Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bama site: "Arkansas was 2 TD's better than Alabama last night"

Started by WizardofhOgZ, October 12, 2014, 07:10:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

Yep but we are too slow, inattentive and unable to take advantage of the gifts we are given.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WizardofhOgZ

Just struck me as unusual objectivity from a Bammer site.

Bryant Disciple

As a Bama fan, this game was one of the strangest I can remember. If any number of unusual things (Arkansas unforced fumble ta the goal line, the blocked PAT, etc.) don't happen, then Bama gets the L.

At the conclusion, I felt like Bama simply survived. I suppose the Bama D played well, but the offense was pathetic and the special teams downright horrible. I have never seen a sloppier Saban team.

DukeOfPork

Quote from: Bryant Disciple on October 13, 2014, 03:26:02 pm
As a Bama fan, this game was one of the strangest I can remember. If any number of unusual things (Arkansas unforced fumble ta the goal line, the blocked PAT, etc.) don't happen, then Bama gets the L.

At the conclusion, I felt like Bama simply survived. I suppose the Bama D played well, but the offense was pathetic and the special teams downright horrible. I have never seen a sloppier Saban team.

Our defensive line controlled the line of scrimmage and if I was a Bama fan, that would be my #1 concern because that was not a fluke.  If Sims was not mobile, I'm not sure Bama gets a sniff of the endzone in this game.

Otherwise, I agree with you that it was an overall sloppy game by both teams.  It's just that our mistakes cost us more than Bama's mistakes cost them.  Bama also fortuitously regained possession of a couple of their fumbles.  On another day, that bounces another way and Bama is having to contemplate what to do after back-to-back losses.

But credit to the Tide, winning teams win even when they are having a bad game.  And that's what Bama did.

And I don't see any dropoff on the defensive side.  That still looks like a solid Alabama defense to me.  They shut us down when it mattered.

EastexHawg

I have never seen a sloppier Saban team.

I had a Bama fan come into my office this morning and say, "I've been going to Bama games since I was seven years old and that's the sloppiest game I have ever seen them play."

I'm guessing there may have been some from the Shula/Dubose/Curry years forgotten along the way, but Saturday night was pretty bad.  I told my wife Saban was going to have a stroke after the third botched punt return and actually kill someone if they fumbled another one.

LRHawg

It was incredibly frustrating watching their fumbles bounce right back to their players.

The_Iceman

Well, honestly that may be about right:

-fumbled touchdown by Walker = 7 points
-missed extra point = 1 point
-bobbled snap on field goal = possible 3 points.
-dropped interception in end zone = led to 7 Bama points.

So that mean it could have been 18 points more in our favor.

Bryant Disciple

Again, from my perspective as a Bama fan, I can draw some conclusions from my emotional state while watching the game.

Whenever Arkansas had the ball, I felt pretty good (because our defense showed up).

Whenever Alabama had the ball, I was nervous and annoyed. It seemed like an achievement if we could simply get to the line of scrimmage and snap the ball without incurring some sort of stupid penalty.

When Alabama was receiving a punt, I was terrified! After a while I really wanted us to start fair-catching every punt, no matter the circumstances. lol

Hogs, on a positive note, your program is trending UP. I watched the A&M / Arkansas game and you absolutely should have won it. A few different bounces and Arkansas is 5-1 right now.

goneal

Two points.
1) No, we were one point worse than they were.
2) I could never imagine an Arkansas writer being that open and honest about a Razorback
    performance. Very refreshing. But then again, they recognize excellence and have
    come to expect it. They don't tend to praise, encourage and justify mediocrity.
To all the BA haters; just so you know, only HALF his helmet stickers are for participation. The other half is for throwing the ball into the stands.

three hog night

I saw something that Saban got upset with some media.  Are the fans raising hell about it too? 
Petrino left a mess and Bielema is trying to fill in the talent gaps.  Anderson finally has some talent to work with.  He needs more at select positions and that will come in the next recruiting class. 
Posters that think they are Jim Rhome are ruining message boards.

Bryant Disciple

Quote from: three hog night on October 13, 2014, 06:40:51 pm
I saw something that Saban got upset with some media.  Are the fans raising hell about it too? 

Saban had a mini rant today at his presser, calling out fans and others who didn't respect the 1-point win.

I guess Saban caught wind of the negative chatter.... that the fans were not happy about Bama's performance.

The truth is that Bama fans have been spoiled in recent years, and have come to expect a better standard of play by Alabama. (This is no disrespect to Arkansas - don't tell Saban, but four fumbles on kick returns is ridiculous!)

For the record, I thought the game would be very close and said so on this forum. Arkansas has a hugely improved team - I bet the Hogs could win the SEC East! (Alabama is trending down, but that's another story.)

uams1989

Agree completely with BD. I thought Bama's D played well enough. Bama's O was atrocious but I have to give the Hogs' D a lot of credit for that. That was the best I've seen an Arkansas D play since before Petrino.

I do think Bama's O is out of sync but the Hogs deserve some props.

BTW, I LOVED the Hogs uniforms!!  Wish the Hogs would stick with those. Very classy!
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

LZH

I couldn't read it all, hurts too much to re-live the whole thing.

HogRedTilImDead

Quote from: Bryant Disciple on October 13, 2014, 07:26:59 pm
Saban had a mini rant today at his presser, calling out fans and others who didn't respect the 1-point win.

I guess Saban caught wind of the negative chatter.... that the fans were not happy about Bama's performance.

The truth is that Bama fans have been spoiled in recent years, and have come to expect a better standard of play by Alabama. (This is no disrespect to Arkansas - don't tell Saban, but four fumbles on kick returns is ridiculous!)

For the record, I thought the game would be very close and said so on this forum. Arkansas has a hugely improved team - I bet the Hogs could win the SEC East! (Alabama is trending down, but that's another story.)

"Don't tell Saban."
lol!!
Seriously though, the looks Saban was giving Kiffin on the sidelines during the game.  I swear I was waiting on Kiffin to burst into flames any moment. He was not pleased.
GO HOGS!!

redeye

Quote from: Bryant Disciple on October 13, 2014, 04:55:21 pm
Again, from my perspective as a Bama fan, I can draw some conclusions from my emotional state while watching the game.

Whenever Arkansas had the ball, I felt pretty good (because our defense showed up).

Whenever Alabama had the ball, I was nervous and annoyed. It seemed like an achievement if we could simply get to the line of scrimmage and snap the ball without incurring some sort of stupid penalty.

When Alabama was receiving a punt, I was terrified! After a while I really wanted us to start fair-catching every punt, no matter the circumstances. lol

Hogs, on a positive note, your program is trending UP. I watched the A&M / Arkansas game and you absolutely should have won it. A few different bounces and Arkansas is 5-1 right now.

I have four words for you: wet field and kiffin.

Thanks for the kind words!

Quote from: uams1989 on October 13, 2014, 09:03:56 pm
Agree completely with BD. I thought Bama's D played well enough. Bama's O was atrocious but I have to give the Hogs' D a lot of credit for that. That was the best I've seen an Arkansas D play since before Petrino.

I do think Bama's O is out of sync but the Hogs deserve some props.

BTW, I LOVED the Hogs uniforms!!  Wish the Hogs would stick with those. Very classy!

They were a little too dark and blue, but I otherwise liked them.  Still think our 2006 uniforms are the best.

Btw, I can't help but wonder if our uniforms had Sims a little confused, because he seemed to throw it right to Arkansas players a couple of times.

Iwastherein1969

does the praise of ALabama fans who saw their team play just well enough to get lucky and beat Arkansas really mean a thing ?   if so, what does it mean other than they celebrate yet another 'ho hum' win over Arkansas and we are left, once again mumbling to ourselves of, yeah but what if....might as well been 52-0 again based on how the SEC counts wins and losses
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Peter Porker

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 12, 2014, 08:35:01 pm
Yep but we are too slow, inattentive and unable to take advantage of the gifts we are given.

and that's just the fans!
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

gmarv

the difference is we all were still watching and hoping at the end of the game.whereas the last 2 years by half time we were watching without any hope.

westside_player

I think Bama is slipping back in to mediocrity where they belong. It won't be too much longer we see the fire Saban banners flying above  Bryant Denny

uams1989

Quote from: westside_player on October 14, 2014, 07:14:44 am
I think Bama is slipping back in to mediocrity where they belong.

Betting you are relatively young and don't know a thing about football history.

Considering Bama has far more wins, conference championships, and national championships (even if you just count the AP/UPI awards) than any other program in the SEC, Bama is right where they belong.  I hope you're right because going back to where we belong is being at the top.  Thanks for the sentiment!!
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

Redhogs

I think Bama is slipping back in to mediocrity where they belong. It won't be too much longer we see the fire Saban banners flying above  Bryant Denny
Wishfull thinking.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

jgphillips3

Mediocre for Bama is 8-4 or 9-3.  Fans with perspective remember that even Bear Bryant had bad seasons.  It just happens.  Saban has three titles.  I would trade our next twelve years to have their last 6 years.

Albert Einswine

It won't be too much longer we see the fire Saban banners flying above  Bryant Denny

That only happens to coaches who deserve it, Theresa.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

cc

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 13, 2014, 04:33:46 pm
Well, honestly that may be about right:

-fumbled touchdown by Walker = 7 points
-missed extra point = 1 point
-bobbled snap on field goal = possible 3 points.
-dropped interception in end zone = led to 7 Bama points.

So that mean it could have been 18 points more in our favor.

Should not have been a bobbled snap.  If he hits Hatcher on crossing route with no one within 10 yards instead of forcing it to a covered receiver, Hatcher may score or gets inside the 10 yard line.  At least 22 points left out there.  Probably 28-7 Hogs.

Not happy at all about a loss, but it is sure is a lot better discussing all the but's, if's, and or's instead of why we were totally inept and got beat 52-0.  No doubt that the Hogs are much better than I thought they would be right now.

After loosing the last couple of years, they will figure out how to win again.