Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Right on schedule.

Started by PorkerOinker, October 12, 2014, 01:33:30 am

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkerOinker

When this season started I predicted Arkansas would go 6-6 and go to a bowl game. Those six wins included four non conference wins and two conference wins, through the Alabama game I us at 3-3 overall and 0-3 in conference. I had the Hogs picked to beat LSU (which I still feel we will win by 2tds or better) and then with wins over either Georgia in Little Rock or Ole Miss in Fayetteville.

Before this season started most posters on here were predicting 4-5 wins, with the occasional troll saying, "if he doesn't win 8 or more he should be fired". Also, most on here had us losing to Auburn, Tex A&M, and Alabama, well guess what folks this is exactly how this has played out with the A&M and BAMA being much closer than most expected.

We are right on schedule and with the recruiting class we will be bringing in we will make even more progress next year, I'm thinking in the 7-8 win range leaning more towards 8. Whether any of you will admit it or not this team is performing at a lot higher level than most of thought they would be and that is a good thing.

The good majority of you need to take off the Hog colored glasses and realize we are right where most of us thought we would be, improved from last year, but still a recruiting class or two from competing for the West.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

shotgun7

I still think we will go bowling... but this is 2 games now that have slipped away, and could have put that same 6-6 team at 8-4 (or better) While most didn't expect wins against A&M or Bama, being so close, and letting it slip away and not capitalizing is what is hurting right now. Had we just got beat in those 2 games, it wouldn't be so bad... But to lose the way we have... its just tough as strange as that may sound.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: shotgun7 on October 12, 2014, 01:41:12 am
I still think we will go bowling... but this is 2 games now that have slipped away, and could have put that same 6-6 team at 8-4 (or better) While most didn't expect wins against A&M or Bama, being so close, and letting it slip away and not capitalizing is what is hurting right now. Had we just got beat in those 2 games, it wouldn't be so bad... But to lose the way we have... its just tough as strange as that may sound.

I agree 100% it is tough to sit and watch games like that, but to act is if these games are setting the program back or hindering our progress is ridiculous.

shotgun7

Quote from: PorkerOinker on October 12, 2014, 01:45:57 am
I agree 100% it is tough to sit and watch games like that, but to act is if these games are setting the program back or hindering our progress is ridiculous.

But wins could have catapulted us to "the next level".

However, I just got to watch BB in the post game interview and man, kudos to BB. He will get us there...True passion right there.

TNRazorbacker

IntegrityHog

We'll get there, but it is going to take some time.  Petrino burned this program to the ground.

Steef

Quote from: PorkerOinker on October 12, 2014, 01:33:30 am
When this season started I predicted Arkansas would go 6-6 and go to a bowl game. Those six wins included four non conference wins and two conference wins, through the Alabama game I us at 3-3 overall and 0-3 in conference. I had the Hogs picked to beat LSU (which I still feel we will win by 2tds or better) and then with wins over either Georgia in Little Rock or Ole Miss in Fayetteville.

Before this season started most posters on here were predicting 4-5 wins, with the occasional troll saying, "if he doesn't win 8 or more he should be fired". Also, most on here had us losing to Auburn, Tex A&M, and Alabama, well guess what folks this is exactly how this has played out with the A&M and BAMA being much closer than most expected.

We are right on schedule and with the recruiting class we will be bringing in we will make even more progress next year, I'm thinking in the 7-8 win range leaning more towards 8. Whether any of you will admit it or not this team is performing at a lot higher level than most of thought they would be and that is a good thing.

The good majority of you need to take off the Hog colored glasses and realize we are right where most of us thought we would be, improved from last year, but still a recruiting class or two from competing for the West.

Really good post.

moses_007

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 12, 2014, 06:25:16 am
We'll get there, but it is going to take some time.  Petrino burned this program to the ground.
I guess you've forgotten that we finished Petrino's last season ranked No. 5 in the nation.

Petrino didn't burn down the program... John L. Smith did.

goodguytex

Quote from: steefhog on October 12, 2014, 06:27:09 am

Really good post.
Ditto and my thoughts precisely.
Quote from: moses_007 on October 12, 2014, 06:28:04 am
I guess you've forgotten that we finished Petrino's last season ranked No. 5 in the nation.

Our bad recruiting the last two years while petrino was hc and horrible attrition rate didn't help either.

Dark Helmet Hog

Spot on post.

Being more competitive than expected has raised expectations. God forbid we win a game we shouldn't. Some posters will expect us to go undefeated after that.

DeltaBoy

More wait till next year and we need more recruiting; No we need hardnosed mental toughness and crunch time execution from our QB.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: DeltaBoy on October 12, 2014, 08:08:45 am
More wait till next year and we need more recruiting; No we need hardnosed mental toughness and crunch time execution from our QB.

You sure change your tune on a whim... I agree with you in that there is a problem, but your solutions are asinine at best... You can't beat confidence or desire into a player, but you sure can beat it out of them...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: PorkerOinker on October 12, 2014, 01:45:57 am

Word...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

Steef

We are in the middle of year two....of a four year rebuild. Everybidy acknowledged it would be four years....or more...when Bret got here.

Middle of year two. Three losses. All top ranked opponents....not Rutgers.

We went from 52-0....to 14-13.

ricepig

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 12, 2014, 08:12:04 am
You sure change your tune on a whim... I agree with you in that there is a problem, but your solutions are asinine at best... You can't beat confidence or desire into a player, but you sure can beat it out of them...

Delta's just going for the post count, don't read too much into it.

hogcard1964

I predicted 8 wins and am sticking with that (regardless of the fact it's obvious we're going to win 7).   ;)

Capt. Hamm

Good post. I thought 5-7 would be about right for this year. We are much better than I thought we would be.

IntegrityHog

Quote from: moses_007 on October 12, 2014, 06:28:04 am

Bozo doesn't get nearly as much blame as he should, but regardless, this is still mostly Petrino's fault.

Steef

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 12, 2014, 08:28:04 am
Bozo doesn't get nearly as much blame as he should, but regardless, this is still mostly Petrino's fault.

The fact that we had JLS at all... is Petrinos fault.

hogcard1964

Quote from: steefhog on October 12, 2014, 08:32:01 am
The fact that we had JLS at all... is Petrinos fault.

Who hired Bielema, Smith and Petrino?

jdevers

104-0, that IS our cumulative score against Alabama the last two years.  This year we lost due to a blocked extra point 13-14. That is progress, significant progress.  That is the closest we have came to beating Alabama since 2006. 

I hated watching us blow opportunities as much as anyone else, but that is football.  The ball was wet all game, even when it stopped raining there was mist until the end.  Neither team did a great job of hanging on to it and certainly made no circus catches.

bpoecell

Great post. I hope some of these whiny, half-assed fans who "want to win" too bad to support this team as it claws and scratches and fights it's ass off year two into a complete rebuild just delete their accounts next year. They don't deserve to jump on the bandwagon then if they can't support these players now.

Jek Tono Porkins

I wonder how people thought we would lose the games they penciled in as losses. Losses are ugly. Most of the time you beat yourself. You make mistakes. What would have made this loss more palatable? Losing by 21 points? Getting plain whipped? What do you people want?
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

bphi11ips

We're way ahead of schedule.

We were a split second from going up on Auburn 28-21 late in the 3rd quarter on the road.

We led A&M by 14 in the fourth quarter.

We led Alabama by 6 in the fourth quarter.

We are dominating time of possession.

We are beating opponents up on both sides of the ball.

We showed some ability yesterday to pass when we can't impose our will on the ground.

Our defense is the real surprise.  They are swarming to the ball and tackling well.  They just held one of the best rushing teams in the country to 67 yards.  It was no fluke.  We seem to have found a defense.

Now - if some of you girls will just stop jumping on every poster with the gumption to point out the obvious things that aren't perfect, your blood pressure will drop 10 points. 

DeltaHog almost had me convinced we could win before the game.  He was that sure.  I was geared up to be happy with a competitive 14 point loss.  That would have been on schedule.  Instead, we outplayed the most talented (right now not the best) team in the country and should have won.  But he's right when he says we need mental toughness.  This team needs to learn to win.  He's right when he says we need crunch time execution from our QB.  We gained 30 total yards on our last 5 possessions.  Credit Alabama's defense.  Blame the receivers and Chaney's sometimes puzzling play calling.  But face it.  Everyone else does.  We have problems at QB.  He's better.  Maybe he's on schedule.  But don't tell DeltaHog he didn't see what he saw last night. 

Hogville is one giant modern water cooler.  We aren't coaches or journalists.  Just a bunch of people expressing their thoughts on what happened in a football game.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

hawgbawb

Quote from: shotgun7 on October 12, 2014, 01:41:12 am
We barely lost 2 games that not many gave us a chance in. We are ahead of schedule.  We outplayed Bama and statistically were the better team yesterday.
I post, therefor I am.
John Highsmith Adams rocks.

LJHOG

We have a shot a Georgia and LSU.  Not much of one but a shot.  I had us at 5-7 before the season.  I'm thinking 4-8 is more of a possibility.  We're just too easy to defend.

PorkerOinker

Yesterday had nothing to do with mental toughness, if it would have we would he be fell apart after the Walker fumble or BAMA's first TD. And as for QB, BA is good enough to win in the SEC, is he good enough to win the division? I'm a it sure on that, but you know what it took Dan Mullen 6 years to find his QB, Will Muschamp still hasn't found his, nor has Nick Saban and Les Miles hasn't been able to find one in 3-4 years.

PorkerOinker

Just imagine if we were in the SEC-East we would be competing for a spot in the SEC championship this year.

snortman

Quote from: PorkerOinker on October 12, 2014, 09:09:38 am
Just imagine if we were in the SEC-East we would be competing for a spot in the SEC championship this year.

LOL, LOL,

HSVhogfan2

Quote from: goodguytex on October 12, 2014, 06:32:18 am
Ditto and my thoughts precisely. Our bad recruiting the last two years while petrino was hc and horrible attrition rate didn't help either.

So exactly how many years are you people gonna blame Petrino for the failings of the football program?
"The post you have just read was used with the express written consent of HSVHogfan2."

Veni Sancte Spiritus

Do you wish to rise? Begin by descending. You plan a tower that will pierce the clouds? Lay first the foundation of humility.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HSVhogfan2 on October 12, 2014, 09:22:35 am
So exactly how many years are you people gonna blame Petrino for the failings of the football program?

Until they win 11 games again.

Pigasaurus

Isn't 1 of our 4 non conference games against a lower tier division team and not count toward the 6 needed to go bowling?
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy

IntegrityHog

This was never going to be a bowl year anyway.  We are rebuilding, and are way ahead of schedule.  Does that translate into wins?  Not this year, we'll be 0-8 in the SEC again.  However, we should be in position to compete for 2-3 SEC wins next year, and that get's back where we need to be - a minor bowl.  Year 4 and beyond?  I'm not sure, but even getting to 6-6 in the SEC West is a big deal, and should be more than enough to secure CBB's job for the forseeable future.

secfan30

Quote from: pigasaurus on October 12, 2014, 09:28:13 am
Isn't 1 of our 4 non conference games against a lower tier division team and not count toward the 6 needed to go bowling?

That rule is different than it used to be.

bphi11ips

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 12, 2014, 09:31:05 am
This was never going to be a bowl year anyway.  We are rebuilding, and are way ahead of schedule.  Does that translate into wins?  Not this year, we'll be 0-8 in the SEC again.  However, we should be in position to compete for 2-3 SEC wins next year, and that get's back where we need to be - a minor bowl.  Year 4 and beyond?  I'm not sure, but even getting to 6-6 in the SEC West is a big deal, and should be more than enough to secure CBB's job for the forseeable future.

Nah. We'll win a couple of conference games.  This team is good. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

pigstuff

Quote from: jdevers on October 12, 2014, 08:33:38 am
104-0, that IS our cumulative score against Alabama the last two years.  This year we lost due to a blocked extra point 13-14. That is progress, significant progress.  That is the closest we have came to beating Alabama since 2006. 

I hated watching us blow opportunities as much as anyone else, but that is football.  The ball was wet all game, even when it stopped raining there was mist until the end.  Neither team did a great job of hanging on to it and certainly made no circus catches.

I wonder how much is improvement by Arkansas or Alabama being a shadow of their former self.

pigstuff

Quote from: pigasaurus on October 12, 2014, 09:28:13 am

You can count one FCS win for bowl purposes.

ChicoHog

Quote from: PorkerOinker on October 12, 2014, 09:07:07 am
Yesterday had nothing to do with mental toughness, if it would have we would he be fell apart after the Walker fumble or BAMA's first TD. And as for QB, BA is good enough to win in the SEC, is he good enough to win the division? I'm a it sure on that, but you know what it took Dan Mullen 6 years to find his QB, Will Muschamp still hasn't found his, nor has Nick Saban and Les Miles hasn't been able to find one in 3-4 years.
Good post except for the Saban QB part.  He has had good QBs until this year.  I agree with you on Miles for sure.  Bama is not the team they have been but they are still tough, especially on D.  I think we beat LSU and maybe Mizzou. I don't see us beating MSU or Ole Miss as I hate to admit it.  Those two schools are looking very good.  I would like to play auburn again as we have improved since that game. 

Dirty

LSU and Missouri will be wins......

secfan30

Quote from: pigstuff on October 12, 2014, 09:38:33 am
I wonder how much is improvement by Arkansas or Alabama being a shadow of their former self.

Saban is still their head coach and they still bring in top classes every year. Until there is a change at one of these they should always be favored to beat who they play.

The way Arkansas played last night showed we have improved.

Rooster Hogburn

We'll get 'em next time. Great try!

#nationaltitleunderconstruction
To forgive is to set a pisoner free and discover that the prisoner was you.-Lewis B. Smedes

PIGskin Pride

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 12, 2014, 08:12:04 am

Man...  that post made me pause.  "You can't beat confidence and desire into a player but you sure can beat it out of them".  Great thought. 

Razorbacks#1

Quote from: LJHOG on October 12, 2014, 09:02:54 am
We have a shot a Georgia and LSU.  Not much of one but a shot.  I had us at 5-7 before the season.  I'm thinking 4-8 is more of a possibility.  We're just too easy to defend.
No shot at Mizzou who got blanked by uga yesterday. OK
"You sleep safely in your beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.

THUNDER!

fakebobholt

Quote from: IntegrityHog on October 12, 2014, 06:25:16 am

if burning it to the ground means 10-11 wins a year, BCS game and competitive then I want a burned down program. Dang you BP for having us in the top 5.

PorkerOinker

Quote from: snortman on October 12, 2014, 09:17:09 am
LOL, LOL,

Laugh all you want Arkansas would be battling Georgia for the top spot in the East this year.