Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could we go bowling sub .500 record?

Started by Arazorbackguy1, October 13, 2014, 12:37:39 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Arazorbackguy1

If we lose to the 4-5 best teams in the country by less than a td each, minus Auburn? 

Could a bowl take us if we don't have 6 wins in the new playoff era?  I could see a bowl wanting Arkansas,regardless of our record if we keep it close.  Imagine the matchup possibilities.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Tick Hog

If they had to pick from a 5 win team I figure we'd have to at least be in the conversation. However I think we somehow get to 6 starting the weekend

shotgun7

Only if there are not enough 6 win teams to fill the slots

ZERO

Quote from: shotgun7 on October 13, 2014, 04:17:35 am
Only if there are not enough 6 win teams to fill the slots

I was about to say, are they even allowed to barring this situation?

It would be ridiculously lopsided. We would positively decimate any realistic Bowl opponent.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Doug

Here's how a sub .500 team gets a bowl invite (couple scenarios):

#1: You must play in a conference that has a championship game and you must be the representative of your division. You actually have to get a waiver of the standard bowl eligibility requirements (this happened to UCLA for the 2011-12 season. They were 6-6 and represented the Pac 12 south (and lost)).

#2: If you do not have a conference championship game for your division, you must have at least a 7-5 record and your conference must have an agreement with a bowl.

FYI, just because you have a 7-5 (or better) does not guarantee you a bowl invitation. Just ask the Sun Belt from last year. 7 teams were eligible... two got bowl invites. An 8-4 WKU team didn't get invited.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

texas tush hog

MountieDawg

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on October 13, 2014, 12:37:39 am
If we lose to the 4-5 best teams in the country by less than a td each, minus Auburn? 

Could a bowl take us if we don't have 6 wins in the new playoff era?  I could see a bowl wanting Arkansas,regardless of our record if we keep it close.  Imagine the matchup possibilities.

Congrats on your 1st season of college football... But you are required to win 6 games to make a bowl.... 
SEC!

HogScoutMaster

With Gurley maybe out I say we lose that losing streak this weekend, then we beat UAB
So now we have 5 wins !!!
I think we beat LSU and Mizzu

You heard it here folk 7-5
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

The_Iceman

We may be 5-7, and be better than half the teams playing in bowl games.

bigred223

Honestly, no. There is a .0000001% chance if there aren't enough 6 win teams. I don't recall that ever happening in my lifetime.

hogsanity

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 13, 2014, 09:45:39 am
We may be 5-7, and be better than half the teams playing in bowl games.

I've said it in other threads, but several national analysts said back in the summer that the Hogs could be one of the most improved teams in the nation and still go 4-8 or 5-7, the schedule is just that tough.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogarusa

That would be equal to playing in the college insider.com post season tournament in basketball.  No team needs to go bowling with a 1-7 conference record.  I think they should change the format and not allow bowl teams with sub .500 conference records, get rid of much of the waste that is out there
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Arazorbackguy1

October 13, 2014, 11:26:41 am #12 Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 01:58:43 pm by Arazorbackguy1
Not my first rodeo.  Just wasn't sure if it was like the NCAA tourney where it ebs and flows on "20 wins" to get in. Wasn't sure if 6 wins was the unwritten rule or what.  It appears it is written.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

superior_wang

Sub .500 shouldn't be eligible in college or pros IMO.

The_Iceman

Quote from: superior_wang on October 13, 2014, 12:39:35 pm
Sub .500 shouldn't be eligible in college or pros IMO.

Which is stupid because if we played Iowa's schedule, we would be 11-1 or 12-0. But, instead we play in the SEC West, where Iowa probably couldn't win 3 games with our schedule.

Hogarusa

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 13, 2014, 12:56:05 pm
Which is stupid because if we played Iowa's schedule, we would be 11-1 or 12-0. But, instead we play in the SEC West, where Iowa probably couldn't win 3 games with our schedule.

Hogs havent finished undefated since the 60s so i dont think changing the conference equals undefeated, especially when you make all things equal and dont give us all the benefits of SEC recruiting.  Iowa would win at least 4 games with our schedule
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

DeltaBoy

Not happening now if we get 6 wins Memphis or Shreveport will want us along with Fort Worth. 
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

IntegrityHog

This was never going to be a bowl season anyway.  We need to focus on developing our players, recruiting, and being good citizens.  Next year we may be in position to go 6-6, and get a bid to the Independence or Liberty bowl.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HogScoutMaster on October 13, 2014, 09:44:14 am
With Gurley maybe out I say we lose that losing streak this weekend, then we beat UAB
So now we have 5 wins !!!
I think we beat LSU and Mizzu

You heard it here folk 7-5

8 wins is very doable.

Pigdiana Jones

"In the East, college football is a cultural exercise.

On the West Coast, it is a tourist attraction.

In the Midwest, it is cannibalism.

But in the South, college football is a religion, and every Saturday is a holy day."

Iwastherein1969

lets win a SEC game...just one...and then maybe talking about bowl game possibilities might be legitimate...but when you haven't won an SEC game since 2011, well, all this "fan speak" about bowl games is nothing but REM SLEEP musings
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

HogScoutMaster

Quote from: Iwastherein1969 on October 13, 2014, 04:18:43 pm
but when you haven't won an SEC game since 2011

Now that puts in prospective !!!! 2011? Really
"A week of camp life is worth six months of
theoretical teaching in the meeting room."

FaytownHog

Quote from: bigred223 on October 13, 2014, 09:47:22 am
Honestly, no. There is a .0000001% chance if there aren't enough 6 win teams. I don't recall that ever happening in my lifetime.
It almost happened 2 years ago when we happy slappy the clown as coach and almost beat LSU at home. But it ended up 1 or 2 teams got to the 6 win mark on the final week to put it over. There's a thread on hogville buried somewhere about, should we go to a bowl if we get an invite after beating LSU but only having 5 wins.

RazorbackRon

You obviously don't know anything about college football rules.  I didn't even read anything past your crazy post.
Everyone is someone else's weirdo

This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER...it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven't been passed yet.

HF#1

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

WarPig88

So what are your thoughts on the team?

superior_wang

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 13, 2014, 12:56:05 pm

So we should be rewarded for 3 rent a wins ,  beating a really bad Texas tech team and  grabbing 1 sec victory? I don't think so

fakebobholt

Quote from: hogsanity on October 13, 2014, 09:50:30 am
I've said it in other threads, but several national analysts said back in the summer that the Hogs could be one of the most improved teams in the nation and still go 4-8 or 5-7, the schedule is just that tough.

why are people hanging on this thought. People wont glance over that record and say boy they didnt make a bowl but were improved. We have given up on next near and are now just happy if we play a couple good quarters. If next year we are 6-6 is that accaptable as long as wenlook better. The following year we will be starting over at alot of critical positions.  Mainly qb, ends and our stud RB's. People only look at wins and losses and thats what you are remembered by. You dont look back a teams record from 3-5 years ago and put a but with it.

MountieDawg

Seriously. How many people don't know the rule that you must win 6 games to be bowl eligible.... ITS A RULE!

RE-FRESHER FOR THOSE THAT NEED IT:
You get 4 downs to make a 1st down
You must go 10 yards to get a 1st down
You cannot throw a forward pass once you have crossed the line of scrimmage
SEC!

Shoat

Have we sunk that low to even WANT to go to a bowl game with a sub .500 record?  I'm glad that there's a rule in place against it as I fear some schools would be tempted to actually accept the invite.

Snouty

There's the Fayetteville Fun Bowl (hee hee).

ZERO

Quote from: FaytownHog on October 13, 2014, 04:23:35 pm
It almost happened 2 years ago when we happy slappy the clown as coach and almost beat LSU at home. But it ended up 1 or 2 teams got to the 6 win mark on the final week to put it over. There's a thread on hogville buried somewhere about, should we go to a bowl if we get an invite after beating LSU but only having 5 wins.

We've lost to LSU by one score the past two years - with the two worst teams we've had since the modern football era began. And LSU is worse this year than the previous two. We get them at home. We should have terrific chances against Georgia, Missouri, LSU, and, of course, UAB. I doubt we win all of those games, of course.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Doug on October 13, 2014, 08:31:44 am
Here's how a sub .500 team gets a bowl invite (couple scenarios):

#1: You must play in a conference that has a championship game and you must be the representative of your division. You actually have to get a waiver of the standard bowl eligibility requirements (this happened to UCLA for the 2011-12 season. They were 6-6 and represented the Pac 12 south (and lost)).

#2: If you do not have a conference championship game for your division, you must have at least a 7-5 record and your conference must have an agreement with a bowl.

FYI, just because you have a 7-5 (or better) does not guarantee you a bowl invitation. Just ask the Sun Belt from last year. 7 teams were eligible... two got bowl invites. An 8-4 WKU team didn't get invited.

Or you could be Notre Dame, I think the requirement is 1+ win ;)

Doug

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehogOr you could be Notre Dame, I think the requirement is 1+ win ;)
I know your comment was made in jest, but I wanted to clarify this: If ND is in the Top 8, they automatically got an invite to a BCS bowl.

With the CFB Playoffs now... I'm not sure how this impacts them, BYU, Army or Navy.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: Doug on October 13, 2014, 07:10:20 pm
I know your comment was made in jest, but I wanted to clarify this: If ND is in the Top 8, they automatically got an invite to a BCS bowl.

With the CFB Playoffs now... I'm not sure how this impacts them, BYU, Army or Navy.

I have said it before, I think we should have an 8 teams playoff, with the champions of the so called power-5 conferences having an automatic invite and then three ad-hoc/at large bids.