Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Shovel Pass

Started by 870piggy, October 12, 2014, 06:44:38 am

Previous topic - Next topic

870piggy

Anyone remember the shovel pass to cornelius during the Texas Tech game??? It worked so well and i was 100% certain we would have seen it again by now....Can someone call Chaney and tell him to run that play again against Georgia??

Pig Worshipper

He's still stuck in the elevator.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Texas tech and read it all the way. Luckily BA scrambled and scored on it

870piggy

No they didn't... Cornelius went in pretty much untouched i believe

Arazorbackguy1

How about a screen on 3rd and 8 when they are obviously bringing the whole team
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Jborohog09

Quote from: 870piggy on October 12, 2014, 10:11:38 am
No they didn't... Cornelius went in pretty much untouched i believe

You're wrong.  Tech read it like a pop-up book and Allen made a great play.  Go to the 5:40 mark of this vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1juN_cqbUA&list=UUnASx371NEPTTcPSEMMhJ2Q

Jborohog09

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on October 12, 2014, 10:21:23 am
How about a screen on 3rd and 8 when they are obviously bringing the whole team

This has been discussed before.  Chaney thinks that the o-line aren't very good in the open field at blocking.

870piggy

I stand corrected on what game it was but not the play...it was not against texas tech but against nichols st. in which it worked perfect.. Yes it was Nichols St. , but it still looked like a good play... As almost all of ours where that afternoon.

arsuperhog

There have been several plays that have worked very well at times this season that we haven't seen again. For example, against, I believe it was against Texas A&M, Kendrick Edwards had a nice gain on a wheel route down the sideline. I don't think he's even been thrown to since. The shovel pass could of been a nice change of pace when the running game was largely unsuccessful against Bama. Why are we not throwing more to Hunter Henry? He has the best hands on the team and catches everything thrown to him. Did we run the Derby TD play anymore after the TD? I just don't understand why we seem to move away from what seems to be working

31to6

Quote from: arsuperhog on October 12, 2014, 12:07:19 pm
There have been several plays that have worked very well at times this season that we haven't seen again. For example, against, I believe it was against Texas A&M, Kendrick Edwards had a nice gain on a wheel route down the sideline. I don't think he's even been thrown to since. The shovel pass could of been a nice change of pace when the running game was largely unsuccessful against Bama. Why are we not throwing more to Hunter Henry? He has the best hands on the team and catches everything thrown to him. Did we run the Derby TD play anymore after the TD? I just don't understand why we seem to move away from what seems to be working
Shovel play with a wet ball against a defense that was getting in the backfield a lot is just asking for trouble.

You can tell how serious the staff were about ball security in this game by how many carries JWill got vs. Alex.

The thing *I* think we left out was *anything* but a 1-back spread set on our (pathetic) 2 minute drills. Our most dynamic players are running backs. To not try to get the ball in their hands even once when the game is on the line is just silly when you have almost 3 minutes to get the ball to field goal range.

onebadrubi

Plays that are working on being put away and not brought back out, unfortunately.

Kendrick Edwards as shown as an outside receiver he can play.  Cornelious over the middle (remember big 3rd down conversion in A&M game held on when he got lit up), derby and henry being used on every possession (did see this some in the bama game, not enough).  Holister was running nice curl and routes in the flats early in the year, now he's no where to be seen. 

Something I want to see as well is 1 TE set with 1 back and 3 wr or 2 wr and 2 backs and running it more.  We are forcing defenses to stack the box on normal downs and distances just simply  because out personel packages often. 

hobhog

Quote from: 870piggy on October 12, 2014, 06:44:38 am
Anyone remember the shovel pass to cornelius during the Texas Tech game??? It worked so well and i was 100% certain we would have seen it again by now....Can someone call Chaney and tell him to run that play again against Georgia??

Why don' t you call him yourself and get out from behind your keyboard?

I'm sure he'd love to hear from you.

Piglet Dispersion Syndrome

Cornelius is a liability from the blocking aspect. We ask our WRs to block and he was just getting tossed around. If we aren't going to scheme him to get open, than we should just put in a stronger body.