Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For Those Not Patient in Year 2

Started by DoctorSusscrofa, October 12, 2014, 12:20:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WarPig88

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 12, 2014, 01:21:41 pm
Some people have attached themselves to puppies like Malzahn, Petrino, Jimmy Johnson, John Gruden, Art Briles, Saban, Miles, and Mullens. Sometimes puppies get hit and sometimes they don't. But we never throw a puppy under the bus, even if it's not our favorite puppy.

Surely you can recognize that not being a cheer leader for a new coach is not the same as throwing one under the bus?

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 12, 2014, 01:11:34 pm
Umm, Bama, LSU, and Fla were all top ten and on the schedule. South Carolina and Georgia were on the schedule as well.

It was no cake walk and LSU and Bama were literally at their Zenith as programs and Aub won a NC during that time as well.

Just saying, it doesn't have to take six years even in today's SEC climate.

They weren't all top 15. We didn't start the season with any if them in August. We didn't beat all the ones you mentioned in BP's 2nd year.

You are right, some teams don't take 6 years to rebuild. But some do. And one team is number 1 now.  Someone said you can't compare coaches. It's true. They're all different. And so are their individual jobs. Will it take CBB 6 years? I doubt it. But it will take more than 1.5.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Letsroll1200

Quote from: rude1 on October 12, 2014, 12:42:37 pm
Dan Mullen had only one losing season at MsState his first. There was no 11 game conference losing streaks to deal with. Much easier to be patient when you are at least a bowl team every year than when you are churning out historically bad numbers when it comes to winning and losing. Try another comparison.

We will be a bowl team this year and this is giving from a guy that thought we would win 4-5 games coming into the season. Everything but our kicking game is showing progress.

WarPig88

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on October 12, 2014, 01:27:48 pm
They weren't all top 15. We didn't start the season with any if them in August. We didn't beat all the ones you mentioned in BP's 2nd year.

You are right, some teams don't take 6 years to rebuild. But some do. And one team is number 1 now.  Someone said you can't compare coaches. It's true. They're all different. And so are their individual jobs. Will it take CBB 6 years? I doubt it. But it will take more than 1.5.

I don't think that we should summarily judge CBB in year two either, but waiting for year 6 because Mullen did something in year 6 at Miss St isn't necessarily the right thing here is all I meant.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 12, 2014, 01:12:30 pm
Yep, if you are talking about coach worship.

Been a fan of the Hogs through thick and thin for 4 decades.
So do you buy tickets when the team is losing? Do you follow the team when they're losing? I'm curious as to what your definition of support is.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: WarPig88 on October 12, 2014, 01:26:11 pm
Surely you can recognize that not being a cheer leader for a new coach is not the same as throwing one under the bus?

Cheer leader? I don't expect anyone to be a cheer leader. But complaining about a coach and conveniently comparing him to coaches in better circumstances as if one is shocked he hasn't matched them (and some surely do this), is silly.  Bielema has two QBs and 2 or 3 receivers coming that should be upgrades from current players. We have several other recruits and young players who appear to be upgrades from current seniors. A truly weak defense from 2013 held Bama to 14 points last night.  I think losing to Bama stinks, but it's no surprise for someone who hoped Petrino would beat them. We are getting better. And we all should have the sense to realize 1.5 years wasn't the legacy of BP. His legacy at Arkansas was all 4 years. Bilelema's will also be longer than 2.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: hogchic on October 12, 2014, 01:19:23 pm
I think the biggest problem right now is quality depth, not coaching. Our online played the entire game, no subs. No wonder we weren't getting a push late in the game.

Time is what fixes that, people need to calm down and give it a chance to work.

Also, when you looked at the schedule before the season, so far which games have we lost that you thought we would win? The teams we lost to were ranked in the top 10 when we played them. Most peoples expectations were low when the season started, now all the sudden people are acting like they expected us to make he playoffs this year. Calm down people don't panic.

I agree. My post quote really wasn't meant to say it has to take 6 years. It was meant to say it might take time and still be possible. Don't assume 18 games defines the ceiling of any coaches program.