain

Quote from: Dropkick on December 02, 2014, 11:56:20 pm
Have you seen Seminole Indian, I'm worried about him. He used to be Johnny on the spot with all sorts of pro ASU info till the trip to ULL.

That hurt their ego a bit..young team feeling the affects of injury and change

Not easy recruiting with new coaches every year.

Dropkick

Quote from: Got_da_captain on December 03, 2014, 05:31:13 pm
That hurt their ego a bit..young team feeling the affects of injury and change

Not easy recruiting with new coaches every year.
That doesn't explain the OPs absence since the ULL debacle. He's not injured is he?